THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    they better be careful with an extension.

In his final seven starts of the season (counting Sunday), Vick threw seven interceptions, fumbled nine times and took 22 sacks.

i know you don't like the guy but to be fair he also threw 11 touchdowns and ran for 6 more. so that is 17 total tds, 7 picks, 1,960 passing yards, 61.5 completion percentage, 368 rushing yards and a qb rating of 90%.......all with a shaky offensive line and a coach adverse to running the football consistently. i really think andy asked him to do waay too much pretty much every game down the stretch.

but i think andy will do the right thing here. franchise him (if there is a franchise tag). see how next year plays out and go from there. dude was real good and real fun to watch this year. we would have struggled to get to 8 wins without him.

incidentally, i know you brought up the steve young comparison yesterday. if you look at vicks full year stats to steve young's first full year with the niners (in '91 he played in 11 games) they are still probably more similar than most people think. and don't think for a second that reid doesn't think he can complete this mike vick transformation over the next few years. cuz i'm pretty sure he does.

vick isn't going anywhere. I just don't like the guy. Eagles don't make the playoffs without him this year though.

vick couldn't hold steve young's jock strap. their numbers might be similar but vick isn't half the player that young was

most people simply remember the 2nd half of young's career. i guess you are one of them. the numbers are worth checking out though. i'm pretty sure andy reid has looked at them. ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

vick couldn't hold steve young's jock strap. their numbers might be similar but vick isn't half the player that young was

most people simply remember the 2nd half of young's career. i guess you are one of them. the numbers are worth checking out though. i'm pretty sure andy reid has looked at them. ;)

come on man...you're comparing vick to steve young. seriously

you should be comparing vick to randall...that makes a lot more sense
    The Fixer wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

they certainly had their deficiencies in the red zone and gave up way too many points. but despite all the injuries and personnel changes they finished 12th in overall total defense and 3rd in takeaways.

But weren't they last in red zone defense or close to it? I think that is what killed them. I don't put too much stock in stats though. Look at what happened in Seattle to the #4 defense on Saturday.

Exactly. Jeags loves these yardage rankings, even though they are pointless. SD was first in defense and 2nd in offense. how'd that work for them?

so much changes week to week in the NFL. The yardage rankings are a terrible barometer for...well, for anything

umm, there's a reason why 7 of the top 10 teams in yards per game defense are also in the top 10 in points allowed per game dude. not sure how you don't see a correlation there :?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

come on man...you're comparing vick to steve young. seriously

you should be comparing vick to randall...that makes a lot more sense

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dnea ... Young.html
    Vick Reminds Marty of Steve Young
    Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg noted that the Giants' defense is No. 1 in the league and No. 1 on third down.

"Very physical, very fast, very quick defense," Mornhinweg said. "Excellent personnel, excellent schemes."

"This group, as you know, can rush the passer," he said. "They do a heckuva job getting to that quarterback ... Maybe the very best defensive line that I've seen, up to date."

Mornhinweg said Michael Vick and Steve Young, whom Mornhinweg worked with in San Francisco, are similar in makeup and ability.

"An awful lot of hard work by him," Mornhinweg said when asked about Vick's ascent. "He's got great gut instincts as well."
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    there's assholes everywhere dude. you're taking one isolated incident to prove your point. regarding my car at the pearl jam show a couple years ago, i'm not gonna make generalizations about all pj fans based on the jerkoffs who did that....

you sound like skip bayless right now :lol:

not at all jaegs. the word i used is how i describe most fans who go to eagles games. this type of behavior supports that but in no way am i using this story as the full basis of my belief. a lot more goes into that belief than one incident. my bad for bringing it up, i guess i should left it alone and kept my opinion to myself a few weeks ago. it's all good though, just trying to make some conversation.

congratulations. you've correctly pointed out that there are assholes who attend eagles games.

you've just blown our minds.
    www.myspace.com

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg noted that the Giants' defense is No. 1 in the league and No. 1 on third down.

"Very physical, very fast, very quick defense," Mornhinweg said. "Excellent personnel, excellent schemes."

"This group, as you know, can rush the passer," he said. "They do a heckuva job getting to that quarterback ... Maybe the very best defensive line that I've seen, up to date."

Mornhinweg said Michael Vick and Steve Young, whom Mornhinweg worked with in San Francisco, are similar in makeup and ability.

"An awful lot of hard work by him," Mornhinweg said when asked about Vick's ascent. "He's got great gut instincts as well."

great. that's coming from the guy who once chose to kickoff after he won the coin toss in OT.

young is one of the 10-15 best QBs ever. vick is maybe one of the top 10 qbs in the NFL right now. see the difference??
    The Fixer wrote:

great. that's coming from the guy who once chose to kickoff after he won the coin toss in OT.

young is one of the 10-15 best QBs ever. vick is maybe one of the top 10 qbs in the NFL right now. see the difference??

you sound like someone unfamiliar with steve young pre 1991.

to help you out, you recently posted a few articles praising andy reid by ruben frank. here's one
    by frank talking about the eagles offense and comparing the similarities between vick and young's careers to this point:
    http://www.csnphilly.com/12/24/10/Mornh ... feedID=704

Just like the Niners

They both featured a veteran left-handed quarterback who was equally dangerous throwing or running. Both were led by an electrifying big-play wide receiver supplemented by a very good No. 2 wide out. Both had a tailback who could make big plays on the ground or through the air, and both had a tight end who was capable of making big plays down the field.

With two games left in this remarkable 2010 season, the Eagles are on pace to finish the regular season with 4,331 passing yards and 2,395 rushing yards.

Only one team in NFL history has had that many passing and rushing yards in the same season.

That was the 1998 San Francisco 49ers.

Their offensive coordinator? Marty Mornhinweg.

It’s impossible not to compare the Eagles with Mornhinweg’s 49ers. They’re mirror images of each other.

“I don’t really get into comparisons very much because that group did it for a long time, and this group is so young and just getting started,” Mornhinweg said. “But there’s no question we can do a lot of the same things that group did.”

Michael Vick is Steve Young. DeSean is Jerry. Maclin is T.O. Shady McCoy is Garrison Hearst, Brent Celek is Brent Jones and Jason Avant is J.J. Stokes.

Heck, while we’re at it, Kevin Kolb is Ty Detmer.

It all lines up.

“Very similar,” Mornhinweg said. “I’ve been fortunate to be with a few teams now that have had great talent, great players. And I think there’s a chance that when all is said and done, this group’s even better than that one. But that’s a long way off. Let’s see how far this offense goes and then we can take a little bit of time and step back and analyze it.”

There are certainly many parallels between Vick and Young. Both blossomed a decade into their careers – for very different reasons.

“Steve did it over a long period of time and got a Super Bowl win, so that’s Mike’s challenge now,” Mornhinweg said. “Mike’s playing as good as any quarterback has played but for a small stretch. His challenge now is to do it year after year. That’s the next step for him.”
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    congratulations. you've correctly pointed out that there are assholes who attend eagles games.

never said they were assholes, i called them neanderthals, but i guess neanderthal's do sometimes have a hard time with reading comprehension. oh well i'm sure you looked great in your jersey yesterday. hope it wasn't too hard of a choice. anyway's i'll go search and read all your posts that determine people's fandom since apparantly you feel you are the only one allowed to express views and opinions on here.
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, I'm aware that he played in tampa on some of the worst teams in NFL history.

are you denying that young is a top 15 all time QB? just remember that is what you're comparing vick to.

I know that the comparison has been made before, but it is a lazy one. yeah, they're both LH and have scrambling ability. They're still QBs though and one is capable of reading a defense and making accurate throws...the other is not.

You're a smart guy...I know you can figure out which one is which
    pjhawks wrote:

never said they were assholes, i called them neanderthals, but i guess neanderthal's do sometimes have a hard time with reading comprehension. oh well i'm sure you looked great in your jersey yesterday. hope it wasn't too hard of a choice. anyway's i'll go search and read all your posts that determine people's fandom since apparantly you feel you are the only one allowed to express views and opinions on here.

oh, you're calling me a neanderthal in an indirect way now? :lol:

don't take things so personal man. is it that time of the month for you or something?

lighten up. jeez...
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, I'm aware that he played in tampa on some of the worst teams in NFL history.

are you denying that young is a top 15 all time QB? just remember that is what you're comparing vick to.

I know that the comparison has been made before, but it is a lazy one. yeah, they're both LH and have scrambling ability. They're still QBs though and one is capable of reading a defense and making accurate throws...the other is not.

"up to this point."

i think andy reid and marty morningwheg are smart guys too. i guess you don't.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

"up to this point."

smart people can make lazy comparisons

vick isn't in young's class
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

"up to this point."

smart people can make lazy comparisons

vick isn't in young's class

you've missed the point.
    just like you missed the correlation with yards allowed and points allowed per game. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

don't take things so personal man. is it that time of the month for you or something?

lighten up. jeez...

haha well you do attend eagles games and most are so to quote to 'if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck by gholly it must be a duck' - i'm not taking anything personally at all, just re-upping the comments we had a few weeks back when i called eagles fans that and you so vigorously defended them. i will be done with this topic now and move on to the next topic.

and hate to agree with the Fixer but comparing Vick and Steve Young is ridiculous. Vick had a great season and has had a pretty good career but numbers aside Steve Young was much better than Vick has ever been. that's not a diss on Vick but more of a belief in how good Steve Young was.

you've missed the point.
    just like you missed the correlation with yards allowed and points allowed per game. :lol:

I obviously have missed the point. what is it? I think comparing vick to young is ridiculous

If you want to use points allowed, that's fine. yards allowed (which you always seem to bring up) is dumb.

kinda funny how ornery we all are today (even more than usual). I know I for one am tired and just generally in a pissy mood after that game last night.
    The Fixer wrote:

you've missed the point.

I obviously have missed the point. what is it? I think comparing vick to young is ridiculous

If you want to use points allowed, that's fine. yards allowed (which you always seem to bring up) is dumb.

kinda funny how ornery we all are today (even more than usual). I know I for one am tired and just generally in a pissy mood after that game last night.

i think you are right, i was yelling at people on the road this morning, not really busy at work so bored which annoys me, tired and annoyed from yesterday so ornery and in a pissy mood is pretty spot on. jaegs we can probably agree with fixer on this one that this is contributing to this thread today - so don't take anything i say personally as i usually enjoy our sports talk here and other threads.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

lighten up. jeez...

haha well you do attend eagles games and most are so to quote to 'if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck by gholly it must be a duck' - i'm not taking anything personally at all, just re-upping the comments we had a few weeks back when i called eagles fans that and you so vigorously defended them. i will be done with this topic now and move on to the next topic.

and hate to agree with the Fixer but comparing Vick and Steve Young is ridiculous. Vick had a great season and has had a pretty good career but numbers aside Steve Young was much better than Vick has ever been. that's not a diss on Vick but more of a belief in how good Steve Young was.

all i said was there are idiots like that everywhere man. you pointing out something like that today makes you seem like one of those pompous national guys. i guess that's kind of expected of you in here though. also last week you found out that i sell about half of my season tickets because i love watching games at home. you proceeded to call me a fraud. for the record, cuz you don't seem to get it, my fraud thread and all that stuff is tongue in cheek dude. my best friend is a university of miami football fann soley because he thought they were cool back in the 80's. i give him shit all the time. it's all for charity. all about the kids at the end of the day.

the point about vick appears to be lost on you too though. there are similarities between vick and young's first few seasons in the league and in vick's first season starting with the eagles and young's first season starting with the niners. but the bigger point is the eagles coaching staff recognize the similarities as well...that's all i'm saying.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

you've missed the point.

ha...sorry to appear ornery. i think i'm actually in a good mood today but you guys keep arguing with every point i'm making :mrgreen:

but for the record, yards allowed isn't dumb. there's a direct correlation to that and points allowed. there is every single year! look it up. maybe i appear ornery because i can't believe i have to argue this point :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    all i said was there are idiots like that everywhere man. you pointing out something like that today makes you seem like one of those pompous national guys. i guess that's kind of expected of you in here though. also last week you found out that i sell about half of my season tickets because i love watching games at home. you proceeded to call me a fraud. for the record, cuz you don't seem to get it, my fraud thread and all that stuff is tongue in cheek dude. my best friend is a university of miami football fann soley because he thought they were cool back in the 80's. i give him shit all the time. it's all for charity. all about the kids at the end of the day.

the point about vick appears to be lost on you too though. there are similarities between vick and young's first few seasons in the league and in vick's first season starting with the eagles and young's first season starting with the niners. but the bigger point is the eagles coaching staff recognize the similarities as well...that's all i'm saying.

jaegs i think we need a sarcasm button or icon here. i only call you a fraud fan in mocking tones as well just because i know you like to bait a few of the guys in here with that. i know you are not a fraud eagles fan, anyone who can argue with the passion and regularity you do clearly is not a fraud fan. i am a pretty sarcastic person in life and i think lots of times it doesn't come across in here like i want it to. oh well what you gonna do.
    pjhawks wrote:

jaegs i think we need a sarcasm button or icon here. i only call you a fraud fan in mocking tones as well just because i know you like to bait a few of the guys in here with that. i know you are not a fraud eagles fan, anyone who can argue with the passion and regularity you do clearly is not a fraud fan. i am a pretty sarcastic person in life and i think lots of times it doesn't come across in here like i want it to. oh well what you gonna do.

use the emoticons. they may be gay but they help with what you're describing.

you should really consider it because you know i'm not the only one who has called you pompous or condescending etc etc etc....

it's all good though. go st joes! :lol: ----see! see what i did there!
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

and hate to agree with the Fixer

you don't like being right?? :D
    pjhawks wrote:

you should really consider it because you know i'm not the only one who has called you pompous or condescending etc etc etc....

haha ok. i don't think im pompous or condescending but i am very opinionated and stubborn which i think gets me in trouble. :mrgreen:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    This sucks

I'm getting to the point where i'm numb to these disappointing finishes every year

How many games have the Iggles been a home favorite in the Playoffs and lost ?

When will we get over the hump ?

Before I'm in a diaper and in a nursing home I hope
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i just did some quick math

the correlation between yards and points is 0.49

a perfect correlation is 1.

:mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I agree most Eagles fans I run into at games and at bars when i'm out are White Trash

I would never take my wife or daughter to an Eagles Game

Majority of these people would rather buy their season tickets instead of a good dental plan
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    81 wrote:
    i just did some quick math

the correlation between yards and points is 0.49

a perfect correlation is 1.

:mrgreen:

you know what i mean. typically the top 10 defenses are also the defenses holding their opponets to 20 or less points. every. single. season.

there's always a few exceptions of course. but i was under the impression this was common knowledge to most people :o
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    pjhawks wrote:

Guilty. As. Charged. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:;) .....This makes everything better right????
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Just saw this.

Nnamdi Asomugha-DB-Raiders Jan. 11 - 6:02 pm et

According to CSN Philly's Reuben Frank, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha is "at the top of the Eagles' offseason priority list."
    Frank is a very reliable beat writer, but he appears to be deducing here rather than reporting. Asomugha is adamant about playing for a contender, and the Eagles have a major need opposite Asante Samuel as well as money to spend on a top tier recruit. As far as fits go, Asomugha would be an instant secondary fix for a team that is expected to contend for the Super Bowl next year.
    Source: CSN Philly
    Go Birds!!!!
    Just saw this.

Nnamdi Asomugha-DB-Raiders Jan. 11 - 6:02 pm et

According to CSN Philly's Reuben Frank, free agent Nnamdi Asomugha is "at the top of the Eagles' offseason priority list."
    Frank is a very reliable beat writer, but he appears to be deducing here rather than reporting. Asomugha is adamant about playing for a contender, and the Eagles have a major need opposite Asante Samuel as well as money to spend on a top tier recruit. As far as fits go, Asomugha would be an instant secondary fix for a team that is expected to contend for the Super Bowl next year.
    Source: CSN Philly

pretty sure he'd make our rezone d look just a lil better next year....will certainly help sean mcdermott's career as well. ;)

i am all for this...whenever the hell it happens (f*cking cba).
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    And just in general they need to get bigger on D. Much bigger.
This discussion has been closed.