Options

**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    :lol: norm n speedy, you two crack me up....
    THIS should be an Oly sport:
    http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_ ... 2785030624
    Ice Cross Downhill.
    Seriously.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    :lol: norm n speedy, you two crack me up....
    THIS should be an Oly sport:
    http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_ ... 2785030624
    Ice Cross Downhill.
    Seriously.

That looks awesome :o :shock: 8-)

Defo should become an Olympic event :ugeek: :mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Neil Young to close the olympics??????

http://www.thestar.com/blogs/article/76 ... -blog?bn=1
    I like Neil and all, but nah, he's Canadian by birth only, he hasn't lived in this country for 40 years, this is suppose to be Olympics in Canada, so how about some Canadians who stayed here and made it here.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Neil Young to close the olympics??????

http://www.thestar.com/blogs/article/76 ... -blog?bn=1
    I like Neil and all, but nah, he's Canadian by birth only, he hasn't lived in this country for 40 years, this is suppose to be Olympics in Canada, so how about some Canadians who stayed here and made it here.
    Gordon Lightfoot could appear and show he's still alive! :P ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Ahhh--it's so hard to stay up and watch all the action (although somehow I managed to watch the timeless art of seduction Seinfeld episode so go figure).

I was moved when I saw the highlights of the Canadian skater after her terrific skate---yeah, I cried this morning when they showed her and Scott Hamilton all choked up. (If you managed to not hear, her mother died suddenly of a heart attack in Vancouver less than 3 days ago) :(

SUX big time for that Norwegian speed skater. BIG OOPS by his coach. Damn.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Lizard wrote:
    I was moved when I saw the highlights of the Canadian skater after her terrific skate---yeah, I cried this morning when they showed her and Scott Hamilton all choked up. (If you managed to not hear, her mother died suddenly of a heart attack in Vancouver less than 3 days ago) :(
    Her performance was very moving. Incredible that she was able to compose herself to perform and so well, although having that focus right now be good for her too. Sad to lose your biggest support at such a young age. :(
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Lizard wrote:
    Ahhh--it's so hard to stay up and watch all the action (although somehow I managed to watch the timeless art of seduction Seinfeld episode so go figure).

SUX big time for that Norwegian speed skater. BIG OOPS by his coach. Damn.
    I feel bad for the speed skater too, but man i could not imagine being his coach. That ruins his career that would be hard to live with. I think almost harder then not having the medal. The skater can at least blame the coach for his failure and it sucks but man the coach has to live with that.

Canadian skater who came in 3rd was a pretty amazing moment.

not a good day so far for USA alpine :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Way to go Canada in the women's 2-man bobsleigh - Gold and Silver!!!!
  • Options
    I love the catfight between Mancuso and Linds. They hate each other.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497

EEEEEEEEE! OWN that podium!!!! We must be third in the medal standings now!! Yay!!

Only one more week of patriotism and then I can stop crying ever five minutes and return to laughing at us once again.... ;)
    be philanthropic
  • Options

EEEEEEEEE! OWN that podium!!!! We must be third in the medal standings now!! Yay!!

Only one more week of patriotism and then I can stop crying ever five minutes and return to laughing at us once again.... ;)

For gold medals we are tied with the USA and Germany...of course women's hockey will be adding a gold to our count tomorrow :D:D

Great day at the Olympics for Canada.
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    Great day for the US yesterday outside of the curling meltdown

Shaun White is a bad ass.

Yahoo sports had a great line today:
    If Canada wants to “Own the Podium,” it might need to buy it from the United States

:lol::D

We own that shit this year :)

Canada has the most gold medals (albeit tied for the most, but we'll take it! :) ), so yeah, we're owning that podium. :)

Great day for Canada! The ladies were rockin' the podium!

It was really nice to see Clara Hughes get a medal in her final race.

And, of course, what a game against Russia. It was nice to see the offense really clicking, and I'm sure this game will boost the team's confidence heading into the semis.

GO CANADA!!
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

If Canada wants to “Own the Podium,” it might need to buy it from the United States

Canada has the most gold medals (albeit tied for the most, but we'll take it! :) ), so yeah, we're owning that podium. :)

And, of course, what a game against Russia. It was nice to see the offense really clicking, and I'm sure this game will boost the team's confidence heading into the semis.

GO CANADA!!

Absolutely awesome for Hughes - what an athlete :D:D

The National Post wrote:

An athletic lifetime later -- and with a diversion into cycling -- she has the two bronze cycling medals she won at the summer Games in Atlanta, the speed-skating bronze from Salt Lake City, and the gold and silver she seized in Turin, and this. Nobody else has ever won medals in both seasons.

And she has her final bow, here. She is not the force she was in Turin; the heart still pumps, but there are younger legs out there. This was Clara Hughes' Gaetan Boucher moment, the last laps on home soil. Like Boucher, she has competed for all of Canada. Hell of a thing.

"There's nothing like this. There is nothing like this," she said. "It is a really special thing to be an Olympic athlete ... and I've never lost sight of what this is. And when it's over, it's over. And now it's actually over."

It feels like we should ask her for five more laps, for three, for one. It feels like we should ask her not to go away. But look at the legacy, the scope, the depth of what she has accomplished. Look at all that Clara Hughes has done. How could we ask for anything more?
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I agree it is awesome.

I like Mancuso a bit better myself.

A little disapointed the US only has 28 to Canada's 15... I'd really like to double up their medal count

:lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    intodeep wrote:

GO CANADA!!
    We really do own the podiums. They are made in Canada. I think that's what they meant all along.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    intodeep wrote:
    I agree it is awesome.

I like Mancuso a bit better myself.

A little disapointed the US only has 28 to Canada's 15... I'd really like to double up their medal count

:lol:
    Ouch!
  • Options
    What a night in short track speed skating. Two golds and a bronze for Canada.
    Woo Hoo! :D:D:D

AA Ohno finishes the night with a bronze as well.

GO CANADA!!!! :P :P :P :P
  • Options
    Woo Hoo! We reached double digits for the the gold: 10 :o :shock: :D:D:D

Awesome job to all the athletes, whether they won a medal or not. :ugeek: :P
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm absolutely loving the winter olympics this year. I don't think we ever followed them this much. My fave is the bobsled- 4 man-love how all those big guys jump in that little car so fast- cool. It was exciting last eve when Russia tipped over went down the track upside down-they were all ok good thing but really pissed off.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    :mrgreen::clap: :thumbup:

Congratulations to all the athletes and to Canada for putting on a great Olympics!
  • Options
    I think I'm going to go through Olympic's withdrawl :(

Congrats to all the athletes!!!
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    are they over yet?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Neil Young performing at the closing ceremony.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Does that mean he's already preformed or that he's going to preform later?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Already played. We have reached the crappy part of the programming. Well no K-OS is usaully pretty good and I must apologize as a Canadian. We have MUCH more to offer than Nickelcrap and Avril :oops:
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Already played. We have reached the crappy part of the programming. Well no K-OS is usaully pretty good and I must apologize as a Canadian. We have MUCH more to offer than Nickelcrap and Avril :oops:

After an otherwise fun closing ceremony, what an unfortunate way to end the ceremony. It's too bad it didn't end with Buble and "Made in Canada". Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan, Hedley. Ugh. Perhaps, I'm just getting old and this really is what the kids are listening to, but Canada has so much more to offer musically. Luckily, the NBC broadcast had ended by this point, so I think it ended on a high note for Americans.
  • Options
    [quote="tvismyfriend

After an otherwise fun closing ceremony, what an unfortunate way to end the ceremony. It's too bad it didn't end with Buble and "Made in Canada". Nickelback, Avril Lavigne, Simple Plan, Hedley. Ugh. Perhaps, I'm just getting old and this really is what the kids are listening to, but Canada has so much more to offer musically. Luckily, the NBC broadcast had ended by this point, so I think it ended on a high note for Americans.[/quote]

That is what I was thinking. We have much better music than was represented. What about The Hip? They did the Hey Rosetta song "red heart" what about them? I am not all about Nelly Furtado but she would have been better than Avril. Anyway still proud to be Canadian :D
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265
    Sorry, but this closing ceremony is retarded (sorry for not being PC there...)

It's just really, really bad.
  • Options
    They were pretty sad, I'll admit that...

But Neil Young was there though, and Michael J. Fox looked pretty good...
  • Options
    thesewordselopethesewordselope Posts: 781
    edited March 2010
    They were pretty sad, I'll admit that...

But Neil Young was there, and Michael J. Fox looked pretty good...

Quoting myself apparently... :? :lol:
    Post edited by thesewordselope on