THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    Jaegs you have to admit there is some truth to the Fixer's comments about how the Reid haters come out like gangbusters after every loss. But I am not going to go down that path.

As for the game no doubt Andy didn't have a good game and I would surely have made different decisions on the field goals and onsides kicks but to be honest those had very little to do with winning the game. In fact most reasonable people with reasonable NFL knowledge knew this was a very difficult spot going into the game. Coming off a tough physical division game on short rest on the road against a pretty good physicial football team it was going to take a heck of an effort to win today. Coming in I thought this team would lose today. Didn't play well enough in any aspect of the game. All facets were average or below today. Let's not over-analyze this. It's a loss move on and win the next game. Still in 1st place and control destiny as far as the division goes. Gut out a win on short rest of thursday and get back on a roll after a long rest.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jaegs you have to admit there is some truth to the Fixer's comments about how the Reid haters come out like gangbusters after every loss. But I am not going to go down that path.
    t.

sure. but he was talking to me. and, as you know, i'm here win or lose. good or bad. we won last week and i said we had a bad game plan. also, one of the people questioning andy's calls tonight was a bears fan. gotta be able to discuss things rationally without calling people "idiots." ....also, it's not every loss. it's losses like this. there was not a lot of hating after the titans game for example.

bottom line--they were 1-5 in the red zone again. they left way too many points on the board. bears special teams killed us. the defense tackled poorly. this game just showed how important asante is to our defense. no turnovers for the first time all year. the front 7 allowed a 100 yard rusher for the first time all year too.

again---i had a feeling we'd be in for one of these kinds of games today. we have one or two of them every year. just a shame that it's a conference game that we could have won--may end up killing us in terms of tie breakers.

the short turnaround, i think, is good. looks like a johnson's gonna be out.
    www.myspace.com
    sure. but he was talking to me. and, as you know, i'm here win or lose. good or bad. we won last week and i said we had a bad game plan. also, one of the people questioning andy's calls tonight was a bears fan. gotta be able to discuss things rationally without calling people "idiots." ....also, it's not every loss. it's losses like this. there was not a lot of hating after the titans game for example.

bottom line--they were 1-5 in the red zone again. they left way too many points on the board. bears special teams killed us. the defense tackled poorly. this game just showed how important asante is to our defense. no turnovers for the first time all year. the front 7 allowed a 100 yard rusher for the first time all year too.

again---i had a feeling we'd be in for one of these kinds of games today. we have one or two of them every year. just a shame that it's a conference game that we could have won--may end up killing us in terms of tie breakers.

the short turnaround, i think, is good. looks like a johnson's gonna be out.

Jaegs totally agree on the tiebreaker comment. we have now lost to both the Bears and Packers and with Atlanta looking like a 12 win team getting a bye even if we win division might be difficult. Winning that 2nd Giants game is going to be massive to our playoff chances. tie-breakers don't our way for wild card scenarios.
    as for coaching decisions don't think the Bears should have thrown the ball on 3rd and 9 with the Eagles having no timeouts. game the Eagles another 45 seconds plus 15 yards for Cutler going nuts.
    pjhawks wrote:

Jaegs totally agree on the tiebreaker comment. we have now lost to both the Bears and Packers and with Atlanta looking like a 12 win team getting a bye even if we win division might be difficult. Winning that 2nd Giants game is going to be massive to our playoff changes. tie-breakers don't our way for wild card scenarios.

atlanta will be tough to beat at home in january. they're awesome at home.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    are you guys still trying to figure out what happened. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    Let's rebound on Thursday against Houston! Defense hurt us giving up the big plays and we couldn't stop that damn devin hester!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Eagles are still my pick. It was pretty ugly today, but I still think your boys are the best in the NFC.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Funny listening to you guys argue about Reid.

How many championships has he brought to Philly?

You only have to read a couple of Fixers posts to realize she really knows nothing about football. As a matter of fact it sounds like it's probably her 10 yo daughter making the posts.

Sorry Jeags but the Eagles are frauds again.
    #FHP
  • 81 wrote:
    are you guys still trying to figure out what happened. :lol:

We know what happened

A lot of blame to go around for this one

Some just don't see things the same
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • pjhawks wrote:

Jaegs totally agree on the tiebreaker comment. we have now lost to both the Bears and Packers and with Atlanta looking like a 12 win team getting a bye even if we win division might be difficult. Winning that 2nd Giants game is going to be massive to our playoff changes. tie-breakers don't our way for wild card scenarios.

atlanta will be tough to beat at home in january. they're awesome at home.

Yeah that aint happening with Ryan at QB

He's like 18-1 @ home

• cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Looks like Andre Johnson will be playing Thurs. night...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-johnson/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    BinauralJam wrote:
    I think we exposed how to beat Vick.

Jeagler wrote:
    force him to his right :shh: :shh: :shh:

I didn't tell anybody.
    BinauralJam wrote:

Jeagler wrote:

I didn't tell anybody.

damn it. you think lovie smith reads this board? :lol:

still in a game where he got "beat" he still ended up with a 94% qb rating.
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,931
    OK.....I can't read all this shit, but.....

I don't like the bears. but bill simmons made a pretty salient point on PTI last week. one big reason the bears get no respect is that they don't have a lot of fantasy guys. but they can still be a decent team, right? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

I don't like the bears. but bill simmons made a pretty salient point on PTI last week. one big reason the bears get no respect is that they don't have a lot of fantasy guys. but they can still be a decent team, right? :?

makes sense. a lot of people do not like cutler either.

i said this in the bears thread---as long the offense can find a way to put 17 on the board, that defense will win them a lot of games.
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    I wouldn't worry about it. Don't worry about it. I'm not worried at all...
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • booomm11 wrote:

BooooooooooooMMMMMMMMMMMM !!

Where you be hiding ??

imalive wrote:

i said this in the bears thread---as long the offense can find a way to put 17 on the board, that defense will win them a lot of games.

would love a rematch with the Bears in the playoffs. Chances of Cutler and their offense doing that to us against us are almost zero. Right place right time for the Bears to beat us last week.

As for this week don't have a problem with Johnson not being suspended for the Eagles game but how can you justify his fine being $15,000 (and originally half before Reid had Samuel's cut down) LESS than Samuel's? I would think fighting and punching a guy multiple times would be worse than actually making a play during the game. NFL is so screwed up right now.
    booomm11 wrote:

Where you be hiding ??

Gettin paper, chasin ho's playa ;)

I went to back to school last spring and just been really busy since dude.
    pjhawks wrote:
    imalive wrote:

would love a rematch with the Bears in the playoffs. Chances of Cutler and their offense doing that to us against us are almost zero. Right place right time for the Bears to beat us last week.

As for this week don't have a problem with Johnson not being suspended for the Eagles game but how can you justify his fine being $15,000 (and originally half before Reid had Samuel's cut down) LESS than Samuel's? I would think fighting and punching a guy multiple times would be worse than actually making a play during the game. NFL is so screwed up right now.

most likely we're gonna have to win the division now to get to that point.

i think we beat the texans. reid's teams always have a game like this and then go on a streak to end the season. i see this like the thanksgiving game back in '08 after the ravens debacle.

hopefully samuel plays.
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11 wrote:
    booomm11 wrote:

Where you be hiding ??

Gettin paper, chasin ho's playa ;)

I went to back to school last spring and just been really busy since dude.

HaHa! Nice

Don't be a stranger around these parts

You miss all the Chaos !

:P

• I love how every Philly sports thread is a raging argument. If a mod wanted to read through these, they would surely lock them. :lol:

That was a crappy loss. Can't believe how important Samuel was to the defense. D-Patterson looked completely lost for first 3 quarters.

We'll rebound. Houston sucks. 3 of the last 5 against teams from Texas - weird. Now I just hope 94 syncs with verizon cable, because if I have to listen to Joe Theismann for 3 hours I'm going to stab my eardrums with an icepick.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I love how every Philly sports thread is a raging argument. If a mod wanted to read through these, they would surely lock them. :lol:

That was a crappy loss. Can't believe how important Samuel was to the defense. D-Patterson looked completely lost for first 3 quarters.

We'll rebound. Houston sucks. 3 of the last 5 against teams from Texas - weird. Now I just hope 94 syncs with verizon cable, because if I have to listen to Joe Theismann for 3 hours I'm going to stab my eardrums with an icepick.

check the '09 thread. mods do check sports threads every once in a blue moon :evil:

kat and sea are the best mods ever though! :thumbup: :wave:
    www.myspace.com
    BinauralJam wrote:

Jeagler wrote:

I didn't tell anybody.

football outsiders is awesome. birds offense/vick have got to adjust:

How to shut down Michael Vick
    Forcing the Eagles QB to his right and to throw underneath is plan for success

By Vince Verhei
    Football Outsiders

Michael VickDennis Wierzbicki/US PresswireThe Chicago Bears did a great job of slowing down Michael Vick on Sunday.

After his 412-yard, six-touchdown performance against the Washington Redskins on Monday Night Football, Michael Vick looked like he was ready to lead the Philadelphia Eagles to the Super Bowl. A week later against the Giants, Vick looked much more ordinary, and on Sunday the Chicago Bears showed that Vick was not unbeatable after all, defeating the Eagles 31-26 and rearranging the NFC playoff picture. Both teams used similar tactics to contain Vick, but the Bears used one key strategy to defeat him.

When the left-handed Vick scrambles to his left, he's looking to throw, but when he moves to the right, he usually runs. Vick has thrown 43 percent of his passes to the left side of the field this season. Of the 38 quarterbacks with at least 100 pass attempts this season, only Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck has thrown to the left more often. Vick has gone to the right only 30 percent of the time, less often than anyone except his former backup, Matt Schaub. The 13 percent difference between the two makes Vick the league's most "left-handed" passer. Dallas' Jon Kitna is next at 10 percent, and nobody else is higher than 6 percent. (Ironically, Vick's backup Kevin Kolb is the second-most right-handed quarterback in the league.)

The best way to stop Vick from going to his left is to throw a big, angry pass rusher at him from the defense's right side. The Bears have one of the best right ends in the league in Julius Peppers, while the Giants have two elite ends in Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora. Peppers' half-dozen sacks may not look impressive, but he leads the league with 13 quarterback hits after the pass. His 19 combined quarterback knockdowns rank fourth in the NFL; Tuck and Umenyiora are both in the top 20. Before Vick played the Giants and Bears, Vick's "left-handed" score was at 17 percent; in the past two weeks, he's been almost balanced at 6 percent.

Having taken away the left side of the field, the next step to stopping Vick is to take away the deep ball. He has been successful on 53 percent of his passes that go at least 15 yards past the line of scrimmage, the fourth-highest rate in the league, which makes Vick one of nine quarterbacks more likely to gain successful yardage throwing deep than he is throwing short.

That means it's important to get a pass rush with your front four (and, for 3-4 teams, outside linebackers), leaving inside linebackers and safeties deep to cover receivers. The Giants have gotten 91 percent of their sacks from their normal pass rushers this season, the seventh-highest rate in football; the Bears are just outside the top 10 at 87 percent. Although neither team stopped Vick on deep passes, they both contained him. Vick's Success Rate on deep throws the past two weeks has barely dipped, from 55 percent to 50 percent. However, the damage from those deep throws has been controlled -- they've averaged 25.4 yards per completion, down from the 37.3 Vick averaged before that.

With those areas of field covered, only two areas of the field remain available to attack: the short middle and the short right. The Giants took away the middle, allowing only two passes there and 10 to the short right. Vick burned them, completing nine of those short right passes for 69 yards. The Giants overlooked one crucial detail: While Vick rarely throws short to the right, when he does, he gains successful yardage 50 percent of the time, a rate that ranks 14th in the league.

The Bears, on the other hand, exposed their soft underbelly, allowing Vick to throw to the short middle 16 times, and that was wise strategy. The short middle of the field is the one area where Vick has struggled this season. His 44 percent Success Rate there this year is sixth-worst in football -- and that includes his 10 successes against the Bears, who were protecting a two-score lead for most of the second half and were happy to give up short gains that ate up clock. Take out Sunday's contest, and Vick's Success Rate on short-middle passes sinks to 35 percent. That would tie another running quarterback, Vince Young, for the worst such rate in football.

And that is how you beat Vick: get pressure in his face from his left, take away the left side of the field and deeper zones and make him consistently hit short passes in the middle of the field. The Giants and Bears followed this plan and proved that even in this year, the best of his career, it's possible to slow Michael Vick.
    www.myspace.com
    you'll see me around!

It's crazy Andre Johnson didn't get suspended...
    let's hope asante is back tomorrow night...though i am not overly optimistic.

the two games our secondary got torched were the two games he was out. that is no coincidence.

lot of points will be on the board tomorrow night....
    www.myspace.com
  • let's hope asante is back tomorrow night...though i am not overly optimistic.

the two games our secondary got torched were the two games he was out. that is no coincidence.

Parker is out

35-28 Birds

I think Asante misses this game also

let's hope asante is back tomorrow night...though i am not overly optimistic.

Parker is out

35-28 Birds

I think Asante misses this game also

yeah....i'm thinking somewhere in the 30's for both teams.

this is an absolute must win because i think the last 4 will be difficult. it's tough to sweep the giants 2 years in a row....dallas is playing better and always matches up well with us. the vikings defense is still decent.

a win here followed by a 10 day layoff to rest up for the stretch run will be lovely.
    www.myspace.com
  • Vick&Co. are gonna rip up the Texans tomorrow night. I want to see that swagger back.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Horos wrote:
    Funny listening to you guys argue about Reid.

How many championships has he brought to Philly?

You only have to read a couple of Fixers posts to realize she really knows nothing about football. As a matter of fact it sounds like it's probably her 10 yo daughter making the posts.

please dude. bring something more than that. if you disagree with me that's fine...at least have the balls to say why you disagree.
This discussion has been closed.