Options

**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    Is baseball out of summer olympics too (I thought so). I would think that Japan and some South American countries could field a pretty decent team.......
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    jimed14 wrote:

Not necessarily true ... prior to 2002, Salt Lake ... the best US perfomance in a Winter Olympics was 13 medals.

Certainly helps that they've added a ton of sports that the US is good at, like all the boarding/extreme skiing stuff.
    I assumed you guys were always the top dogs (well at least for a lot longer than 02).
    In most cases US atheletes are paid atheletes as well, correct?
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    norm wrote:
    china looks like the bad news bears on ice :lol:
    I didn't even know they had a team...
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    jimed14 wrote:
    Which is why I said it'll probably go the way of softball.

Still I think hockey has a much greater acceptance level in Europe ... you'd think teams like the Scandanavian block, Germany and Russia would be getting better.

i would assume that if access to rinks and programs is as bad as it is in Canada relatively speaking ... that could be a factor ... also, there just isn't the level of competition available for the girls over there ... they interviewed the captain of the swedish team and she basically said that their level of competition just isn't as fast and as strong ...
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    So AUstralia finally won a gold medal. Yeeeeha
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    norm wrote:
    women are kicking ass in hockey for the US.

By the way, FLASH MOB:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-410727?hpt=C2

Womens hockey is such a joke in the Olympics... They should have Canada and the US play like a best of 5 series and everyone else can stay home.

china looks like the bad news bears on ice :lol:
    China has a hockey team?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    That dude who dresses like a woman WEIR he deserved the bronze that was a total theif job they did on him ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    That dude who dresses like a woman WEIR he deserved the bronze that was a total theif job they did on him ...

Did he not remember his pink bows last night? :?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Hawkshore wrote:

I don't know but he got robbed ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Hawkshore wrote:

I don't know but he got robbed ...
    I really liked his skating but they were saying that his performance didn't have the degree of difficulty that the medal winners showed. I didn't think the guy who got bronze was all that great though.

Living in Texas and the All Star game being here last week, I really got a laugh when they showed Jerry Jones in the audience and Scott Hamilton said "He's probably trying to figure out a way to hold the Winter Olympics in Cowboys Stadium."
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    jimed14 wrote:
    Men - 0 - 4
    Women - 0 - 3

U.S. Curling .......... catch the fever!!!

Finally the men won.
    They really were very close to being 4-1.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i tried to watch a little during the commercails in the bulls game last night (i always watch two shows at a time to avoid commercials). so last night i said, ok, lets do some NBC.

if it wasn't a commercial or bob costas blabbing, or interviewing, it was chris collinsworth talking about ice dancing. poor guy. so in all my flipping, i saw a single downhill run, one ski jump and a 5 seconds of ice dancing. weeeeeeeee, love me some olympic coverage :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,672
    jimed14 wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    Woo hoo!! Gold for the Aussies in women's halfpipe! :clap:

... and she's quite the looker too ... :thumbup:

torah_bright_go_200x300.jpg

... too bad she's a Mormon ... I guess throwing a mctwist in her halfpipe before marriage is out of the question.

Al Michaels ( 6.gif ) just interviewed her.....did you know she can talk without moving her jaw. Weird. :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Wooo hooo 1st British gold for 30 years :clap:
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

what the hell was the event? drinking? ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    imalive wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

what the hell was the event? drinking? ;)
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    imalive wrote:
    what the hell was the event? drinking?

Hell, I really wish I had a smiley with a sticky out tongue on!!

The women's skeleton!! Although yes we would have drunk everyone else under the table in said event :D
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    what the hell was the event? drinking?

Hell, I really wish I had a smiley with a sticky out tongue on!!

The women's skeleton!! Although yes we would have drunk everyone else under the table in said event :D

I'm sure the British Isles would own the podium! ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Loving that team USA is kicking ass at the games. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    dude Apolo Ohno is about to race and he's yawning :wtf:

edit: they just said he does it to relax? yeah when you yawn that means you're tired and you should sleep...not speed skate! :crazy:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

edit: they just said he does it to relax? yeah when you yawn that means you're tired and you should sleep...not speed skate! :crazy:

IMO the Canada skaters race dirty.

I hope Apolo wins the gold.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    norm wrote:

It's short track speed skating, not figure skating, you have to be aggressive.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    0219_scotty_lago_splash.jpg

Lago back home with bronze in hand, joke to tell
    By EDDIE PELLS
    The Associated Press
    Saturday, February 20, 2010; 10:51 PM

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Gone from the Olympics after risque photos of him appeared on the Internet, bronze-medal snowboarder Scotty Lago joked with his Twitter followers Saturday that he's home, and keeping the medal in a safe spot, for now.

"Got home this morning to all my homies," he said on his Twitter site. "Such a good Olympic experience. Keeping my medal in a safe spot for now haha."

Lago was at a party Thursday night, wearing a Team USA T-shirt, when someone snapped a photo of a woman kneeling below his waist to kiss the medal. He made the decision to go home shortly after the picture turned up on the TMZ Web site Friday.

U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun and chairman Larry Probst said Lago's decision to go home came before the federation had a chance to react to the situation.

"He put the code of conduct on himself, decided the correct thing was to go home," Blackmun said.

Added Probst: "He made that call, and it was the right decision."

In the wake of incidents of bad behavior at the Turin Games, including the ouster of freestyle skier Jeret Peterson after he got into a small fight with a friend, the USOC redoubled its efforts to make sure athletes are on their best behavior while at the Olympics.

The federation began its "Ambassador Program," which teaches athletes about the customs of the country they're visiting and some of the common pitfalls they can run into both with media and when they're out enjoying the city.

Web sites such as TMZ have added to the laundry list of things that can go wrong - as Lago discovered after receiving his medal in downtown Vancouver on Thursday night.

Lago won one of 16 medals that have been captured by athletes under the umbrella of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, which is enjoying a remarkably successful games.

"Scotty Lago is a great athlete, but with that comes a responsibility of proper conduct, and his involvement in this situation is not acceptable," USSA President and CEO Bill Marolt said in an e-mail sent late Friday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04174.html
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

It's short track speed skating, not figure skating

No kidding really? ;)

So glad Apolo knocked the Canada brothers out of getting any medals in that race. :D
  • Options
    i watched the mens' figure skating with my dad and was glad to see us whoop russia's ass. woooooo USA USA USA!

SUCK IT PLUSHENKO.
  • Options
    i watched the mens' figure skating with my dad and was glad to see us whoop russia's ass. woooooo USA USA USA!

SUCK IT PLUSHENKO.

:lol::lol::lol:

damn commies!! :P :twisted:
  • Options
    norm wrote:

SUCK IT PLUSHENKO.

:lol::lol::lol:

damn commies!! :P :twisted:
    damn straight! my dad who survived communism in spain and cuba...well, the beauty of it wasn't lost on him. even though russia ain't communist anymore, was worth getting riled up anyhows haha
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    norm wrote:

After sitting through umpteen stress mgmt seminars when I worked in mental health, I promise you, yawning is a recommended relaxation technique.
    Kind of like stretching or walking around when you're tense.
    Next time somebody tells you you're rude for yawning, tell them you're just chilling! ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195

SUCK IT PLUSHENKO.
    Hehe. It was funny listening to men who wear leotards talk about who the bigger man was.

Seriously though, landing a quad should be mandatory for a gold medal routine for the men. It's about taking risks and pushing the envelope, not just reciting what's been done in the past. The Russian showed more skill and he deserved to win that event.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:

SUCK IT PLUSHENKO.
    Hehe. It was funny listening to men who wear leotards talk about who the bigger man was.

:lol: very true!
    Seriously though, landing a quad should be mandatory for a gold medal routine for the men. It's about taking risks and pushing the envelope, not just reciting what's been done in the past. The Russian showed more skill and he deserved to win that event.
    yeah thing is though, it's not just a jumping competition. there has to be some artistry and good footwork too, which lysacek delivered on as well as nailing the jumps. plushenko did have a wobble here and there on landings, and his footwork and dance was clunky. it's not enough to be able to do a quad, you have to bring the rest of it to the table.

and beyond the ice, no bearing on the scores but just to be bitchy lol plushenko was punking other dude out, saying lysacek wasn't a man because he wouldn't do the quad (while slathered in sequins i'm sure lol). lysacek had a foot injury which basically precluded him from doing it....so it just made him look like an ass. and to be such a sore loser afterwards, bah.....f him!