THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

shefter is reporting jim mora is going to be considered.... :?

oh god. that dude is an enormous tool.

vick would probably like that hire.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:

shefter is reporting jim mora is going to be considered.... :?

oh god. that dude is an enormous tool.

vick would probably like that hire.

i would not like that either.

the thing that scares me about making a move now is if the lockout lasts long a new dc will not have much time at all to install his system...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

They were close to winning it this year?? We must be talking about different teams.

I expected them to lose in round 1. They just weren't that good of a team.

Not winning it all..but how many times have they been favored at home and lost ?

How many more years do we wait ?

You must have the patience of a saint

people are upset that they lost in the playoffs to a better team (did you see GB last night??)...I like to focus on the bigger picture. They had a good year relative to realistic expectations. Reid has this team poised for a return to prominence. I'm happy with where they are and the direction with which they're headed.

The last two years the team just hasn't been that good. They've gotten to the playoffs because of andy reid.

you're the biggest reid guy i know :lol:

at this point i just don't see how you cannot even admit there's a legitimate argument opposing yours though. there clearly is.

regarding the expectation thing, most people admit that changed the moment they saw how good vick was playing. no excuse for not having that team ready to play the vikings. we'd be the one's smashing seattle right now if we did. it's not like the bears are much better than the eagles and they're about to host the championship game. :roll: we've been through all this a million times though....
    www.myspace.com
    I think reid is the most underappreciated figure in philly sports history.

Their defense sucked to historic levels and they still won 10 games this year.

My opinion is that eagles fans have unreal expectations. When that happens you set yourself up for frustration.

Also, vick did play well this year. But who was the best team he beat? the giants?
    The Fixer wrote:

My opinion is that eagles fans have unreal expectations. When that happens you set yourself up for frustration.

Also, vick did play well this year. But who was the best team he beat? the giants?

just don't get how you cannot even see the other side of the argument after 12 years.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

just don't get how you cannot even see the other side of the argument after 12 years.

been saying forever that mcnabb was the main reason that this team never won the SB.

this was year 1 of reid's 2nd tenure with the birds...post mcchoke
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

been saying forever that mcnabb was the main reason that this team never won the SB.

this was year 1 of reid's 2nd tenure with the birds...post mcchoke

part of debating is recognizing the point and acknowledging the argument of the person you're debating against. you can't seem to do that.

here's to hoping he can get some more ray rhodes defensive players for the "2nd tenure". they certainly worked out well for the 1st one :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

Falcons,Colts were good teams weren't they?
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

Falcons,Colts were good teams weren't they?

kolb beat the falcons dude. and no, the colts weren't good this year. even dallas beat them
    rory segrest....fired.

i really hope they realize they need better players though. the line especially. too small there. these guys wear down every season.....
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    apparantly some of the players sold McDermott out in exit interviews with Reid according to the Inquirer this morning. Trent Cole was upset with the zone blitz schemes where he had to fall back into coverage. Maybe that's why Trent didn't make a play all year.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

What I expect is a Championship at some point

I don't think I'm being unrealistic

My appreciation has turned to frustration...I'm sure like most Eagles fans
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

has a team ever fired a coach and won a championship in less than 3 years with a new coach though? (cowboys with switzer don't really count because they were already champs before he took over). I think your argument against Reid would have more weight if the team wasn't still knocking at the door. As long as the franchise is stable and still being competitive i don't think you change. If the franchise starts to take a step back then you look at a change. right now a change would be a step back and not a step forward. until a change would be a step forward there is no reason to go backwards. Are you willing to take a step back with the hope that in 3 or 4 years you will win a championship? I'll take Reid and give him 3 or 4 more years with these young star players before i start over which will allow me 3 or 4 more chances to win a title that you will not have under a new coach.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

has a team ever fired a coach and won a championship in less than 3 years with a new coach though? (cowboys with switzer don't really count because they were already champs before he took over). I think your argument against Reid would have more weight if the team wasn't still knocking at the door. As long as the franchise is stable and still being competitive i don't think you change. If the franchise starts to take a step back then you look at a change. right now a change would be a step back and not a step forward. until a change would be a step forward there is no reason to go backwards. Are you willing to take a step back with the hope that in 3 or 4 years you will win a championship? I'll take Reid and give him 3 or 4 more years with these young star players before i start over which will allow me 3 or 4 more chances to win a title that you will not have under a new coach.
    Mike Tomlin taking over for Bill Cowher.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

and jon gruden for tony dungy a few years before that....shanahan for wade phillips back in the 90's.

i don't think reid should go at this point. but it's been 12 years. he still makes the same mistakes he made in 1999. there's an over a decade record of getting out coached in the biggest of games. he's lost his last 3 playoff games. in all 3 his offense came out flat. we've lost two huge december games two years in a row, each costing us a first round bye. his big play/quick strike offensive philosophy has eroded down the stretch (and has hurt the defense by not being able to sustain drives) each of the last few years. his philosophy on defense of going after small, quicker, finesse type players doesn't seem to be working out the way he would have hoped.

like i said, i don't think he should go at this point. i love how he puts a consistent 10 win team out there. but if we're having this same conversation at this point next year, after two years of getting rid of that year's scape goat, i don't see how it's not an appropriate discussion.
    www.myspace.com
    Horos wrote:

Cowher wasn't fired he quit/retired. not the same situation.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

How much longer do you give a guy ? 15 years ? 20 years ?

I don't think Vick is the long term answer

Honestly I don't see Reid getting over the hump with the offense he runs and not being willing to change it

I think Tomlin...Gruden..can't remember exactly

Jaegs - you are right on Gruden. didn't realize that was his 1st year in Tampa (although he was in oakland for the prior few years). Shanahan was in year 3 in Denver when he won it.

Phantom Pain - not sure you read my full text above. I said as long as the franchise is going forward and still competing I don't think you change. They won a division title this year. If they fall back to like 7-9 or something and you don't see a hope than i think you make a change. right now with the young talent on the team making a change would be a step back.
    edited January 2011

and jon gruden for tony dungy a few years before that....shanahan for wade phillips back in the 90's.

i don't think reid should go at this point. but it's been 12 years. he still makes the same mistakes he made in 1999. there's an over a decade record of getting out coached in the biggest of games. he's lost his last 3 playoff games. in all 3 his offense came out flat. we've lost two huge december games two years in a row, each costing us a first round bye. his big play/quick strike offensive philosophy has eroded down the stretch (and has hurt the defense by not being able to sustain drives) each of the last few years. his philosophy on defense of going after small, quicker, finesse type players doesn't seem to be working out the way he would have hoped.

like i said, i don't think he should go at this point. i love how he puts a consistent 10 win team out there. but if we're having this same conversation at this point next year, after two years of getting rid of that year's scape goat, i don't see how it's not an appropriate discussion.

I totally agree

His record now in the playoffs is .500 I believe which tells me teams have figured him out when it counts

Less Big Plays and this offense struggles...no running game...this team struggles in the RED ZONE

Not to mention how many home playoff games we have been favored in and lost
    Post edited by Phantom Pain on

pjhawks wrote:
    Jaegs - you are right on Gruden. didn't realize that was his 1st year in Tampa (although he was in oakland for the prior few years). Shanahan was in year 3 in Denver when he won it.

Phantom Pain - not sure you read my full text above. I said as long as the franchise is going forward and still competing I don't think you change. They won a division title this year. If they fall back to like 7-9 or something and you don't see a hope than i think you make a change. right now with the young talent on the team making a change would be a step back.

Ok..but again how many more 10 win or 11 win seasons that don't end up winning anything do you stick with him ?

I'm beyond the point of just making the playoffs

I totally agree

His record now in the playoffs is .500 I believe which tells me teams have figured him out when it counts

Less Big Plays and this offense struggles...no running game...the this team struggles in the RED ZONE

fire belicheck and trade brady. they have lost 3 straight playoff games, 2 at home and they haven't won a super bowl since they were caught and convicted of cheating.
    pjhawks wrote:

Ok..but again how many more 10 win or 11 win seasons that don't end up winning anything do you stick with him ?

we had this same discussion last year and again you didn't read or understand my post. you shouldn't and can't put a specific number on it. i think you have to judge it year to year on how you think the franchise is doing. right now this is stil a damn good franchise and team. yes it sucks balls we haven't won a title, but are you prepared to take a step back by changing coaches today? do you believe a whole new coaching staff in one year is going to help this team? we are better off next year with Reid as coach. hard to dispute that i think.
    pjhawks wrote:

I totally agree

Less Big Plays and this offense struggles...no running game...the this team struggles in the RED ZONE

fire belicheck and trade brady. they have lost 3 straight playoff games, 2 at home and they haven't won a super bowl since they were caught and convicted of cheating.

Now lets not get crazy... :roll:

You can't argue the fact the offense is predictable and the running game has always been a problem

pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

we had this same discussion last year and again you didn't read or understand my post. you shouldn't and can't put a specific number on it. i think you have to judge it year to year on how you think the franchise is doing. right now this is stil a damn good franchise and team. yes it sucks balls we haven't won a title, but are you prepared to take a step back by changing coaches today? do you believe a whole new coaching staff in one year is going to help this team? we are better off next year with Reid as coach. hard to dispute that i think.

I do undesrtand...you're happy with a team making the playoffs.

I would take the risk of changing it up..there is no guarantee it will work but I am pretty confident whats in place now is NOT working

Again .500 in the playoffs with No Rings doesn't cut it for me

You can't argue the fact the offense is predictable and the running game has always been a problem

Bellichek and Brady been 7 years since a title (and they won those 3 as convicted cheaters) , how long do you give them before a change is made? and no i don't believe they are due for a change but just pointing out how hard it is to win a title if they greatest qb and supposed (i don't believe so) coach can't win one in 7 years.

as for the 'problems' with the running game i for one believe that is totally overrated. it's a passing league.
    Comparing Reid to Belichick and the Eagles organization to the Pats is ridiculous.

I can see how so many people are feeling numb to this team. We have this discussion every year.

Looks like Singletary is getting hired to coach linebackers in Minny, JP--scratch that name off the list.
    www.myspace.com
    Comparing Reid to Belichick and the Eagles organization to the Pats is ridiculous.

I can see how so many people are feeling numb to this team. We have this discussion every year.

Looks like Singletary is getting hired to coach linebackers in Minny, JP--scratch that name off the list.

I know....there is no comparison to Reid maybe only Cowher

Take it for what its worth I watched Sports Final last night they said Reid is on vacation so no new coordinator to be announced at least until the end of the week....Jauron is the "front-runner"

pjhawks wrote:

Bellichek and Brady been 7 years since a title (and they won those 3 as convicted cheaters) , how long do you give them before a change is made? and no i don't believe they are due for a change but just pointing out how hard it is to win a title if they greatest qb and supposed (i don't believe so) coach can't win one in 7 years.

as for the 'problems' with the running game i for one believe that is totally overrated. it's a passing league.

Come on man, you're really not hanging your hat on that are you ?

I think when you have 3 SB's you have a longer leash :lol:

What wins Championships ?...going by the team that has the most Championships (Steelers) they are pretty consistent with their game plan...running the ball and a physical defense

pjhawks wrote:

What wins Championships ?...going by the team that has the most Championships (Steelers) they are pretty consistent with their game plan...running the ball and a physical defense

re: Pats: please read people but i will say the same thing again. all i was doing there was pointing out the absurdity to me in saying you haven't won a Super Bowl in X amount of years you should be fired. when arguably the greatest coach and greatest QB off all time can go 6 years without a title i am just pointing out how hard it is to actually win one. you have to take it year to year and right now this franchise is still better off with Reid than anyone you would replace him with.

Saints, Colts and Pats all pass 1st teams that won Super Bowls in the past 10 years. to me physical/good-to-great defense is way more important than running the ball. saying a team has to run the ball is cliche-ish and tv-speak. i think it's bullshit. you do not have to have a great running game to win anymore, but you damn well better have a damn good passing game. big plays are made in the passing game.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

re: Pats: please read people but i will say the same thing again. all i was doing there was pointing out the absurdity to me in saying you haven't won a Super Bowl in X amount of years you should be fired. when arguably the greatest coach and greatest QB off all time can go 6 years without a title i am just pointing out how hard it is to actually win one. you have to take it year to year and right now this franchise is still better off with Reid than anyone you would replace him with.

Saints, Colts and Pats all pass 1st teams that won Super Bowls in the past 10 years. to me physical/good-to-great defense is way more important than running the ball. saying a team has to run the ball is cliche-ish and tv-speak. i think it's bullshit. you do not have to have a great running game to win anymore, but you damn well better have a damn good passing game. big plays are made in the passing game.

re: Pats: they also went undefeated and lost in the super bowl just 3 years ago. and they have a 14-5 playoff record with their coach being a 1st ballot hall of famer.that builds you more time. it's a bad comparison. also, there is only one example in 80 some years of professional football of a coach hanging around over a decade without winning a title who eventually went on to win one (cowher). nobody other than jeff fischer, who isn't winning one anytime soon, has had as many chances as reid without winning one. so the odds are not in his favor.....that said, you're probably right that they're better off with reid than someone else at this point. however, who is to say that if they went a different direction they wouldn't win one sooner? there really is no way of knowing either way.

re: running the ball....every team is a passing team. but that doesn't mean you lay it all on the shoulders of your quarterback though....especially when everyone agrees he wasn't playing his best down the stretch. you have a rb averaging 5 yards a carry and you only give him 12 carries against a team playing 2 deep? we were playing 2 deep against them and they ran it 23 times. we give up on the run if our back doesnt break a 20 yarder after his first 5 carries. you have to take what the defense is giving you and we didn't in the 2 games that matters most. outcoached in the 2 biggest games of the year. nothing new here.

again--i'm not saying reid should go at this point. but you can't deny there's an argument there.

edit--depending on who the new d coordinator is, don't be surprised if he's the one who eventually takes over for reid if that time ever comes. just a hunch...
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.