THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Garcia"s a fool if he think's hes an nfl full time starter. After we cut him last year he didn't even get picked back up i believe. I heard the same thing about Vick and if we let him walk. Problem is hes gonna be a distraction if kolb struggles. Thats why i might take less to get rid of him.

you're a fool
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Garcia"s a fool if he think's hes an nfl full time starter. After we cut him last year he didn't even get picked back up i believe. I heard the same thing about Vick and if we let him walk. Problem is hes gonna be a distraction if kolb struggles. Thats why i might take less to get rid of him.

you're a fool
    Why?? Cause i pretty much agree with u. Do u see why i try and steer away from agreeing with u? U then relieve i'm a fool. :shock: :o;)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

even worse, he got cut by oakland before the season started. he knows he can't start...the dude is 40 years old. he'll be brought in as a mentor to kolb. best part is that his wife will be back in town...hey now
    I have read some stuff where people thing earl thomas is the best prospect in the draft. and there was a good article about berry in SI this week.

EAGLES WANT TO TRADE UP FOR A SAFETY
    With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I have read some stuff where people thing earl thomas is the best prospect in the draft. and there was a good article about berry in SI this week.

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.

yea i mean to post this earlier. berry or thomas will be spectacular
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

just load up on defense. I know berry is a beast, but it's such a deep draft I kinda hope they don't give up multiple picks to try to get that high.

Read that the eagles have stayed pat (not moved up or down) in round 1 only 2 times in 11 Reid drafts.

Reid doesn't get enough credit...best thing that ever happened to the eagles. love him
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

just load up on defense. I know berry is a beast, but it's such a deep draft I kinda hope they don't give up multiple picks to try to get that high.

Read that the eagles have stayed pat (not moved up or down) in round 1 only 2 times in 11 Reid drafts.

Reid doesn't get enough credit...best thing that ever happened to the eagles. love him

you should marry andy reid.
    www.myspace.com
    doubt this will happen in round 1, but it will be nice to see them place a priority on lb for once. we clearly need help here (listening to roseman trying to sell us foku the other day almost made me puke--though not in the vicinity of small children):

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... acker.html
    Eagles could go after a linebacker

By Jonathan Tamari

Inquirer Staff Writer
    The last time the Eagles took a linebacker in the first round of the NFL draft, Jack Lambert was in the middle of his career, Lawrence Taylor was still in college, and Ray Lewis was 3 years old.

That was 1979, when the Eagles took Jerry Robinson of UCLA 21st overall. Barack Obama was preparing for his freshman year of college, and the sack was not even an official NFL stat yet.

With Stewart Bradley out for the entire 2009 season, Andy Reid traded for Will Witherspoon and brought back Jeremiah Trotter. Neither will return.

Last year's linebacking woes might give the Eagles motivation to break that streak, or at least pick up some new blood in an early round. The linebacking unit was plagued by injuries in 2009, and in the off-season, the team jettisoned three players who had seen considerable playing time as part of that group.

As they search for reinforcements, the Eagles could have quality choices available when they pick at the end of the first round or early in the second round.

"Outside linebacker, if they find the right player, they could certainly go there," ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said in a conference call with reporters.

He said Missouri's Sean Weatherspoon, a highly regarded outside linebacker, could be a good fit.

The linebacking unit suffered a rash of injuries last year, starting with the loss of middle linebacker Stewart Bradley (knee) before the season.

In his absence, Andy Reid was forced to try six starters to replace Bradley. The Eagles hope his return will shore up the center of the defense, but he is coming back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, and the roster has no other major playmakers at linebacker.

In a clear sign of dissatisfaction with last year's lineup, the Eagles parted ways with Will Witherspoon, who started at weakside linebacker for the second half of the season, and traded away Chris Gocong, who manned the strong side for much of the year, starting 11 games. Middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter is also gone from a defense that slipped to 19th in the league in points allowed, from fourth in 2008.

The changes leave the apparent 2010 starting lineup as Bradley; Akeem Jordan, a former undrafted free agent who started 10 games last year; and Moise Fokou, a seventh-round pick in 2009 who took over for Gocong.

Gocong was a third-round selection in 2006 but never had a major impact, much like other linebackers the Eagles have drafted in recent years, except for Bradley.

Asked if the team might look to shore up the position, general manager Howie Roseman said the return to health of Bradley, Jordan, and Omar Gaither leaves the Eagles feeling stronger at linebacker. Pressed on past draft misses there, he said the team needs players who can play in space and stay on the field against the pass or the run.

Weatherspoon, at 6-foot-1 and 239 pounds with 4.62 speed in the 40, has the combination of size, speed and coverage skills that might fit well with the Eagles, McShay said. He is projected as a weakside linebacker.

Weatherspoon and Texas' Sergio Kindle (6-3, 250), a defensive end-linebacker hybrid, are two of the top-rated edge players in the draft. Both could be available when the Eagles pick at No. 24 in the first round, though their stocks are rising in many analysts' evaluations.

Michigan's Brandon Graham (6-2, 268), another defensive end-linebacker mix, is also seen as one of the most disruptive forces at his position, though he, like Kindle, could be gone by the time the Eagles' first pick rolls around.

In the Eagles' 4-3 scheme, a quality strong-side linebacker could help cover tight ends and take on blockers, holding the perimeter on the defense's outer edge. The ideal fit needs the strength to then disengage his block and make a stop, said Marcellus Wiley, a former Pro Bowl defensive end who is now an NFL analyst for ESPN.

"You need a stud over there," he said.

Meanwhile the often-unblocked weakside linebacker, lining up on the side of the offense that doesn't have a tight end, should be a seek-and-destroy tackler who can roam the playing field.

"He's going to have to put on his track spikes and just go sideline-to-sideline," Wiley said. "One guy gets to run into the party after the door is open, and one guy actually gets to open the door."

They also need to be agile enough to fall into pass coverage, he said.

In the second round, where the Eagles have the 37th and 55th selections overall, they might be able to nab Texas Christian's Daryl Washington, who could also play the weak side and contribute on special teams, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said in another conference call.

Another highly regarded end who may move to linebacker in the pros is Jerry Hughes, a two-time all-American from Texas Christian. He may also be available in the second round, though some projections say he will fit better in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

After the first round, Penn State's Navorro Bowman is another highly touted outside linebacker who could be available.

Ricky Sapp from Clemson and Koa Misi of Utah are two more college ends who could become impact linebackers in the NFL. Rennie Curran of Georgia and Eric Norwood from South Carolina are other top linebackers who could go in the second round or later.

At inside linebacker, Alabama's Rolando McClain is widely expected to go in the first round, perhaps to the Giants. Florida's Brandon Spikes and Penn State's Sean Lee are two other top inside linebacker prospects.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Anyone heading down to the Draft party Thursday Night ????

I'll be there
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    In a 3 team trade we got got lb ernie sims from detroit. we gave up a 5th rd pick to denver who sent te tony schefler to det.Great trade imo sims was the 9th pick overall a couple years ago. If he works out this could be a steal,if it dosent oh well its a 5th rd pick.
    Go Birds!!!!
    In a 3 team trade we got got lb ernie sims from detroit. we gave up a 5th rd pick to denver who sent te tony schefler to det.Great trade imo sims was the 9th pick overall a couple years ago. If he works out this could be a steal,if it dosent oh well its a 5th rd pick.

for a 5th rounder, this is a pretty good deal.

but for a top 10 pick a few years ago he has not lived up to his potential at all in detroit--though that, hopefully, could be due to detroit being...detroit. maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. plus he's still only 26. i remember wanting the birds to take him back in '06....
    www.myspace.com

I'll be there

heading to my buddy's place. he has a sweet man cave with 11 TVs (6 have direct TV). I live there during football season. We'll have draft, phillies, and flyers all on. Can't wait for thursday

but for a top 10 pick a few years ago he has not lived up to his potential at all in detroit--though that, hopefully, could be due to detroit being...detroit. maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. plus he's still only 26. i remember wanting the birds to take him back in '06....

doesn't he have concussion issues?

here's how I look at this trade...eagles move brown/gocong for a 3 and 5. so they really got a 3 for brown and a 5 for gocong. then they turn that 5 into sims. so in essence reid traded gocong for sims.

reid = beast
    The Fixer wrote:

doesn't he have concussion issues?

here's how I look at this trade...eagles move brown/gocong for a 3 and 5. so they really got a 3 for brown and a 5 for gocong. then they turn that 5 into sims. so in essence reid traded gocong for sims.

reid = beast

except when it comes to game day adjustments ;)

yeah i think it's migrane issues he has had. solid move by the birds.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

I'll be there

heading to my buddy's place. he has a sweet man cave with 11 TVs (6 have direct TV). I live there during football season. We'll have draft, phillies, and flyers all on. Can't wait for thursday

That's not a man cave that's SPORTSCENTER!! ;)

This dude must be single ?

I'm bad enough with one TV for sports the wife complains

The Fixer wrote:

I'll be there

That's not a man cave that's SPORTSCENTER!! ;)

This dude must be single ?

I'm bad enough with one TV for sports the wife complains

yeah, he's single. best part about it is that my wife hates it there. she refuses to go. only half his basement is finished so there is a beer pong table over on the unfinished side. and he has a hot tub out back.

it's paradise. my sanctuary. during football season we all kick him some money to help pay for the TV costs (direct TV boxes, college/NFL packages, electric, etc)
    i will be at my buddy's annual draft party. we are doing it on friday because of work and stuff.

good sal pal article:

Eagles look to complete overhaul in draft
    April, 19, 2010 Apr 191:45PM ETEmail Print Share By Sal PaolantonioPHILADELPHIA -- For the Philadelphia Eagles, this will forever be known as the Donovan Draft.

The decision to trade franchise quarterback Donovan McNabb to the division rival Washington Redskins on Easter Sunday has given the Eagles 10 draft picks -- seven in the first four rounds, most in the league.

It will be up to head coach Andy Reid and his first-year, 34-year-old general manager Howie Roseman to take those picks and put an exclamation point on an offseason makeover that has seen 12 players from the 2009 roster leave town -- more than any other NFL team.

No matter what the Eagles accomplish in the 75th anniversary NFL draft beginning Thursday night, the prime-time audience will be focused on one storyline: What did Philly get for getting rid of No. 5?

In the actual deal with the Redskins in exchange for McNabb, the Eagles will receive a second-round pick (37th overall) in this draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year.

"This is a lot of pressure to put on a 34-year-old general manager who has never pulled the trigger in an NFL draft before," said Rob Ellis, who hosts a popular football call-in show on WIP sports talk radio in Philadelphia. "You’re going to need a lot of rookies from this draft to fill a lot of holes on this team, especially on defense."

Roseman is not rattled, but he knows what is at stake. "With [10] picks," said Roseman, "we want to get more than just a starter or two out of this draft. We’re going to look at taking the best players."

As you can tell, Roseman -- who piloted the McNabb trade from the beginning even when Reid resisted -- does not sound like a man who was feeling the pressure to justify perhaps the gutsiest offseason move of any team in the league. But the boldness of what Roseman did cannot be overstated.

Kevin Kolb takes over at quarterback as the Eagles continue to remake the roster.He traded an 11-year veteran quarterback coming off a Pro Bowl season and replaced him with Kevin Kolb, who has only two NFL starts, fewest of any prospective starting quarterback in the league. That’s something his predecessor, Tom Heckert, who was allowed to leave for the Cleveland Browns without any compensation in return, could have not have pulled off.

On Monday, the Eagles also landed former Lions linebacker Ernie Sims in a three-way trade with Detroit and Denver. Philadelphia traded a fifth-round pick (No. 137) in this week's draft to the Broncos, according to the club. The Broncos traded tight end Tony Scheffler and a seventh-round pick to the Detroit Lions. With Monday's three-way deal, the Eagles have now made five trades this off-season -- more than any other team.

"I think I’m a little more aggressive than Tom, just in terms of style," Roseman said, referring to his overall approach. "Tom is a very calm, very composed guy. And I want to do something now. That’s my personality."

Roseman learned that aggressiveness from his mentor, Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who shocked last year’s NFL draft by trading up in the first round to select USC quarterback Mark Sanchez. Since Tannenbaum became general manager in 2006, the Jets have acquired eight different players who have represented the team in the Pro Bowl -- more than any other team in the league, according to Elias Sports Bureau. And last year, the Jets earned a trip to the AFC Championship game.

Roseman is trying to duplicate Tannenbaum’s career path. Both went to law school. Both mastered the arcane NFL salary cap. Both learned to scout players from two of the best -- Tannenbaum from Bill Parcells, Roseman from Reid.

Now, Roseman has a chance to grab the spotlight. With 10 picks, including two in the second round, two in the third and two in the fourth, the Eagles can do what they want in the first round, where they currently pick 24th.

And, according to a number of league sources, Roseman has been snooping around to see what it would take to move up in the first round, perhaps into the top 10, to add a blue-chip defensive prospect, perhaps Tennessee safety Eric Berry, who was the only top-10 player in this draft to visit the Eagles at their Novacare practice facility.

In other words, he would be doing something "aggressive" -- to justify trading McNabb and help fix the Eagles' defense.

But to get Berry, the Eagles might have to mortgage the mother lode of what Roseman has collected this offseason. It may be too much for the rest of the organization, specifically Reid, to stomach.

However, the Eagles desperately need an impact player on defense, especially on the back end. Last season, under first-year defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, Philadelphia surrendered 15 touchdown passes off the blitz -- most in the league. Under McDermott’s late predecessor, Jim Johnson, the Eagles never gave up more than seven TD passes off the blitz in a single season.

The Eagles finished 19th in the league in points allowed in 2009 -- the worst ranking of the Reid era in Philly. But McDermott was not necessarily the problem -- he blitzed on 41 percent of the called pass plays in 2009. In 2008, under Johnson, that number was 42 percent.

The secondary simply could not carry out the plan. Right cornerback Sheldon Brown, hampered by injuries, was often ineffective in coverage. He was traded to Cleveland. And Pro Bowl free safety Brian Dawkins, now with the Denver Broncos, was never adequately replaced.

This year, free agent Marlin Jackson -- allowed to walk by the Indianapolis Colts because he’s battling back from two knee surgeries – might not be the answer at free safety, either.

That leaves a big hole on a defense that is predicated on the blitz in a league that is driven by the passing game. With more and more teams spreading the formation, a big-time free safety is no longer a luxury -- even if it’s a rookie.

According to multiple league sources, here is what the Eagles are thinking:

Option No. 1: Go for broke by trying to trade into the top 10 and select Berry. Possible trade partner: the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 5. Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli is said to be interested in moving down. But to move from No. 24 to No. 5 will take multiple picks, including the 2010 selection the Eagles acquired from the Redskins in the McNabb deal, No. 37.

And Roseman might not want to make that deal.

"I like the idea of having the fifth pick in the draft on Day 2," he said. Indeed, after the close of business on Thursday night, the Eagles can put a "for sale" sign on that 37th pick and fetch a hefty price from a team desperate to move up in the second round on Friday.

"There is no way I would give up that 37th pick -- it will be like gold on Friday," said one AFC front office executive. "They could set themselves up nicely -- take a terrific player in a deep draft, recoup picks, or trade it for a first rounder in 2011. It’s a great position to be in. Unless they can get Berry, they should not trade that pick."

Option No. 2: Trade with the Miami Dolphins at No. 12, where Berry is most likely already gone. That might be more doable. There, the Eagles could select free safety Earl Thomas of Texas -- a nice consolation prize to Berry. But would he be enough to justify what it would take to get him?

Option No. 3: Move up just a few spots and take a top cornerback who could compete with veteran Ellis Hobbs (coming back from neck surgery) at the open right corner spot.

Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson, who is represented by Joel Segal, Michael Vick’s agent, was targeted early by the Eagles coaching staff. With McDermott in attendance, the Eagles conducted Wilson’s pro day workout on campus.

Newly hired defensive backs coach Dick Jauron was at the pro day for cornerback Devin McCourty at Rutgers University. McCourty is considered the second cornerback prospect behind Joe Haden of Florida, and the Eagles like players from New Brunswick, N.J.

But will sitting back be enough to satisfy the expectations created by trading McNabb?

"This is the second-most important draft Andy Reid has had since he took McNabb back in ’99, his first year," said Ellis. "This team is under a lot of pressure to get this right
    www.myspace.com
    this season is going to be such a soap opera as it is...can you imagine if this happens?

from gcobb:

McNabb and Owens Would Make Skins Playoff Contenders
    Could you imagine the Washington Redskins returning to Philadelphia to battle the Eagles with Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens leading the way for the Skins?

You think that’s impossible. Well it’s not.

ESPN has reported that McNabb has encouraged Washington coach Mike Shanahan to sign Owens and make him a Redskin.

ESPN reported that McNabb and Owens patched up their relationship when they were teammates at a taping of the Pro’s vs. Joe’s basketball segment earlier in the off season.

Their relationship was rocky in Philadelphia when Owens demanded that he be able to renegotiate his contract and McNabb refused to publicly get involved with it.

From a football perspective, I think this is a great idea for the Skins and would make Washington a threat to make the playoffs. Like Owens or not, the guy continues to be productive and nobody takes care of his body like the future Hall of Famer.

Everybody knows the Skins have serious needs on their offensive line, but they also have needs at the wide receiever position.

Young wide receivers Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas haven’t proven they can play in the NFL as of yet, but they would benefit greatly if the Skins were to sign Owens because he has tremendous knowledge of the west coast offense from a wide receiver’s perspective.

They will get better as receivers from seeing Owens work against a defense. He would also draw the attention of opposing defenses which would help veteran wide receiver Santana Moss and Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley.

I know these guys aren’t spring chickens, but the thought of dealing with McNabb, Owens, Moss, and Cooley as well as a tough running game would give any defensive coordinator a lot to think about.

McNabb and Owens wouldn’t have to put up the numbers they did in 2004, but if they could do half of what of they did then, it would make the Skins very tough to beat.

They already have one of the better defenses in the league, adding Owens would greatly improve the production of their offense.

Will it happen? I doubt it but if it does, you know where the NFL cameras will spend most of their time this season.
    www.myspace.com
    they can have him, he's done.

what's up with your sources? gonzo, g-cobb (again), 610...come on, you're better than that. If you start sending john clark quotes you're going on posting probation
    The Fixer wrote:

what's up with your sources? gonzo, g-cobb (again), 610...come on, you're better than that. If you start sending john clark quotes you're going on posting probation

how's ed werder and sal palontonio on the front page of espn.com (the article gcobb was referencing)?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5118016

does that meet your approval, guy?
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

how's ed werder and sal palontonio on the front page of espn.com (the article gcobb was referencing)?

anything is better than g-cobb. the story is everywhere. I am looking forward to seeing the schedule tonight. me and my buddies usually hit a road game.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

anything is better than g-cobb. the story is everywhere. I am looking forward to seeing the schedule tonight. me and my buddies usually hit a road game.

really? i didnt see it on si.com, sportsline, foxsports.com, 700 level etc etc etc. only other place i saw it was philly.com and pft.com.

dont get your beef with gcobb. lots of good insight on his site if you can get past the horrific grammar. he makes metsfan look like an english professor.

schedule will be out shortly. a few games have already leaked...
    www.myspace.com
    of course rosenhouse was on sportscenter saying TO wants to play with donovan. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    Gcobb is horrible,the dude is wrong more then any reporter out there.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Gcobb is horrible,the dude is wrong more then any reporter out there.

well with scooping stuff, he's not good. but, like a lot of other eagles blogs, its a good site to check out to see what is going on. he usually has stories like that up shortly after some other place has it. i also like his insights into the actual game too.
    www.myspace.com
    Eagles open at home against Packers
    Posted by Michael David Smith on April 20, 2010 6:37 PM ET
    Another piece of the NFL schedule puzzle has fallen into place before the official prime time announcement.

Howard Eskin of WIP Radio in Philadelphia is reporting that the Eagles will open at home against the Green Bay Packers.

Per Eskin, the Eagles will play in five prime time games.

The full schedule will be announced at 7 p.m. Eastern.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, he's single. best part about it is that my wife hates it there. she refuses to go. only half his basement is finished so there is a beer pong table over on the unfinished side. and he has a hot tub out back.

it's paradise. my sanctuary. during football season we all kick him some money to help pay for the TV costs (direct TV boxes, college/NFL packages, electric, etc)

Holy Crap the ultimate bachelor pad !

You have room for one more next season ?

:P

Another piece of the NFL schedule puzzle has fallen into place before the official prime time announcement.

Howard Eskin of WIP Radio in Philadelphia is reporting that the Eagles will open at home against the Green Bay Packers.

I've been lucky the last 4 home openers and got tickets when they went on-sale

Should be a good game

Should be a good game

home openers are always a good time.
    looks like 5 will come home 10/3....
    www.myspace.com

Should be a good game

home openers are always a good time.
    looks like 5 will come home 10/3....

This league is crazy when you have a 2hr show to release schedules :lol:

10/3 for McNugget would be nice

This discussion has been closed.