THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

kolb would have been sacked a minimum of 10 times sunday. maybe andy is just trying to not get him killed. :lol:

doesn't matter. gotta let the dude play. aikman, eli, peyton all took their lumps when they were first starting in the NFL.

I just don't get the rationale behind this decision at all. I'm so confused. If they were gonna give the job to vick they should have just kept mcnabb.

While I like Vick better than Kolb (and while I agree with The Jeagler about Kolb getting sacked repeatedly), I think Kolb deserved his chance--because he certainly didn't get it during the first game. Who knows--maybe good ol' Andy just wants to shake things up a little!

so you're saying kolb had his chance, even though it was only one half of football? he looked pretty damned good last year in the 2 games he played.

I love how vick lights up the worst team in football and eagles fans think he's good.
    if we end up winning 7 or 8 games with vick starting (mind you, most thought we'd have won that same amount with kolb)...after all the nonsense andy has brought upon this team over the last year.....how does he not get fired?

his job is on the line right now. this team better somehow find a way to contend this year.

regardless of their QB, they were not gonna be good enough to contend this year. That's why this move is so perplexing. This season should be all about letting the young guys play together and building a foundation for the future. Wins are secondary for 2010.

Inserting vick into this scenario is like pounding a round peg into a square hole. I really don't understand it.

As for Reid...I completely disagree with this decision (and his decision to sign vick in the first place), but I don't think his job is on the line yet. The team isn't ready to contend. That being said, I have no clue what the fuck he's planning for the future. If vick is the QB in 2011 he should be canned. Vick will never win a SB. Like I said, I'd much rather have mcnabb than vick.

this is so frustrating. I think andy reid is on the same drugs as his sons
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    doesn't matter. gotta let the dude play. aikman, eli, peyton all took their lumps when they were first starting in the NFL.

I just don't get the rationale behind this decision at all. I'm so confused. If they were gonna give the job to vick they should have just kept mcnabb.

While I like Vick better than Kolb (and while I agree with The Jeagler about Kolb getting sacked repeatedly), I think Kolb deserved his chance--because he certainly didn't get it during the first game. Who knows--maybe good ol' Andy just wants to shake things up a little!

so you're saying kolb had his chance, even though it was only one half of football? he looked pretty damned good last year in the 2 games he played.

I love how vick lights up the worst team in football and eagles fans think he's good.

no, no...you misunderstood me. I'm saying that Kolb DIDN'T get a chance in that first game, and that he deserved to start in the next one. I don't think Vick should have been named started right now. I just like his offense better.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I love how vick lights up the worst team in football and andy reid think he's good.

fixed.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    if we end up winning 7 or 8 games with vick starting (mind you, most thought we'd have won that same amount with kolb)...after all the nonsense andy has brought upon this team over the last year.....how does he not get fired?

his job is on the line right now. this team better somehow find a way to contend this year.

regardless of their QB, they were not gonna be good enough to contend this year. That's why this move is so perplexing. This season should be all about letting the young guys play together and building a foundation for the future. Wins are secondary for 2010.

Inserting vick into this scenario is like pounding a round peg into a square hole. I really don't understand it.

As for Reid...I completely disagree with this decision (and his decision to sign vick in the first place), but I don't think his job is on the line yet. The team isn't ready to contend. That being said, I have no clue what the fuck he's planning for the future. If vick is the QB in 2011 he should be canned. Vick will never win a SB. Like I said, I'd much rather have mcnabb than vick.

g cobb pretty much predicted this earlier today. great article on how reid thinks he mold vick into a steve young type of qb:
    http://www.gcobb.com/2010/09/21/nfl-sou ... hael-vick/

i'm pretty torn over this right now.

you obviously have a completely different viewpoint on this season than your boy does. reid clearly thinks they can contend and he thinks vick gives them a better chance of doing so. (thats why i think his job is on the line---if they dont make the playoffs, he wasted a season of development on the qb he annointed the started and gave $12,000,000 to---not to mention trading the face of the franchise in favor of :roll: ). i think he envisions signing vick to an extension....if he plays well i wouldnt be surprised if they do it during the season actually. who knows, he may be right. i at least give andy credit for admitting a mistake so quickly. he is usually so stuborn it takes years to undo his bad decisions.....that said--kolb got the biggest shaft in the history of shafts today. you gotta feel bad. reid gave him absolutely no chance of succeeding.

hate when people say so and so will never win a super bowl or a championship. its a lazy argument. way too many variables involved.

one thing you never accuse the eagles of being is boring....though this kind of makes the donovan bowl a litle anticlimatic. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

I love how vick lights up the worst team in football and andy reid think he's good.

fixed.[/quote]

nice.

philly fans too though. there was a poll on DNL the other day and over 70% of fans want vick to start. clueless
    edited September 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

g cobb pretty much predicted this earlier today. great article on how reid thinks he mold vick into a steve young type of qb:
    http://www.gcobb.com/2010/09/21/nfl-sou ... hael-vick/

i'm pretty torn over this right now.

you obviously have a completely different viewpoint on this season than your boy does. reid clearly thinks they can contend and he thinks vick gives them a better chance of doing so. (thats why i think his job is on the line---if they dont make the playoffs, he wasted a season of development on the qb he annointed the started and gave $12,000,000 to---not to mention trading the face of the franchise in favor of :roll: ). i think he envisions signing vick to an extension....if he plays well i wouldnt be surprised if they do it during the season actually. who knows, he may be right. i at least give andy credit for admitting a mistake so quickly. he is usually so stuborn it takes years to undo his bad decisions.....that said--kolb got the biggest shaft in the history of shafts today. you gotta feel bad. reid gave him absolutely no chance of succeeding.

hate when people say so and so will never win a super bowl or a championship. its a lazy argument. way too many variables involved.

one thing you never accuse the eagles of being is boring....though this kind of makes the donovan bowl a litle anticlimatic. :lol:

I'm so shaken up I don't even know how to respond. I feel like cameron in ferris buehler's day off when he realized the mileage in his dad's car was off.

2 things

1 - I still don't see the upside in annointing vick the QB

2 - I need to find a way to root for the eagles, but against vick. that's gonna be tough

Also, I will never read a gcobb article. ever.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

fixed.

nice.

philly fans too though. there was a poll on DNL the other day and over 70% of fans want vick to start. clueless[/quote]

everyone but you is clueless apparently.

vegas included. i'd be surprised if the line doesn't move up to 4 or 4.5 or so by the end of the week.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    I hate Vick and think he is a scumbag as much as the next guy, but the bottom line is he probably does give this team a better chance of winning right now than Kolb. the fact is the offensive line hasn't looked good, and putting Vick's mobility in play is better for this team today that Kolb. I don't see it as an indictment of Kolb or a long term solution - it's about winning now. also putting a young QB into a situation with a bad o-line could be a disaster for his development.

I agree with the Fixer on one thing - how can i find a way to cheer for the Eagles but not Vick?
    pjhawks wrote:
    I hate Vick and think he is a scumbag as much as the next guy, but the bottom line is he probably does give this team a better chance of winning right now than Kolb. the fact is the offensive line hasn't looked good, and putting Vick's mobility in play is better for this team today that Kolb. I don't see it as an indictment of Kolb or a long term solution - it's about winning now. also putting a young QB into a situation with a bad o-line could be a disaster for his development.

I agree with the Fixer on one thing - how can i find a way to cheer for the Eagles but not Vick?

kolb's done dude. reid completely screwed him. he'll be elsewhere next year most likely. how can he trust reid at this point anyway? my guess is vick is signed long term by end of season.

GO. BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

nice.

philly fans too though. there was a poll on DNL the other day and over 70% of fans want vick to start. clueless

vegas included. i'd be surprised if the line doesn't move up to 4 or 4.5 or so by the end of the week.

you're missing the point dude. it's irrelevant whether or not they are a point or two better this week with vick as the QB. he isn't the long term solution at QB so there is no point in playing him.

I'm disappointed with the way things have transpired, but it is what it is. no need to continue bitching about it. vick is the QB. I don't like it but this is what we're stuck with. now I guess we'll see how things play out.

my confidence in reid has taken a substantial hit. hopefully he knows what he's doing here because I sure as hell don't agree with him
    pjhawks wrote:

kolb's done dude. reid completely screwed him. he'll be elsewhere next year most likely. how can he trust reid at this point anyway? my guess is vick is signed long term by end of season.

GO. BIRDS.

no one is getting a contract until the labor crap gets resolved, which might not be until 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

nice.

you're missing the point dude. it's irrelevant whether or not they are a point or two better this week with vick as the QB. he isn't the long term solution at QB so there is no point in playing him.

I'm disappointed with the way things have transpired, but it is what it is. no need to continue bitching about it. vick is the QB. I don't like it but this is what we're stuck with. now I guess we'll see how things play out.

my confidence in reid has taken a substantial hit. hopefully he knows what he's doing here because I sure as hell don't agree with him

i havend't missed the point. andy reid's missed the point. i would have stuck with kolb. he was given the shortest leash in the history of the national football league (and leashes for that matter). i am just trying to rationalize your boy's decision for you.

but it is what it is. you're right. the nfc looks wide open again this year. i disagree with vick not being a possible long term option though. reid is convinced he can turn him into a better quarterback. if he plays well this year, he's gonna be here for the foreseeable future. people are just going to have to come to terms with that.
    www.myspace.com
    welcome back to having your job on the line, andy...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... _seat.html
    Rich Hofmann: Quarterback move puts Reid on the hot seat

By Rich Hofmann
    Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Columnist
    IF THE EAGLES do not make a run in the playoffs this season, Andy Reid is on the clock in 2011. He has to be, after this. What once was an intricately planned debut season for Kevin Kolb is now, apparently, a win-at-all-costs race to the finish with Michael Vick.

Naming Vick as the Eagles' starting quarterback is not crazy. It is just wrong. Everybody has eyes, and everybody can see that Vick has exceeded all expectations in the six quarters he has played this season. Everybody also can see that the Eagles' offensive line is getting blitzed senseless, and that Vick has the athletic ability to make pass rushers miss better than Kolb. There is no argument there.

But pretending that you can shred a carefully prepared, months-in-the-making transition from Donovan McNabb to Kevin Kolb so quickly - and pretending that you haven't scarred Kolb in the process - is just that: pretending.

I know I'm using poor English, but this is beyond shortsighted.

Based on the reporting I was able to do last night, there are no cracks in the organizational armor. Reid has his story and they're sticking to it. That is, that this was not something Reid was noodling about while Kolb and the first offense labored this summer during the exhibition games, or even when Vick played well after Kolb received his concussion in the opener against Green Bay.

Rather, this all happened as a result of Vick's excellent work against those behemoths from the NFC North, the Detroit Lions, who have won exactly two games out of their last 35 as a franchise. Reid thought about it after that game, and then he thought about it some more, and then he decided - so goes the story.

And even though this decision resulted in some rather significant collateral damage - to Kolb's psyche, and to his reputation in the business, and to anyone's ability to trust the shelf life of Reid's words beyond the next three-point win against a lousy team - there is no evidence of any dissent among the biggest decision-makers in the building.

In fact, according to a source, owner Jeffrey Lurie, president Joe Banner, general manager Howie Roseman and Reid all gathered last night at the NovaCare Complex to sing songs and toast marshmallows upon the conflagration that resulted when they set fire to the $12.25 million they're paying Kolb as McNabb's anointed successor.

I know I'm using poor English, but this is a waste.

If Reid and the Eagles think Vick is going to have a better season than Kolb would have had, you can respect their expertise. But that isn't what this year was supposed to be about. This was going to be an inflection point for the franchise, a transition season - and everyone's expectations were tempered accordingly.

But, well, so much for transitions and for temperance. Just win, Andy. Just win.

They just spent the offseason turning the historical page from McNabb to Kolb. In that one,

Reid began the process with a very lawyerly statement saying McNabb was his guy, only to have to flip-flop later on. He obviously has stopped caring about contradicting himself in public.

Anyway, they spent months building up Kolb as a worthy successor to the player who was the face of the franchise for the last decade. Now, stunningly, after one game against the Detroit Lions, they have fallen in love with somebody else. With that, the face of the franchise is now Reid's two faces. What are any of us to believe anymore?

We're not trading McNabb.

We're entertaining offers.

Kolb is No. 1.

Vick is No. 1.

My sister.

My daughter.

My sister.

My daughter.

Again, just to make this clear: The decision to go to Vick is justifiable on pure football grounds. Or, well, put another way, it had better be justifiable on pure football grounds. Vick had better lead this football team into January, and maybe deep into January. Reid had better be right about that part - because that is the only way this can be rationalized in the end. A hearty 9-7 record does not come close to making this sensible.

I know I'm using poor English, but this is really on Andy Reid now.

GO. BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
  • I feel bad for Kolb. He seems like a stand-up guy and deserves better. Better than Andy Reid's dumb BS. It is not his fault that noone can block for him.

Reid will be gone after this year.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    As much as I might like Michael Vick's play on the field, he's no TOP DOG when it comes to starting for this team. We shall how this situation turns out, anything short of the playoffs and heads will roll.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• This is kind of obvious, but the Eagles look like a bunch of bumbling idiots grasping at straws with no idea what they're doing.

Vick is really fun to watch, although we all know he'll come up small when it really matters.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    i havend't missed the point. andy reid's missed the point. i would have stuck with kolb. he was given the shortest leash in the history of the national football league (and leashes for that matter). i am just trying to rationalize your boy's decision for you.

but it is what it is. you're right. the nfc looks wide open again this year. i disagree with vick not being a possible long term option though. reid is convinced he can turn him into a better quarterback. if he plays well this year, he's gonna be here for the foreseeable future. people are just going to have to come to terms with that.

the question is do you think Michael Vick gives this team a better chance to win this week? If so then you can rationalize the decision. The NFL is a week-to-week thing and you have to worry about the week at hand. win this week, worry about next week next week.

As far as long term Vick to me isn't really an option for two reasons. One is he couldn't really handle negativity in Atlanta (remember this is a guy who gave the finger to the fans in Atlanta) so how is he going to react to the fans and media in this town after a loss or two and the heat comes on. Secondly is he is a bad dude and bad dude's eventually do something stupid (public birthday party with thugs invited for example) or bad again - to me it's inevitable he will get into trouble again.

No doubt sucks for Kolb. be interesting to see how he handles it -clearly he can't be happy but what can he really do? Prepare and be ready to kill it when you get back in there. In the NFL you will inevitably get another chance especially at QB.
    pjhawks wrote:

the question is do you think Michael Vick gives this team a better chance to win this week? If so then you can rationalize the decision. The NFL is a week-to-week thing and you have to worry about the week at hand. win this week, worry about next week next week.

As far as long term Vick to me isn't really an option for two reasons. One is he couldn't really handle negativity in Atlanta (remember this is a guy who gave the finger to the fans in Atlanta) so how is he going to react to the fans and media in this town after a loss or two and the heat comes on. Secondly is he is a bad dude and bad dude's eventually do something stupid (public birthday party with thugs invited for example) or bad again - to me it's inevitable he will get into trouble again.

No doubt sucks for Kolb. be interesting to see how he handles it -clearly he can't be happy but what can he really do? Prepare and be ready to kill it when you get back in there. In the NFL you will inevitably get another chance especially at QB.

its short term and long term. obviously vick gives you a better shot this week, though either quarterback would have beaten this awful jags team coming up. thats not what this season was supposed to be about though. you know that as well as anyone else does. this season was about grooming kolb to become a solid nfl quarterback. they traded the greatest qb in franchise history to make way for him and gave him $12,000,000 to be that guy. you have to give him more of a shot than 10 pass attempts in between the stupid wildcat formations with vick.

they named vick the permanent starter. gotta get used to it. they've killed any confidence kolb had. they've turned the lockeroom against him and behind vick. you can't keep going back and forth with your quarterback. this is the nfl. that shit doesn't work. sal pal was reporting the birds are going to look at trading kolb before the deadline. mentioned the browns as possible suitors (makes sense since heckert was involved with drafting him).

birds need to make the playoffs to justify reid continuing to be the coach of this team. that is the new bottom line for this year.

GO. BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
  • Eagles at Jacksonville.

Could this be the franchise's first game in Jacksonville in which the QB doesn't throw up?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Eagles at Jacksonville.

Could this be the franchise's first game in Jacksonville in which the QB doesn't throw up?

funny guy...they played down there in the late 90's too...
    www.myspace.com
  • If this season was thought to be a super bowl year then keeping mcnabb was the anwser. I was 100% on board with trading 5,because i understood that we were building for next year and beyond with Kolb. Andy Reid should be fired for this cowardly act imo. Are we gonna win the bowl with Vick this year????? Will Vick be here after the season???? To me both anwsers are no,and if thats the case this team just wasted 1-2yrs of this teams progression. Its a joke for people to say that Kolb choked or didnt take advantage of his oppurinity. HE DIDNT GET A CHANCE TO PROVE ANYTHING BECAUSE HE GOT INJURIED. Im so sick of Reids crap, he makes me sick. He lies to 5 about being the starter this year,then lies to Kolb. This fan base should be angry that we get told lied to almost every time reid talks. Any real/true fan understands that this season was a stepping stone year. And if u thought for a second that we had/have a shot at the bowl then your drinking so much green koolaid its sick. I thought 9-7 was probably there record with 10-6 at best and 8-8 at worse. We should have traded Vick asap,cause im sure buffalo,arizona,cle,sea and other teams could use a qb. A 2 or 3rd pick would be very possible with Vick playing as well as he did. Instead we'll probably let Vick walk get shit in return and start the 2011 season with a shaky minded Kolb as are qb,genius i tell ya genius. :evil:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Eagles at Jacksonville.

funny guy...they played down there in the late 90's too...

Had to ruin it didn't you? :lol:

If this season was thought to be a super bowl year then keeping mcnabb was the anwser. I was 100% on board with trading 5,because i understood that we were building for next year and beyond with Kolb. Andy Reid should be fired for this cowardly act imo. Are we gonna win the bowl with Vick this year????? Will Vick be here after the season???? To me both anwsers are no,and if thats the case this team just wasted 1-2yrs of this teams progression. Its a joke for people to say that Kolb choked or didnt take advantage of his oppurinity. HE DIDNT GET A CHANCE TO PROVE ANYTHING BECAUSE HE GOT INJURIED. Im so sick of Reids crap, he makes me sick. He lies to 5 about being the starter this year,then lies to Kolb. This fan base should be angry that we get told lied to almost every time reid talks. Any real/true fan understands that this season was a stepping stone year. And if u thought for a second that we had/have a shot at the bowl then your drinking so much green koolaid its sick. I thought 9-7 was probably there record with 10-6 at best and 8-8 at worse. We should have traded Vick asap,cause im sure buffalo,arizona,cle,sea and other teams could use a qb. A 2 or 3rd pick would be very possible with Vick playing as well as he did. Instead we'll probably let Vick walk get shit in return and start the 2011 season with a shaky minded Kolb as are qb,genius i tell ya genius. :evil:

vick's gonna be here for the next 3-4 years. kolb's gone.
    www.myspace.com
  • I honestly don't think this decision was Reid's

You can tell by the stupid comments Reid said in his press conference..well I sure hope what Reid said is in his presser he doesn't believe

Super Bowl Team ? This doesn't stop Kolb's Maturation ?

What the hell is this organization smoking...I agree with most of you guys this was a year of let the team build as a unit under Kolb and take are lumps...but again with this Owner and pencil neck bean counter it's about being number 1 in Philly so they can't sit back and have a down year

Kolb got screwed plain and simple...I want the Eagles to win but I can't root for a certain QB
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    putting Kolb in with this offensive line though could have been disasterous for his development. let the offensive line settle in for a bit then put Kolb back in there. Kolb will get another chance this season - it is almost inevitable in the NFL. No reason to jump to conclusions that Kolb is gone and Vick will be the starter for 3-4 years. Things can change rapidly in the NFL with injuries and/or poor play. Again Kolb will get another chance and I'd be willing to bet he even gets at least one more start this year. The media and fans neet to take a deep breath and realize it's still september - teams have a way of evolving and changing over the season. the team you have in september is not necessarily the team you will field in december.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    they traded the greatest qb in franchise history

not being an Eagles fan so pardon me a bit. but the first thing that popped into my head was Randall Cunningham. I always enjoyed watching him. than i went and dug up his stats. a few really good seasons, 30td's one year, but nothing great.

then of course, there is Norm Van Brocklin and his championship.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

not being an Eagles fan so pardon me a bit. but the first thing that popped into my head was Randall Cunningham. I always enjoyed watching him. than i went and dug up his stats. a few really good seasons, 30td's one year, but nothing great.

then of course, there is Norm Van Brocklin and his championship.

randall cunningham wasn't one-third the QB Donovan McNabb was and still is. Saw every game each played as Eagles and it's not really all that close.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:

not being an Eagles fan so pardon me a bit. but the first thing that popped into my head was Randall Cunningham. I always enjoyed watching him in his tight pants. than i went and dug up his stats. a few really good seasons, 30td's one year, but nothing great.

then of course, there is Norm Van Brocklin and his championship bulge.

i never knew 81 felt that way
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    chadwick wrote:
    81 wrote:

not being an Eagles fan so pardon me a bit. but the first thing that popped into my head was Randall Cunningham. I always enjoyed watching him in his tight pants. than i went and dug up his stats. a few really good seasons, 30td's one year, but nothing great.

then of course, there is Norm Van Brocklin and his championship bulge.

i never knew 81 felt that way

you funny one time
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
This discussion has been closed.