Options

Time change. Again.

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    My cats got me up an hour early yesterday. Similar to kids, they know when it's feeding time. Today, I got up an hour earlier than I needed to. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I laid in bed and watched the news. So, the hour of extra sleep is kind of BS.
  • Options
    I would rather it dark in the AM and lighter in the evening.  This sunset at 430 crap is awful...
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    I would rather it dark in the AM and lighter in the evening.  This sunset at 430 crap is awful...
    Me too.

Going to work in the dark and coming home from work in the dark SUCKS !
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Awake at 3:50 this morning. Not like I need to be up at 5:00 usually, but my brain often thinks I do. I did not appreciate the "thinking time" because thoughts at that hour are usually not pleasant, but I did appreciate the extra reading time that I had instead. 
    https://youtu.be/sEj8lUx0gwY
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Totally. Also, thanks for fucking up my kids sleep schedule again whoever decided on this! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    My cats got me up an hour early yesterday. Similar to kids, they know when it's feeding time. Today, I got up an hour earlier than I needed to. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I laid in bed and watched the news. So, the hour of extra sleep is kind of BS.
    Yours too with the food? We were able to put ours off for half an hour; they were not amused. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Yours too with the food? We were able to put ours off for half an hour; they were not amused. 
    Yes. They were relentless yesterday. Today they also started in earlier than usual. Like you, I was able to ignore them for about 30 minutes. When I fed them dinner I waited until the normal time. Hopefully, they will be back on schedule tomorrow. Even animals get annoyed when we change the clocks. Time to stop this madness. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Yes. They were relentless yesterday. Today they also started in earlier than usual. Like you, I was able to ignore them for about 30 minutes. When I fed them dinner I waited until the normal time. Hopefully, they will be back on schedule tomorrow. Even animals get annoyed when we change the clocks. Time to stop this madness. 
    Same here.

Has anyone ever come to a conclusion why we still do this stupid shit?

The only time I ever appreciated this was driving from AZ to Cali.  We gained an hour crossing the border.  Other than that this time change thing can take two to the chin.
  • Options
    Yeah, my pooch seems to be waking me up an hour earlier every morning too! Nowadays I have to take him out for walkies first thing to stop him barking. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Me too. But the time change doesn’t impact that, as we are on standard time now. So the time change gives us extra evening light in the summer but the winter is standard timer, it’s be dark at 4:30 with or without it.
    I think we should be on daylight savings all year, don’t know if that’s an option or not if they ever get rid of it.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Me too. But the time change doesn’t impact that, as we are on standard time now. So the time change gives us extra evening light in the summer but the winter is standard timer, it’s be dark at 4:30 with or without it.
    I think we should be on daylight savings all year, don’t know if that’s an option or not if they ever get rid of it.
    The time change does impact us here.  Instead of a 530 sunset it goes to 430.  So for us on the east coast it sucks.  every year I hate it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited November 2021
    Chris, you WANT daylight saving time.  We go thru this every year.  DST is what gives us the extra hour of daylight in the evening.  It runs from March to November.  Why we spend 4 months of the year on standard time when there is the least amount of sunlight to begin with is what we need to stop.  PERMANENT daylight saving time or bust!!!
  • Options
    Chris, you WANT daylight saving time.  We go thru this every year.  DST is what gives us the extra hour of daylight in the evening.  It runs from March to November.  Why we spend 4 months of the year on standard time when there is the least amount of sunlight to begin with is what we need to stop.  PERMANENT daylight saving time or bust!!!
    I know that.  It shouldn't be called anything but TIME and don't fucking change it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:
    The time change does impact us here.  Instead of a 530 sunset it goes to 430.  So for us on the east coast it sucks.  every year I hate it.
    What I meant was if there never was a time change ever, then we'd presumably be on Standard time all year, and it would have already been setting at 4:30. So the time change isnt why it sets so early, that's just the natural time. Does that make sense? In other words, the time change gives us an extra hour in the summer, but doesn't change anything in the winter, assuming we'd just be standard time all year. People blame the time change for the early sunset, when its the idiot who designed and set time to begin with. 

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    yay, more daylight this weekend :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    That's in the Fall, man.
    I always get those confused. I wish someone would have a saying that would help me remember better. But I knew you would remember this at least though. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    It’s spring forward, cal back. Set clocks forward an hour in the spring and it’s light an hour longer.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    mace1229 said:
     it’s light an hour longer.
    The amount of light does not change from moving clocks.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,504
    This is my favorite of the two time changes. My wife complains for at least two weeks about how she has to get up an hour before she normally is used to. Good times.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mace1229 said:
     it’s light an hour longer.
    The amount of light does not change from moving clocks.
    Correct, changing clocks doesn’t literally give more light. But it is typically considered having that affect since it is light an hour later in the evening when most people are home from work and not in the morning when we’re just getting out of bed, so it’s an hour more of usable light for most people to enjoy.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Right now, give or take 3 or 4 minutes, the sun is rising at 6 Am and setting at 6 pm where we are. My alarm goes off at 6:45 AM. For 45 minutes I try to sleep when the sun is up. Come Sunday it won’t rise until 7 and will set at 7. I’m not trying to sleep when it’s light and it’s light longer in the evening. Therefore it’s going to feel like it’s more light. Plus, it’s only 6:30 here and I can’t sleep because it’s so light. I’ll finally be able to sleep until my alarm goes off.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    I always get those confused. I wish someone would have a saying that would help me remember better. But I knew you would remember this at least though. 
    Spring backwards, Fall forward. Easy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    That is only when you are South of the Equator. 
  • Options
    This is my favorite time change. After a few days of getting used to the morning I love the days being lighter later. It lifts my mood. 
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    What?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    What?
    Since your directions were backwards.
  • Options
    That's in the Fall, man.
    What?
    Since your directions were backwards.
    No they weren't. What do you mean?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    It is Spring forward and Fall back. I thought you were joking when you said spring backwards and fall forward.