THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    crazypjfan wrote:
    pete prisco's eagles draft grade.....A+ :clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    i am still digesting this draft. spent yesterday at an all day jack and jill baby shower and got completely annihilated. seriously. jack and jill baby showers mixed with pool, beer pong, and the draft is a deadly combination. but my draft geek friend was pretty stoked when we took that ricky sapp guy yesterday. apparently pete prisco loves him....

rest of division:
    giants.....A
    redskins...B-
    dallas.....B-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/stor ... ist_footer

Philadelphia Eagles

Best pick: Trading up in the first round to get Brandon Graham. He will be a 13-sack player in two years. I love the kid.

Questionable move: Trading Donovan McNabb for a second-round pick. But that's nitpicking.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round pick Ricky Sapp was a potential first-round selection until he tore up a knee two years ago. He moved to outside linebacker, but he is more of a down end.

Analysis: You look up and down their draft board and it's full of really good players. They had a lot of picks and the Eagles really did a nice job with them. That shouldn't be surprising.

Grade: A+

I guess you think Prisco has some credibility? I will keep that in mind when he picks the Cowboys to win this year's Super Bowl.

men are talking. run along junior. run along...
    www.myspace.com
    overall looks to be somewhere in the B range. only time will tell though, obviously. i think i'm happy with it...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... rades.html

Rounding up Eagles draft grades
    The Eagles selected South Florida safety Nate Allen in the second round at No. 37. (Ron Tarver / Staff photographer) Yes, I know that it's probably unfair to hand grades out right after the draft. Instead, we should probably wait until three years after the fact.

But this is 2010. Who wants to wait that long?

So here's a roundup of how people across the country are grading the Eagles' draft.

We'll do this in a couple parts since I know more grades are sure to trickle in today. If you have some that I missed, e-mail me.

And if you missed it, I offered some analysis with my thoughts on Sunday. Thanks for the kind comments on that piece by the way. Much appreciated.

The roundup:

We start locally. Paul Domowitch of the Daily News gives the Eagles an A-minus:

Graham and Allen should help a defense that gave up 27 TD passes last season. Added more speed at LB, but didn’t get a corner until the fourth round.

Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News gives the Eagles a C:

Graham was the most polished pass rusher in this draft. The Eagles also had the best fourth round. Harbor gives QB Kevin Kolb a move tight end in the Dallas Clark mold, and Kafka gives Andy Reid insurance at quarterback.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. gives the Eagles a B-plus:

The Eagles were positioned well to take advantage of a deep draft, and they did, piling up seven productive picks between the third and fifth rounds. But Philly started well too. In Brandon Graham they have a potential Rookie of the Year on defense. They filled a need at safety with Nate Allen, and I like Trevard Lindley in the fourth. He has second-round ability. Ricky Sapp may be a tweener, but getting a guy who can get to the quarterback like he can in the fifth round is good value. He could be a solid situational pass-rusher early in his career. Riley Cooper is quicker than many people think to go with above-average size.

SI.com's Ross Tucker thinks the Eagles should have taken Earl Thomas in the first round, not Brandon Graham:

The Birds need second-round pick Nate Allen to step up and fill the safety spot next to Quentin Mikell. That spot remains a question mark at a very important position in the pass-happy NFL.

SI.com's Peter King offers his take on the Eagles' draft:

An OK draft some in the league thought should have been better. I knew one team with draft-managers who cursed loudly when the Eagles traded up and took Brandon Graham at 13 -- instead of Earl Thomas -- because these personnel guys thought Graham was by far the best pass-rusher in the draft. That's what Philly needs, a bookend to Trent Cole. Daniel Te'o-Nesheim is the best defensive end in University of Washington history and should enter the Eagle rotation quickly, and Clay Harbor (125nd overall) will be good alternative to Brent Celek, also quickly. But a few personnel types I spoke with over the weekend though Philly overpicked in a few spots, especially safety Nate Allen of South Florida at 37.

FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki gives the Eagles a B-minus:

The Eagles gave up a lot to move up in the first round to take Michigan pass rusher Brandon Graham (pictured), who was a dominant performer in the Big Ten. Andy Reid is hoping that second-round pick Nate Allen of South Florida can shore up the safety position, but he’s not an intimidator like Brian Dawkins was for this franchise.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco gives the Eagles an A-plus:

You look up and down their draft board and it's full of really good players. They had a lot of picks and the Eagles really did a nice job with them. That shouldn't be surprising.

Gregg Rosenthal of NBCSports.com gives the Eagles a B:

Shockingly, Andy Reid didn't pick a single offensive lineman. But the value was good at each selection, and Graham and Allen are certain to help in year one.

Rob Rang of CBSSports.com gives the Eagles a B:

For a team that some believe is as deep as any in the league, however, wouldn't packaging some of those lower round picks for top-tier talent have been a better use of them?

Chris Steuber of Scout.com gives the Eagles an A-minus:

The biggest surprise of the Eagles draft was third round pick Daniel Te’o-Nesheim from Washington. A tweener on defense who can play inside or outside on the D-Line, Te’o-Nesheim was considered to be a late round prospect.
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453

Quit being scared and pay up on your bet from last season. Now that would show me you're a man!

Double or nothing on this one?: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=129576
    crazypjfan wrote:

Quit being scared and pay up on your bet from last season. Now that would show me you're a man!

Double or nothing on this one?: http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=129576

wow that's pathetic. guess i will add lack of originality to the list of many reasons why cockroach fans are horrendous.

come on dude. copying my annual thread? you gotta come up with something more creative than that. pretty sad. :roll:
    www.myspace.com

come on dude. copying my annual thread? you gotta come up with something more creative than that. pretty sad. :roll:

copying your annual thread? I am sorry, I didn't realize you had a 50th anniversary thread for the Eagles championship drought.

The Cowboys broke their playoff streak after your silly thread from last year. Who knows, maybe this is what the Eagles need to wake up and win the big one!?

Now go try and sell some houses...and be honest to those potential customers, ok?
    crazypjfan wrote:

copying your annual thread? I am sorry, I didn't realize you had a 50th anniversary thread for the Eagles championship drought.

The Cowboys broke their playoff streak after your silly thread from last year. Who knows, maybe this is what the Eagles need to wake up and win the big one!?

Now go try and sell some houses...and be honest to those potential customers, ok?

you're a tool. no two ways about it.
    www.myspace.com
    crazypjfan wrote:

I'm not the one who spends an entire afternoon writing about a team that is going NOWHERE. :lol:

And I'm the tool? Right...
    crazypjfan wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

I'm not the one who spends an entire afternoon writing about a team that is going NOWHERE. :lol:

And I'm the tool? Right...

indeed you are. now go beg for more people to post in your thread.

come at this one with knowledge. not childish instigations.
    www.myspace.com
    come at this one with knowledge. not childish instigations.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    god bless the eagles cheerleaders... and united states of america while we're at it:
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/cheer ... /index.asp
    5E8172E67A1A464E9E8071F68A1F064B.jpg
    :shock: :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    Loved the trade,not giving up either of our 2nd rd picks was huge.............Then the Eagles select EARL THOM.........WHO??????????? An undersized de go figure,can't say i know a damn thing about him but the one thing i know is i WANTED EARL THOMAS. There's not a fan alive who didn't think Thomas or even Derrick morgan wasn't the pick. State of mind = confused :? :? :? Not beating up on the pick just very very suprised by it.

haha, we thought same thing. all chanting thom-as, thom-as. then, what????

i'm against anyone from the big ten...most overrated league in football (at least they didn't take a guy from penn st, which would have instantly been a bust)

we'll see....questionable move by my boy reid. ughhh

i never thought i'd see the day that you'd question big red!

I wanted Thomas there. Oh well. At least it was a defensive guy

so much for my vick for a 3rd theory. I still think they try to move him before the season starts...then bring in garcia.

no one worse to influence a young team than mike vick. PLEASE GET RID OF HIM AND THE WILDCAT!!!!
    crazypjfan wrote:
    You might need to take safeties and cb's the rest of the way to hold off the Cowboys O next season :D

It's gonna be ridiculous. The funny thing is, I think Dez Bryant will be better than Desean Jackson. However, they have a lot of similarities.

Dez Bryant's mom had him when she was 12. And Michael Irvin/Deion Sanders will be mentoring him.

Good luck with that...as an eagles fan, I'm confident this dude will be in trouble with the law soon
    thinking in terms of the off season as a whole, here is what i posted in january to start this thread:
    my quick take? there are lots of questions and holes to fill. however its not something that can't be done before next season. it's not like we were 2-14 or the bills or something (chan gailey?!?!?! :wtf: ).

needs: d end opposite cole who can actually get to the qb...either middle or strong side lb (depending where they put stu) and saftey on d. offense is pretty much set and will only get better as the young bucks get more seasoned. need to get healthy on the line and pick up a back rb if westbrook doesnt come back. if don goes, i actually think kolb can manage the offense with this accuracy.
    what say you?
    GO BIRDS!

i thought we had 3 main priorites: 1: d end. 2: saftey. 3: linebacker. and i also thought kolb will be fine with his accuracy and the multitude of weapons already in place.

apparently the eagles listened to me.
    1-graham's gonna get to the qb and free up cole from being double teamed. i know people wish he was bigger. but he fits the mold and philosophy that reid has had since he's been here: speed speed speed. plus he's the same size as dumberville and freeney. i like the pick.

2-nate allen was a solid pick up at 37. a saftey who can cover and lay some people out. i read that he should be able to cover a tight end or two as well which is something we've been lacking. again--smallish, but has tons of speed. great pick.

3-the ernie simms trade was a steal for a 5th round pick. this was an excellent move. combined with bradley coming back, our lb corp is much improved. it will be interesting to see where everyone plays though. still have gaither, foku, and jordan coming back along with a couple mid round picks this weekend. training camp will be fun to watch.

we'll see what happens at corner. marlin jackson might end up there. hobbs will be back. this lindley kid might be a player out of kentucky. spending a 4th round pick on a 4 year starter in the sec seems like a good idea to me.

offense: i would have liked to see them take an o lineman yesterday. but we might not be in as bad shape there as people think either. got a pro bowl (despite all the frustration) tackle with jason peters. herremans is solid at left guard. center is an issue with jackson going to miss some games. but i'm okay with nick cole filling in after a full training camp at that position under his belt. plus we go up against some pretty bad defenses the first month of the season. then you got winston justice who proved he can play in this league at rt, and either max jean or stacy andrews at guard. the line was actually good for most of last season until the end when jackson went down and cole was thrown in there.

and with one of the best young reciever corps in the league, a pro bowl caliber te, a pro bowl fb and a solid running back, kolb should be fine.

don't look now but the eagles have managed to rebuild themselves over the past few years without suffering through a typical 3-4 year drought that most teams encounter when flipping over their roster. i like the direction we're heading gentlemen....

GO BIRDS.

they did listen to you. I spoke to reid sunday night and he said you were the influence of all their picks. he told me to thank you
    crazypjfan wrote:

let me guess...cowboys fan that's never been in texas?

I just want to understand...why the cowboys? I will never understand how this happens
    The Fixer wrote:

I just want to understand...why the cowboys? I will never understand how this happens

Bad guess....Dad was born in Tx. Been there several times as I still have relatives living south of Dallas.

Why the Eagles? I will never understand that one either....It's such a competitive division that it is hard to understand the reasoning for others liking anyone other than your team.

The biggest question though....Why the Deadskins?? How could you follow that mess... :roll: :lol:
    The Fixer wrote:

Dez Bryant's mom had him when she was 12. And Michael Irvin/Deion Sanders will be mentoring him.

Good luck with that...as an eagles fan, I'm confident this dude will be in trouble with the law soon

He will be in trouble soon because his mom had him when she was 12? That sure is a good reason... :roll:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

He will be in trouble soon because his mom had him when she was 12? That sure is a good reason... :roll:

pretty sure he was referencing the other issues with his mom that might cause him to fly off the handle if someone brings it up at an inopportune time. with the rothlesburger issue, most teams are being pretty cautious about the character thing. but of course, you know all about dez bryant and his shady history right? :lol: (quick--go do a google search on dez bryant). BEAT IT.
    www.myspace.com

pretty sure he was referencing the other issues with his mom that might cause him to fly off the handle if someone brings it up at an inopportune time. with the rothlesburger issue, most teams are being pretty cautious about the character thing. but of course, you know all about dez bryant and his shady history right? :lol: (quick--go do a google search on dez bryant). BEAT IT.

Cuz what this guy has done is soooo bad, right? Come on, you wouldn't have a thing to say about him if he was drafted by any other team outside of the division. He's on the same level as Desean Jackson and will probably be a better receiver.

Do you think Jeff Ireland was right in asking him if his mom was a prostitute? I think the guy should be fined for bringing up personal stuff and stereotyping the guy. Ditka thinks he should be "whacked in the head"! LOL
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    $12.26mil for a guy with 62 career completions. Damn, Philly is printing money these days.
    crazypjfan wrote:

Cuz what this guy has done is soooo bad, right? Come on, you wouldn't have a thing to say about him if he was drafted by any other team outside of the division. He's on the same level as Desean Jackson and will probably be a better receiver.

Do you think Jeff Ireland was right in asking him if his mom was a prostitute? I think the guy should be fined for bringing up personal stuff and stereotyping the guy. Ditka thinks he should be "whacked in the head"! LOL

how is he on the same level as desean jackson? jackson had a complete opposite upbringing with him being raised in a tight and supportive family. plus he was never suspended for a full season by the ncaa...plus, they are complete opposite kinds of wide recievers. not sure what you mean.

better rush to google.com dude...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    $12.26mil for a guy with 62 career completions. Damn, Philly is printing money these days.

from scouts.com:
    His salary could be increased by only 30% because of a clause in the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

solid move. i am glad they did this instead of instantly locking him up for 3 or 4 years. give him a chance to prove his worth while not being tied down to him early on.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

from scouts.com:
    His salary could be increased by only 30% because of a clause in the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

solid move. i am glad they did this instead of instantly locking him up for 3 or 4 years. give him a chance to prove his worth while not being tied down to him early on.

12.26 is mostly a signing bonus i think, that does not factor into the 30% i believe. Either way, I hear you about not doing 3 or 4 years.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

from scouts.com:

12.26 is mostly a signing bonus i think, that does not factor into the 30% i believe. Either way, I hear you about not doing 3 or 4 years.

okay...well then its that plus an extra 390k or so...i think thats about the going rate for a starting qb drafted as high as he was these days.

Agent: Rule Limited Kolb Deal to 1 Year
    The Eagles have signed new starting quarterback Kevin Kolb to a 1-year contract extention through the 2011 season.

Kolb was set to play out the final year on his original rookie contract, which would have paid him about $1.3 million. An Eagles source and Kolb's agent, Jeff Nalley, said the unusual brevity of the extenson was because of the expiring collective bargaining agreement, and the subsequent rule that contract extensions can only increase salary by 30 percent a year. Adam Caplan of Scout.com reported Kolb will get $12.26 million guaranteed, most of it a signing bonus, which is not affected by the rule. An Eagles source confirmed the figure.

"I think both sides thought it was important to do this," Nalley said.

"It's been a good month," Kolb said at an afternoon news conference. He was named the starter after the trade of Donovan McNabb, greeted a new daughter, and got a big raise, all in April.

"It means a lot," Kolb said. "You never want to let anybody down, especially when they've put that much faith in you."

Kolb could have played out his deal and forced the Eagles to franchise him next year -- but if he suffered a serious injury this season, he could have gotten nothing.

"Just security," he said when asked his reason for wanting the extension. "Getting it out of the way" so he can concentrate on leading the young team.

“We’re happy to have Kevin under contract for the next two seasons,” said head coach Andy Reid. “When given the chance, Kevin has proven to have good command of this offense and we’re looking forward to having him operate as the number one quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles.”

Added Eagles general manager Howie Roseman, “We’re excited about what we’ve seen from Kevin during his three seasons in Philadelphia both on and off the field. We’re happy to get this contract in place for the near future and are looking forward to keeping Kevin in Philadelphia for many more years to come.”

Said Eagles president Joe Banner, “I’d like to thank Kevin and his agent Jeff Nalley for their work in getting this contract signed. We’re very happy with Kevin and all the attributes he brings to this organization and we’re pleased to sign another young, ascending player to a contract. It’s something that this organization has prioritized over the last several years.”

BTW, rookie Ricky Sapp said today he will be a strongside linebacker, not a defensive end for the Eagles, as indicated by the team last weekend. Interesting switch.
    www.myspace.com
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Bad guess....Dad was born in Tx. Been there several times as I still have relatives living south of Dallas.

Why the Eagles? I will never understand that one either....It's such a competitive division that it is hard to understand the reasoning for others liking anyone other than your team.

The biggest question though....Why the Deadskins?? How could you follow that mess... :roll: :lol:

so you like the cowboys because your dad was born in dallas? that makes no sense. my dad was born in NY, but I grew up in philly...therefore I root for the eagles, since they are the team from the city where I live.

it's not rocket science
    The Fixer wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

so you like the cowboys because your dad was born in dallas? that makes no sense. my dad was born in NY, but I grew up in philly...therefore I root for the eagles, since they are the team from the city where I live.

it's not rocket science

Yeah, when you grow up around Cowboys football and go to their home games as a kid, you become attached.

Don't question me. I'm sorry that you chose to root for the eagles. Have fun there ;)
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

Yeah, when you grow up around Cowboys football and go to their home games as a kid, you become attached.

Don't question me. I'm sorry that you chose to root for the eagles. Have fun there ;)

you're 2nd generation f word. we got a whole thread devoted to this. c'mon guys!
    www.myspace.com

The biggest question though....Why the Deadskins?? How could you follow that mess... :roll: :lol:[/quote]

it's not rocket science[/quote]

Don't question me. I'm sorry that you chose to root for the eagles. Have fun there ;)[/quote]

FAIL

I grew up going to yankee games. but I live in philly so I'm a phillies fan (just like the other 3 philly teams).

You like the other teams from dallas too right? Must be great rooting for the Rangers every year
    The Fixer wrote:
    You like the other teams from dallas too right? Must be great rooting for the Rangers every year

Don't watch much baseball or basketball so I don't have a team.

Bye now...
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Don't watch much baseball or basketball so I don't have a team.

Bye now...

:lol:
    alright thank you wheels
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    crazypjfan wrote:

I KNEW THIS GUY WAS A FUCKING FRAUD. Fucking knew it! As a REAL fan of a team from MY city, let me just say it's fucking almost May and I have two other professional sports teams that represent MY city to worry about. So go wallow in your Dallas thread...or your pathetic attempt at your 50 years without a championship thread because it doesn't begin and end with one team here. Know what feeling I experienced in October of 2008 that you'll NEVER experience in your lifetime? The feeling of MY team from MY city winning it all. Now go jump back on the tailgate of that bandwagon before it pulls away without you.
This discussion has been closed.