THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    reason number 999,001 why you should actually watch the game instead of looking at a box score.

the eagles ran the ball 50% of the game leading up to the final 2 drives when they were forced to pass more.

edit: sorry i just find it amazing how obsessed the media is with andy's run-pass ratio. front page of the Inquirer sports talks about it again. shouldn't they be more focused on the fact that for the 1st time in franchise history the defense has given up 28 or more points in 7 (or 8, sorry it was late when i heard the stat) straight games. historically bad defense here.

just noticed your edit. see, in football, everything goes hand in hand. when your defense is awful, you want to try and help them out as much as possible. you do that by running the ball consistently like they have these last 2 weeks. prior that they were getting blown out on a weekly basis. last 2 weeks they had a chance to win late in the game....but they didn't....because ultimately the eagles stink. :lol:

but this is a basic premise that most football fans understand...it also clearly helps a rookie qb and a banged up offensive line.

good game plan last night.

a renewed commitment to the run also helped the cowboys last night with murray back on the field. collinsworth talked about that all night.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks wrote:
    reason number 999,001 why you should actually watch the game instead of looking at a box score.

the eagles ran the ball 50% of the game leading up to the final 2 drives when they were forced to pass more.

edit: sorry i just find it amazing how obsessed the media is with andy's run-pass ratio. front page of the Inquirer sports talks about it again. shouldn't they be more focused on the fact that for the 1st time in franchise history the defense has given up 28 or more points in 7 (or 8, sorry it was late when i heard the stat) straight games. historically bad defense here.

just noticed your edit. see, in football, everything goes hand in hand. when your defense is awful, you want to try and help them out as much as possible. you do that by running the ball consistently like they have these last 2 weeks. prior that they were getting blown out on a weekly basis. last 2 weeks they had a chance to win late in the game....but they didn't....because ultimately the eagles stink. :lol:

but this is a basic premise that most football fans understand...it also clearly helps a rookie qb and a banged up offensive line.

a renewed commitment to the run also helped the cowboys last night with murray back on the field. collinsworth talked about that all night.

never argued that with THIS team as it is currently constructed that running the ball consistently is a bad plan. i'm fine with it....but still hasn't produced any wins.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

never argued that with THIS team as it is currently constructed that running the ball consistently is a bad plan. i'm fine with it....but still hasn't produced any wins.

umm, it produced all of their 3 wins...which were the only times they were committed to the run when their star rb was healthy.

and you have argued this for years with this team. last year, with vick struggling and shady breaking out, you wanted to throw it 80% of the time. :lol::lol::lol:

seems like you are coming around though...i think.
    www.myspace.com
    and you have argued this for years with this team. last year, with vick struggling and shady breaking out, you wanted to throw it 80% of the time. :lol::lol::lol:

my argument has always been if you have a good QB and receivers with an offensive line that can consistently protect the QB a pass is almost always a better play. and in previous years we've had that. now we don't.
    pjhawks wrote:

my argument has always been if you have a good QB and receivers with an offensive line that can consistently protect the QB a pass is almost always a better play. and in previous years we've had that. now we don't.

you said this about last year's eagles team. 80% of the time :lol: . it's right here in this thread.

and again, it has produced their only 3 wins of this season.
    www.myspace.com
    Here is a coaching question i have:

why do NFL coaches always accept offensive holding penalties? Last night in the 3rd quarter the Cowboys held on a 2nd and 10 running play from about their own 25 that they gained maybe a yard. so your choice were 3rd and 9 or 2nd and 19. coaches always accept the 2nd and 19 but wasn't the better play there making them go 3rd and 9? the cowboys proceeded to hit Whitton for about 16 yards on 2nd down making it 3rd and 3. and it happens all the time. no one declines offensive holding penalties. i thought at the time that penalty should have been declined leaving them 3rd and 9.
    you also endorsed it a couple weeks ago, with this team. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

why do NFL coaches always accept offensive holding penalties? Last night in the 3rd quarter the Cowboys held on a 2nd and 10 running play from about their own 25 that they gained maybe a yard. so your choice were 3rd and 9 or 2nd and 19. coaches always accept the 2nd and 19 but wasn't the better play there making them go 3rd and 9? the cowboys proceeded to hit Whitton for about 16 yards on 2nd down making it 3rd and 3. and it happens all the time. no one declines offensive holding penalties. i thought at the time that penalty should have been declined leaving them 3rd and 9.

i'd say the percentages of them converting a first down with 2 tries from 19 yards out is slightly more difficult than one try for 9 yards out.

plus if your defense can come up with a stop, you put yourself in better field position which makes it easier to score.
    www.myspace.com
    edited December 2012
    you said this about last year's eagles team. 80% of the time :lol: . it's right here in this thread.

wow banging your chest on 3 wins. fans got their wish though. i'll take 2004 when we threw the ball over the field thank you very much.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks wrote:

i'd say the percentages of them converting a first down with 2 tries from 19 yards out is slightly more difficult than one try for 9 yards out.

plus if your defense can come up with a stop, you put yourself in better field position which makes it easier to score.

but the cowboys were one of the worst 3rd down teams in the league. and romo was in the bottom 3 or 4 in passer rating on 3rd down coming into the game. i don't know, i think in THAT situation one play at 3rd and 9 is better for the eagles than 2 plays. and defensive teams get so passive on 2nd and 19 that it seems like at best it always end up back to the original 3rd down yardage anyway.
    edited December 2012
    pjhawks wrote:

wow banging your chest on 3 wins. fans got their wish though. i'll take 2004 when we through the ball over the field thank you very much.

you said it has produced no wins this year...in the 3 games they actually committed to the run before their rb got hurt, it actually produced their only 3 wins. not pounding my chest. that is ridiculous. i am just correcting your inaccurate statement. the wish is that they would do it on a consistent basis, because it works. but they don't. :?

in 2004, the eagles, with arguably their best offense in team history combined with the best qb/wr tandem in qb history, threw it 59% of the time. perfect for that team. you would have preferred to throw it 20% more of the time.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

but the cowboys were one of the worst 3rd down teams in the league. and romo was in the bottom 3 or 4 in passer rating on 3rd down coming into the game. i don't know, i think in THAT situation one play at 3rd and 9 is better for the eagles than 2 plays. and defensive teams get so passive on 2nd and 19 that it seems like at best it always end up back to the original 3rd down yardage anyway.

romo was on fire on 3rd downs last night against our defense. and we are the worst 3rd down team in the league.

like i said, it's probably slightly more advantageous to take the penalty. and throw in the field position...there is your answer.
    www.myspace.com
    by the way, eriedave is correct, silver linings playbook is an amazing movie. i loved every minute of it.
    www.myspace.com
    romo was on fire on 3rd downs last night against our defense. and we are the worst 3rd down team in the league.

like i said, it's probably slightly more advantageous to take the penalty. and throw in the field position...there is your answer.

fair enough. was just something i questionned seeing it last night because it seems like coaches don't even consider not accepting that penalty. sometimes i think they should.

and another observation (other than i've totally skipped doing any work this morning) why do we insist on having the coaches throw a flag for a challenge? it almost 2013 can't we come up with a better system? i'd prefer to give the coaches a taser and have them taze the ref for a challenge. now who wouldn't want to see that?

and why can't we put the tv 1st down line for the refs on the replay? shouldn't they use that technology to their advantage?
    pjhawks wrote:

fair enough. was just something i questionned seeing it last night because it seems like coaches don't even consider not accepting that penalty. sometimes i think they should.

and another observation (other than i've totally skipped doing any work this morning) why do we insist on having the coaches throw a flag for a challenge? it almost 2013 can't we come up with a better system? i'd prefer to give the coaches a taser and have them taze the ref for a challenge. now who wouldn't want to see that?

and why can't we put the tv 1st down line for the refs on the replay? shouldn't they use that technology to their advantage?

luckily (or unluckily) i always work a later shift on mondays. so i have all monday morning to bitch and complain about this stupid team. :lol:

what the nfl should do is have a replay official up in the booth. it would speed things up a little bit.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Bye Bye wide 9!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    candice-crawford-bikini-picture_display_image.jpg?1319723712

That is pretty fantastic
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Foles will start for the remaining games this season. Good call, give him the experience. I have to say that I was very impressed with his play last night. I did not have the "crap, what will Vick do next" jitters. I always felt that Vick had the "crazy factor" as one of his options to select from when a play starts breaking down, and typically he went to that option way too fast.

Foles was at ease and handled it well, was nice seeing the Eagles make some progress with a "normal" QB
    andy reid just needs to look at this as a learning experience. next time hire the defensive coordinator before hiring the defensive line coach. :lol: what a mess. juanita--haha

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... f-players/

Jim Washburn called Juan Castillo “Juanita” in front of players
    Posted by Michael David Smith on December 3, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
    APThe two assistant coaches Andy Reid has fired this season apparently did not get along.

Jim Washburn, the Eagles defensive line coach who was fired this morning, had so little respect for Juan Castillo, the Eagles defensive coordinator who was fired earlier this season, that Washburn would openly show contempt for Castillo in front of players, according to a report from Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com.

The report cites one veteran defensive player as saying that Washburn would either ignore Castillo entirely or confront him in a condescending manner. And Washburn would also call Castillo “Juanita” in front of players.

If true, Washburn is both a jerk and a grown man with the maturity of a typical 8-year-old boy. We noted last season that there were reports that Washburn was a major problem in Philadelphia, openly criticizing the offensive playcalling among other things. It doesn’t speak well for Reid as a head coach if that kind of thing was going on within his coaching staff and Reid didn’t put a stop to it.

At least, Reid didn’t put a stop to it until it was too late. Reid fired Castillo after Week Six, but that didn’t fix anything: Since Reid fired Castillo, the Eagles have gone 0-6, and they’ve given up at least 28 points in all six games — a point total they didn’t give up in any game this season before they fired Castillo. So it’s safe to say that Castillo was far from the only problem in Philadelphia.

Washburn said before the season that if the defensive line didn’t get better, he deserved to get fired. Maybe Reid shouldn’t have waited so long to fire Washburn.
    www.myspace.com
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    also having a lot of fun becasue Foles looks like Napoleon Dynamite: "Gosh!"
    bob griffin the 3rd is so fun to watch. he's like a smarter, stronger, more accurate version of randall.

morris is a beast too.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    bob griffin the 3rd is so fun to watch. he's like a smarter, stronger, more accurate version of randall.

morris is a beast too.

Juggs, do me a favor and remove your mouth from the mans nutsack :lol:

In all seriousness. It would be really hard for him to be bad in that system with that athleticism. He is put in a good situation on almost every play. Lots of play action, lots of running, lots of high percentage passes with one or two (at most) possible targets and an occasional shot down the field. It's just that there are so many options.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

morris is a beast too.

In all seriousness. It would be really hard for him to be bad in that system with that athleticism. He is put in a good situation on almost every play. Lots of play action, lots of running, lots of high percentage passes with one or two (at most) possible targets and an occasional shot down the field. It's just that there are so many options.

sour grapes maybe cliff? lil bit? :lol:

guy's having one of the best rookie seasons a quarterback has ever had. gotta tip your cap.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

morris is a beast too.

guy's having one of the best rookie seasons a quarterback has ever had. gotta tip your cap.

Quite possible. ;)

Dude is going to be good, is athletic as shit and his coaches have put him in a good situation but let's make it through the leauge a couple times before we get all crazy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Quite possible. ;)

Dude is going to be good, is athletic as shit and his coaches have put him in a good situation but let's make it through the leauge a couple times before we get all crazy.

well i'm not putting him in canton :lol:

you're right about the system the redskins have him in though, it's clearly benefiting him (the eagles seem to have an opposite approach with their players). having a rb like morris in the backfield with him helps too. he reminds me of earnest byner. but their defense is really banged up. his receivers are average to slightly above average plus davis is out for the year. he's doing a lot, with not much to work with. it's just impressive.

good game last night.
    www.myspace.com

you're right about the system the redskins have him in though, it's clearly benefiting him (the eagles seem to have an opposite approach with their players). having a rb like morris in the backfield with him helps too. he reminds me of earnest byner. but their defense is really banged up. his receivers are average to slightly above average plus davis is out for the year. he's doing a lot, with not much to work with. it's just impressive.

good game last night.

Ha, yeah, I'm just sick of him, just like I was sick of Cam Newton last year.

Yeah, I was thinking last night that if the eagles had a similar approach with Vick, they would have been a lot better. Quick runs, high percentage passes with one or two options, play action and not standing in the pocket for 37 seconds.

That was an incredibly low scoring game for the amount of defense played.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

good game last night.

Ha, yeah, I'm just sick of him, just like I was sick of Cam Newton last year.

Yeah, I was thinking last night that if the eagles had a similar approach with Vick, they would have been a lot better. Quick runs, high percentage passes with one or two options, play action and not standing in the pocket for 37 seconds.

That was an incredibly low scoring game for the amount of defense played.

instead the eagles made him throw the ball as much as aaron rogers does. :roll:

this guy's way better than cam newton was last year.
    www.myspace.com
    http://www.the700level.com/football-phi ... eedID=8510

But what really caught our eye was the true wisdom of young 4th grader Sam Smith when asked about his favorite team, the Philadelphia Eagles.

"Even though they're not very good this year, they were good in 2004."

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    bucs will be celebrating their 10 year super bowl anniversary at halftime tomorrow.

as if we didn't need another kick to the nuts this season. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
  • Foles has HEART!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
This discussion has been closed.