THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    After today I'm near the brink of ranking football below college hoops on my levels of importance in my choices of sports. I'm starting to realize that refs are no longer about facilitating a fair playing field, but to control the game. I'm just sayin...starting to become more and more disenchanted with this stupid sport.

the call on cole for touching manning's helmet with his f@cking fingernail was an ABOMINATION. this was the worst officiated game i think i've ever seen.

Jaegs, simple you can't touch a QB in the head, it's a penalty no matter how shitty of a rule it is. I don't have a problem so much with the calls for hitting guys in the head. i understand trying to get that out of the game fine but those officials missed too many other calls. the non-interference call with 6:00 on 3rd and 10 against Jackson was brutal - same call they call against Stew Bradley at least once a week. Vick get tackled at least 5 yards out of bounds and nothing called because it came one play after a ticky tack personal foul for hitting Vick. The ridiculous TD call on Vick's run that wasn't close, then not calling the next play a touchdown for like 30 seconds even though he was in by 3 yard. Terrible officiating.

5-3 with this defense is pretty impressive. I almost never think they are stopping anyone. Why do we continue to allow Stewart Bradley into pass coverage after 1st down? He couldn't guard me over the middle at this point. Patterson was damn good in coverage yesterday. Was impressed. I think the Fixer has been touting that guy since the beginning of the season. Lots and lots of weapons on offense and Vick not turning the ball over have been huge. One game past where i'd thought they'd be at this point with 2 games with the tanking Cowboys at the end. Huge game next week against the Redskins, can't lose twice to a division opponent who might be close to wild card run - can't lose those tie-breakers. Andy Reid keeps it going doesn't he?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    After today I'm near the brink of ranking football below college hoops on my levels of importance in my choices of sports. I'm starting to realize that refs are no longer about facilitating a fair playing field, but to control the game. I'm just sayin...starting to become more and more disenchanted with this stupid sport.

the call on cole for touching manning's helmet with his f@cking fingernail was an ABOMINATION. this was the worst officiated game i think i've ever seen.

Jaegs, simple you can't touch a QB in the head, it's a penalty no matter how shitty of a rule it is. I don't have a problem so much with the calls for hitting guys in the head. i understand trying to get that out of the game fine but those officials missed too many other calls. the non-interference call with 6:00 on 3rd and 10 against Jackson was brutal - same call they call against Stew Bradley at least once a week. Vick get tackled at least 5 yards out of bounds and nothing called because it came one play after a ticky tack personal foul for hitting Vick. The ridiculous TD call on Vick's run that wasn't close, then not calling the next play a touchdown for like 30 seconds even though he was in by 3 yard. Terrible officiating.

5-3 with this defense is pretty impressive. I almost never think they are stopping anyone. Why do we continue to allow Stewart Bradley into pass coverage after 1st down? He couldn't guard me over the middle at this point. Patterson was damn good in coverage yesterday. Was impressed. I think the Fixer has been touting that guy since the beginning of the season. Lots and lots of weapons on offense and Vick not turning the ball over have been huge. One game past where i'd thought they'd be at this point with 2 games with the tanking Cowboys at the end. Huge game next week against the Redskins, can't lose twice to a division opponent who might be close to wild card run - can't lose those tie-breakers. Andy Reid keeps it going doesn't he?

well he is one hell of a regular season coach. there is no denying that. :mrgreen:

i like our chances down the stretch...
    www.myspace.com
  • So I'm one of 3 people left in a survivor pool. Trying to win $800.

Here are my choices this week:
    Bears (vs. Vikings) - This scares me because the Vikings are completely unpredictable
    Bucs (vs. Panthers) - I lke picking against Carolina because they are horrible, but TB are the cardiac kids
    Giants (vs. Cowboys) - This seems way too obvious - maybe the Boys will wake up this week, maybe the Giants will look ahead to the Birds? Am I overthinking this?

Let me know what you think, my fellow Philly sports talker people.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    So I'm one of 3 people left in a survivor pool. Trying to win $800.

Here are my choices this week:
    Bears (vs. Vikings) - This scares me because the Vikings are completely unpredictable
    Bucs (vs. Panthers) - I lke picking against Carolina because they are horrible, but TB are the cardiac kids
    Giants (vs. Cowboys) - This seems way too obvious - maybe the Boys will wake up this week, maybe the Giants will look ahead to the Birds? Am I overthinking this?

Let me know what you think, my fellow Philly sports talker people.

I'd go Bucs then Giants. For as bad as the Boys are they still do have talent. Carolina is just atrocious. No QB, and I think they'll be without both rb's again. TB played ATL tough.

Also, 13 year-old Andrew Reid was bigger than I am in adulthood. Dear......Lord.
    well he is one hell of a regular season coach. there is no denying that. :mrgreen:

he actually has one hell of a playoff record as well - rarely loses in the 1st round. Getting to 5 NFC Championship games is pretty darn hard to do. Granted we want a Super Bowl victory not doubt but his playoff record is still damn good.

the reason Andy Reid is a great coach is because whatever type of team he has he just wins games. It is very hard to win games in the NFL consistently and he has done it. Look at how many teams go south quickly when things go wrong, see Cowboys and Vikings this year for example - Reid's teams never ever quit on him and they never go in the tank. He has won with no receivers, no running backs, great defenses, shitty defenses - the guy just wins football games. Still early to count this as a playoff team but it is looking pretty darn good right now.
    pjhawks wrote:

he actually has one hell of a playoff record as well - rarely loses in the 1st round. Getting to 5 NFC Championship games is pretty darn hard to do. Granted we want a Super Bowl victory not doubt but his playoff record is still damn good.

the reason Andy Reid is a great coach is because whatever type of team he has he just wins games. It is very hard to win games in the NFL consistently and he has done it. Look at how many teams go south quickly when things go wrong, see Cowboys and Vikings this year for example - Reid's teams never ever quit on him and they never go in the tank. He has won with no receivers, no running backs, great defenses, shitty defenses - the guy just wins football games. Still early to count this as a playoff team but it is looking pretty darn good right now.

ha...sell that one a little harder dude. reid is a good coach. not great one. good. i have and will always say that. greatness comes with winning the biggest of big games...of which he has, to this point, always come up woefully small.

5-3 is exactly where i had this team at this point. granted i had them beating the skins and losing to the colts. but overall, this team is right on track. so he's coaching up to the talent he has to work with, which is what is expected of a good coach. thankfully he did not adhere to your two quarterback philosophy you spouted a couple months ago though :lol:

GO BIRDS!
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    tell him to keep throwing it to D. Jackson.

thanks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

ha...sell that one a little harder dude. reid is a good coach. not great one. good. i have and will always say that. greatness comes with winning the biggest of big games...of which he has, to this point, always come up woefully small.

5-3 is exactly where i had this team at this point. granted i had them beating the skins and losing to the colts. but overall, this team is right on track. so he's coaching up to the talent he has to work with, which is what is expected of a good coach. thankfully he did not adhere to your two quarterback philosophy you spouted a couple months ago though :lol:

GO BIRDS!
    '

getting to a Super Bowl and 4 other NFC Championships is winning big games. So the 4 NFC championship losses are big games because he lost, but the one he won isn't a big game because the lost the super bowl? illogical. winning one more game doesn't necessarily makes you better than someone who hasn't won it YET (remember Bill Cowher took what 12 years to win one...) - see Trent Dilfer vs. Dan Marino. and eli manning has as many titles as peyton, please don't tell me they are equals. and I'd love to know what current coaches are better than Andy Reid.
    pjhawks wrote:
    and I'd love to know what current coaches are better than Andy Reid.

i'd take Fisher over Reid

i think you could say the guy up in new england is better, although i can't stand him.

Giants HC
    Shannahan used to be, but's he's losing it.
    maybe the packers and new orleans coachs

Reid is in the top quarter of the league.

so much of it is organization.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    and I'd love to know what current coaches are better than Andy Reid.

i'd take Fisher over Reid

i think you could say the guy up in new england is better, although i can't stand him.

Giants HC
    Shannahan used to be, but's he's losing it.
    maybe the packers and new orleans coachs

Reid is in the top quarter of the league.

so much of it is organization.

What the heck has Jeff Fisher ever won? one good playoff run and that is it.

Bellicheck for sure.
    off the top of my head I think Fisher, Tomlin, and Peyton he is either right there with or slightly behind (i am probably missing someone)

Coughlin - I think Reid is a way better coach than Coughlin - don't forget he was getting fired before their hot playoff run to win the super bowl - one good run and one great win for coughlin and that is it.

Shanahan - one good run with Elway and that is it - has been under .500 I believe since Elway retired.

Maybe a few more that are close but need to be around longer and win for a decade: Whisenhut, Ryan, Harbaugh, Smith

the rest he is way better than.

He is closer to 2nd than 12th.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

:mrgreen:

i concede, based on regular season win %, it would be tough to make a case agaist reid
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

i concede, based on regular season win %, it would be tough to make a case agaist reid

113-70-1. Started out with a 3-13 team. Not too shabby, as flabbergasting as it is to watch him coach.

Sometimes winning in the playoffs is about luck & circumstance. 2004 team got matched up with a dynasty team at their peak. Of course, the 2002 team was a huge chokejob.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:

113-70-1. Started out with a 3-13 team. Not too shabby, as flabbergasting as it is to watch him coach.

Sometimes winning in the playoffs is about luck & circumstance. 2004 team got matched up with a dynasty team at their peak. Of course, the 2002 team was a huge chokejob.

pjhawks surfaces after most wins and always says the same old things like in he does in the phils thread. the guy's a good coach. he is by no means great. i don't think an nfl coach can be considered great until he wins at least one championship. can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

but really, as good a coach as he is...he should be better 12 years into his career. the same problems that persisted 10 years ago still abound now. even yesterday--biggest win this organization has had in a couple years and timeouts were mismanaged yet again. the challenge on first and goal from the 1 centimeter line was pretty stupid too. 3rd or 4th down, yes. 1st and a fingernail? no. that could have been a huge timeout...
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

pjhawks surfaces after most wins and always says the same old things like in the phils thread. the guy's a good coach. he is by no means great. i don't think an nfl coach can be considered great until he wins at least one championship. can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

but really, as good a coach as he is...he should be better 12 years into his career. the same problems that persisted 10 years ago still abound now. even yesterday--biggest win this organization has had in a couple years and timeouts were mismanaged yet again. the challenge on first and goal from the 1 centimeter line was pretty stupid too. 3rd or 4th down, yes. 1st and a fingernail? no. that could have been a huge timeout...

you always challenge TD's. never know when an INT or fumble is going to rear it's ugly head. if you get the ball into the endzone, you take it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

pjhawks surfaces after most wins and always says the same old things like in the phils thread. the guy's a good coach. he is by no means great. i don't think an nfl coach can be considered great until he wins at least one championship. can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

you always challenge TD's. never know when an INT or fumble is going to rear it's ugly head. if you get the ball into the endzone, you take it.

normally yes. but not on first and goal with a centimeter to go. i disagreed with that one firmly last night. the replays were not that supportive of it being overturned too imo.
    www.myspace.com
    normally yes. but not on first and goal with a centimeter to go. i disagreed with that one firmly last night. the replays were not that supportive of it being overturned too imo.

obviously, that plays a part in it. i didn't see the play, but if it wasn't close, then you bang away.

i just keep thinking of the cutler fumble that should have been called a td but was ruled a fumble and Lovie didn't challange.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

obviously, that plays a part in it. i didn't see the play, but if it wasn't close, then you bang away.

i just keep thinking of the cutler fumble that should have been called a td but was ruled a fumble and Lovie didn't challange.

what about a great coach who never won a super bowl. can you name one? marv levy i guess? but he at least won 4 afc championships. not sure i would consider him great but i guess you can make the argument...
    www.myspace.com
  • 81 wrote:

Being a cm away doesn't have anything to do with it. The reason you DON'T challenge is that you're not sure you're gonna win. Andy Reid always challenges with his heart, rather than his head.

Now, if you look at, say, Tom Coughlin, when he challenges, it's because he knows he's gonna win. Andy Reid challenges just because the crowd booed or whatever. That's why he wastes so many timeouts throwing red flags.

81 wrote:

Being a cm away doesn't have anything to do with it. The reason you DON'T challenge is that you're not sure you're gonna win. Andy Reid always challenges with his heart, rather than his head.

Now, if you look at, say, Tom Coughlin, when he challenges, it's because he knows he's gonna win. Andy Reid challenges just because the crowd booed or whatever. That's why he wastes so many timeouts throwing red flags.

my other beef with that challenge was how quickly he threw the flag. he made a split decision based on what i saw and what the rest of the crowd saw. you gotta give your people upstairs a little bit of time to look at every replay they have avaialble to them.

this is nit picking though. like i said--this was this organizations biggest win since 2008. just bugs me that reid continues to do things like that year in, year out.

agreed about coughlin though.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

what about a great coach who never won a super bowl. can you name one? marv levy i guess? but he at least won 4 afc championships. not sure i would consider him great but i guess you can make the argument...

Marty Schottenheimer 200 wins with a .613 winning %. he had a lot of good teams in multiple cities.

Chick Knox (186 @ .559)? Bud Grant(158 @.622)? Dan Reeves(190 @ .535 w/ 4 SB losses)

if i had to pick, i'd say Marty was a pretty fine ball coach that didn't win it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    worst coach all time, or at least record, Faye Abbott. 0-13 lifetime.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Jeags, this argument doesn't hold much water because there's been some so-so coaches to win championships and are totally overblown with their "legacies". I'd take Reid over any coach in the league except for probably Belicheck.
    81 wrote:

pjhawks surfaces after most wins and always says the same old things like in he does in the phils thread. the guy's a good coach. he is by no means great. i don't think an nfl coach can be considered great until he wins at least one championship. can you think of a "great" one who never won at least one? nothing wrong with being a good coach though. hopefully that changes in the next couple years ;)

actually not true at all Jaegs - this is the 1st time i've really commented this year after a win. thought it was appropriate being at the mid-point of the season (remember you harping on what their record would be at the mid-point?) and seeing as how other teams are completely going in the tank and how Reid's team's never go in the tank. i think it was a totally appropriate comment at the time of the season and based on what else is going on in the NFL.

Reid's career is not over - at this point in his career Cowher hadn't won one.

Great coaches not to win a Super Bowl - off the top of my head Marty Schottenheimer, Bud Grant, Mary Levy, Jeff Fisher, Buddy Ryan

Average or Bad coaches to win at least one super bowl - Barry Switzer, Brian Billick, Tom Coughlan, Tony Dungy

those names popped into my head without thinking or looking any up

and i agree he is awful on challenges - not a strength of his for sure
    Jeags, this argument doesn't hold much water because there's been some so-so coaches to win championships and are totally overblown with their "legacies". I'd take Reid over any coach in the league except for probably Belicheck.

i'm not saying you have to be a great coach to win a super bowl. i'm saying in order to be a great coach, you have to win one though. does that make any sense?

regarding the other coaches in the league--reid's consisently in the top 5 year in, year out. no doubt. i wasn't part of that discussion. the league is filled with horrific coaches right now.
    www.myspace.com

i'm not saying you have to be a great coach to win a super bowl. i'm saying in order to be a great coach, you have to win one though. does that make any sense?

regarding the other coaches in the league--reid's consisently in the top 5 year in, year out. no doubt. i wasn't part of that discussion. the league is filled with horrific coaches right now.

and don't forget his one super bowl may have been stolen by a convicted cheater.
    pjhawks wrote:

actually not true at all Jaegs - this is the 1st time i've really commented this year after a win. thought it was appropriate being at the mid-point of the season (remember you harping on what their record would be at the mid-point?) and seeing as how other teams are completely going in the tank and how Reid's team's never go in the tank. i think it was a totally appropriate comment at the time of the season and based on what else is going on in the NFL.

Reid's career is not over - at this point in his career Cowher hadn't won one.

Great coaches not to win a Super Bowl - off the top of my head Marty Schottenheimer, Bud Grant, Mary Levy, Jeff Fisher, Buddy Ryan

Average or Bad coaches to win at least one super bowl - Barry Switzer, Brian Billick, Tom Coughlan, Tony Dungy

those names popped into my head without thinking or looking any up

and i agree he is awful on challenges - not a strength of his for sure

i realize reid's career is not over. so i am judging him by what he's done up until this point. cowher was not considered great until he won it in '06. 12 years is a pretty good amount of time. i also said, in regard to reid being good not great--hopefully that changes in the next year or so. implying that hopefully we get over the hump and win one.

if you think buddy ryan was a great head coach. this conversation is over right now. do not bother posting in this thread ever again. i loved the guy and that team was amazing. but....i can't even believe you brought buddy ryan into this discussion. :lol:

the other guys though....good, not great. you can make an argument for levy simply for winning 4 afc championship games. i brought his name up earlier. you think schottenheimer and fischer are great coaches? good, maybe very good at times. i would not consider them great. this is good discussion though.

and the average or bad coach argument--see my above post to jp. that's not my point.

buddy ryan :lol::lol::lol: wow
    www.myspace.com
    i realize reid's career is not over. so i am judging him by what he's done up until this point. cowher was not considered great until he won it in '06. 12 years is a pretty good amount of time. i also said, in regard to reid being good not great--hopefully that changes in the next year or so. implying that hopefully we get over the hump and win one.

if you think buddy ryan was a great head coach. this conversation is over right now. do not bother posting in this thread ever again. i loved the guy and that team was amazing. but....i can't even believe you brought buddy ryan into this discussion. :lol:

the other guys though....good, not great. you can make an argument for levy simply for winning 4 afc championship games. i brought his name up earlier. you think schottenheimer and fischer are great coaches? good, maybe very good at times. i would not consider them great. this is good discussion though.

and the average or bad coach argument--see my above post to jp. that's not my point.

lol i put Buddy in there to get a rise out of you and anyone else. I love Buddy, still my all time favorite coach. Football was never as fun as when Buddy was around. Agree not a great coach but still damn fun.
    pjhawks wrote:

lol i put Buddy in there to get a rise out of you and anyone else. I love Buddy, still my all time favorite coach. Football was never as fun as when Buddy was around. Agree not a great coach but still damn fun.

ha--i was hoping you were kidding. i think that era of eagles football, until this current phils run, was my favorite philly sports team of all time. ....i'll even take the thump and bump sixers era over the '01 team if you can believe that.
    www.myspace.com
    birds -3 this week......must win. this is an absolute must win gentlemen. 6-3 heading into a snf showdown with the giants is essential....
    www.myspace.com
    Buddy was a great D coordinator on the Bears, but average at best as a HC.

Marty did some amazing things in Cleveland, KC and SD. The chargers made a mistake when they got rid of him. I'd take him as a head coach. all he does is win. if it wasn't for "The Drive" and "The Fumble" you might have had a mini dynasty in Cleveland. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
This discussion has been closed.