THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:
    they traded the greatest qb in franchise history

not being an Eagles fan so pardon me a bit. but the first thing that popped into my head was Randall Cunningham. I always enjoyed watching him. than i went and dug up his stats. a few really good seasons, 30td's one year, but nothing great.

then of course, there is Norm Van Brocklin and his championship.

randall cunningham wasn't one-third the QB Donovan McNabb was and still is. Saw every game each played as Eagles and it's not really all that close.

agreed. Randall's stats are a bit underwhelming. one really good season and a several solid seasons, but nothing to put him at the top of the list.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    putting Kolb in with this offensive line though could have been disasterous for his development. let the offensive line settle in for a bit then put Kolb back in there. Kolb will get another chance this season - it is almost inevitable in the NFL. No reason to jump to conclusions that Kolb is gone and Vick will be the starter for 3-4 years. Things can change rapidly in the NFL with injuries and/or poor play. Again Kolb will get another chance and I'd be willing to bet he even gets at least one more start this year. The media and fans neet to take a deep breath and realize it's still september - teams have a way of evolving and changing over the season. the team you have in september is not necessarily the team you will field in december.

ladies and gentlemen....dave spadaro. you have a nice way of making a post that doesn't commit yourself to one point or the other. :lol: good god man.

i told you guys kolb looked awful in the preseason and it continued into week 1. but reid clearly didnt do him any favors. obviously if vick gets hurt, kolb's going back in (if he doesn't get traded). but to continue to have a revolving door at this position during a season in which kolb was supposed to be the guy is not helping anyone. how good was troy aikman's line in 1989? we sacked him 11 times in one game back then and he had multiple concussions throughout his career. he turned out okay. reid realizes kolb can't play. and with our brutal schedule down the stretch (another reason why you should look at the schedule), i don't see them going back to him if vick struggles. you need continuity at this position.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks wrote:
    putting Kolb in with this offensive line though could have been disasterous for his development. let the offensive line settle in for a bit then put Kolb back in there. Kolb will get another chance this season - it is almost inevitable in the NFL. No reason to jump to conclusions that Kolb is gone and Vick will be the starter for 3-4 years. Things can change rapidly in the NFL with injuries and/or poor play. Again Kolb will get another chance and I'd be willing to bet he even gets at least one more start this year. The media and fans neet to take a deep breath and realize it's still september - teams have a way of evolving and changing over the season. the team you have in september is not necessarily the team you will field in december.

ladies and gentlemen....dave spadaro. you have a nice way of making a post that doesn't commit yourself to one point or the other. :lol: good god man.

i told you guys kolb looked awful in the preseason and it continued into week 1. but reid clearly didnt do him any favors. obviously if vick gets hurt, kolb's going back in (if he doesn't get traded). but to continue to have a revolving door at this position during a season in which kolb was supposed to be the guy is not helping anyone. how good was troy aikman's line in 1989? we sacked him 11 times in one game back then and he had multiple concussions throughout his career. he turned out okay. reid realizes kolb can't play. and with our brutal schedule down the stretch (another reason why you should look at the schedule), i don't see them going back to him if vick struggles. you need continuity at this position.

why do I have to commit to anything? it's about winning the game this week and vick gives the Eagles a better chance to win this week. how can you commit to week 15 or 16 when you have no idea how it is going to play out? Too many variables go into play in the NFL to worry about 10 weeks down the line. Win the next game and move on. Later in the season Kolb might give this team a better chance.

And the difference Jaegs is that Cowboys teams were a 1-15 team. this Eagles team is a possible playoff team and if you make the playoffs you got a shot. when you have a chance to make the playoffs you have to take it. Even if you think this team has little shot of winning a Super Bowl (which i would agree to at this time but see above about week to week in the NFL). Getting into the playoffs and losing is still better on all fronts than not. Beat Jacksonville move to 2-1 and worry about next week next week. it's a cliche for sure but it's true, one game one week at a time.

i think the media and fans of this team have a tendency to overreact to everything and this is the case here. it's week 3 of the season people. relax take a deep breath and let the weeks play themselves out before calling an end to Kevin Kolb era. it's not over by a long shot.
    pjhawks wrote:

why do I have to commit to anything? it's about winning the game this week and vick gives the Eagles a better chance to win this week. how can you commit to week 15 or 16 when you have no idea how it is going to play out? Too many variables go into play in the NFL to worry about 10 weeks down the line. Win the next game and move on. Later in the season Kolb might give this team a better chance.

And the difference Jaegs is that Cowboys teams were a 1-15 team. this Eagles team is a possible playoff team and if you make the playoffs you got a shot. when you have a chance to make the playoffs you have to take it. Even if you think this team has little shot of winning a Super Bowl (which i would agree to at this time but see above about week to week in the NFL). Getting into the playoffs and losing is still better on all fronts than not. Beat Jacksonville move to 2-1 and worry about next week next week. it's a cliche for sure but it's true, one game one week at a time.

i think the media and fans of this team have a tendency to overreact to everything and this is the case here. it's week 3 of the season people. relax take a deep breath and let the weeks play themselves out before calling an end to Kevin Kolb era. it's not over by a long shot.

wishy washy personified.

"later in the season kolb might give this team a better chance."

name me one nfl team that has succesfully operated with 2 starting quarterbacks. if kolb is back under center, it will be because vick is injured and/or the season is an abject failure at that point. either way---both scenarios are not good.

its not that i am just asking you to commit to something (even though reid has commited to vick as his starting qb for the season not just this week). i'm just asking you what you think will/should happen from this point forward. but if you can't make an opinion beyond one of the worst teams in the league next week, then i guess this is moo point. kafka can beat the jags. this week is not the point.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

wishy washy personified.

"later in the season kolb might give this team a better chance."

name me one nfl team that has succesfully operated with 2 starting quarterbacks. if kolb is back under center, it will be because vick is injured and/or the season is an abject failure at that point. either way---both scenarios are not good.

its not that i am just asking you to commit to something (even though reid has commited to vick as his starting qb for the season not just this week). i'm just asking you what you think will/should happen from this point forward. but if you can't make an opinion beyond one of the worst teams in the league next week, then i guess this is moo point. kafka can beat the jags. this week is not the point.

how can i tell you what SHOULD happen the rest of the season when it's impossible to know that at this time. did you not read me saying it's a week to week thing? right now Vick should start this week. I hate the guy but he is the better option right now for this team.

What do I think will happen - I am 90% positive Kevin Kolb will start again at some point this season whether due to injury (most likely scenario since very few NFL QBs start all 16 games in a season) or poor play by Vick. Odds of the above I'd say 75-25 he gets back in due to injury to Vick as opposed to poor play.

remember last year at the turn Jaegs the Giants were 7-1 and they didn't make the playoffs and everyone around Philly was calling for Reid's head than. The point I'm trying to make by bringing that up is the point I tried to make above - its a LOOONNG season and things can change dramatically even during one season. Did you really think the Saints were a Super Bowl winning team this time last year? Did you think the Arizona Cardinals were a Super Bowl team 2 years ago after 2 weeks? Let's just relax and not overreact to something happening in week 2 and 3 of the season.

and i still stand by my pre-season prediction of 10-6.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    i havend't missed the point. andy reid's missed the point. i would have stuck with kolb. he was given the shortest leash in the history of the national football league (and leashes for that matter). i am just trying to rationalize your boy's decision for you.

but it is what it is. you're right. the nfc looks wide open again this year. i disagree with vick not being a possible long term option though. reid is convinced he can turn him into a better quarterback. if he plays well this year, he's gonna be here for the foreseeable future. people are just going to have to come to terms with that.

the question is do you think Michael Vick gives this team a better chance to win this week? If so then you can rationalize the decision. The NFL is a week-to-week thing and you have to worry about the week at hand. win this week, worry about next week next week.

This is where I disagree. This team isn't good enough to contend in 2010 (in case people have forgotten shaun fucking hill just dropped 30+ on the defense last week...and the special teams and offensive lines have been atrocious). 2010 shouldn't be about wins and losses, it should be about building a foundation for 2011 and beyond. Vick is not a long term solution.

That's all I'm saying. This shit makes no sense to me.
    edited September 2010

name me one nfl team that has succesfully operated with 2 starting quarterbacks.

San Francisco in the late 80's. Two hall of fame QB's on that roster. :mrgreen: Joe would start the season, go down with injury. In came Steve Young. Joe would get healthy and come back and win the superbowl.

1971 Cowboys is anouther interesting study in dual Qb's. Morton started teh season, then mid season, Morton and Staubach rotated every play, with Staubach finally taking over.

that's two examples. i'd like my cookie now.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    i havend't missed the point. andy reid's missed the point. i would have stuck with kolb. he was given the shortest leash in the history of the national football league (and leashes for that matter). i am just trying to rationalize your boy's decision for you.

but it is what it is. you're right. the nfc looks wide open again this year. i disagree with vick not being a possible long term option though. reid is convinced he can turn him into a better quarterback. if he plays well this year, he's gonna be here for the foreseeable future. people are just going to have to come to terms with that.

the question is do you think Michael Vick gives this team a better chance to win this week? If so then you can rationalize the decision. The NFL is a week-to-week thing and you have to worry about the week at hand. win this week, worry about next week next week.

This is where I disagree. This team isn't good enough to contend in 2010 (in case people have forgotten shaun fucking hill just dropped 30+ on the defense last week...and the special teams and offensive lines have been atrocious). 2010 shouldn't be about wins and losses, it should be about building a foundation for 2011 and beyond. Vick is not a long term solution.

Its funny we couldn't disagree more about baseball but we agree 100 about football. Take your lumps this year and at least see if kolb is the guy. Vick isn't the answer long term period,he's a good runner avg at best passer. Kolb was drafted and groomed and now that pick is looking really bad.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Its funny we couldn't disagree more about baseball but we agree 100 about football. Take your lumps this year and at least see if kolb is the guy. Vick isn't the answer long term period,he's a good runner avg at best passer. Kolb was drafted and groomed and now that pick is looking really bad.

nice to be on the same side for once.

this team is like a soap opera. not good times
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

just because Shaun Hill dropped 30+ on this defense in week 2 doesn't mean that in week 15 this might not be a hell of alot better. and if you can make the playoffs and build a foundation that is much better than not making the playoffs and building a foundation. If you can get players like Jackson, Maclin, etc. more playoff experience isn't that exponentially better than not? Very few of these players have won a playoff game as a starter so you do what you can to make the playoffs today. not sure i understand the theory of let's be average or below for the sake of the future - winning this weeks game will help this team get closer to the playoffs this year. making the playoffs can't be a bad thing right?

and besides there is about a 99% chance there won't even be a season next year
    pjhawks wrote:
    making the playoffs can't be a bad thing right?

that all depends on what your expectations are as a fan. personally, a 10-6 team that squeaks into the playoffs to lose in round 1 isn't what I want. We had that last year with mcnabb. THey traded him to groom kolb as the guy to lead this team into the next decade. Is he the guy? No one knows at this point. 2010 should be about answering that question. If he's not, they go 5-11 and get a top 10 pick. There are some really good college QBs coming out this year (Luck, Locker, Mallet). Would have been nice to know what we've got going forward. Vick isnt the answer, we already know that.
  • Ellis Hobbs is a bum
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    81 wrote:

name me one nfl team that has succesfully operated with 2 starting quarterbacks.

San Francisco in the late 80's. Two hall of fame QB's on that roster. :mrgreen: Joe would start the season, go down with injury. In came Steve Young. Joe would get healthy and come back and win the superbowl.

1971 Cowboys is anouther interesting study in dual Qb's. Morton started teh season, then mid season, Morton and Staubach rotated every play, with Staubach finally taking over.

Don't forget the NY Giants Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler, Redskins Mark Rypian and Doug Williams (isn't rypian who williams took over for?). Maybe even go as far as saying Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady since Brady only took over because Bledsoe got hurt and Bledsoe did come back.
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

Don't forget the NY Giants Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler, Redskins Mark Rypian and Doug Williams (isn't rypian who williams took over for?). Maybe even go as far as saying Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady since Brady only took over because Bledsoe got hurt and Bledsoe did come back.

forgot about those. he only wanted one, so i stopped thinking after two. Redskins won three titles in a short span with 3 different qb's.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

williams took over for jay schroeder.

I think jeags point was 2 functioning QBs at the same time, sharing snaps. not a starter and a backup

he's right, it doesn't work
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:

williams took over for jay schroeder.

I think jeags point was 2 functioning QBs at the same time, sharing snaps. not a starter and a backup

he's right, it doesn't work

yeah...pj hawks was saying he thinks vick will give us the better chance of beating the jags (mind you they are an atrocious football team :lol: ) this week but down the road kolb might be a better matchup verses another team.

"Win the next game and move on. Later in the season Kolb might give this team a better chance."

if that is what he really means, he just don't understand football. injuries happen. but nfl coaches don't look at the schedule and think one qb would fair better one week and then go with the other quarterback the next week. doesn't work that way. that's why....it never, ever, ever, ever, ever happens.

rightly or wrongly, vick is our qb whether people like it or not.
    www.myspace.com
    i agree, you don't flip flop qb's like that on a week to week basis based on match ups.

one job, one guy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i agree, you don't flip flop qb's like that on a week to week basis based on match ups.

one job, one guy

this guy knows what i'm talking about :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    Eagles taking calls for Kolb?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

indeed. cleveland, as i suspected earlier:

Report: Browns called Eagles last night about Kolb
    Posted by Mike Florio on September 22, 2010 12:51 PM ET
    Those in the Philly front office who believed in quarterback Kevin Kolb included the team's General Manager.

Tom Heckert is now the G.M. of the Browns. And Anthony Gargano of WIP in Philly reports that Heckert's Browns already have called about a possible trade for Kolb.

Specifically, the call was placed last night, and the Browns were told that Kolb isn't available.

But maybe he could be. Coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that that he can't predict whether Kolb will be on the roster past the trade deadline. And that means that maybe Kolb will be traded between now and October 19.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Those in the Philly front office who believed in quarterback Kevin Kolb included the team's General Manager.

Tom Heckert is now the G.M. of the Browns. And Anthony Gargano of WIP in Philly reports that Heckert's Browns already have called about a possible trade for Kolb.

Specifically, the call was placed last night, and the Browns were told that Kolb isn't available.

But maybe he could be. Coach Andy Reid said Wednesday that that he can't predict whether Kolb will be on the roster past the trade deadline. And that means that maybe Kolb will be traded between now and October 19.

Trading him would make no sense, right? Isn't he why they got rid of McNabb?
    edited September 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Trading him would make no sense, right? Isn't he why they got rid of McNabb?

the organization has apparently lost their collective mind.

vick's is the qb for the present and future now.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com

the organization has apparently lost their collective mind.

vick's apparently the qb for the present and future now.

That is some strange shit if you ask me.
    Reid: Vick to start for year; no guarantee Kolb will be on team after trade deadline
    Michael Vick said he was "humbled" to learn he had been named the Eagles starter, completing a long journey from public pariah to face of the team. It's a move that seems set for the rest of the year: head coach Andy Reid said Vick is the starter for the remainder of the year.
    Vick said even he was "sort of" surprised by his own performance in his six quarters this season.

"I know what I can do, but until you get out there and you actually do it, you really don't know if you're going to make the plays that you know you're capable of making," Vick told reporters before his first practice as the team's starting quarterback.

Vick said there were days he never thought he would play again the NFL. Now, he said he has to play hard and reward his coaches' faith in him.

It's unclear what Vick's long-term future will be though. Reid would not answer a question about whether the team will look to extend the quarterback's contract. He is in the final year of his deal with the Eagles.

Reid also would not guarantee that Kevin Kolb will remain with the team after the Oct. 19 trade deadline, despite touting Kolb's "bright future" in the NFL.

"I can’t predict anything down that far, nobody in this league can do that, that’s ridiculous," Reid said. "The future, we’ll just have to see."

Reid, however, said he wants Kolb on the Eagles.

"This is not about Kevin Kolb, this is about Michael Vick. Kevin Kolb has got a bright, bright future. I mean bright future ... but Michael Vick I think surprised all of us with his play."

Several players were asked about the change, they all stuck to the company line: they will support whatever their coaches decide.

Reid conceded that Kolb would not have lost his job had he not suffered a concussion against the Packers.

He said no one else pressed him to make the switch.

"I didn't talk to a player, I didn't talk to a coach, I talked to one guy for two days about this," Reid said -- referring to Kolb. "Whatever anyone else says about this, is not right."

Kolb took the high road when asked about the switch.

"The NFL is a tough spot and you have to compete every day. I understand that and I understand that Mike's a great player and he's playing great. Again, I want to be out there, and the hardest thing is, you want to go battle with your guys. We spent a lot of time together and I want out there and fighting every down with them," he said.

He would not answer when asked if he lost his job because he got hurt, but said he was surprised by the decision. Asked if Reid made the right choice, Kolb said, "he feels that way and he's the head coach."
    www.myspace.com
    Reid: Vick to start for year; no guarantee Kolb will be on team after trade deadline
    Michael Vick said he was "humbled" to learn he had been named the Eagles starter, completing a long journey from public pariah to face of the team. It's a move that seems set for the rest of the year: head coach Andy Reid said Vick is the starter for the remainder of the year.
    Vick said even he was "sort of" surprised by his own performance in his six quarters this season.

"I know what I can do, but until you get out there and you actually do it, you really don't know if you're going to make the plays that you know you're capable of making," Vick told reporters before his first practice as the team's starting quarterback.

Vick said there were days he never thought he would play again the NFL. Now, he said he has to play hard and reward his coaches' faith in him.

It's unclear what Vick's long-term future will be though. Reid would not answer a question about whether the team will look to extend the quarterback's contract. He is in the final year of his deal with the Eagles.

Reid also would not guarantee that Kevin Kolb will remain with the team after the Oct. 19 trade deadline, despite touting Kolb's "bright future" in the NFL.

"I can’t predict anything down that far, nobody in this league can do that, that’s ridiculous," Reid said. "The future, we’ll just have to see."

"This is not about Kevin Kolb, this is about Michael Vick. Kevin Kolb has got a bright, bright future. I mean bright future ... but Michael Vick I think surprised all of us with his play."

Several players were asked about the change, they all stuck to the company line: they will support whatever their coaches decide.

Reid conceded that Kolb would not have lost his job had he not suffered a concussion against the Packers.

"I didn't talk to a player, I didn't talk to a coach, I talked to one guy for two days about this," Reid said -- referring to Kolb. "Whatever anyone else says about this, is not right."

"The NFL is a tough spot and you have to compete every day. I understand that and I understand that Mike's a great player and he's playing great. Again, I want to be out there, and the hardest thing is, you want to go battle with your guys. We spent a lot of time together and I want out there and fighting every down with them," he said.

He would not answer when asked if he lost his job because he got hurt, but said he was surprised by the decision. Asked if Reid made the right choice, Kolb said, "he feels that way and he's the head coach."

So Vick is not going to take the Eagle anywhere and the Eagles have no future QB? Should be a fun next 5 years or so.
    edited September 2010
    yeah...pj hawks was saying he thinks vick will give us the better chance of beating the jags (mind you they are an atrocious football team :lol: ) this week but down the road kolb might be a better matchup verses another team.

"Win the next game and move on. Later in the season Kolb might give this team a better chance."

if that is what he really means, he just don't understand football. injuries happen. but nfl coaches don't look at the schedule and think one qb would fair better one week and then go with the other quarterback the next week. doesn't work that way. that's why....it never, ever, ever, ever, ever happens.

rightly or wrongly, vick is our qb whether people like it or not.

you must be taking lessons from The Fixer as you are twisting my words. at no point did i say it would definitely be revolving Quarterbacks. Right now Vick is the hot hand so you stay with him until he cools off or gets hurt. not a difficult concept.

and you are right NFL coaches don't look at schedules (but you do since you were so adament about looking at the schedule when making pre-season predictions) which is the EXACT REASON why Vick is currently starting - Vick is better TODAY for this team than Kolb. Not really hard to understand.

again i just can't comprehend why playing the best person TODAY for the job is such a complicated and controversial decision (other than many people don't want vick because he is a scumbag which i relate to). What is good for today might not be good 5 or 10 weeks down the line. Vick is playing well right now, Kolk coming off a severe concussion Vick is the better option right now. Later in the season if Vick struggles no reason why Kolb can't be the man again. why is this hard to understand guys?

edit: and take what Reid says to the media with a grain of salt - two days ago Kolb was his starting QB and now Vick is his starter for the rest of the season. means didly squat what he tells the media. if Vick sucks you can guarantee Kolb will be back in there.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

So Vick is not going to take the Eagle anywhere and the Eagles have no future QB? Should be a fun next 5 years or so.

reid believes he can turn vick into the next steve young. i'd be shocked if he's not here for 3 or 4 more years.
    www.myspace.com
    reid believes he can turn vick into the next steve young. i'd be shocked if he's not here for 3 or 4 more years.

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Edit: Are you happy about this? Does not seem like a very good idea to me but I also don't follow the Eagles all that much.
    drama lama is going to rear it's ugly head in philly.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Edit: Are you happy about this? Does not seem like a very good idea to me but I also don't follow the Eagles all that much.

I'm one of the biggest andy reid supporters in philly, but I have no clue what he is thinking. I liked all the moves they made leading up to the season. NOt sure what they are doing now that the season has started.

PJhawks, I was just gonna post the same thing regarding what reid says in the media. People should know that by now, the dude has been saying one thing and doing the opposite for 10 years.

I don't know how any sane eagles fan (they are few and far between) can be happy that vick is the starter.
This discussion has been closed.