THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    eagles have to win these next 2 before the bye....

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011 ... -line-play

Anatomy Of An Awful Goal Line Play

Two days later and I still can't wrap my head around the Ronnie Brown play. Of all the hard to explain, crazy things that have happened this season, that one may be the worst. It may have been the most poorly planned, ill-executed single play that I've ever seen. Let's break it down.

First, here's what Andy Reid had to say when asked about that particular play.

"Well, you know what, I didn't do a very good job on that one. I probably should have done a different play right there. And he did have a run pass option."

The video is below, so try to checking out the first few moments a few a times and you'll notice a few things. First, Andy says it was a run/pass option. Pretty much every option play I've ever seen starts with the RB going parallel to the line of scrimmage, because that gives the back some actual room to throw. On this play, Ronnie Brown is running directly at the line, so if he did have an option to pass, I have no idea how he would have ever used it (well, we know how he used it...). Then, you'll see that just one guy goes out on a pass pattern. That appears to be Clay Harbor, who is lined up on the left. He actually looks like he might have been open, but it didn't really matter because the guy he was lined up against at the snap, flies by him and grabs Ronnie Brown almost as soon as he is handed the ball. In the meantime, Owen Schmitt was just standing there not blocking anyone or seemingly doing anything at all.

To compound the problem Brown faced, guard Kyle Devan had fallen on the ground in front of him. So even if the rusher hadn't come clean, he still would have had to leap over his own guy, who fell down presumably trying to pull block. This is quite literally a case of the Eagles getting in their own way.

And if you look at the rest of the line... Jason Kelce gets driven back, Brent Celek is pushed all the way into the backfield and Todd Herremans is pushed back as well (and he's not one of these "undersized" guys). Only Jason Peters and King Dunlap appear to get any kid of push. So even if all the things I described in the first couple paragraphs hadn't gone wrong, the play still had very little chance of success because it simply wasn't blocked at all.

And then of course, the coup de gras. Ronnie Brown inexplicably just throws the ball away as he's being tackled. It was like putting on big absurd cherry on top of a fail sundae
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,430
    eagles have to win these next 2 before the bye....

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011 ... -line-play

Anatomy Of An Awful Goal Line Play

Two days later and I still can't wrap my head around the Ronnie Brown play. Of all the hard to explain, crazy things that have happened this season, that one may be the worst. It may have been the most poorly planned, ill-executed single play that I've ever seen. Let's break it down.

First, here's what Andy Reid had to say when asked about that particular play.

"Well, you know what, I didn't do a very good job on that one. I probably should have done a different play right there. And he did have a run pass option."

The video is below, so try to checking out the first few moments a few a times and you'll notice a few things. First, Andy says it was a run/pass option. Pretty much every option play I've ever seen starts with the RB going parallel to the line of scrimmage, because that gives the back some actual room to throw. On this play, Ronnie Brown is running directly at the line, so if he did have an option to pass, I have no idea how he would have ever used it (well, we know how he used it...). Then, you'll see that just one guy goes out on a pass pattern. That appears to be Clay Harbor, who is lined up on the left. He actually looks like he might have been open, but it didn't really matter because the guy he was lined up against at the snap, flies by him and grabs Ronnie Brown almost as soon as he is handed the ball. In the meantime, Owen Schmitt was just standing there not blocking anyone or seemingly doing anything at all.

To compound the problem Brown faced, guard Kyle Devan had fallen on the ground in front of him. So even if the rusher hadn't come clean, he still would have had to leap over his own guy, who fell down presumably trying to pull block. This is quite literally a case of the Eagles getting in their own way.

And if you look at the rest of the line... Jason Kelce gets driven back, Brent Celek is pushed all the way into the backfield and Todd Herremans is pushed back as well (and he's not one of these "undersized" guys). Only Jason Peters and King Dunlap appear to get any kid of push. So even if all the things I described in the first couple paragraphs hadn't gone wrong, the play still had very little chance of success because it simply wasn't blocked at all.

And then of course, the coup de gras. Ronnie Brown inexplicably just throws the ball away as he's being tackled. It was like putting on big absurd cherry on top of a fail sundae

personally i think Reid is just covering for his player here and Brown just royally fucked up.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I dont think Brown was just tossing the ball for no reason

If you see the side angle replay Owen Schmitt (the goal line assassin) is standing there looking to the backfield

I bet he was the intended target
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Posts: 12,158
    edited October 2011
    Post edited by The Waiting Trophy Man on
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,802
    still early. now if we lose to the niners next week then i'm gonna start worrying.

also anyone know when Vince Young is gonna be healthy? :?

well i guess i can start worrying then :roll: :lol: another awful game. Doesn't get any easier with Buffalo next week. I think I'll pick Buffalo to win in my pool, then maybe the eagles will win :problem:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • still early. now if we lose to the niners next week then i'm gonna start worrying.

also anyone know when Vince Young is gonna be healthy? :?

well i guess i can start worrying then :roll: :lol: another awful game. Doesn't get any easier with Buffalo next week. I think I'll pick Buffalo to win in my pool, then maybe the eagles will win :problem:

lol, I've had similar thoughts.

Definitely a must-win for the Eagles. Gonna be interesting.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self

If you see the side angle replay Owen Schmitt (the goal line assassin) is standing there looking to the backfield

oh it was absolutely designed...just incredibly badly. not even a question. the first words out of browns mouth after the game was that he had the option to pass (just shouldn't have done so as he was falling to the ground :lol: )

i'm actually sorry for posting this. i want to just erase that game from my mind from this point forward. :x
    www.myspace.com

oh it was absolutely designed...just incredibly badly. not even a question. the first words out of browns mouth after the game was that he had the option to pass (just shouldn't have done so as he was falling to the ground :lol: )

i'm actually sorry for posting this. i want to just erase that game from my mind from this point forward. :x
    At least Keith Byars could throw

;)

watkins finally gets a start
    www.myspace.com
    watkins finally gets a start

For the Flyers or Iggles ?

;)

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518

RONNIE-BROWN-PASS-ATTEMPT.gif
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:

steelers look pretty good this year.
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    my dream scenario...vick gets his leg broken theismann-style and his career ends. eagles are forced to start vince young the rest of the year and go 1-15, leading to andrew luck in green next year :thumbup:
    The Fixer wrote:
    my dream scenario...vick gets his leg broken theismann-style and his career ends. eagles are forced to start vince young the rest of the year and go 1-15, leading to andrew luck in green next year :thumbup:

if reid somehow gets canned then i think a lot of us will go along with that pipe dream :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    who was he trying to pass the ball too. :lol: sorry...first time i've actually seen the play
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    who was he trying to pass the ball too. :lol: sorry...first time i've actually seen the play

owen schmidt. his only other option was clay harbor. why? because maclin, jackson, avant, and mccoy were all on the sidelines. brilliant call!
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

if reid somehow gets canned then i think a lot of us will go along with that pipe dream :mrgreen:

I missed sunday. was it seriously reid's fault?

also, who would you replace him with? I'd be open to replacing him with someone better, I just don't think that candidate exists
    81 wrote:

owen schmidt. his only other option was clay harbor. why? because maclin, jackson, avant, and mccoy were all on the sidelines. brilliant call!

where's chad hall when you need him??
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

also, who would you replace him with? I'd be open to replacing him with someone better, I just don't think that candidate exists

go look at the post about this play call. goal line situation. all of the top weapons are on the sidelines. they give it to ronnie brown and let him have an option to pass it. he gets tackled right away and inexplicitly trys to throw it to owen schmidt as he is falling to the ground. niners recover. horrendous.

long way to go still but if they fail to make the playoffs, i think you have to make a change. i'm tired of seeing the same mistakes for the past 13 years.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i hear Tony Dungy and Bill Cowers are getting tired of sitting in the booth.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

go look at the post about this play call. goal line situation. all of the top weapons are on the sidelines. they give it to ronnie brown and let him have an option to pass it. he gets tackled right away and inexplicitly trys to throw it to owen schmidt as he is falling to the ground. niners recover. horrendous.

long way to go still but if they fail to make the playoffs, i think you have to make a change. i'm tired of seeing the same mistakes for the past 13 years.

I will admit that one of reid's weaknesses (which I really feel like started within the last 5 years or so) has been their goal line offense inside of the 5 yard line. it all started with the all-too-predictable shovel pass...continued with the wildcat to desean jackson and chad hall...and has now hit it's low point (hopefully). I think he tries to outsmart himself rather than just sticking to basics.

can't tell from that video, but if brown was trying to throw shouldn't it be an incomplete pass??

also, I think if you're going to get rid of him you have to be sure you are replacing him with someone better.

like you said, it's only 4 games. they usually have one game during the year where everyone thinks it's a gimme win and they lose (or tie cincy...but oakland, arizona at home years ago with the 4th qtr comeback led by plummer, etc...there's always one game). this year they got it out of the way early (you could say two games with the giants). the good thing is that the NFC East still looks winnable, even with the eagles looking so bad early on. being 1-3 in the conference makes it virtually imperative to win the division

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think the QB is more of a problem than the fans want to admit. Certainly not the sole source of blame, but I think he's more of a problem than a solution
    81 wrote:
    i hear Tony Dungy and Bill Cowers are getting tired of sitting in the booth.....

yeah, and jon gruden too right?

eh
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I will admit that one of reid's weaknesses (which I really feel like started within the last 5 years or so) has been their goal line offense inside of the 5 yard line. it all started with the all-too-predictable shovel pass...continued with the wildcat to desean jackson and chad hall...and has now hit it's low point (hopefully). I think he tries to outsmart himself rather than just sticking to basics.

can't tell from that video, but if brown was trying to throw shouldn't it be an incomplete pass??

also, I think if you're going to get rid of him you have to be sure you are replacing him with someone better.

like you said, it's only 4 games. they usually have one game during the year where everyone thinks it's a gimme win and they lose (or tie cincy...but oakland, arizona at home years ago with the 4th qtr comeback led by plummer, etc...there's always one game). this year they got it out of the way early (you could say two games with the giants). the good thing is that the NFC East still looks winnable, even with the eagles looking so bad early on. being 1-3 in the conference makes it virtually imperative to win the division

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think the QB is more of a problem than the fans want to admit. Certainly not the sole source of blame, but I think he's more of a problem than a solution

i think they ruled it wasn't a forward pass so it was a fumble. could be wrong.

the qb played a fucking great game on sunday dude. he's not the problem. that's the thing with reid supporters, there's been an endless string of excuses going on a decade and a half now. he coaches and picks his own players. and he's drafted really poorly especially on the defensive side of the ball for about 6 years now. that catches up a team eventually.

like with mcnabb a couple years ago, sometimes you just reach a point where a change is needed. maybe a fresh face can take this talent to the next level.

i agree it is still early and they always lose games they shouldn't (which is horrendous). but they've never blown three 4th quarter leads in a row. good teams should not do that.

they really have to win their next 2 games before the bye.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

eh

not a big gruden fan but this would be a very similiar situation to what he inherited in tampa.
    www.myspace.com
    if vick played a great game on sunday then it's the first time he's done so this year.

maybe it is time for a change. it worked for the flyers. I just love andy reid...he's done so much for this organization. I find it hard to believe that a replacement would do a better job. I honestly think the chances of that happening are slim to none.

long way to go...we'll see how the next few weeks play out. hopefully all of the new players and coaches start to figure things out this week and we look back at this and laugh come january. sometimes adversity can be a good thing
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:

eh

not a big gruden fan but this would be a very similiar situation to what he inherited in tampa.

good point. not sure I agree though. he inherited a SB caliber defense in TB. all he had to do was tweak the offense (his specialty). who knows how he would be at building/tweaking what looks like an average defense.

he's been here and has admitted he loves philly, so it would probably be a fit if the eagles ever asked. I'm not a huge gruden fan, but I'd take him over cowher or dungy
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos wrote:

steelers look pretty good this year.
    Can't get enough of that video.

Better than the 'Dream Team' ;) . You're the one who didn't want to bet. At least they only lost the ones they were supposed too. :oops:
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

It's all Goodell's fault. He should have changed that rule.
    #FHP
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

eh

good point. not sure I agree though. he inherited a SB caliber defense in TB. all he had to do was tweak the offense (his specialty). who knows how he would be at building/tweaking what looks like an average defense.

he's been here and has admitted he loves philly, so it would probably be a fit if the eagles ever asked. I'm not a huge gruden fan, but I'd take him over cowher or dungy

but this d could be sb caliber if they didn't ignore the lb position, had a competent saftey, a coordinator who wasn't learning on the job. they're not far off. offense is super bowl caliber.

also regarding vick--yeah it was his first "great" or very good game of the year...but it was only the 2nd game he finshed before getting knocked out. gruden also loves him. i think that would be interesting to see how that would work out.

season's only a quarter of the way through though. this time last year nobody thought green bay would go all the way. these next 2 games are absolute must wins.
    www.myspace.com
    but this d could be sb caliber if they didn't ignore the lb position, had a competent saftey, a coordinator who wasn't learning on the job. they're not far off. offense is super bowl caliber.

also regarding vick--yeah it was his first "great" or very good game of the year...but it was only the 2nd game he finshed before getting knocked out. gruden also loves him. i think that would be interesting to see how that would work out.

season's only a quarter of the way through though. this time last year nobody thought green bay would go all the way. these next 2 games are absolute must wins.

I wouldn't go must win yet. they could lose to buffalo and still conceivably win the division.

I was going to bring up GB...if they keep playing like they have the first four weeks it won't matter where the birds finish. rodgers is the best player in football. rodgers vs vick would be the biggest qb playoff mismatch since stan humphries vs steve young
    The Fixer wrote:

I wouldn't go must win yet. they could lose to buffalo and still conceivably win the division.

I was going to bring up GB...if they keep playing like they have the first four weeks it won't matter where the birds finish. rodgers is the best player in football. rodgers vs vick would be the biggest qb playoff mismatch since stan humphries vs steve young

it is an absolute must win dude. there may have only been a couple teams ever to start 1-4 and make the playoffs. they have to win these next two. (they'd probably have to go at least 9-2 the rest of the way if the lose sunday)

your vick hatred is funny. i think he's 10th in passer rating right now with a concussion and a badly sprained hand. on the list of things wrong with this team, the quarterback isn't even on it. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.