THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Just saw this.

Nnamdi Asomugha-DB-Raiders Jan. 11 - 6:02 pm et

According to CSN Philly's Reuben Frank, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha is "at the top of the Eagles' offseason priority list."
    Frank is a very reliable beat writer, but he appears to be deducing here rather than reporting. Asomugha is adamant about playing for a contender, and the Eagles have a major need opposite Asante Samuel as well as money to spend on a top tier recruit. As far as fits go, Asomugha would be an instant secondary fix for a team that is expected to contend for the Super Bowl next year.
    Source: CSN Philly

pretty sure he'd make our rezone d look just a lil better next year....will certainly help sean mcdermott's career as well. ;)

i am all for this...whenever the hell it happens (f*cking cba).

yeah he'd be just a little upgrade over Peterson. And after we trade Kolb and Jackson to Ari for there 1st and Fitz we'll be set. :D
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    And just in general they need to get bigger on D. Much bigger.

THIS. however it goes against about 90% of the moves we've made over the last decade.

offensive line needs to get more physical in general too. and offensive strategy needs to change. we're way too reliant on the big play. have been for years.
    www.myspace.com
    i swear to god i didn't write this ;) . this is pretty much spot on. i hope andy and howie read this :mrgreen:

http://www.csnphilly.com/01/11/11/Ten-o ... feedID=692
    r frank's top 10 off season birds moves:

1) They signed Jon Runyan in 2000, Jevon Kearse and Terrell Owens in 2004, Samuel in 2008. The Eagles have never been shy about going after the top available veterans on the market, and this year will be no different. Asomugha would team up with Samuel to form the sort of cornerback tandem the Eagles had with Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor and then with Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. One quality corner isn’t enough.

An Asomugha and Samuel pairing would be huge and would make the entire defense better. Do it, Howie!

2) Franchise Michael Vick. Keep Kevin Kolb unless you can get a first-round pick for him. Defer a decision on the QB of the future for another year. The Eagles can’t rush into a long-term deal for Vick until they’re absolutely sure he can win consistently playing the sort of reckless football he plays, with total disregard for his body. It’s not worth the risk of leaving yourself without a quarterback if you can only get a second-round pick for Kolb.

A month ago, a long-term deal for Vick seemed like a no-brainer. After the last couple games, there are legitimate questions whether he really is the guy. Whether he can be the guy.

3) The right side of the offensive line. Get a new one. Now, please.

After the Dallas playoff loss last year, we thought we had seen the last of Nick Cole in a crucial game. But there he was, back at right guard against the Packers. Max Jean-Gilles, who was hurt, is marginally better than Cole, but the bottom line is it’s time to find a real right guard. It’s time to drastically upgrade the O-line. Enough with Max and Nick. Guard Logan Mankins would be almost as big an addition as Asomugha, and the Eagles have a history of paying a lot of money to offensive linemen. It’s not that far-fetched.

Over at right tackle, Winston Justice’s play certainly leveled off this year, so the Eagles really do need two new linemen. If Jamaal Jackson can return healthy, Mike McGlynn can move to right guard. And King Dunlap – who instantly stabilized things when he replaced Justice Sunday – could be an option at right tackle. We’d rather see the Eagles go O-line high in the draft and try to find themselves a stud rather than patching things up with guys who are already here.

4) How long has outside linebacker been a problem for this team? James Darling, Barry Gardner, Mike Caldwell, Carlos Emmons, Shawn Barber, Ike Reese, Mark Simoneau, Nate Wayne, Keith Adams, Dhani Jones, Matt McCoy, Omar Gaither, Takeo Spikes, Chris Gocong, Akeem Jordan, Will Witherspoon, Moise Fokou and Ernie Sims.

Those are the 18 outside linebackers who have started for the Eagles since their last Pro Bowl OLB, William Thomas, was here. (Sorry Ike, you went to the Pro Bowl as a special teamer, not a linebacker!) Fokou had a decent first full season at strong side, and Jamar Chaney was very good in the middle late in the season. Stewart Bradley is available to return to his strong-side spot next year, if the Eagles want to move Fokou to weak-side. A Chaney-Fokou-Bradley alignment would be an improvement. But the need remains for a playmaker on the outside. Which we’ve now been saying for a decade.

One intriguing name is Chad Greenway, the free agent from the Vikings. Would be nice if Andy Reid could gain a measure of revenge on former assistant Leslie Frazier by stealing away one of the Vikings’ best defensive players.

5) The lack of pass pressure the second half of the season was startling. Trent Cole managed just three sacks in his last eight games, and Juqua Parker had just two sacks after the third week of the season. We haven’t given up on Brandon Graham yet – defensive ends are notorious for taking a year or two to find their way in the NFL, and three sacks as a rookie is hardly a disaster. But the Eagles have squeezed about as much as they can out of Parker, who shouldn’t be a starter. The Eagles got so desperate late this year looking for pressure they even brought in Derrick Burgess and Bobby McCray, who were out of football all year.

Whether it’s a premium draft pick or a free agent like Cullen Jenkins, This team must find a defensive end who can get to the quarterback and do it just as effectively and consistently in Week 16 as Week 1. This has been a tough position for the Eagles over the years, with premium draft picks going to Jerome McDougle and Victor Abiamiri. They can’t afford to mess up again.

6) He’s been an amazing kicker for more than a decade and David Akers had another very good regular season, but if your kicker costs you a playoff game, you’ve got to consider finding another kicker.

You have to be able to rely on your kicker making field goals from 34 and 41 yards out in the biggest game of the year, wind or no wind. If Akers had made either kick Sunday, the Eagles would have only needed another field goal at the end to win the game. Sad to say it. Sad to think it. Akers is a class act on and off the field and has been a terrific Eagle. But it’s probably time for the Eagles to move on.

7) Other than Michael Vick, there isn’t much of note that sticks out on the Eagles’ free agent list. But Jerome Harrison is definitely worth bringing back, assuming he can’t find a job as a starter. Harrison should have played more after coming here from Cleveland. He didn’t get a lot of opportunities, but he moved the chains every time he played. Impressive runner. Like to see him work in on kickoff returns, too. LeSean McCoy was very quiet the last three games. Mixing Harrison in would keep defenses off-balance and make McCoy more dangerous.

8) Asomugha. Again ... it’s pronounced Nahm-Dee Ah-So-MOO-Wah. He would be such an important addition he’s worth listing twice.

9) We’ve heard enough grumbling from players about defensive line coach Rory Segrest – and witnessed a consistent lack of improvement from any of the linemen lately – to be convinced it’s time for Reid to find a new defensive line coach. The linemen believed deeply in the outstanding Tommy Brasher, who retired after the 2005 season. It’s time to find another position coach the linemen can believe deeply in. There’s talent here. They need a big-time coach.

10) Conventional wisdom says the Eagles will part ways with Quintin Mikell, the only defensive player left from the Super Bowl team. Mikell turns 31 right after opening day next year and is a free agent. But Q actually played well this year – better than most fans give him credit for. He’s a locker room leader, durable – he’s missed four games because of injury in eight NFL seasons – and a terrific influence on young D-backs like Kurt Coleman, Nate Allen and Colt Anderson. While we’re on the topic of safeties, one last move the Eagles should make: Retain Jamar Adams. Who? Adams started at free safety in the second Dallas game and stood out among the other unknown players. Just a hunch. This guy is going to be a player.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    football season is over. wake me up in april for the draft if there is one. I'm sick of hearing about the CBA already. goodell is gonna fuck that up royally, just like he's fucked up everything else he's touched since taking over.

time to focus on the flyers and phils...you know, the winners in town
    The Fixer wrote:
    football season is over. wake me up in april for the draft if there is one. I'm sick of hearing about the CBA already. goodell is gonna fuck that up royally, just like he's fucked up everything else he's touched since taking over.

:lol:

birds are a year round affair in these parts dude. you know that!
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    The Fixer wrote:

Not with me, man. I'll keep an ear to moves in the offseason, but that's about it. I can't get up for these guys year round like I used to. Too use to the same ol' same ol'.
    The Fixer wrote:

Not with me, man. I'll keep an ear to moves in the offseason, but that's about it. I can't get up for these guys year round like I used to. Too use to the same ol' same ol'.

yeah, the NFL offseason is pretty lame. eagles signing sinorice moss isn't something I'm getting excited about. sorry. I'm with JP
    The Fixer wrote:

i think there is definitely an andy reid fatigue that has settled in. i don't sense the same kind of anger people used to feel when a season ends like this one did. people are kind of numb to it. oh well.

i'm all in, all year long though. so i'll keep you posted. :thumbup:

in the meantime, go nova! big game tonight at the ol' wfc :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

i think there is definitely an andy reid fatigue that has settled in. i don't sense the same kind of anger people used to feel when a season ends like this one did. people are kind of numb to it. oh well.

Just so you know, 'Nova Nation' is as gay as 'Red Sawk Nation'. :thumbup:

same goes for every "nation" i suppose. my high school uses that garbage too :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    edited January 2011

that's because 99% of eagles fans are idiots. the team was expected to win 8 games and they won 10. for some reason people are disappointed. I don't get it, the team wasn't that good to begin with.

They have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. They are in great shape going forward
    Post edited by The Fixer on

same goes for every "nation" i suppose. my high school uses that garbage too :lol:

I wish we could get rid of all of this stuff

1 - such and such nation
    2 - manny being manny (this is used with everyone now)
    3 - nicknames with the first inital and first few letters of the last name (j-roll, a-rod, etc).

enough already. I blame espn
    The Fixer wrote:

that's because 99% of eagles fans are idiots. the team was expected to win 8 games and they won 10. for some reason people are disappointed. I don't get it, the team wasn't that good to begin with

thought you were done football? :lol:

you're reasoning is flawed. vick changed all expectations. everyone knows that. i'm more pissed at the vikings game. they had the 2 seed on silver platter (and would be preparing for the seahawks right now) and pissed it away for the 2nd straight year. hence, disapointment. yet again.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430

lots of things at nova are gay. ghost of on-campus arena named after gay molesting murderer :D (see sarcasm jaegs, i'm learning)
    pjhawks wrote:

lots of things at nova are gay. ghost of on-campus arena named after gay molesting murderer :D (see sarcasm jaegs, i'm learning)

it'll always be the dupont to me :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

that's because 99% of eagles fans are idiots. the team was expected to win 8 games and they won 10. for some reason people are disappointed. I don't get it, the team wasn't that good to begin with

you're reasoning is flawed. vick changed all expectations. everyone knows that. i'm more pissed at the vikings game. they had the 2 seed on silver platter (and would be preparing for the seahawks right now) and pissed it away for the 2nd straight year. hence, disapointment. yet again.

well, I for one said that vick hadn't been as good as everyone thought he was. They don't make playoffs without him, but I sure as fuck didn't expect a super bowl this year...even after that d-bag took over at qb (and especially after the NYG and Minn games where he SUCKED)
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

well, I for one said that vick hadn't been as good as everyone thought he was. They don't make playoffs without him, but I sure as fuck didn't expect a super bowl this year...even after that d-bag took over at qb (and especially after the NYG and Minn games where he SUCKED)

he's a top 10 qb dude. there's no debating that.

but, i guess you have reid's new excuse lined up for as long as he's here...despite reid hand picking him :lol:
    www.myspace.com

but, i guess you have reid's new excuse lined up for as long as he's here...despite reid hand picking him :lol:

hmm...is he a top 10 qb?

(no specific order...off top of my head)

brady
    manning
    rivers
    rodgers
    ryan
    roethlisberger
    brees

cutler, eli, schaub, vick I guess would fall into the next tier. I'd take vick over all of those guys, so you're right...he's top 10. man, there are a lot of shitty qbs in the NFL. No wonder why the league blows.

my point is that eagles fans are all pissed off that the eagles lost to a better team last week. what did they expect? the team has no defense, a horrible offensive line, and a qb that can't read a defense. that doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.
    People are pissed because no one likes making the playoffs and exiting in the first round. Outside of that, this season exceeded my expectations.
    People are pissed because no one likes making the playoffs and exiting in the first round. Outside of that, this season exceeded my expectations.

of course not. I was disappointed that they lost last week too, even though I predicted that the packers were gonna win.

no need to spew all types of venom though...like you said, it was a better season than I expected with or without vick.
    The Fixer wrote:

hmm...is he a top 10 qb?

brady
    manning
    rivers
    rodgers
    ryan
    roethlisberger
    brees

cutler, eli, schaub, vick I guess would fall into the next tier. I'd take vick over all of those guys, so you're right...he's top 10. man, there are a lot of shitty qbs in the NFL. No wonder why the league blows.

my point is that eagles fans are all pissed off that the eagles lost to a better team last week. what did they expect? the team has no defense, a horrible offensive line, and a qb that can't read a defense. that doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.

agree. he's right behind the tier you mentioned. i think next year he'll level off somewhere in between the first 6 games and the last 6 of this season. i will gladly take that.

like i said, i'm more pissed at the vikings game than the packers game. i think most reasonable people feel that way. you could just tell there wasn't even much hype leading up to sunday's game. the balloon deflated at about 11:30 that dreadful tuesday night. no excuses on that one. and again, that's 2nd year in a row we let it slip away.

they're so close though. that's why this offseason is so intriguing...once we know when/if it's ever gonna happen :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

of course not. I was disappointed that they lost last week too, even though I predicted that the packers were gonna win..

yet you're money was on the birds :? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

hmm...is he a top 10 qb?

brady
    manning
    rivers
    rodgers
    ryan
    roethlisberger
    brees

agree. he's right behind the tier you mentioned. i think next year he'll level off somewhere in between the first 6 games and the last 6 of this season. i will gladly take that.

like i said, i'm more pissed at the vikings game than the packers game. i think most reasonable people feel that way. you could just tell there wasn't even much hype leading up to sunday's game. the balloon deflated at about 11:30 that dreadful tuesday night. no excuses on that one. and again, that's 2nd year in a row we let it slip away.

they're so close though. that's why this offseason is so intriguing...once we know when/if it's ever gonna happen :mrgreen:

I agree with all of that. Two years in a row their season went down in flames in the last 3 weeks of the season (including first round playoff exits).

Still a young team. Once the labor nonsense settles itself the birds should be in great shape to return to SB contention. Just need to improve in the obvious areas.

Obviously I'm biased, but I let Reid have his shot with the core that he has built. I kind of think of 2010 as the first year of his second tenure with the eagles (the post-mcnabb era). I'd like to see if he can win with this group. If they haven't won or gotten close in 3 years...then it may be time to re-evaluate.

Bodog has odds up for where ashmangha (no clue how to spell that) is going. birds are in top 5 at 10-1
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree with all of that. Two years in a row their season went down in flames in the last 3 weeks of the season (including first round playoff exits).

Still a young team. Once the labor nonsense settles itself the birds should be in great shape to return to SB contention. Just need to improve in the obvious areas.

Obviously I'm biased, but I let Reid have his shot with the core that he has built. I kind of think of 2010 as the first year of his second tenure with the eagles (the post-mcnabb era). I'd like to see if he can win with this group. If they haven't won or gotten close in 3 years...then it may be time to re-evaluate.

Bodog has odds up for where ashmangha (no clue how to spell that) is going. birds are in top 5 at 10-1

god help us if we go another 3 years without a title. with the right moves, we should be favorites to get to the super bowl next year.

by the way--have you seen the cheesy pj commercial for live on 10 legs? the voice over is done by mr. vedder. the way he says "the fixer" is aboslutely hillarious.
    www.myspace.com

god help us if we go another 3 years without a title. with the right moves, we should be favorites to get to the super bowl next year.

by the way--have you seen the cheesy pj commercial for live on 10 legs? the voice over is done by mr. vedder. the way he says "the fixer" is aboslutely hillarious.

favorites? you think? GB isn't going away. neither is atlanta. contenders yes...not sure about favorites.

haven't seen the commerical. I'm a serial channel flipper, so I rarely watch commercials.

also, for the record my user name here got deleted when they went to the new site format. I chose the fixer when the new album song names came out (before I heard the song). I know my hook is lame. I don't think I can change it though.

I did via the interwebs. Pretty funny.

Wanna hear something pathetic? I STILL don't have the Spectrum bootlegs.
    The Fixer wrote:

of course not. I was disappointed that they lost last week too, even though I predicted that the packers were gonna win..

yep. I always bet on them when I attend games in person. and I never bet against them under any circumstances.

pretty fucking dumb, but that's me. I'm the same guy that bet against the team he took in week 14 of my survivor pool. won the bet, but lost out on a few g's in my survivor pool (which ended the week after I lost)

wow. worth every penny. you can borrow mine if you want
    The Fixer wrote:

wow. worth every penny. you can borrow mine if you want

Thanks. I don't know why I haven't. And I want the whole shiny box deal and everything. What is wrong with me??!?!
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yep. I always bet on them when I attend games in person. and I never bet against them under any circumstances.

pretty fucking dumb, but that's me. I'm the same guy that bet against the team he took in week 14 of my survivor pool. won the bet, but lost out on a few g's in my survivor pool (which ended the week after I lost)

the survivor thing is different.

i'd have lost a ton of money on the birds if i went by that philosophy though.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.