Options

**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I could just about watch any sport, but this is damn too much work to get into proper...
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    I love me some curling. The womens british team has this hot 19 year old.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Great day for the US yesterday outside of the curling meltdown

Shaun White is a bad ass.

Yahoo sports had a great line today:
    If Canada wants to “Own the Podium,” it might need to buy it from the United States

:lol::D

We own that shit this year :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    white is the balls
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Shaun White deserves hi's own thread that was unfucking real how much better he is than hi's competition ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Shaun White deserves hi's own thread that was unfucking real how much better he is than hi's competition ..
    he is awesome!

...but it also helps that you have your own personal half pipe in the side of a mountain...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    fucking ctv... lets have 4 streams for ladies curling but the snowboard one doesn't work.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    i
    need
    sleep.

must
    not
    watch
    olympics
    tonight.

:mrgreen:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Men - 0 - 4
    Women - 0 - 3

U.S. Curling .......... catch the fever!!!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    :lol:
    ;)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Woo hoo!! Gold for the Aussies in women's halfpipe! :clap:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:

... and she's quite the looker too ... :thumbup:

torah_bright_go_200x300.jpg

... too bad she's a Mormon ... I guess throwing a mctwist in her halfpipe before marriage is out of the question.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

... and she's quite the looker too ... :thumbup:

torah_bright_go_200x300.jpg

... too bad she's a Mormon ... I guess throwing a mctwist in her halfpipe before marriage is out of the question.

LOL :lol:
  • Options
    GREAT article about how bad NBC's coverage is...

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-bl ... ics-2010-2
    Questions For NBC, The Network That Prevents You From Watching The Olympics
    Henry Blodget | Feb. 16, 2010, 9:32 AM

Ah, the dawn of a fresh new day, with lots of exciting Olympics events that we and other Americans won't be able to watch LIVE because NBC controls the rights and NBC is the network that prevents us from watching the Olympics.

Instead of ranting again about this, however, we'll just direct some questions to NBC.

As a preface, we should make clear that these are real questions. We don't know the answers. We can't understand why NBC would damage its brand and infuriate sports fans from coast to coast by doing this, so we're really curious about the logic here. We would also be happy to publish the responses.

1. Why do you delay events that are much more exciting to watch live? Presumably the answer here is "money," but please explain that answer in detail. Please don't say, "to appeal to a wider audience," because no one is arguing that you should be prohibited from putting on your big general interest highlight-reel evening shows. We just want to watch the events live, too.

2. Is the evening audience much bigger than it would be if you showed the events live during the day? How much bigger? Wouldn't you be able to make up the difference by showing the event live on one of your other networks during the day and then showing highlights on NBC at night? Wouldn't you be able to show more targeted advertising (and charge higher CPMs) to audiences for specific events?

3. How much money would you lose (or do you think you would lose) if you showed the events live on a subsidiary network and then showed highlights again in your prime time broadcast? To us, this seems like the best solution. If you did this, sports fans could get their fix, and the "general audience" you're obviously trying to appeal to in prime time with segments on polar bears can watch the "Olympics Show" you put on every night without wanting to throw their remote controls through the TV.

4. Do you expect people to avoid the news all day until you show the events in primetime, or do you not care that everyone knows who won? Is it really realistic/fair to think that, in the era of Twitter, omnimedia, and email alerts that people will be able to go into media blackouts for 8 hours?

5. Is the decision to show events on tape-delay a relic of the days when the Big Three networks ruled the world? Is there some acknowledgment internally that the world has changed a bit since 1976? Does Dick Ebersol watch the Olympics on 8-hour tape-delayed highlight reels?

6. Do you care that sports fans from coast to coast are furious at you? How do you factor this into your long-term brand-value calculations? We, personally, hate you for this. It's possible that we're alone, but based on the feedback we've received, we doubt it. That can't be good for the value of the company, can it? Especially when you make no effort to explain to people like us why you're doing this.

As an additional question, we doubt that there's unanimity within NBC on this decision. We imagine, in fact, that there are hundreds of employees who are appalled by NBC's decision to wreck the Olympics for millions of sports fans, along with its refusal to directly explain to Americans why they may be the only country on earth forced to watch the Olympics on tape delay. If so, we would love to hear from some of the dissenters, as well as from those who can explain the real logic here (because whatever NBC says publicly almost certainly won't). Thanks in advance. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:hblodget@businessinsider.com">hblodget@businessinsider.com</a><!-- e -->.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Really enjoying watching! Canada is doing a great job at the border too. Five minute wait which is less than usual. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    Man i can't believe it is almost halfway over. I love the olympics.

I guess the australian girl who won the halfpipe last night had a nice surprise when her parents were in the audience. Eveidently the girl thought they would not have enough cash or something for two trips to NA and she wanted them to be at her wedding coming up, but the parents flew in any way and did not tell her they would be there. They revealed themselves after her second run.

That is a pretty sweet story.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    intodeep wrote:

If Canada wants to “Own the Podium,” it might need to buy it from the United States

i predicted the US would have a good olympics ... they are essentially on home soil without the pressure ...

it's pretty clear now that a lot of canadians are buckling under the pressure put forth by our overzealous bureaucrats ... and to see them backtrack now is laughable ...
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

i predicted the US would have a good olympics ... they are essentially on home soil without the pressure ...

it's pretty clear now that a lot of canadians are buckling under the pressure put forth by our overzealous bureaucrats ... and to see them backtrack now is laughable ...
    The US always has a good olympics....
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:

it's all relative to expectations ... all their favourites have come through for the most part with a lot of fringe athletes having personal bests ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

it's all relative to expectations ... all their favourites have come through for the most part with a lot of fringe athletes having personal bests ...
    True, although I expected the US to do as well as they always do.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Saw some of the womens skeleton last night - hell that is one terrifying sport!
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    Saw some of the womens skeleton last night - hell that is one terrifying sport!
    I could not stay up that late to see it. I hope to catch highlights today!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,535
    women are kicking ass in hockey for the US.

By the way, FLASH MOB:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-410727?hpt=C2
  • Options

By the way, FLASH MOB:

Womens hockey is such a joke in the Olympics... They should have Canada and the US play like a best of 5 series and everyone else can stay home.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

By the way, FLASH MOB:

Womens hockey is such a joke in the Olympics... They should have Canada and the US play like a best of 5 series and everyone else can stay home.
    Lol
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

Not necessarily true ... prior to 2002, Salt Lake ... the best US perfomance in a Winter Olympics was 13 medals.

Certainly helps that they've added a ton of sports that the US is good at, like all the boarding/extreme skiing stuff.

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146

By the way, FLASH MOB:

china looks like the bad news bears on ice :lol:
  • Options

By the way, FLASH MOB:

The idea is for other countries to gain exposure, thus, they'll get better.

Remember when the US basketball team would roll over everyone to the gold year after year (outside the controversial Russia game in 72) ... well, obviously, many of those countries got better.

Unfortunately, women's hockey may go to go the route of softball, where they gave it 4 olympics to build a world wide acceptance, but because the talent level was still so wide between the US and the rest of the world they've taken it out of the next Olympics (although, Japan did win the Gold in 2008)

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:

Remember when the US basketball team would roll over everyone to the gold year after year (outside the controversial Russia game in 72) ... well, obviously, many of those countries got better.

Unfortunately, women's hockey may go to go the route of softball, where they gave it 4 olympics to build a world wide acceptance, but because the talent level was still so wide between the US and the rest of the world they've taken it out of the next Olympics (although, Japan did win the Gold in 2008)

i tend to agree but canada beating sweden 13-1 is not going to help ... there just isn't the competition to be quite honest ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

i tend to agree but canada beating sweden 13-1 is not going to help ... there just isn't the competition to be quite honest ...

Which is why I said it'll probably go the way of softball.

Still I think hockey has a much greater acceptance level in Europe ... you'd think teams like the Scandanavian block, Germany and Russia would be getting better.