THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    kinda funny that this article comes out a day after our discussion on the red zone issue.

i think what i said was blown way out of proportion though. we've been bad in the red zone for years. so one of the focuses of camp and especially the games is get better execution down there. last week we didn't look too good. this will be something they'll need to improve on in the next couple weeks. (incidentally i think this mclane kid has turned into a pretty good beat writer for the birds)

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/201 ... _less.html
    Eagles' red-zone offense usually settles for less
    POSTED: August 17, 2010

By Jeff McLane

Check down.

Get the ball vertical both in the run and pass.

No sacks.

No penalties.

Take care of the football.

In their first preseason game Friday against the Jaguars, the Eagles - in eight trips inside the red zone - scored only two touchdowns, settled for five field goals, and had one turnover. As for Mornhinweg's inside-the-20-yard line tenets . . .

"We blew them all," he said Monday at training camp. "We blew all of our philosophies."

The two touchdowns in eight tries would have put the Eagles at the bottom of last year's NFL rankings. The quarterbacks' check downs, and there were plenty, almost always resulted in an incomplete pass. And, there were two sacks, two penalties, and one costly fumble.

"We moved the ball 324 yards in the first half, 496 in the game, and at the half we have 16 points?" Mornhinweg said. "That's not right. We got to be greedy with those points."

As it would happen, the Eagles worked almost exclusively on their red-zone offense in the last two morning practices. The schedule is planned weeks in advance, so the scheduling was merely coincidental. But coming on the heels of Friday's performance, it allowed coach Andy Reid to address the situation immediately.

"Everybody has a piece of the pie," Reid said. "The coaches have to make sure that they're dialing up the right plays for the right situation. We all have a part of that and that's where you saw us working on that."

In Friday's game, the first-team offense produced two field goals in two red-zone tries. The backups were inserted during the third possession and accounted for one fumble, two field goals and a touchdown. And the third team scored a touchdown and a field goal.

As woeful as the effort was, it was just one preseason game. And according to starting quarterback Kevin Kolb, "it is stuff we can easily fix."

But can they?

In the last three years, when the Eagles have made it inside the 20-yard line they have scored a touchdown less than half of the time. That has put them in the back third of the league.

Last season, they scored a touchdown 48.1 percent of the time and were tied for 23d in the league. The season before it was 49.2 percent and a 22d ranking, and in 2007, it was 45.1 percent and 24th. For a team that has set franchise records for points in the last two years, the Eagles have left plenty out on the field.

So why the problem?

"It's just a whole different attitude and philosophy down there - on both sides of the football," Mornhinweg said. "Some teams want to blitz you and play man-to-man and knock you back. Some teams will play you very, very soft and say, 'OK, you're going to have to get three really good plays to get a first down or get into the end zone.' And some will mix it on you."

On Friday, the Eagles' problems were self-inflicted.

There was a snag on each of the first three drives inside the red zone. On the first, Kolb nearly tossed an interception on second down. And then tight end Brent Celek dropped a catchable ball in the end zone on third down.

"I don't think we would talk about struggling in the red zone if I would have caught that pass," Celek said.

On the second drive, fullback Leonard Weaver was called for holding on first down and that was that. On the third drive, there was an illegal-formation penalty on first down and on third down, Michael Vick was sacked and fumbled.

On the rest of the failed drives with the reserves, Mornhinweg said, "there was a lack of execution."

The Eagles have more than three weeks and three preseason games to get the execution right.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    just caught the replay of the game from friday. it's only the preseason, but the offensive line is definitely a concern. they were horrendous. tough for kolb to complete passes when he's running backwards.

and michael vick needs to go away. I still don't understand why he's here. not only is he a dispicable human being, but he's not a good football player
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    just caught the replay of the game from friday. it's only the preseason, but the offensive line is definitely a concern. they were horrendous. tough for kolb to complete passes when he's running backwards.

and michael vick needs to go away. I still don't understand why he's here. not only is he a dispicable human being, but he's not a good football player

The o-line was horendous but i still thought kolb played well. Like i've been saying kolb and D-jack are gonna lite up the league this year. Maclin seems to be ok thankfully, kinda looked bad but reports are hes ok. Vick does look faster this year but man he sucked ass. I don't mind him as a backup but thats what he needs to be,i hope they let Kolb play and stop the damn Wildcat or whatever they run. Def looked ok imo,as for Cin i think TO has a big year,Carson seems to like throwing him the ball more then Chad.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

The o-line was horendous but i still thought kolb played well. Like i've been saying kolb and D-jack are gonna lite up the league this year. Maclin seems to be ok thankfully, kinda looked bad but reports are hes ok. Vick does look faster this year but man he sucked ass. I don't mind him as a backup but thats what he needs to be,i hope they let Kolb play and stop the damn Wildcat or whatever they run. Def looked ok imo,as for Cin i think TO has a big year,Carson seems to like throwing him the ball more then Chad.

yeah, I'm not worried about kolb at all. The more I hear him talk the more I like him. He's a smart dude and seems to know how to lead a team. Lot to like.

The offense should put up a lot of points if they can block guys. The o-line worries me.

only 3 weeks until the first game. will be here before we know it.
    newsflash...

Saw Donovan McNabb's first three drives against the Ravens. Inaccurate. Finished 11 of 26.

the redskins are gonna suck. they'll be lucky to win 6 games this year
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    The Fixer wrote:
    newsflash...

Saw Donovan McNabb's first three drives against the Ravens. Inaccurate. Finished 11 of 26.

I watched this game down in Maryland Saturday night. Dude threw a terrible INT. Plus, got majorly roughed up. It was sweet.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    newsflash...

I watched this game down in Maryland Saturday night. Dude threw a terrible INT. Plus, got majorly roughed up. It was sweet.

I agree on the Deadskins but not because of the last game

I think the Iggles will be battling them for 3rd in the Divison
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:
    newsflash...

1- mcnabb haters are just as annoying as all the other "idiot" philly fans you love to rip on. no difference. the exact same thing...but even worse now that he's not even on our team.

2- it is funny how when i point out our lack of redzone execution you say that doesn't mean anything because it is preseason, yet when a 12 year vet has a bad preseason half it somehow correlates to him being in accurate and the redskins sucking this year. here's what you said just a couple weeks ago:

"there is no correlation at all whatsoever with preseason and regular season success/failure. none" ---so either you place a lot more credence on pre season or you're lumped in with those "idiot philly fans.' i would like to believe it is the former my friend!

3- the bottom line is the redskins should win 3-4 more games than they did last year (doubling their win total) and the eagles will most likely win 2-3 less games than they did last year...and both teams will be a lot better in 2011. all the more reason not to trade a franchise qb to an in-division rival.....by the way, kolb's completion this preseason? just over 60%. sound familiar? it should.

anyway, here is what i thought of last week's game:

the line was worse than it was at the end of last season. we have to hope herremans and jackson don't miss much time. herremans is playing friday. but what they had on the field did looked awful last week. there is no depth what so ever....that 3rd and 1 run play after the turnover stands out.

kolb looked pretty good. that one toss to jackson where he put it right between the two d backs was really sweet. he also bought some time in the pocket ala donovan. he hit the open recievers. i still haven't seen any signs of a significant improvement in accuracy though--most of his passes have been completed when the recievers were wide open with that d jack play as the exception.

redzone...still no td's. kolb did do a nice job of hitting celek for the td...but fucking peters. and peters still looks like he is offsides on every play. i think reid ran the ball a total of 1 play in and around the redzone in the first half too. reid may end up killing kolb this year.

i still think the d looks better than expected. hanson got killed on that deep one to owens. it was a perfectly thrown ball though. but the bengals had great field possession all half and only managed that one touch down. 2 turnovers too were great. that's one thing the d did well this year and should continue. i really like our linebackers. nate allen, other than getting run over by benson on that run, looked solid again. i think graham had a sack and laid out some rb deep in the backfield in the 2nd half.

why are we flying to kansas city for a preseason game friday? seems pretty unecessary. lots of things to work on though.....GO BIRDS!!!
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    newsflash...

1- mcnabb haters are just as annoying as all the other "idiot" philly fans you love to rip on. no difference. the exact same thing...but even worse now that he's not even on our team.

2- it is funny how when i point out our lack of redzone execution you say that doesn't mean anything because it is preseason, yet when a 12 year vet has a bad preseason half it somehow correlates to him being in accurate and the redskins sucking this year. here's what you said just a couple weeks ago:

"there is no correlation at all whatsoever with preseason and regular season success/failure. none" ---so either you place a lot more credence on pre season or you're lumped in with those "idiot philly fans.' i would like to believe it is the former my friend!

3- the bottom line is the redskins should win 3-4 more games than they did last year (doubling their win total) and the eagles will most likely win 2-3 less games than they did last year...and both teams will be a lot better in 2011. all the more reason not to trade a franchise qb to an in-division rival.....by the way, kolb's completion this preseason? just over 60%. sound familiar? it should.

the line was worse than it was at the end of last season. we have to hope herremans and jackson don't miss much time. herremans is playing friday. but what they had on the field did looked awful last week. there is no depth what so ever....that 3rd and 1 run play after the turnover stands out.

kolb looked pretty good. that one toss to jackson where he put it right between the two d backs was really sweet. he also bought some time in the pocket ala donovan. he hit the open recievers. i still haven't seen any signs of a significant improvement in accuracy though--most of his passes have been completed when the recievers were wide open with that d jack play as the exception.

redzone...still no td's. kolb did do a nice job of hitting celek for the td...but fucking peters. and peters still looks like he is offsides on every play. i think reid ran the ball a total of 1 play in and around the redzone in the first half too. reid may end up killing kolb this year.

i still think the d looks better than expected. hanson got killed on that deep one to owens. it was a perfectly thrown ball though. but the bengals had great field possession all half and only managed that one touch down. 2 turnovers too were great. that's one thing the d did well this year and should continue. i really like our linebackers. nate allen, other than getting run over by benson on that run, looked solid again. i think graham had a sack and laid out some rb deep in the backfield in the 2nd half.

why are we flying to kansas city for a preseason game friday? seems pretty unecessary. lots of things to work on though.....GO BIRDS!!!

relax dude. I was just forwarding what peter king said in his article. preseason stuff doesn't mean shit. the lions went 4-0 in the preseason, then didn't win a game.

I stopped reading your rant after the 2nd sentence. don't worry about the preseason, it means nothing
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    newsflash...

relax dude. I was just forwarding what peter king said in his article. preseason stuff doesn't mean shit. the lions went 4-0 in the preseason, then didn't win a game.

I stopped reading your rant after the 2nd sentence. don't worry about the preseason, it means nothing

forwarded and then added your spin at the end.

you don't even realize that you are the epitome of every philly sports fan you despise.

irony is awesome. :mrgreen:

GO BIRDS!
    www.myspace.com
    yeah, I said redskins will win 6 games. I believe that. They didn't improve their team much from last year...and shanahan has one 1 playoff win in the 12 years or so since elway retired. he's a decent coach, but he's not a miracle worker

don't know why you feel the need to defend mcnabb anymore. He's gone. we should be celebrating that we don't have to worry about that crybaby anymore.
    The Fixer wrote:
    yeah, I said redskins will win 6 games. I believe that. They didn't improve their team much from last year...and shanahan has one 1 playoff win in the 12 years or so since elway retired. he's a decent coach, but he's not a miracle worker

don't know why you feel the need to defend mcnabb anymore. He's gone. we should be celebrating that we don't have to worry about that crybaby anymore.

go read my post. educate yourself. thank me later.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

All I see is a blanket statement saying that the redskins are magically going to double their 2009 win total. Not sure what you're basing that crazy talk on.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

All I see is a blanket statement saying that the redskins are magically going to double their 2009 win total. Not sure what you're basing that crazy talk on.

how is what i say a "blanket statement" while yours is not? they're two predictions dude.

shanahan is a good coach. i respect him more than you i guess. he's obviously a better coach with a good qb.

when you wake up and start following football look at their schedule. i think they're 4-4 by their bye. 3-4 more wins after that is not nearly as illogical as the mcnabb haters think. either way next year is their year...same with us probably.
    www.myspace.com
    1 - I don't believe in looking at schedules in the NFL. I think it's rare to know how most NFL teams will do, what injuries will happen, etc.

2 - You said the skins will double their win total, but you don't base that assumption on anything substantial. I say they didn't improve much from last year, so they are gonna win 6 games.

3 - good to have you back. arguing with you is fun and annoying at the same time...if that makes sense
    The Fixer wrote:
    1 - I don't believe in looking at schedules in the NFL. I think it's rare to know how most NFL teams will do, what injuries will happen, etc.

2 - You said the skins will double their win total, but you don't base that assumption on anything substantial. I say they didn't improve much from last year, so they are gonna win 6 games.

3 - good to have you back. arguing with you is fun and annoying at the same time...if that makes sense

if you don't look at the schedule you have no business what so ever predicting anything. utterly ridiculous.

super bowl winning coach + franchise qb + already stout defense = a few more wins. they had one of the most inept coaches in their franchises history last year. they won 8 and 9 games the previous two years before the wheels fell off.

rocket science, this is not. i'll wake you up next month. go back to sleep.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

if you don't look at the schedule you have no business what so ever predicting anything. utterly ridiculous.

super bowl winning coach + franchise qb + already stout defense = a few more wins. they had one of the most inept coaches in their franchises history last year. they won 8 and 9 games the previous two years before the wheels fell off.

Mike Shanahan won SB's because of a Hallof Fame QB, 2,000 yard running back, Hall of Fame safety anchoring his defense, and probably one of the best offense lines in the history of the game. Shanahan is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the league. IE look at his work in Oakland before, and his work in Denver post-Elway. Shanahan sucks.
    The Fixer wrote:

Mike Shanahan won SB's because of a Hallof Fame QB, 2,000 yard running back, Hall of Fame safety anchoring his defense, and probably one of the best offense lines in the history of the game. Shanahan is one of the most overrated coaches in the history of the league. IE look at his work in Oakland before, and his work in Denver post-Elway. Shanahan sucks.

I agree. you forgot one of the 3 best TEs of all time too
    The Fixer wrote:

ok, we are gonna have to bet on this. I say 6 wins, you say 8. so we'll set the O/U at 7. you take the over, I got the under. 7 wins and it's a wash

I'll bet whatever you want. the redskins are gonna blow as always

If I had to pick one game each of the last 2 years that I thought the eagles would win, I would have picked

2008 - cincinnati
    2009 - oakland

they didn't win either game. so my point is analyzing the schedule and predicting wins/losses is mostly a waste of time in my book. just look at the vegas O/Us for the year. That is the best gauge there is for predicting how teams will do. Eagles are 8.5 this year. I like the under
    The Fixer wrote:

Agreed.
    edited August 2010
    The Fixer wrote:

that team's previous coaches could not get anything accomplished with that talent. its a quarterback driven league....tough to win much with turnover machines like brian greasie and jake plumber under center for so many years. plus most super bowl winners usually have a few hall of famers sprinkled throughout the roster

he's got a top 10 qb cut in the same mold as elway, one of the best te's in the game, and a very good defense. 7-8 wins this year is about where they will be. he's the perfect coach for donovan at this stage in his career. i love the version of the west coast he runs---very close to a 50/50 run/pass ratio. look out for them next year...if there is a season.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

ok, we are gonna have to bet on this. I say 6 wins, you say 8. so we'll set the O/U at 7. you take the over, I got the under. 7 wins and it's a wash

7 would be a good number. but i don't like betting on another team in our own division. borderline fraudulent.

incidentally the birds over under is 8.5....the skins? well, 7.5. shocking, right? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

If I had to pick one game each of the last 2 years that I thought the eagles would win, I would have picked

2008 - cincinnati
    2009 - oakland

they didn't win either game. so my point is analyzing the schedule and predicting wins/losses is mostly a waste of time in my book. just look at the vegas O/Us for the year. That is the best gauge there is for predicting how teams will do. Eagles are 8.5 this year. I like the under

dude. games like that happen every year. i don't get how you can so emphatically state they will win only 6 games but have no idea who they will be playing.

if you don't care about who is on the schedule, you should stay away from making predictions all together.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Wash will be 7-9 at best,they suck Mcnabb is a fraction of himself. There running backs all 20 of them are old and suck. Mcnabb will be lucky to make it thru 10 games. Santana Moss might benefit from 5 and cooley still decent,other then that there O sucks. I'd say 6-10 as for us i still see 8-8 to 10-6,with 9-7 as the most likely record. D-jack will put up 1200-1450yds hes gonna run wild this year if healthy.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Wash will be 7-9 at best,they suck Mcnabb is a fraction of himself. There running backs all 20 of them are old and suck. Mcnabb will be lucky to make it thru 10 games. Santana Moss might benefit from 5 and cooley still decent,other then that there O sucks. I'd say 6-10 as for us i still see 8-8 to 10-6,with 9-7 as the most likely record. D-jack will put up 1200-1450yds hes gonna run wild this year if healthy.

better hope our o line gets healthy and gels or it will be pretty bad too dude. remember the last 3 games last year? we have no depth.

like i said, washington will be a few games better. we'll be a couple games worse. both teams will be much improved next year.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    The Fixer wrote:

7 would be a good number. but i don't like betting on another team in our own division. borderline fraudulent.

incidentally the birds over under is 8.5....the skins? well, 7.5. shocking, right? :lol:

Eagles over (10-6) , Skins under (but barely, 7-9). i also agree with the assertion that looking at an NFL schedule and predicting wins is kind of irrelevant for 2 reasons. number 1 no one has a clue who will be good come week 8 - so many factors can come into play. 2nd reason is i've always believed in the NFL you are what are you regardless of who you play. Teams in the NFL end up where they should as it all evens out over 16 games. it's why I think the Eagles will be around 10-6 - too much talent (if fairly healthy) to be under .500 in my opinion.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

better hope our o line gets healthy and gels or it will be pretty bad too dude. remember the last 3 games last year? we have no depth.

like i said, washington will be a few games better. we'll be a couple games worse. both teams will be much improved next year.

Is McSlabb signed past this year ?

I think he heads to MINN with Childress next year
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Is McSlabb signed past this year ?

I think he heads to MINN with Childress next year

no. the cba is holding that up.

i could totally see that happening though. good point.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Eagles over (10-6) , Skins under (but barely, 7-9). i also agree with the assertion that looking at an NFL schedule and predicting wins is kind of irrelevant for 2 reasons. number 1 no one has a clue who will be good come week 8 - so many factors can come into play. 2nd reason is i've always believed in the NFL you are what are you regardless of who you play. Teams in the NFL end up where they should as it all evens out over 16 games. it's why I think the Eagles will be around 10-6 - too much talent (if fairly healthy) to be under .500 in my opinion.

there is a lot of factors at play. but if you have no idea who you are playing outside your division, i don't think you have much credibility throwing win/loss predictions out there. big difference between playing teams against the nfc west or the afc east for example.

just saying this is a 10 win team or that team is a 6 win team is kind of pointless if you don't who you are playing or where you are playing them.

either way---i love the banter gentlemen. need to see a lot of improvement friday. final tuneup for the first team. can't wait for 9/12.

GO. BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.