THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited May 2010
    crazypjfan wrote:

Yeah, when you grow up around Cowboys football and go to their home games as a kid, you become attached.

Don't question me. I'm sorry that you chose to root for the eagles. Have fun there ;)

I KNEW THIS GUY WAS A FUCKING FRAUD. Fucking knew it! As a REAL fan of a team from MY city, let me just say it's fucking almost May and I have two other professional sports teams that represent MY city to worry about. So go wallow in your Dallas thread...or your pathetic attempt at your 50 years without a championship thread because it doesn't begin and end with one team here. Know what feeling I experienced in October of 2008 that you'll NEVER experience in your lifetime? The feeling of MY team from MY city winning it all. Now go jump back on the tailgate of that bandwagon before it pulls away without you.

passion. nothing fraudulent about that.

god bless america.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... gles_.html
    Paul Domowitch: Is Shipley ready to be center of attention for Eagles?
    POSTED: May 1, 2010 By Paul Domowitch

Daily News Sports Columnist

WHEN THE EAGLES open the season at the Linc in 4 1/2 months against the Green Bay Packers and their 3-4 defense, somebody is going to be playing center for them. We just don't know who, and probably won't for a while.

Unless he's a really, really quick healer, it isn't likely to be Jamaal Jackson, who has started 63 of the Eagles' last 64 regular-season games, but is recovering from surgery to repair the ACL he tore in late December. He isn't participating in this week's minicamp, won't be participating in any of the team's other spring camps, and is doubtful for training camp and the preseason as well.

It might be Nick Cole or Mike McGlynn, who split the first-team snaps at yesterday's first minicamp practice. Cole, who started 15 games at right guard last season, slid over to center for the Eagles' two season-ending losses to the Cowboys. Let's just say things went a lot better for him at guard than center and leave it at that.

McGlynn? Who knows? The 2008 fourth-round draft pick was activated for just one regular-season game and never left the sideline for that one.

Dallas Reynolds? He spent most of last season on the practice squad, but went to BYU, which always is a good place to be from when Andy Reid is your coach.

It definitely won't be anybody the Eagles got in the draft because, well, none of their 150 selections were offensive linemen, let alone centers.

When asked 4 weeks ago at the league meetings if the Eagles would miss Jackson if he's not ready to go in Week 1, Reid said, "It looked that way in the last Dallas game."

That hardly sounded like a guy who is eager to put Cole out there across the line from Packers nose tackle Ryan Pickett on Sept. 12. But Reid said yesterday, "Nick is the starting center as long as Jamaal is not in there."

He also said, "We've got to find out about McGlynn, got to find out about Reynolds. So that's what we're doing. We're just giving them as many opportunities as we can."

There also is another option at center that Reid didn't mention yesterday. A guy who could move up the depth chart this summer when the Eagles finally put on pads and start to hit each other.

A.Q. Shipley.

Shipley, a former All-American center at Penn State, signed with the Eagles in mid-January after spending the '09 season on the Steelers' practice squad. At 6-1, and lacking the long arms teams prefer in offensive linemen, he doesn't quite fit the Eagles' mold for a center. But then again, neither does Cole, who is listed as 6-0, but actually is somewhere between 5-9 and 5-10.

Shipley won the Rimington Trophy as college football's top center in '08. But the height thing and the short-arms thing were double whammies for him in the '09 draft. The Steelers didn't take him until the seventh round.

Pittsburgh turned out to be a pretty good place for Shipley to spend his rookie year, though, even if practice-squad money isn't as good as 53-man roster money. In a league that has seen 14 teams go 3-4 defensive schemes, Shipley got a chance to get daily work against one of the league's very best nose tackles, Casey Hampton.

"I felt really comfortable last year practicing against it," he said of the Steelers" 3-4. "Especially going up against Casey every day, and those linebackers there. You're going to get used to it. You're going to get familiar with it. At the end of the year, I felt pretty comfortable blocking that 3-4 and going up against guys of that caliber."

Six of the Eagles' 16 games this season will be against teams with 3-4 schemes, including four in their division - two against the Cowboys and their Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff, and two against the Redskins. Three of their first five games will be against 3-4 teams.

After last season ended, several teams called Shipley's agent about signing him. He picked the Eagles because of Jackson's knee injury.

"It's unfortunate what's happened to Jamaal," he said. "But it gives me an opportunity to come in and get some reps."

Again, Shipley doesn't fit the Eagles' mold for a center. He's more of a zone center, and that's not really what they do. It remains to be seen whether he can snap and play with leverage and get under some of the league's massive nose tackles. It remains to be seen whether or not he can anchor.

"I think he can be a starting center in the NFL," said the NFL Network's Mike Mayock. "The Eagles like the big guys. He's more of an intelligent, scrappy, short-armed, smaller, undersized guy. But with an offensive line like the Eagles that has so much movement and people playing different positions, I think they need a guy in the middle who takes charge. And I think Shipley is that kind of guy.

"He's a battler. He's tough as nails. If the Eagles give him a chance, I think they'll have trouble getting him out of the lineup."

Shipley said offensive line coach Juan Castillo teaches different blocking techniques than he used in Pittsburgh and at Penn State, but said he's slowly getting comfortable with them.

"I just want to play well and keep impressing them," he said. "I enjoy the zone [blocking] scheme for the running part of it. And the pass scheme is very similar to what I ran at Penn State. So I'm very comfortable with the situation."

Shipley said he doesn't feel his short arms put him at a disadvantage as far as being a successful NFL center.

"I kind of laugh at the whole short-arms thing," he said. "It didn't affect me in college and I don't think it affects me now. I've just got to play with what God gave me. And this is what God gave me." *
    www.myspace.com
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I KNEW THIS GUY WAS A FUCKING FRAUD. Fucking knew it! As a REAL fan of a team from MY city, let me just say it's fucking almost May and I have two other professional sports teams that represent MY city to worry about. So go wallow in your Dallas thread...or your pathetic attempt at your 50 years without a championship thread because it doesn't begin and end with one team here. Know what feeling I experienced in October of 2008 that you'll NEVER experience in your lifetime? The feeling of MY team from MY city winning it all. Now go jump back on the tailgate of that bandwagon before it pulls away without you.

You're a dork.

By the way, is it really YOUR team? :lol:
    crazypjfan wrote:

You're a dork.

somebody better start a '10 cowboys thread asap so this guy has a home to post in...jesus
    www.myspace.com
    KELLY GREEN JERSEY'S COMING BACK THIS YEAR :clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I saw that...I'd love to see that permanently. They are the 1960 throwbacks...they are sweet.

As for Shipley...I have my doubts. I will probabaly take heat for this, but I have reservations about anyone coming out of the PSU program. Penn State produces more NFL busts than anyone. I know shipley isn't a highly touted player, but PSU guys rarely have an impact in the NFL (probably because of the joke schedules PSU plays). My wife went there...I love giving her shit about this.

I would like to see them give the dude from Pitt a shot...what's him name, mike mcglynn? Apparently he's got a mean streak
    The Fixer wrote:

I saw that...I'd love to see that permanently. They are the 1960 throwbacks...they are sweet.

As for Shipley...I have my doubts. I will probabaly take heat for this, but I have reservations about anyone coming out of the PSU program. Penn State produces more NFL busts than anyone. I know shipley isn't a highly touted player, but PSU guys rarely have an impact in the NFL (probably because of the joke schedules PSU plays). My wife went there...I love giving her shit about this.

I would like to see them give the dude from Pitt a shot...what's him name, mike mcglynn? Apparently he's got a mean streak

i'm a psu fan, but don't have high hopes for shipley. i just completely forgot we picked him up and thought that was interesting. yeah--mcgquin is the other guy going to be battling it out.

i wish lurie never changed the color and logos. i've grown used to the midnight green, but kelly green is our team's history. i've been rocking my throwback randall '92 green jersey complete with the JB99 patch since '05. it's pretty sweet. only on game days though. i am opposed to random jersey-wear. only on game days.

what i really loathe are the black alternates. those are utter garbage. here's to this being the first step to bringing the kelly green back permanently...or at least to them replacing the black alternates.

GO BIRDS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

i wish lurie never changed the color and logos. i've grown used to the midnight green, but kelly green is our team's history. i've been rocking my throwback randall '92 green jersey complete with the JB99 patch since '05. it's pretty sweet. only on game days though. i am opposed to random jersey-wear. only on game days.

what i really loathe are the black alternates. those are utter garbage. here's to this being the first step to bringing the kelly green back permanently...or at least to them replacing the black alternates.

GO BIRDS.

I agree with everything here about the jerseys. Replicas are weak as hell too...I'm not a fan of the white jerseys either. gotta go with green right?

I'm gonna have to buy a new birds jersey. Have McNabb and Dawk. I like defense better, but what defensive jersey do you get right now? bradley is the best choice I guess, but that's not a jersey I'm gonna rush out and buy.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

GO BIRDS.

I agree with everything here about the jerseys. Replicas are weak as hell too...I'm not a fan of the white jerseys either. gotta go with green right?

I'm gonna have to buy a new birds jersey. Have McNabb and Dawk. I like defense better, but what defensive jersey do you get right now? bradley is the best choice I guess, but that's not a jersey I'm gonna rush out and buy.

that would be my choide. i'm more of an old school throwback jersey guy though.

if i were to get another one it might be keith byars' #41. that dude did everything for us.
    www.myspace.com

somebody better start a '10 cowboys thread asap so this guy has a home to post in...jesus

I admire the passion over here. Don't worry, our guys will start talking football soon...hopefully.
    crazypjfan wrote:

I admire the passion over here. Don't worry, our guys will start talking football soon...hopefully.

thanks for playing.
    www.myspace.com
    crazypjfan wrote:

the more I hear about Dez Bryant's background, the more I love that pick for the cowboys. His dad is a pimp...hahahaha, that is comedy gold.
    The Fixer wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

the more I hear about Dez Bryant's background, the more I love that pick for the cowboys. His dad is a pimp...hahahaha, that is comedy gold.

yeah apparently the question about his mom was a follow up to the day being a pimp. the mom was arrested for selling crack or something about a year ago too.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    crazypjfan wrote:

You're a dork.

Wow. Dork, really? Please be a girl, because this response would be a lot more poignant. Until then, dork, really? Wow. Just wow. Another reason why sports are infinitely better in the northeast.
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    crazypjfan wrote:

You're a dork.

Wow. Dork, really? Please be a girl, because this response would be a lot more poignant. Until then, dork, really? Wow. Just wow. Another reason why sports are infinitely better in the northeast.

ew. you can't really upset because someone called you a dork. I'm a girl...and I can think of WAY worse things to call someone ;-) I do like DORK though....

and, in keeping with the girlishness....i love the kelly green jerseys...someone get me an old school Randall Cunningham, please :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,966
    crazypjfan wrote:
    You're a dork.

ew. you can't really upset because someone called you a dork. I'm a girl...and I can think of WAY worse things to call someone ;-) I do like DORK though....

and, in keeping with the girlishness....i love the kelly green jerseys...someone get me an old school Randall Cunningham, please :-)

Nah, dude - not at all upset. Just surprised that's the best he could do.

LOL!! fair enough :-)

I was just playing with that comment. Shouldn't even have said it and I'm sorry. It's all in good fun. ;)
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah apparently the question about his mom was a follow up to the day being a pimp. the mom was arrested for selling crack or something about a year ago too.

I don't know why the media has to worry so much about the dude's mom. He is just going to use it as motivation and be one of the best receivers since Larry Fitzgerald. The guy is a natural at WR.

I could care less what his family does. As long as he continues to stay away from legal trouble(which he has never been involved in).
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't know why the media has to worry so much about the dude's mom. He is just going to use it as motivation and be one of the best receivers since Larry Fitzgerald. The guy is a natural at WR.

I could care less what his family does. As long as he continues to stay away from legal trouble(which he has never been involved in).

ladies and gentlemen: i present to you the foremost expert on dez bryant. he has known he's existed for a solid...2 weeks. :roll:
    www.myspace.com

and, in keeping with the girlishness....i love the kelly green jerseys...someone get me an old school Randall Cunningham, please :-)[/quote]

my kelly green #12 is patiently sitting my closet awaiting opening day.

i can't wait for the sea of kelly green at the linc that day....GO BIRDS!
    www.myspace.com
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

well, I guess it's not legal trouble, but the dude did get suspended for almost his entire season last year. he's a ticking time bomb

my kelly green #12 is patiently sitting my closet awaiting opening day.

i can't wait for the sea of kelly green at the linc that day....GO BIRDS![/quote]

awwww....now that's just mean!! I'm a tad jealous...but we'll get to a game or two this season :-)

Just read that the birds may be looking to sign John Henderson. That would be a great move...dude is gigantic
    The Fixer wrote:
    well, I guess it's not legal trouble, but the dude did get suspended for almost his entire season last year. he's a ticking time bomb

eh, I doubt that. The guy has a good set of manners on him despite what his parents are about.

The suspension was silly and is probably one of the reasons he slipped into the Cowboys hands.

He will tear up the Eagles secondary.
    crazypjfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

eh, I doubt that. The guy has a good set of manners on him despite what his parents are about.

The suspension was silly and is probably one of the reasons he slipped into the Cowboys hands.

He will tear up the Eagles secondary.

stop talking about stuff you no nothing about. you just found out this guy existed on god's green earth 2 weeks ago. beat it dude. go back to your own thread. you have zero credibility. this much has been established.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Just read that the birds may be looking to sign John Henderson. That would be a great move...dude is gigantic

where did you read that? that would be an enoromously huge pick up.......PUN INTENDED!

seriously--that would be awesome. one of my buddies was just going off on why the eagles would not have any interest in him a couple days ago...
    www.myspace.com

stop talking about stuff you no nothing about. you just found out this guy existed on god's green earth 2 weeks ago. beat it dude. go back to your own thread. you have zero credibility. this much has been established.

Like you have credibility because you read, copy and paste articles from every Philly newspaper. :roll:

It's all opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs, so quit acting like you are a football god, dude.

Now, go read up on Henderson cuz I knew the Eagles were interested in him before you did. ;)
    crazypjfan wrote:

Like you have credibility because you read, copy and paste articles from every Philly newspaper. :roll:

It's all opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs, so quit acting like you are a football god, dude.

Now, go read up on Henderson cuz I knew the Eagles were interested in him before you did. ;)

you flat out admitted to not following the draft and only paying attention to the first 3 picks until "they prove themselves in september". now you try to act like an expert on the guy.

i'm sorry but you are an uneducated fan. please stop embarrasing yourself.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    crazypjfan wrote:

you flat out admitted to not following the draft and only paying attention to the first 3 picks until "they prove themselves in september". now you try to act like an expert on the guy.

i'm sorry but you are an uneducated fan. please stop embarrasing yourself.

Dont_feed_the_troll.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
This discussion has been closed.