Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Definitely. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the ESPN headline.

Definitely a good move by baseball. Those fuckers have won two world series and pay their players shit.

AND they're getting a new ballpark.

Yeah, exactly.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    back to the matter at hand....is it fraudulent to leave a relatively close game early to beat traffic? and what would the parameters be if this is a gray area? how big of a blowout does it have to be for this to be okay?

my dad leaves baseball games by the 8th inning like clock work. he's not really a big baseball fan...but regardless, he's a fraud!

what say you?

Ahhh, this is a good question. In my opinion it is definitely fradulatlent to leave a game early to beat the traffic. You watch your team when they win and when they lose.

I have only left one Yankees game early and it was actually my last game at the old yankee stadium. Yanks lost 11-3 to Boston on a Wednesday night and I had to get up early to head back to Philly the next day. I left after Pedroias grand slam in the 8th.

you stay during blowouts too? i'll head out in the 4th quarter of a birds game when either team has a 3 score lead with under 10 mins to go. i think that's fair. people leaving a close game before its over though are definitely frauds

Baseball I do, always.

I don't get to as many pro football games as you, maybe one Giants game a year (none this year) so i stay for them. Penn State games I always stay. I always hang out after Penn State games so it does not really matter.

3 score difference in the 4th quarter is probably fair.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Man this thread has turned ugly. One thing i know is i live in Levittown Pa and i root for the Eagles,Phillies,Flyers and even the Sixers. There's no other team i give a shit about in less that team helps one of my teams out.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,135
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    haha

yo, did you see the marlins were told they had to spend more of their revenue sharing money? Right in line with what we talked about the other day and is definitely setting a precedent for the upcoming negotiations.

Definitely a good move by baseball. Those fuckers have won two world series and pay their players shit.

...And they need one badly because have you ever been to Joe Robbie/check that Landshark Stadium. It has to be the absolute worst place to play MLB in this country. A nightmare and It'll get worst a the new park as far as the traffic goes. It's being built at the old Orange Bowl site.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

...And they need one badly because have you ever been to Joe Robbie/check that Landshark Stadium. It has to be the absolute worst place to play MLB in this country. A nightmare and It'll get worst a the new park as far as the traffic goes. It's being built at the old Orange Bowl site.

Peace

is tampa still getting a new stadium? i remember seeing artist's renderings during the 08 world series and it looked pretty cool
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    FRAUDULENT = not being able to handle a little message board trash talk and crying to the moderator about it. :thumbdown:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Fraudulent: Not answering your phone or replying to text from your friends several days after your team loses!
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    jimed14 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    According to this it looks like I'm ok with everything but college football/basketball. I had no hometown team within 4 hrs, and my family liked the Redskins, Rams, and Cowboys. I chose the least successful (at the time) team in the Cowboys. The Brewers were my first world series, and I have always been and still am a fan of both of these teams. For College Syracuse University was very close to me (1 hr away), but Derrick Coleman was a no-show at my 4th grade basketball camp so I chose teams that could beat the crap out of SU so I went with the U in football (even though the Flutie game already brought me in), and UConn in basketball. I was bandwagon to choose them, but have stuck with them. So I am a partial fraud, but not really too bad. I kind of think it's funny that there exists "rules" on how and who to root for though. It's kinda like the "not wearing the bands tshirt to their concert" rule. A good mookie blaylock jersey or choices tshirt is always fun to see and I don't think of those fans as frauds...

Wait, you grew up an hour from Syracuse and the Cowboys are your team?

Not sure which direction from Syracuse that hour is ... but, wouldn't one of the 3 NY State teams be the team you should be closely affiliated with?

I smell a youngster jumping on the Aikman/Emmet/Irvin train here. ;) Heck, you even admit to liking the U ... You have a Michael Irvin fathead in your house, don't you? :)

(Note - I hope you saw the ESPN 30 on 30 special about "The U", it was great).
    I lived 1 hour north of Syracuse on route 81 in Watertown, NY. Buffalo was 3 1/2-4 hrs away and NYC was about 5-5 1/2. We had NO cable, and only CBS which carried NFC games only (hence no Buf or NYJ). Since we were so far away from NYC for Giants games the teams we were able to watch growing up were reduced to national powerhouses (Washington, Dallas, San Fran, L.A. Rams). My grandfather rooted for Washington, my mom the 49ers, and the rest of my uncles were Rams and Cowboys fans. I chose the Cowboys, and have rooted for them since the early 80s. I had a Danny White and Randy White poster, a jersey with Tony Dorsett's #33, and several other pieces of memorabilia if you really require that as proof of my fandom. I really don't think you can nail me on fraudulent-ness since the Giants were the only plausible team and they were 1/4 of a day away. Besides I'd have been more of a fraud had I switched to being a Giants fan in the mid-late 80s when the Cowboys started to suck. I loved Irvin at the U, but you can ask my dad if I cried when they lost to BC on the Flutie play (I was 5) and he will laughingly tell you that it was true. Like I said my college fandom is fraudulent, but I've rooted for the same team forever in those sports so it's not like I jump on other teams bandwagons year to year. I have made my choices and stuck with them. Now that I live in B'more I will let my son/daughter root for the Ravens, but not the Orioles b/c Super Cal is a moron.
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    back to the matter at hand....is it fraudulent to leave a relatively close game early to beat traffic? and what would the parameters be if this is a gray area? how big of a blowout does it have to be for this to be okay?

my dad leaves baseball games by the 8th inning like clock work. he's not really a big baseball fan...but regardless, he's a fraud!

what say you?

I think if you attend more than 10 baseball games a year leaving early is fine. Especially if you are like me, and get to the bar across the street to get a few non-crowded drinks in and watch the rest of the game from there. It's cheeper and you get drunker makes sense to me.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    g under p wrote:

Peace

is tampa still getting a new stadium? i remember seeing artist's renderings during the 08 world series and it looked pretty cool

Tampa had plans for this cool looking park that had this retractable lining that covered the field like an umbrella but it was scrapped due to zoning politics and the such.

And Dolphin Stadium is alright. Ya know why? It's fucking beautiful Miami.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Tampa had plans for this cool looking park that had this retractable lining that covered the field like an umbrella but it was scrapped due to zoning politics and the such.

Yeah until you have to deal with those summer thunderstorms. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Their baseball team has stripper cheerleaders. Their baseball team.

Peace.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Their baseball team has stripper cheerleaders. Their baseball team.

Peace.

Now you see why they've won 2 championships in their short existence. :D

Peace

• Options
    I don't leave early....I remember a hockey game where Hartford was down a goal with under a minute people started leaving....New Haven iced it and the faceoff was in their zone with like 2.4 seconds left, as more people were leaving they scored off the faceoff and ended up winning in overtime...awesome game.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I don't leave early....I remember a hockey game where Hartford was down a goal with under a minute people started leaving....New Haven iced it and the faceoff was in their zone with like 2.4 seconds left, as more people were leaving they scored off the faceoff and ended up winning in overtime...awesome game.

good for you.... :clap:

i remember when the birds won the nfc championship and my friend wanted to leave before the trophey presentation because he was so cold. granted, this was right after a blizzard and we were freezing our asses off. but after waiting so long, there was no way i was going to leave that place early. ladies and gentlemen---my friend was 100% fraudulent that day. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I agree. No leaving early. I was at a Stars game a few years ago against Pittsburgh and they were down 4-0 in the third. They scored 4 in the third to tie it with the tying goal being with 3 seconds left then scored in overtime.

I guess football is different. If you are down three TDs or something in the 4th with 5:00 to go, then OK. But I don't go to Cowboys games that much due to the cost so I stick it out because I don't know when I will go again.

I try not to leave Rangers games early because you never know when they are going to hit 5 HRs in an inning.

Oh, and my allegiances, since born and raised in Dallas:

Football - Cowboys, obviously
    Baseball - Rangers, although I think those rules allow for me to dump them at some point due to management incompetency, but I can't help it. They are my team even though they suck.
    Hockey - Stars
    Basketball - I could care less
    College Football - Texas, although I didn't go there. My school didn't have a football team so I guess I take them by default. My son (who is 11) is convinced that is where he wants to go so has gone to great effort to get anything and every thing that a) is burnt orange and b) has a longhorn on it including hats, hoodies, shirts, iPods, flags, etc. SMU is the home town school but I didn't go there, so I don't have to root for them.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, I agree. No leaving early. I was at a Stars game a few years ago against Pittsburgh and they were down 4-0 in the third. They scored 4 in the third to tie it with the tying goal being with 3 seconds left then scored in overtime.

I guess football is different. If you are down three TDs or something in the 4th with 5:00 to go, then OK. But I don't go to Cowboys games that much due to the cost so I stick it out because I don't know when I will go again.

I try not to leave Rangers games early because you never know when they are going to hit 5 HRs in an inning.

Oh, and my allegiances, since born and raised in Dallas:

Football - Cowboys, obviously
    Baseball - Rangers, although I think those rules allow for me to dump them at some point due to management incompetency, but I can't help it. They are my team even though they suck.
    Hockey - Stars
    Basketball - I could care less
    College Football - Texas, although I didn't go there. My school didn't have a football team so I guess I take them by default. My son (who is 11) is convinced that is where he wants to go so has gone to great effort to get anything and every thing that a) is burnt orange and b) has a longhorn on it including hats, hoodies, shirts, iPods, flags, etc.

no fraud here. good going flag.

i agree with you guys on baseball. i tend to stick it out till the end much more often there cuz you never know. football's different though. i said 3 score game earlier. i'll put it to at least a 17 point game with 7 minutes or less to go and the other team has the ball.

back in 04 we had the pleasure of leaving multiple games early when we were blowing teams out by 3 tds or more though. i remember this packers game where we were up by like 4 touch downs at halftime. i think we left early in the 4th of that game. place was half empty at that point. good times
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Being from CT, and really only having the AHL Hartford WolfPack and Uconn Huskies, I do root for them. And although I was happy for the Uconn men/women in basketball, I never watch it , and didn't pretend to be a huge fan of basketball when they won. Basketball sucks. I do follow and go to Uconn Football games.

Also, I have to travel a good ways to see a Major league game, so I don't leave early then either no matter the situation. And if my team is destroying another, I still like to stick it out and applaud them after the game is over.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358

i remember when the birds won the nfc championship and my friend wanted to leave before the trophey presentation because he was so cold. granted, this was right after a blizzard and we were freezing our asses off. but after waiting so long, there was no way i was going to leave that place early. ladies and gentlemen---my friend was 100% fraudulent that day. :mrgreen:
    And you sir are guilty by association!!!!!! :lol::mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

And you sir are guilty by association!!!!!! :lol::mrgreen:

not when i forced him to stay to the bitter end.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

what say you?

define relatively close???? is it possible that your team could lose/win in the dying minutes??? if so then yes it is fraudulent.

i was visiting my olds interstate one year back in the mythical early 90s and we went to a basketball game that went into quadruple O/T. my father insisted we leave before the end of the 4th O/T. i wasnt happy but i left cause he was driving and it was a long walk back to the island. i dont feel bad about it cause neither team was 'my' team. thus i dont consider this fraudulent.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

what say you?

define relatively close???? is it possible that your team could lose/win in the dying minutes??? if so then yes it is fraudulent.

i was visiting my olds interstate one year back in the mythical early 90s and we went to a basketball game that went into quadruple O/T. my father insisted we leave before the end of the 4th O/T. i wasnt happy but i left cause he was driving and it was a long walk back to the island. i dont feel bad about it cause neither team was 'my' team. thus i dont consider this fraudulent.

you get a pass catherine....your father however? one shall never leave in overtime until a victor is crowned. :mrgreen:

by the way....whatever could your "olds interstate" mean?"
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

what say you?

you get a pass catherine....your father however? one shall never leave in overtime until a victor is crowned. :mrgreen:

And "a long walk back to the island?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

that ain't a knife...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ...by the way....whatever could your "olds interstate" mean?"

olds = parents

my parents live in another state...

mickeyrat wrote:

... and they live on an island. :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    that ain't a knife...

THIS is a knife.

knife.jpg
  • Options

olds = parents

mickeyrat wrote:

ok, still the walk part throws me.

• Options
    Let's raise a toast on this beautifully dreary day to all those fraudulent! Go Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys! Yay teams!
  • Options
    Let's raise a toast on this beautifully dreary day to all those fraudulent! Go Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys! Yay teams!

lotta those "fans" not feeling too good today, eh?

:thumbup:
    :wave:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

olds = parents

mickeyrat wrote:

ok, still the walk part throws me.

jeez mickey... he wouldve left without me. no public transport = a long walk back to the island.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say