are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'm in a pickle here...

I've been thinking lately, and more so after attending a AAA home run derby last night, that I'd really like to start following, watching, and paying attention to baseball. However, I have no prior association with any ball club, do not live in a state that has a major league team, nor have I ever lived near one excluding 6 months in Atlanta (Braves, obviously).

The closest team to me I believe is the Rockies.

So you fraud experts, how do I go about this? I want to have "a team" because that just makes watching and following more fun... I'd feel odd just jumping on a wagon for no particular reason. I need some guidelines damnit.

Now is your chance to persuade me into being a fan of your team (shitty or not). :twisted:

i would put the Cubs at the bottom of the list.

Noted.

It makes the most sense to follow the team closest to me, so that would be Colorado.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'm in a pickle here...

I've been thinking lately, and more so after attending a AAA home run derby last night, that I'd really like to start following, watching, and paying attention to baseball. However, I have no prior association with any ball club, do not live in a state that has a major league team, nor have I ever lived near one excluding 6 months in Atlanta (Braves, obviously).

So you fraud experts, how do I go about this? I want to have "a team" because that just makes watching and following more fun... I'd feel odd just jumping on a wagon for no particular reason. I need some guidelines damnit.

Now is your chance to persuade me into being a fan of your team (shitty or not). :twisted:

i say go with the rockies or twins. if you pick new york, philly or boston you will seem like you are jumping on the bandwagon of the best teams. plus it's cool to cheer for the smaller markets and underdogs in colorado and minnesota.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you could route for the angels although they are a big market team as the salt lake bees are a farm team of them ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    polaris_x wrote:
    you could route for the angels although they are a big market team as the salt lake bees are a farm team of them ...

that would make sense
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

that would make sense

Thought about that too as I was at The Bees stadium last night.

I won't lie though, I have a problem associatign myself with anything Los Angeles sports related.

It's rooted in my dislike for the Lakers. :oops:

Does Disney still own the Angels?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Moreno
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arturo_Moreno

Suck it, Walt.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

that would make sense

Thought about that too as I was at The Bees stadium last night.

I won't lie though, I have a problem associatign myself with anything Los Angeles sports related.

It's rooted in my dislike for the Lakers. :oops:

well ... if you want a team that every year has a great chance of getting into the post-season ... this would be them ...

my best advice is to abandon this thought altogether ... baseball is boring ... :mrgreen:
    polaris_x wrote:
    my best advice is to abandon this thought altogether ... baseball is boring ... :mrgreen:
    I'll agree that at times baseball is boring. However, I prefer it over football. Something about football just doesn't sit right with me.

But then again, this is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoys the NBA when it seems everyone else has a bunch of grievances with it. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'm in a pickle here...

i would put the Cubs at the bottom of the list.

Noted.

It makes the most sense to follow the team closest to me, so that would be Colorado.

is any team broadcasted locally? can you pick up rockies games in your area? aren't you about 400 miles away from denver?

this is a tough one. i would say if your area doesn't get any rockies games either on tv or radio then you may have free reign to select a team here..... :think: ....once you select a team, you must stick with them for the rest of your existence. a bond between fan and team is even stronger than a mother and child's bond as we discussed on a prior page :lol:

dc--there's no baseball fans in your family? mom or pops isnt/wasn't a fan of a team that you could kind of inherit?

i'm interested to see what happens with this :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    once you select a team, you must stick with them for the rest of your existence. a bond between fan and team is even stronger than a mother and child's bond as we discussed on a prior page

i thought we concluded that the mother/child bond is potentially stronger than fandom :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    I'll agree that at times baseball is boring. However, I prefer it over football. Something about football just doesn't sit right with me.

But then again, this is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoys the NBA when it seems everyone else has a bunch of grievances with it. :?

at least with football ... you're looking at a 16 game regular season vs. 162 insomniac-curing action ...
    81 wrote:
    once you select a team, you must stick with them for the rest of your existence. a bond between fan and team is even stronger than a mother and child's bond as we discussed on a prior page

i thought we concluded that the mother/child bond is potentially stronger than fandom :?:

i guess it's open for debate.

i like the opportunity we have here. we can guide young dcfaithful on his quest to become a non-fraudulent new baseball fan.
    www.myspace.com
    he needs to put in some research on each team to make sure he finds the right team. this isn't something that should be taken lightly
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    he should root for the rockies, its his home state team. i'd be very shocked if he didn't get the rockies game. rockies are a good team to root for anyways.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    choose the Royals or the Pirates.

:|
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

Pirates are but a game out of first.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    81 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Pirates are but a game out of first.
    that's why i said them ;)

:?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    I'm pretty sure I get Rockies games here on the same network that broadcasts Jazz games.

I'll probably go for the Rockies. I have tickets to a Rockies game when I am in Denver at the end of this month. I think I'll make my decision then.

The Angels was a good pick, I guess as good as The Rockies if were talking in terms of proximity.

Then there is the Diamondbacks. I believe I am closer to Denver, however the Diamondbacks are Arizona, and not just Phoenix or any other city in particular.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    edited July 2011
    81 wrote:

i like the opportunity we have here. we can guide young dcfaithful on his quest to become a non-fraudulent new baseball fan.

Guide with integrity, Juggler. :mrgreen:

I could start watching baseball with imalive, however we all know he's a Giants fan. For God's sake, you all should see his Giants room... it's incredibly impressive.

Cheering for the Giants though, I dunno... I have no significance with them, unlike him.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    metsfan wrote:
    he should root for the rockies, its his home state team. i'd be very shocked if he didn't get the rockies game. rockies are a good team to root for anyways.

but i think he is from utah and might be as much as 7 hours away....

also, i'm not certain you are permitted to help given your dallas cowboys allegiance ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Whoever is on TV the most and you can see the most. Start watching whatever team is shown locally the most often and get to know the players.
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

Guide with integrity, Juggler. :mrgreen:

I could start watching baseball with imalive, however we all know he's a Giants fan. For God's sake, you all should see his Giants room... it's incredibly impressive.

Cheering for the Giants though, I dunno... I have no significance with them, unlike him.

i believe you've already got your team: ;)
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I get Rockies games here on the same network that broadcasts Jazz games.

I'll probably go for the Rockies. I have tickets to a Rockies game when I am in Denver at the end of this month. I think I'll make my decision then.

locally broadcasted team, i believe, would seal the deal....
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:

but i think he is from utah and might be as much as 7 hours away....

also, i'm not certain you are permitted to help given your dallas cowboys allegiance ;)

Yes, I am in Utah.

I believe Denver is roughly 8-9 hours away? But I'm not sure. I think Phoenix is further, and I know that LA is a further distance.

This is also why I haven't caught on to football. Aside from not really caring too much about the game, I wouldn't know where to start on picking a team to pledge to. My step-dad is a lifelong Raider fan... went to a Raiders game with him. That was a riot, and a lot of fun... but I just don't think I'm as devoted as the bulk of those fans. I couldn't believe the intensity.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Whoever is on TV the most and you can see the most. Start watching whatever team is shown locally the most often and get to know the players.

I also need to increase my knowledge of the game of baseball. I know enough about it to watch it, but... there are some things that go on that I don't particularly understand. Or at least, don't understand the method to the madness I guess.

Baseball though, has always intrigued me, and has always been fun as shit to attend live games.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    I like the idea of dc going through the flow chart 81 posted.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I also need to increase my knowledge of the game of baseball. I know enough about it to watch it, but... there are some things that go on that I don't particularly understand. Or at least, don't understand the method to the madness I guess.

Baseball though, has always intrigued me, and has always been fun as shit to attend live games.

I think following whoever you can see the most is definitely your best bet then. You will get the same announcers and will get used to the players. Without investing money in a package, you won't be able to follow any team consistently and won't get into the in's and out's of the game. If you don't get something, look it up, there are some confusing aspects and there are things that happen from time to time that you will never see happen again. It's a great sport.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think following whoever you can see the most is definitely your best bet then. You will get the same announcers and will get used to the players. Without investing money in a package, you won't be able to follow any team consistently and won't get into the in's and out's of the game. If you don't get something, look it up, there are some confusing aspects and there are things that happen from time to time that you will never see happen again. It's a great sport.

Yeah, I was at the park last night with the girlfriend and as I was drinking my beer and she had a dog I said "This is why baseball is awesome, because it's so damn American." :lol:

Need to find out when the next Rockies game is on the local channel here...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    if you decide to become a rockies fan, just plan on enjoying bash em baseball :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg