THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    andy reid's teams never quit on him and usually get better throughout the course of the year (as reid supporters love to say). but their season usually ends in early january.

tom coughlin's teams never quit on him and usually get better throughout the course of the year. they are in their 2nd super bowl in 4 years.

sadly, the eagles have become the poor man's giants.....son of a... :x

imagine how good this Giant's team would be with the Eagles superior defense :lol::lol::lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    andy reid's teams never quit on him and usually get better throughout the course of the year (as reid supporters love to say). but their season usually ends in early january.

tom coughlin's teams never quit on him and usually get better throughout the course of the year. they are in their 2nd super bowl in 4 years.

Maybe if Reid would've changed the signals so Kolb wasn't calling plays out for his team's defense it could've been the Eagles beating the 49ers yesterday. Absolute atrocity. Can't wait for 2012! :roll: But hey, we won the last 4 games. :twisted:

we used to be the poor man's patriots....now we're the poor man's giants.

just when you thought things couldn't get any worse with this team. ugh.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Maybe if Reid would've changed the signals so Kolb wasn't calling plays out for his team's defense it could've been the Eagles beating the 49ers yesterday. Absolute atrocity. Can't wait for 2012! :roll: But hey, we won the last 4 games. :twisted:

Gotta do a better job...
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

we used to be the poor man's patriots....now we're the poor man's giants.

just when you thought things couldn't get any worse with this team. ugh.

Could be poor man's Cowboys

:x
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Any chance we can get Peyton to back up Vick after he attempts to slide and gets hurt in the 1st game?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    Any chance we can get Peyton to back up Vick after he attempts to slide and gets hurt in the 1st game?

Peyton backing up Vick. :lol::lol::lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    BTW, Celek was involved in an accident last night. He's ok. The driver got a DUI. When will these millionaires learn that they have plenty of money to buy some transportation?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    draft stuff. mayock's top 5 at every position:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012 ... 012-draft/
    www.myspace.com

juggler here are some numbers for you that i posted about a month or so ago in response to your comments in the Big 5 thread about finding nfl coaches to go better than 9-7. these are numbers for coaches who were active since Reid took over here. as the numbers below show it's not nearly as easy as you think to find a better coach based on the numbers.

* Number of coaches since 1999 with a 60% or better winning percentage: 16 total (14.16% based on 113 coaches), 9 who are currently active (reid, bellichick, mike smith, john harbaugh, mike mccarthy, sean payton, mike tomlin, norv turner (record with san diego only), and Jim Harbaugh (very small sample size for him).

* Number of coaches replaced since 1999 who had a 60% or better winning percentage: 7

* of those 7 only 1 coach has had a better record than predecessor (mike tomlin over bill cowher).

* Number of coaches replaced since 1999 with over 50% winning percentage: 28

* of those 28 replaced with a better than 50% winning percentage the next coach has had a better record 7 times (25%), 20 times a worse record (71.42) and 1 with the same record (3.57%)

* 28 coaches have been replaced with a 7-9 or better record since 1999

* of those 28, 10 franchises (35.71%) have had a better record the following year, 15 (53.57%) with a worse record and 3 with the same record (10.71%)
  • pjhawks wrote:

juggler here are some numbers for you that i posted about a month or so ago in response to your comments in the Big 5 thread about finding nfl coaches to go better than 9-7. these are numbers for coaches who were active since Reid took over here. as the numbers below show it's not nearly as easy as you think to find a better coach based on the numbers.

* Number of coaches since 1999 with a 60% or better winning percentage: 16 total (14.16% based on 113 coaches), 9 who are currently active (reid, bellichick, mike smith, john harbaugh, mike mccarthy, sean payton, mike tomlin, norv turner (record with san diego only), and Jim Harbaugh (very small sample size for him).

* Number of coaches replaced since 1999 who had a 60% or better winning percentage: 7

* of those 7 only 1 coach has had a better record than predecessor (mike tomlin over bill cowher).

* of those 28 replaced with a better than 50% winning percentage the next coach has had a better record 7 times (25%), 20 times a worse record (71.42) and 1 with the same record (3.57%)

* of those 28, 10 franchises (35.71%) have had a better record the following year, 15 (53.57%) with a worse record and 3 with the same record (10.71%)

Most teams that fire a coach are down in the dumps and in rebuilding mode, and the new coach does more tearing down than building up in the first year. Competitive teams like the 2002 Bucs :twisted: and the Steelers after Cowler left do just fine with a new coach, and sometimes it puts them over the edge.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:

Most teams that fire a coach are down in the dumps and in rebuilding mode, and the new coach does more tearing down than building up in the first year. Competitive teams like the 2002 Bucs :twisted: and the Steelers after Cowler left do just fine with a new coach, and sometimes it puts them over the edge.

but the numbers i posted above are about winning coaches leaving or being asked to leave. only 1 in 7 has a team found a replacement that has posted better numbers in 17 years when replacing a coach with a 60% of better career winnign percentage. and even getting rid of coaches who were 7-9 or better hasn't proven to be effective in the following year. only 35% have had a better record in the immediate following year after a 7-9 or better records. again facts over the past 17 years don't back up your assertions.
    Juanderful! Doesn't really matter who the DC is if the offense turns the ball over 97,000 times.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    pjhawks wrote:

any numbers that date back 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12 years ago are worthless. he's been in charge of a mediocre football team for 7 long years now. nothing more. nothing less. 7 years is a long time to be mediocore.
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Juanderful! Doesn't really matter who the DC is if the offense turns the ball over 97,000 times.

it's pretty funny that todd bowles was interviewing for head coaching positions in the past few weeks and now will be reporting to juan fucking castillo next year. should be the other way around. :?

i don't get it. i just don't get it.
    www.myspace.com
    the eagles aslo tried to interview bowles for the defensive coordinator spot last year but miami didn't allow it.
    www.myspace.com
    [any numbers that date back 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12 years ago are worthless. he's been in charge of a mediocre football team for 7 long years now. nothing more. nothing less. 7 years is a long time to be mediocore.

you are just dismissing the facts because they don't support your thoughts. fact is teams that have gone 7-9 or better and replaced a coach have only improved 35% of the time the very next year in the past decade or so in the NFL. are you willing to bet on that 35% for the Eagles next year?

and let me ask you this then Juggler - is there any new head coaches who were hired this year in the NFL that you would prefer that Eagles have over Reid? How does Greg Schiano and is less than .500 Big East record look as a new coach? if there is one you would prefer let me know.
    edited January 2012
    pjhawks wrote:
    [any numbers that date back 7, 8, 9 10, 11, 12 years ago are worthless. he's been in charge of a mediocre football team for 7 long years now. nothing more. nothing less. 7 years is a long time to be mediocore.

you are just dismissing the facts because they don't support your thoughts. fact is teams that have gone 7-9 or better and replaced a coach have only improved 35% of the time the very next year in the past decade or so in the NFL. are you willing to bet on that 35% for the Eagles next year?

and let me ask you this then Juggler - is there any new head coaches who were hired this year in the NFL that you would prefer that Eagles have over Reid? How does Greg Schiano and is less than .500 Big East record look as a new coach? if there is one you would prefer let me know.

no i'm not. i'm kind of dismissing them only because they take his 13 years as a whole instead of realizing an actual 7 year trend of mediocrity. and i have no idea where you got your numbers from anyway. but what does it matter if you take a step back (one game) to take a step forward when you have no faith that your current coach can win you a super bowl anyway? the guy can't even win a playoff game right now....and has now let his arrogance get in the way (yet again) of atoning for one of the dumbest promotions in the history of the franchise.

i listed quite a few coaches i would have had my eye on had the eagles let reid go...back when this was actually up for discussion a couple months ago.

the point is the guy has been about a .500 coach for the last 7 years. what he did a decade ago (with different players and a different coaching staff) has no bearing on where he's at now....now that i think about it, i kinda like spags going to new orleans actually. he's setting himself up for a 2nd shot at a head coaching gig this time next year if the saints defense improves and they make a deep run. ;);)

it's just amazing to me how scared people are of change. good coach in his day. but sometimes you reach a point where it's good for both parties to go their desperate ways. i believe we've reached that point. i hope i'm wrong. i hope they win the super bowl next year. not too confident though...
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • I don't understand how somebody could've actually watched all those shitty games this year and still not believe that a coaching change is needed. Just open your fucking eyes! Yeah, that goes for you Mr. Lurie. :twisted:

And then the crappy team you let win the division by one of those giveaway games goes to the goddam Super Bowl to top it off.

• Dream Team debacle. So sick of being let down.
    I knew it all along, see?
    pjhawks wrote:

no i'm not. i'm kind of dismissing them only because they take his 13 years as a whole instead of realizing an actual 7 year trend of mediocrity. and i have no idea where you got your numbers from anyway. but what does it matter if you take a step back (one game) to take a step forward when you have no faith that your current coach can win you a super bowl anyway? the guy can't even win a playoff game right now....and has now let his arrogance get in the way (yet again) of atoning for one of the dumbest promotions in the history of the franchise.

i listed quite a few coaches i would have had my eye on had the eagles let reid go...back when this was actually up for discussion a couple months ago.

the point is the guy has been about a .500 coach for the last 7 years. what he did a decade ago (with different players and a different coaching staff) has no bearing on where he's at now....now that i think about it, i kinda like spags going to new orleans actually. he's setting himself up for a 2nd shot at a head coaching gig this time next year if the saints defense improves and they make a deep run. ;);)

it's just amazing to me how scared people are of change. good coach in his day. but sometimes you reach a point where it's good for both parties to go their desperate ways. i believe we've reached that point. i hope i'm wrong. i hope they win the super bowl next year. not too confident though...

62-50 regular season for a 55% winning percentage in past 7 years (7 years ago was TO/Mike McMahon debacle of 6-10). 58% in last 6 years which is not far off his career average. I have to look at all other teams to see where those numbers fall league-wide but i imagine it's better than mediocre.

3-4 in the playoffs in those 6 and 7 year splits as well. again have to look up the other teams to see where that falls.

i will check those out when i get a chance, maybe tonight.
    30min until Andy comes out to see his shadow. This presser should be very interesting or very boring.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    JK_Livin wrote:
    30min until Andy comes out to see his shadow. This presser should be very interesting or very boring.

Giants have a press conference today too. ;) :thumbup:
    JK_Livin wrote:

i love it. the media has been bitching that he hasn't spoken since the end of the season...and he is going to come out and say absolutely nothing which is going to piss them off. 'got to do a better job there'
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Ha ha. Andy should've waited until 6:30 on Sunday for his. It would be his perfect audience with no questions.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Ha ha. Andy should've waited until 6:30 on Sunday for his. It would be his perfect audience with no questions.

haha, yeah, seems to be the way he likes it.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Did you thank Kevin Kolb for telling the Cards what the Eagles D was gonna do on their game winning drive? Or, how about the dumbass coaches for NOT CHANGING THE SIGNALS. Without that, Giants would've missed the playoffs. :roll:

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Did you thank Kevin Kolb for telling the Cards what the Eagles D was gonna do on their game winning drive? Or, how about the dumbass coaches for NOT CHANGING THE SIGNALS. Without that, Giants would've missed the playoffs. :roll:

I did hear that, that is pretty dumb and stubborn. A bunch of breaks went the Giants way but all that matters is that they're there. I thought the season was over multiple times but I'll gladly take it
    edited January 2012
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

62-50 regular season for a 55% winning percentage in past 7 years (7 years ago was TO/Mike McMahon debacle of 6-10). 58% in last 6 years which is not far off his career average. I have to look at all other teams to see where those numbers fall league-wide but i imagine it's better than mediocre.

3-4 in the playoffs in those 6 and 7 year splits as well. again have to look up the other teams to see where that falls.

i will check those out when i get a chance, maybe tonight.

a 55% winning percentage per season equates to 8.8 wins per year. 3 playoff wins in the last 7 years. none in the last 3. steady decline each of past few years. that's the definition of mediocrity. that is not good enough.

you are so adverse to even the most basic kind of stats in other conversations but are married to these ones here. that's kinda funny.

even if someone were to play along with your 35% chance of having a better record the following year with a different coach i still wouldn't go along with that for a couple reasons.

1-i'm of the belief that the current coach, based on about a decade and half's worth of watching him, is incapable of winning a super bowl. so i would not mind taking a step or two back to make a leap forward (that i dont believe reid can make) later.

2-most importantly, in the history of almost a century of professional football there is only 1 instance of a coach hanging around as long as reid who hasn't won anything that eventually won a championship. so 35% or 1 in a 100?

meanwhile the giants are in their 2nd super bowl in the last 5 years. :x
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

there are no answers given so what does it matter? :lol:
    www.myspace.com

meanwhile the giants are in their 2nd super bowl in the last 5 years. :x

Giants defense sucks and our's is better though right? :roll:

and i'm not sure the 'he can't win a super bowl' theory. he was 'this' close in a game that the other coach was convicted of cheating in so i don't buy that. give him the right players and right situation he surely could win one.

anyway just because i thought it was interesting here are the numbers from the last 7 and 6 year periods that you have defined as mediocre. take them as you like.

7 years regular season: 11th in the NFL in total wins
    7 years playoffs: tied for 6th in appearances with 4
    7 years playoffs: 11th in wins

6 years regular season: 10th in the NFL in total wins
    6 years playoffs: tied for 4th with 5 other teams with 4 appearances
    6 years playoffs: 10th in wins

grant you not great and not earth shattering but i think it shows that reid hasn't lost as much on his fastball as some eagles fans like to think. and i would be willing to bet those 6 and 7 years are better than any other 6 and 7 year period in franchise history other than reid's prior years.

take it whatever way you like. just providing numbers because i said i would.
This discussion has been closed.