THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    That Djax hit reminded of the hit Lindros took from Scott Stevens

I had that same sick feeling in my stomach after seeing it

He's going to be out awhile...I wouldn't be shocked the rest of the year with lingering symptoms like headaches and dizziness

What is it with Philly and their Superstar players having Concussion problems ??
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    That hit on Jackson was disturbing...I thought he was dead when I first saw it. And the NFL wants to add 2 more games???

most violent hit i've ever seen. it was very disturbing on TV because it was like a car wreck in that for a second or so before it happened you could see it coming in almost slow motion. I audibly gasped seeing it. can't imagine what it felt like at the game. just brutal. i have a bad feeling he is going to be out a long while but hopefully nothing long term.

not sure what the NFL can do but the violence and hitting is almost getting out of control. I think someone is honestly going to die on the field soon as the players are just too strong and fast. not sure how every player doesn't get a concussion every week. agree 18 games is insanity.

The NFL needs to do something about these hits. Fining these guys $10K isn't sending the message. They need to start suspending these guys and fining them amounts that are really going to hit these guys hard in the wallet.

The 18 game thing is ridiculous. Can the people running the NFL be bigger hypocrites?? They are so concerned about concussion, yet want to add 2 more regular season games? I think it has become obvious this season with all of the big hits/concussions that adding any more regular season games is a terrible idea...

i think the hit was just part of football. obviously it was a penalty. but i don't think the guy intentionally meant to harm him in that way other than any other tackle. it was a heat of the moment kind of thing. but it's a violent sport. hits like that are going to happen. hopefully djack will be alright. i'm not sure what you can do about it.

i do agree with your 18 game comment though. with how careful the nfl is now with concussions, half the league's going to be sidelined at one point or another throughout the season...
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I don't get this jackson hit talk. The cb didn't leave his feet,didn't go helmet to helmet and didn't and didn't lead with his helmet. I'm an eagles fan but that was a fair no penalty hit. It was nasty brutal,ugly hit but it wasn't dirty at all. I just watched it again and I don't see how it was flagged or considererd dirty at all.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    I have been waiting 2 years for that arrogant prick to take a hit like that.

Hopefully he's alright.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Hopefully he's alright.

That's fucked up.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Hopefully he's alright.

That's fucked up.

Yeah, I know. I didn't want him to get hurt, would never wish that on a player, it's just a game. Just have been waiting to see him get drilled for a long time now.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    I don't get this jackson hit talk. The cb didn't leave his feet,didn't go helmet to helmet and didn't and didn't lead with his helmet. I'm an eagles fan but that was a fair no penalty hit. It was nasty brutal,ugly hit but it wasn't dirty at all. I just watched it again and I don't see how it was flagged or considererd dirty at all.

agree not a penalty or dirty but it was violent and scary as hell. It was flagged because they are trying to make sure vulernable receivers aren't hit like that. right or wrong allowing hits on prone receivers like that is gonig to get someone killed soon (not even taking into account the long term issues of concussions). it was sick and frankly i don't really even like looking at the reply of it. as i said earlier it was like witnessing a car wreck you see developing a few seconds before.
    The problem is these jerkoffs wear too much padding and shape themselves into missiles.
  • The problem is these jerkoffs wear too much padding and shape themselves into missiles.

Yep. The way so many of these guys are leading with their helmets is getting way out of hand. Sounds like the NFL is already doing something...just read that they are considering suspensions for some of these hits.
    The problem is these jerkoffs wear too much padding and shape themselves into missiles.

Yep. The way so many of these guys are leading with their helmets is getting way out of hand. Sounds like the NFL is already doing something...just read that they are considering suspensions for some of these hits.

Yeah, but I don't like that either. I don't get penalizing guys for playing a violent game violently. For example, how QB's and WR's get treated with penalties accommodated to their positions are probably the biggest reasons I may end up not being a fan of football at all anymore. Before you know it, the QB's will be wearing flags on their hips.

Keep the game brutal, but mandate a basic amount of equipment that's allowed on the body. If you know there's a chance you could get hurt just as badly as the guy you're hitting, there's less of a chance of flying through the air like a weapon.
    edited October 2010

Yeah, but I don't like that either. I don't get penalizing guys for playing a violent game violently. For example, how QB's and WR's get treated with penalties accommodated to their positions are probably the biggest reasons I may end up not being a fan of football at all anymore. Before you know it, the QB's will be wearing flags on their hips.

Keep the game brutal, but mandate a basic amount of equipment that's allowed on the body. If you know there's a chance you could get hurt just as badly as the guy you're hitting, there's less of a chance of flying through the air like a weapon.

weren't both guys laying on the field for like 10 minutes?

both had concussions too.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    from everything i've read, i think this makes the most sense:

For helmet-to-helmet hits, ejections should come before suspensions
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2010 5:05 PM ET
    With the NFL instantly -- and wisely -- responding to Sunday's rash of headhunting with a vow to use suspensions even for first-time offenders, we still think that the process needs to be taken one step farther.

Players need to be ejected from games after delivering a big hit.

As pointed out in this week's Monday 10-pack, the league instructed officials in 2007 to begin ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits. And yet not a single player has been ejected in the past three years.

The fines and suspensions can come later. The most immediate way to take control of a game in which players begin using their helmets as weapons will be to send the offending player to the showers -- and to put the other 89 players on notice that they could be next.

The approach creates a real challenge for game officials, who already have their hands full without having to filter out in real time the bang-bang moments (as coaches like Andy Reid of the Eagles calls them) involving possible helmet-to-helmet hits and/or helmet-first launches.

So here's our next suggestion. Empower the replay official to buzz down to the referee and alert him to the fact that a hit has occurred that compels ejection or, at a minimum, a closer look at the video of the hit before making a final decision.

Or why not take it a step farther and assign for each game a "safety official" who has one job -- scan the game and replays for evidence of illegal hits? Though the protocol for penalties and replay reviews creates a sense that all decisions must be made before the next snap, why require such immediacy when it comes to the question of whether a player unreasonably has endangered the safety of another player? Though fans may bristle at the notice of a guy getting a dance-contest style tap on the shoulder several minutes or longer after doing his version of the brainscrambler, the question of whether a guy needs to be ejected shouldn't have to be made in 40 seconds.

Why not also loop in the league office? I've seen the room from which 280 Park Avenue monitors the games, with one person studying each and every contest and V.P. of officiating Carl Johnson supervising the operation. It shouldn't be difficult to create a process that would permit illegal hits to be quickly and efficiently reviewed for a potential ejection.

And even if it's difficult, the league should still do it.
    www.myspace.com
    I am not terribly familiar with the NFLs steroid testing but how about making sure none of these guys are on ANYTHING. You are out of your mind if you think there is not a major problem in the NFL. People are just not that big and fast.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am not terribly familiar with the NFLs steroid testing but how about making sure none of these guys are on ANYTHING. You are out of your mind if you think there is not a major problem in the NFL. People are just not that big and fast.

dunta robinson, the guy who concussed both himself and jackson, is 5 '10 and weighs 185 pounds.

but yeah, obviously a lot of pro players are on something and have been for decades. i don't think that's the crux of this issue though.
    www.myspace.com
    I have not read through all of this and it is a pain in the ass so of this has been mentioned apologies but isn't the problem less with the huge hits an more with the constant hits and hitting of heads. Seems like all of the health issues stem more from the quantity of hits and less with the power. I am not sure how you address this but from my understanding most of the long term health problems are not from the one or two monster hits but more just the general physicality of the NFL game.
    I am not saying just one instance but people are not naturally that big or fast and don't you think that much power puts the health on players on the line? The NFL should have the tightest testing policy of any sport because using these drugs is not only cheating but endangering other players. It's a 4 game penalty for first offense now, right. That is not enough
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    jeags was i wrong about kevin kolb? is he really, actually a good qb? i can't believe it god damn it....at least i was right that the cowboys suck (i hate being right sometimes).
    RW81233 wrote:
    jeags was i wrong about kevin kolb? is he really, actually a good qb? i can't believe it god damn it....at least i was right that the cowboys suck (i hate being right sometimes).

so many weapons--hard not to look decent so long as the line protects him which they somehow did sunday...
    www.myspace.com
    RW81233 wrote:

Why are you so quick to label him good or bad ? Who knows if he's good ? The dude has had 4 starts and only played 3 and half games. Nobody knows at this point if he is good or not :roll:

Cowboys do suck though :lol:

RW81233 wrote:

Why are you so quick to label him good or bad ? Who knows if he's good ? The dude has had 4 starts and only played 3 and half games. Nobody knows at this point if he is good or not :roll:

Cowboys do suck though :lol:

Because this dude has no gauge on football or any other sport I've seen him talk about.
    congrats to the kolber....

Kolb named NFC Offensive Player of the Week
    Quarterback Kevin Kolb was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Eagles' 31-17 victory over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday.

Kolb, filling in for the injured Michael Vick, completed 23 of 29 passes for 326 yards and three touchdowns. It's the second time in five career starts that Kolb has won the award. He was also honored last season after the Kansas City game.

Kolb is expected to start for the third straight week when the Eagles visit the 4-2 Tennessee Titans on Sunday. Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday that "there's a pretty good chance Kevin is the guy." Vick, during an appearance on a Virginia Beach radio station Monday, said that he wouldn't be able to return from his rib injury until after an Oct. 31 bye The Eagles then host the Colts on Nov. 7.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, however, said Wednesday during a conference call with Philadelphia reporters that he is preparing for both Kolb or Vick to play.

Tennessee has quarterback issues, as well, after starter Vince Young injured his knee and ankle in a Monday night win over Jacksonville. Fisher said there's a "pretty good" chance Young will be able go against the Eagles. The quarterback won't practice in Wednesday's light workout -- Kerry Collins will take his place -- but Fisher said not practicing shouldn't preclude Young from starting Sunday.
    www.myspace.com

Quarterback Kevin Kolb was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Eagles' 31-17 victory over the Atlanta Falcons Sunday.

Kolb, filling in for the injured Michael Vick, completed 23 of 29 passes for 326 yards and three touchdowns. It's the second time in five career starts that Kolb has won the award. He was also honored last season after the Kansas City game.

Kolb is expected to start for the third straight week when the Eagles visit the 4-2 Tennessee Titans on Sunday. Eagles coach Andy Reid said Monday that "there's a pretty good chance Kevin is the guy." Vick, during an appearance on a Virginia Beach radio station Monday, said that he wouldn't be able to return from his rib injury until after an Oct. 31 bye The Eagles then host the Colts on Nov. 7.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, however, said Wednesday during a conference call with Philadelphia reporters that he is preparing for both Kolb or Vick to play.

Tennessee has quarterback issues, as well, after starter Vince Young injured his knee and ankle in a Monday night win over Jacksonville. Fisher said there's a "pretty good" chance Young will be able go against the Eagles. The quarterback won't practice in Wednesday's light workout -- Kerry Collins will take his place -- but Fisher said not practicing shouldn't preclude Young from starting Sunday.

Good for him

Does this make him good ? ;)

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have not read through all of this and it is a pain in the ass so of this has been mentioned apologies but isn't the problem less with the huge hits an more with the constant hits and hitting of heads. Seems like all of the health issues stem more from the quantity of hits and less with the power. I am not sure how you address this but from my understanding most of the long term health problems are not from the one or two monster hits but more just the general physicality of the NFL game.

it's football, dudes are gonna get hurt. ronnie lott used to knock himself out all the time when he laid someone out.

society overreacts to stuff...it's football, there are gonna be injuries. to suspend guys for making tackles is absurd. at this rate come 2020 the NFL is gonna be a flag football league

roger goodell is the new gary bettman...ruining the sport
    edited October 2010

Good for him

Does this make him good ? ;)

shows that he can be good, if given a legitamate shot to succeed without a stupid wildcat lurking over his shoulder. ;) i still think once both are healthy reid has to pick one guy and stick with him.

by the way---this game on sunday is pretty huge. i thought we could get to 9 or 10 wins before the season if they win some games early and hope that momentum would carry over to the tougher second half. they're about right where i thought they'd be right now. titans are tough. that defense is crazy nasty. but they are coming off a short week......should be interesting....
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it's football, dudes are gonna get hurt. ronnie lott used to knock himself out all the time when he laid someone out.

society overreacts to stuff...it's football, there are gonna be injuries. to suspend guys for making tackles is absurd. at this rate come 2020 the NFL is gonna be a flag football league

roger goodell is the new gary bettman...ruining the sport

agreed. helmet to helmet is one thing...but i didn't have much of an issue with d jack's hit.

doug collins missed the sixers preseason game last night due to symptoms of a concussion that occured on....memorial day :shock:
    www.myspace.com
    I agree that is is a rough game and people are going to get hurt, badly hurt. But the problem is with health problems down the line, people going crazy, having limbs amputated, just awful health issues in general and dying early. The article in SI a couple years ago did a great job showing these problems and the lack of health insurance these players are given by the NFL. Most of these guys are not making crazy money either and are basically dead broke. That is a big problem. I don't really know if there is a solution, as I mentioned most of these issues are not because of gigantic hits, just the quantity of hits, but it is a pretty sad situation. I will try and dig up the SI article.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I agree that is is a rough game and people are going to get hurt, badly hurt. But the problem is with health problems down the line, people going crazy, having limbs amputated, just awful health issues in general and dying early. The article in SI a couple years ago did a great job showing these problems and the lack of health insurance these players are given by the NFL. Most of these guys are not making crazy money either and are basically dead broke. That is a big problem. I don't really know if there is a solution, as I mentioned most of these issues are not because of gigantic hits, just the quantity of hits, but it is a pretty sad situation. I will try and dig up the SI article.

yeah, I know the article you're talking about. I agree that it is a problem. Taking hits out of the game isn't the solution though. The NFL needs to offer some type of post-career health system for the players. Andre Waters killed himself because his brain was hollowed out from concussions. sad shit.

do you still get SI? I'm looking forward to reading this week's cover story
    alright birds fans........go time. big game before the bye. season gets much tougher in a couple weeks. stealing a victory today vs a team coming off a short week and with a backup qb will be huge for the stretch run....

GO.
    BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
    This is absolutely embarrassing

Between the total collapse...the penalties....and giving up the most yds by a receiver in Eagles history

Hobbs should not be allowed on the plane he should have to drive back

i think that's kolb's 5th pick-6 of his young career.... :roll:

gotta be able to put a game like this away. young team. this is what young team's do unfortunately.

skins and birds both 4-3 heading into our bye weekend. so far this season, record-wise, is playing out just as i thought it would. 2nd half is going to be extremely tough. that is why this one is a big loss.

expect vick to be behind center in 2 weeks...

what a rough weekend here in philly.......wow
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.