THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    No i've said from the begin ning that 9-7 is the most likely scenairo imo. But 10-6 was the best with 8-8 as the worst. After seeing Kolb use his weapons the way there meant to be usen i strongly believe if injuries don't kill us will be 10-6. That offensive is gonna be for real,i don't care that we played the chiefs and saints with Kolb last year this O will be a top 5 team. Jackson and Celek will be studs this year mark it copy it write it down. Celek will score 10-12tds if healthy with Kolb all year. Tough to tell what the def was but i liked the little i saw. I just believe getting rid of 5 was the best decesion this team could have made. I'm a strong believer that Kolb will put up 26-32tds with 10-14ints and between 3700-4100yds passing. 10-6 a wild card game and possible a win not sure yet though.

I'm not as optimistic as you, but your predictions aren't crazy. The big questions are the o-line and the defense...which are obviously pretty big.

10 wins would be reid's best coaching job during his tenure...which is really saying something since he's awesome.

Whatever the record, this should be an exciting season. I'm so glad mcnabb is gone
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    The Fixer wrote:
    No i've said from the begin ning that 9-7 is the most likely scenairo imo. But 10-6 was the best with 8-8 as the worst. After seeing Kolb use his weapons the way there meant to be usen i strongly believe if injuries don't kill us will be 10-6. That offensive is gonna be for real,i don't care that we played the chiefs and saints with Kolb last year this O will be a top 5 team. Jackson and Celek will be studs this year mark it copy it write it down. Celek will score 10-12tds if healthy with Kolb all year. Tough to tell what the def was but i liked the little i saw. I just believe getting rid of 5 was the best decesion this team could have made. I'm a strong believer that Kolb will put up 26-32tds with 10-14ints and between 3700-4100yds passing. 10-6 a wild card game and possible a win not sure yet though.

I'm not as optimistic as you, but your predictions aren't crazy. The big questions are the o-line and the defense...which are obviously pretty big.

10 wins would be reid's best coaching job during his tenure...which is really saying something since he's awesome.

Whatever the record, this should be an exciting season. I'm so glad mcnabb is gone

Friends of mine in DC are pumped about McNabb - basically because of his start tonight. Pahhhahahahaha.
    The Fixer wrote:

Friends of mine in DC are pumped about McNabb - basically because of his start tonight. Pahhhahahahaha.

dude all of my tool redskins buddies from college are the exact same...even though they ripped mcnabb for the last 10 years.

they don't know what's coming. skins are going 6-10 this year. mcnabb only starts 12 games due to injury
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

D-Jack will be a stud this year,and Celek will be a beast. I think Maclin and Mccoy will step as well. I agree are O-line needs to hold up until jackson gets back. I really like Ernie Sims i got flamed when i was extact about the trade by friends. When a player has a season with a team like det in his rookie year u can tell the guy has talent. I truly think in the next 3yrs a super bowl could seriously happen with a parade this time.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

D-Jack will be a stud this year,and Celek will be a beast. I think Maclin and Mccoy will step as well. I agree are O-line needs to hold up until jackson gets back. I really like Ernie Sims i got flamed when i was extact about the trade by friends. When a player has a season with a team like det in his rookie year u can tell the guy has talent. I truly think in the next 3yrs a super bowl could seriously happen with a parade this time.

I loved the simms trade as well. he's the first legit OLB they've had since willie T
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    not a bad start last night.

kolb looked good. he had some nice throws. the deep one into the endzone, it looked like he didnt have enough zip on it though. donovan would have connected there. but i liked how he lead the team down the field. unfortunately it looks like we still have redzone issues though.

i was impressed with mccoy. the o line gave him some decent holes to run through.

riley cooper has the potential to be a beast. he dropped a vick pass, but than that he was on point.

graham was in the backfield all night when he was playing. looks like the reports from camp might be true. allen didn't really have to do much out there. kurt coleman was decent too. 1st team defense--two series, two 3 and outs.

vick....argh......he looked pretty good. he looks a lot quicker than last year. but those turnovers were just awful. hopefully some qb gets hurt and we can deal him. i really think reid is making a HUGE mistake if he intends to use vick like he did last year. all he will accomplish will be to stunt kolb's growth.

we were flipping back and forth to the skins game. donovan looked pretty damn good, as expected. cooley's gonna have 80+ catches this year. mark that down. this season is going to be so much fun with the birds and also flipping over to catch the skins games. 10/3 will be complete insanity.

less than a month till opening day gentlemen!
    GO BIRDS! :mrgreen:

i know many of you are still caught up in baseball season as i am...but i cannot wait for friday's game. i'm hearing so much positivity coming out of camp, that you just want to see it first hand against an actual opponent to believe it for yourself. only the first preseason game. starters might play a quarter at the most. the 3rd one is where they play extended time. i just wanna see some football. any football at this point. gonna have a few people over for some pops to watch this and the phils beat up on the muts.

the main things i'm looking for early on:

kolb's precision
    how mccoy looks (for someone replacing a legend--you barely hear anything about this kid, which i guess is a good thing)
    the 4th reciever battle
    also really want to see graham and allen play on defense.
    and ellis hobbs--again, nothing but positive reviews from camp....gotta be a bit skeptical.
    strong side lb battle.

GO. BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I loved the simms trade as well. he's the first legit OLB they've had since willie T

willie t?

carlos emmons was a beast back with jj's early defenses here before he got hurt. shame we completely forgot about that position after he left...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

desean jackson's madden juke move on that d back was utter nonsense last night. reminded me of an iverson killer cross over. this offense has so many weapons its not even funny.
    www.myspace.com
    No i've said from the begin ning that 9-7 is the most likely scenairo imo. But 10-6 was the best with 8-8 as the worst. After seeing Kolb use his weapons the way there meant to be usen i strongly believe if injuries don't kill us will be 10-6.

they way they were meant to be used? i was impressed with kolb. but let's be honest, his play last night was a lot like we're used to seeing with the donovan. he used his legs well. he wasn't more accurate than 5. a lot of his throws were not quite in stride. they were there, but maybe a fraction of a second behind where they ideally should be, like a lot of 5's throw. and the deep toss to the endzone lacked zip. donovan would have had that in there. bottom line is we got 2 field goals out of his three series.

redzone offense has been this offense's achilles heal for years....so far, with a different qb in there, it still is. andy has a lot work to do in the next few weeks.

but you have to be encouraged by last night none the less. it was a very good start. first team d played real well too. bringing in dick jauron to help mcdermott was genius.
    www.myspace.com

kolb looked good. he had some nice throws. the deep one into the endzone, it looked like he didnt have enough zip on it though. donovan would have connected there. but i liked how he lead the team down the field. unfortunately it looks like we still have redzone issues though.

come on man, you're saying they will have red zone issues after watching the 1's play for one quarter???? That's pretty ridiculous

Vick is garbage. I still don't understand why he's here
    The Fixer wrote:

come on man, you're saying they will have red zone issues after watching the 1's play for one quarter???? That's pretty ridiculous

we've had red zone issues for years.

both long drives stalled inside the 20...that is all too familiar. i would definitely have liked to have seen them pound one in. especially against a scrub defense like the jags.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

we've had red zone issues for years.

both long drives stalled inside the 20...that is all too familiar. i would definitely have liked to have seen them pound one in. especially against a scrub defense like the jags.

you know the preseason doesn't mean anything right? you're putting WAYYYYYYY too much thought into one meaningless quarter of football
  • my two cents without reading the last few pages....

1. Riley Cooper has HUGE potential to be a true offensive threat...I really liked what I saw, good effort, good footwork...he better stay healthy! Definitely looking forward to seeing what he can do...

2. Kolb...moving better in the pocket then the last few times I've seen him, which is a huge relief for me. i hated how he always took too many steps backwards and always seemed to be throwing off his back foot. (cuz I know sooo much about QB coaching :-) ) still needs to be a stronger passer--or maybe just more confident.

3. Vick...if he can cut down on errors after making big plays, he'll be good. too many awful--not just bad--but AWFUL mistakes after huge plays.

4. um, Redzone? will someone make a play? anyone? please?!?!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    can't believe people are crying about red zone offense after 1 QUARTER!!

ridiculous
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

ridiculous

your boy andy reid:
    "All in all, I thought it was a good effort. There obviously are some things that we need to work on. We need to do a better job in the red zone. It was nice to get [K] David [Akers] some kicks, but not that many. When you work hard to get into the red zone, you want to make sure you punch it in. The kickoff return units, in particular the second and third groups, need some work. All in all, I thought the effort was there. The [starting] defense only got six plays, but they played well for those six. The offense was able to sustain some drives which really cut down on the first quarter."

there are things i liked about friday's game and some i didn't. i don't what to tell you.

when it's something that's been a problem for years, you'd like to see some improvement. not a huge issue at this point. they've got a month and 3 games to work on it though.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    my two cents without reading the last few pages....

1. Riley Cooper has HUGE potential to be a true offensive threat...I really liked what I saw, good effort, good footwork...he better stay healthy! Definitely looking forward to seeing what he can do...

2. Kolb...moving better in the pocket then the last few times I've seen him, which is a huge relief for me. i hated how he always took too many steps backwards and always seemed to be throwing off his back foot. (cuz I know sooo much about QB coaching :-) ) still needs to be a stronger passer--or maybe just more confident.

3. Vick...if he can cut down on errors after making big plays, he'll be good. too many awful--not just bad--but AWFUL mistakes after huge plays.

4. um, Redzone? will someone make a play? anyone? please?!?!

there she is...how's life in pa treating you these days?!
    www.myspace.com
  • she's baaaaaaack! Glad to be back on the east coast....and am SO glad to be back during football season with lots of other Eagles fans :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    Closer look at Kolb's performance Listen to this article.

Kevin Kolb completed six of 11 passes for 95 yards Friday night against the Jaguars. (Yong Kim / Staff Photographer)

I took some time to re-watch Kevin Kolb's performance Friday night against the Jaguars.

Kolb completed six of 11 passes for 95 yards. Here are my notes on each of his throws:

Pass 1: The Eagles lined up with two running backs, two receivers and a tight end. LeSean McCoy motioned out wide to the right. To the left were Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson in the slot. Kolb started off under center, took a three-step drop and found Jackson, who was somehow matched up with a Jaguars linebacker. Kolb's throw went about 6 yards and was on the money, allowing Jackson to pick up 15 yards after the catch.

Pass 2: The Eagles were lined up with the same personnel, but Kolb was in the shotgun this time. They ran play-action to McCoy, and Kolb found a wide-open Maclin 20 yards down the field. He picked up about 9 yards after the catch. The key here was good protection.

Pass 3: The offense was in the red zone at the Jaguars' 11-yard line. Set up in the shotgun, Kolb felt some pressure from the right side and tried to force a 5-yard throw to Jason Avant. The pass could have been intercepted if Avant didn't break it up.

Pass 4: This was the Eagles' best chance at a touchdown with the first unit. Faced with a 3rd-and-6 from the Jaguars' 11, Kolb dropped back and faked to his right before coming back to Brent Celek in the back of the end zone. Celek had a couple defenders nearby, but Kolb delivered a very good throw. Celek could not hang on though.

Pass 5: Not much to this one. On first down, Kolb lined up under center and found Maclin for a short gain (3 yards) over the middle.

Pass 6: The Eagles had a 3rd-and-9 from their own 34-yard line. Kolb lined up in the shotgun and felt some pressure upfield. He did a good job of stepping up in the pocket, taking several steps forward, before finding Celek for a 12-yard gain. The throw was on the money, and Kolb showed good presence and instincts to get rid of the ball before crossing the line of scrimmage.

Pass 7: This was another three-step drop. Kolb looked for Celek, who was matched up against a linebacker. The 4-yard throw was behind the Eagles' tight end. Of his five incompletions, this was probably the only one where he had an open receiver and just made a bad pass.

Pass 8: Kolb felt pressure from the right side, but did a good job again of stepping up in the pocket. He tried to complete a 5-yard pass to Celek, but the Eagles' tight end was covered and the ball was batted down.

Pass 9: Kolb set up in the shotgun on 3rd-and-10 from the Eagles' 46. He once again had some pressure from the right side and shuffled to his left. Kolb found Jackson 26 yards down the field for a big play. It was not a great throw, but Kolb let Jackson make a play, which he's certainly capable of.

Pass 10: At the Jaguars' 24-yard line, the Eagles faced a 1st-and-20 after a penalty. Kolb took the snap under center and had plenty of time, but ended up throwing a bad ball intended for Maclin in the end zone. Probably Kolb's worst throw of the game, as the forced attempt was nearly picked off by Jaguars safety Reggie Nelson.

Pass 11: The Eagles were backed up at their own 3-yard line and had a 2nd-and-8. The key here was to get rid of the ball quickly since Kolb was dropping back into his own end zone. Kolb found Avant for 4 yards on the right side to get the offense some breathing room.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

ridiculous

your boy andy reid:
    "All in all, I thought it was a good effort. There obviously are some things that we need to work on. We need to do a better job in the red zone. It was nice to get [K] David [Akers] some kicks, but not that many. When you work hard to get into the red zone, you want to make sure you punch it in. The kickoff return units, in particular the second and third groups, need some work. All in all, I thought the effort was there. The [starting] defense only got six plays, but they played well for those six. The offense was able to sustain some drives which really cut down on the first quarter."

there are things i liked about friday's game and some i didn't. i don't what to tell you.

when it's something that's been a problem for years, you'd like to see some improvement. not a huge issue at this point. they've got a month and 3 games to work on it though.

I could care less what andy reid says. His press conferences don't mean anything (eagles fans should know this by now). I'll worry about stuff if it becomes a problem in a game that matters. To hear complaining about 1 quarter of a preseason game is a perfect example of why I can't stand philly fans. Unbelievable
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ridiculous

your boy andy reid:

I could care less what andy reid says. His press conferences don't mean anything (eagles fans should know this by now). I'll worry about stuff if it becomes a problem in a game that matters. To hear complaining about 1 quarter of a preseason game is a perfect example of why I can't stand philly fans. Unbelievable

who is complaining? there were good things and bad things about the game. this is one of the bad things. and it is the main thing the offense needs to improve upon over last year.

you don't worry about stuff if until it becomes a problem in a game....huh? no you recognize that it has been this offense's number 1 problem for years and you try to improve upon it in the preseason and training camp. this is one of their main focuses up in lehigh.

surely you're not suggesting we watch the game and not be critical of anything...just because you came off with the same rosy glow that hugh douglass and don tolefeson appeared to have doesn't mean the game was perfect.
    www.myspace.com
    :clap::clap::clap:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/201 ... ctice.html

Injured linemen Jackson, Herremans return to Eagles practice
    POSTED: August 16, 2010
    Injured linemen Jackson, Herremans return to Eagles practice

By Jonathan Tamari and Jeff McLane

Inquirer Staff Writers
    BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Center Jamaal Jackson returned to Eagles practice for a short stint Sunday, less than eight months after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Jackson and guard Todd Herremans, starters on the offensive line, came off the physically-unable-to-perform list and took part in their first practices of training camp at Lehigh University.

Herremans had been sidelined since late May with a balky left foot.

Each was limited and did not take part in any full-contact drills. Still, the fact that they were with the team at all added to the Eagles' hope that they could be ready to solidify the offensive line early in the season. Just when, though, is unclear, head coach Andy Reid said.

Jackson, the anchor of the line last season, still thinks about his last game.

It was two days after Christmas, the same day that an Inquirer story praised his durability. He was hurt early against the Denver Broncos . The Eagles won without him but got trounced by the Dallas Cowboys in the next two weeks, ending their season.

"You hate to go down with your team in prime position going to the playoffs," Jackson said. "I still think about that last snap that I took, and I still think about it every day. It's something that over time I'm going to have to forget. There's another season ahead."

The 30-year-old Jackson said he was optimistic that he could be ready for the Sept. 12 opener.

Reid said he wanted to monitor both players' progress.

Jackson, Reid said, is ahead of schedule, but no sure thing for Week 1.

"It's too soon," he said. "I've got to see how his leg reacted after this practice. Then it's going to be the same thing the next day, and we're just going to take it day by day and see how he does, and make sure you don't overwork it."

Herremans, 27, is more likely to be ready for the opener, the coach said.

"I think he will be, unless there's a setback," Reid said. "Again, I've got to see how his foot reacts to the work that he's given here."

Herremans, who missed five weeks last year with an injury in the same foot, said that if sitting out now "is the price to be able to play all season, I'll live with it."

Reid also had been optimistic about Herremans before training camp.

Herremans and Jackson had been working out on the sidelines at Lehigh while the rest of the team practiced.

On Sunday, Jackson participated in a small portion of the morning practice. Herremans was in for part of the morning and all of the light afternoon workout, which moved indoors to a basketball court because of rain.

"It felt different. I'm not going to lie," Jackson said. "It felt good just getting out there and just shaking the rust off a little bit. We'll add a little bit more as the days go on and see how it is."

Jackson wore braces on both knees. His elbow hit one brace when he snapped the ball, he said. He called the morning practice a step along the way to getting back into games.

Meanwhile, Nick Cole , one of the men who might stand in for Jackson, also returned to practice after missing time with a sore knee. He took part only in the afternoon session, which had no contact. He worked with the first team, bumping down Mike McGlynn, who had performed well in Cole's place.

Reid said Cole remained his top choice to replace Jackson, despite some struggles early in camp.

Cole declined to talk to reporters after practice, but McGlynn said he still hoped to start regardless of who returned to the field.

"Everybody wants to start. That's my goal," said McGlynn, a fourth-round draft pick in 2008. And if Jackson and Cole move ahead of him? "Will I be [ticked] off? Yeah, anybody would be. I want to be out there and start. I feel like it's time for me to get up and get going."

McGlynn delivered all of the snaps in the first team's one quarter of action in the Eagles' first preseason game Friday. After reviewing the game tape, Reid said McGlynn had played "very well."

"He needs to play more, and he's got plenty of room for improvement, but for his first time out, that was a pretty good day," Reid said.
    www.myspace.com

who is complaining? there were good things and bad things about the game. this is one of the bad things. and it is the main thing the offense needs to improve upon over last year.

you don't worry about stuff if until it becomes a problem in a game....huh? no you recognize that it has been this offense's number 1 problem for years and you try to improve upon it in the preseason and training camp. this is one of their main focuses up in lehigh.

surely you're not suggesting we watch the game and not be critical of anything...just because you came off with the same rosy glow that hugh douglass and don tolefeson appeared to have doesn't mean the game was perfect.

I was at a bar friday night. mostly paying attention to the phillies game. you know, because it mattered. I'm not putting a 'rosy glow' on anything. Preseason games don't mean shit. Most important thing about preseason is avoiding injuries

I don't think you can compare this team to last year's team. new QB means new identity.

the offense is gonna be fine. If celek doesn't drop the ball in the end zone we wouldn't be having this stupid ass discussion
    The Fixer wrote:

I was at a bar friday night. mostly paying attention to the phillies game. you know, because it mattered. I'm not putting a 'rosy glow' on anything. Preseason games don't mean shit. Most important thing about preseason is avoiding injuries

I don't think you can compare this team to last year's team. new QB means new identity.

the offense is gonna be fine. If celek doesn't drop the ball in the end zone we wouldn't be having this stupid ass discussion

if you didn't really watch the game...how are you possibly trying to argue with me about what happened in the game? again, there are things i liked, some things i didn't. this is one of them. i don't know what else to tell you dude.

take your own advice and don't pay attention for another few weeks if you don't want some analysis of how the team looks right now.
    www.myspace.com

if you didn't really watch the game...how are you possibly trying to argue with me about what happened in the game? again, there are things i liked, some things i didn't. this is one of them. i don't know what else to tell you dude.

take your own advice and don't pay attention for another few weeks if you don't want some analysis of how the team looks right now.

I really didn't watch much on friday night. I saw some of the replay on NFL network.

I guess we disagree about the preseason. you obviously put a lot more worth into these performances than I do. I don't think they mean anything. at all
    The Fixer wrote:

I really didn't watch much on friday night. I saw some of the replay on NFL network.

I guess we disagree about the preseason. you obviously put a lot more worth into these performances than I do. I don't think they mean anything. at all

you just don't get it. we'll wake you up in a few weeks.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

you just don't get it. we'll wake you up in a few weeks.

get what? seriously

there is no correlation at all whatsoever with preseason and regular season success/failure. none
    I'm not as worried about the redzone as the jeags is but its deff something to keep an eye on. If Celek catches that ball then this probably isn't an issue. But I heard well kolb played well against slop last year so its tough to judge him. Now its well its the preseaon it dosen't count all he's done is look good. My 10-6 perdiction imo is very possible cause of how Kolb runs this offense. He's gonna hit these guys in stride all year,djacks YAC is gonna be crazy this year. If the def plays a little better the avg this could be a season that shocks a lot of people.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I'm not as worried about the redzone as the jeags is but its deff something to keep an eye on. If Celek catches that ball then this probably isn't an issue. But I heard well kolb played well against slop last year so its tough to judge him. Now its well its the preseaon it dosen't count all he's done is look good. My 10-6 perdiction imo is very possible cause of how Kolb runs this offense. He's gonna hit these guys in stride all year,djacks YAC is gonna be crazy this year. If the def plays a little better the avg this could be a season that shocks a lot of people.

it's not that i'm worried about it. i listed about 7 things that i was happy about with the game and a couple things i didn't like. go look at my posts. fixer's just a huge reid fan and will harp on anything i say negatively about the team.

they can hit 10-6 if things go right. kolb looked good. i just don't think he looked as good as the entire city is making it out today. celek should have caught that ball. but two of his throws could easily have been picks.

good start though.

more importantly, i am getting a little more confident in our defense...
    www.myspace.com
    I like reid far from love him,I'd trade reid and a 3rd pick in a second for rex ryan. That's a coach that as a player you love to go to battle for. Reids stubborness Has hurt us alot in the past and it have driven me crazy as well. But I also believe that he's the best coach we've probably ever had. Kinda the Mcnabb thing all over to me,I wanted 5 gone and I would have ok with Reid gone as well. I'm ok with him here to so this season will be huge for him as well.
    Go Birds!!!!
    ok, a few quick points

1 - the performance from one preseason game is so wildly overblown it is comical

2 - reid is by far the best coach the eagles have ever had

3 - baldinger predicted 10 wins for the eagles, just like jammin did

I really don't feel like arguing about this stuff anymore. the preseason performances are meaningless. didn't the lions go undefeated in the preseason a couple of years ago when they ended up 0-16?
This discussion has been closed.