Options

***CHICAGO WHITE SOX***

Comments

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,778
    So you guys aren't happy about losing Jenks? You guys are already stocked in the bullpen and Thornton's a star in waiting. I would think this helps you guys in the long run.

I'm fine with it. As much as all white sox fans will always have a soft spot for Jenks after he came up from the minors in the middle 2005 throwing some major heat with a nasty curve and next thing you know, he is closing out game 4 of the world series. He has been pretty frustrating to watch the past couple years. If he gets his fat ass into shape, he can be effective. He's struggled with injuries the past couple years mostly for being out of shape. That grew old quickly for Sox fans and coaches.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i love Bobby. he's a white sox hero to me. they shouldve resigned him bc when healthy, he can be dominant.

I was a big Jenks fan too, but him being unhealthy the past couple years was mostly due to him being out of shape. He's a professional athlete making a ridiculous amount of money.....there's no excuse for showing up to spring training on a regular basis way out of shape.
  • Options
    I'm really liking the extension for Alexei Ramirez. Pretty reasonable at 4 years, $32 mill. Only a couple more weeks until pitchers and catchers report.
  • Options
    Is it baseball season yet???
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Is it baseball season yet???

single game tickets go on sale tommorrow. DUNN is the deal, or is that the code for today. :?:

pitchers and catchers report next week
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    per trib write mark gonzales, tomorrow's 1st spring training lineup will look at lot like opening day's:

pierre
    beckham
    dunn
    konerko
    rios
    quentin
    aj
    alexei
    morel...

SICK
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    1. Juan Pierre LF .309 2 HR 39 RBI 61 SB 108 RUNS
    2. Gordon Beckham 2B .325 25 HR 101 RBI 21 SB 30 Doubles 9 Triples AL MVP- 2nd Place
    3. Adam Dunn DH .266 43 HR 114 RBI 30 Doubles AL MVP- 3rd Place
    4. Paul Konerko 1B .298 33 HR 109 RBI
    5. Alex Rios .288 18 HR 72 RBI 23 SB Gold Glove
    6. Carlos Quentin RF .277 30 HR 110 RBI
    7. AJ Piezynski C .292 11 HR 62 RBI
    8. Alexei Ramirez SS .300 24 HR 79 RBI 22 SB Glove Glove
    9. Brett Morel 3B .271 15 HR 69 RBI

SP Mark Buehrle 18-8 3.02 ERA
    SP Edwin Jackson 17-5 3.12 ERA
    SP John Danks 15-11 3.79
    SP Gavin Floyd 15-9 3.52 ERA
    SP Jake Peavy 12-2 2.11 ERA

CP Matt Thornton 41 Saves 1.09 ERA
    SU Chris Sale 0.88 ERA 99 SO's
    SU Sergio Santos 2.99 ERA
    RP Jessie Crain 3.11 ERA
    RP Will Ohman 3.55 ERA
    LR Tony Pena 4.01 ERA

Overall Record 95-67 1st AL Central, World Series Champs
    Post edited by davidtrios on
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Overall Record 95-67 1st AL Central, World Series Champs

You are WAAAY off in that prediction, buddy.

I have them at 97-65... 8-)
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    88 wins. Yup
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    88 wins. Yup

I'm thinking 92 wins.
  • Options
    GLENDALE, Ariz. — It’s the Guillen family vs. Bobby Jenks, Round 2.

Right after Christmas, Jenks took some shots at White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and said he looked forward to playing for his new team, the Boston Red Sox.

Advertisement
    Oney Guillen, Ozzie’s middle son, blasted Jenks on his Twitter account and turned the spat into a national story.

Two days ago, Jenks had similar critical thoughts about Ozzie and the White Sox in the Chicago Tribune.

“A lot of the stuff with Ozzie and the front office gets old,” Jenks said at the Red Sox’ training camp in Fort Myers, Fla. “It has been a problem for a long time. It was a problem before last year. It’s going to be nice for me to see how things are done here.”

Initially taking the high road after being asked about Jenks following Saturday’s workout at Camelback Ranch, Ozzie Guillen eventually fired back.

“First of all he can’t make any comments about last year because he was never in the clubhouse,” Guillen said. “He spent more time at his house than he did in the clubhouse. They told me about it. I didn’t read it yet. The only thing I can say is that I feel bad for him because I think the way we treated this kid, just the White Sox and myself, or our front-office people, we helped him a lot on the field and off the field.”

Guillen slowly began to seethe.

“I don’t want the aggravation again talking about his thing,” Guillen said. “But he better be careful talking about Oney because Oney knows a lot of stuff about him.

“I just talked to Oney to make sure he lets that thing go. But if Oney said everything he knows about Bobby Jenks, it wouldn’t be a pretty thing. I said (to Oney), ‘Make sure you don’t say anything because he has a family.’ I respect his wife, I respect his kid. I’m not even mad. I wish I was mad about it because I will rip (Jenks’) throat (out).”

Ozzie was just getting started on Jenks, the White Sox’ primary closer the past six seasons.

“Too bad that all the stuff we had between me and Kenny (Williams) interrupted his career because he did a lot of bad things last year,” Guillen said. “We lied for him, we protected him. I’m the first manager in the history of baseball to give a guy a week off to take care of his kids when his father-in-law was sick. It wasn’t even his wife. But it was out of respect I have for his family.

“I sent him home because he had to babysit his kids because his father-in-law was sick. I don’t think any manager is doing that. But coming from him, I expect that.”

Guillen and Jenks clearly were at odds for most of last season, and the two barely even talked after the all-star break.

“Just worry about Boston, don’t worry about the White Sox,” Guillen said. “He has to worry about Boston and what he has to do for them. And I bet you (Red Sox manager) Tito Francona won’t put up with the (bleep) we put up with here. I have Tito’s number here to call him and say make sure you tell Bobby to worry about the Boston Red Sox and don’t worry about what happened here or whatever. We don’t miss him.

“You ask 30 guys in there (clubhouse). By the way, I was asking for his phone number to talk him to about it and nobody had his phone number. None of his (ex-)teammates had his phone number. That tells you what happened. But me, that’s fine. He wasn’t talking about the ballclub, he was talking about Ozzie and Kenny. I respect that.

“Thank God he wasn’t talking about the club. If Bobby was taking about the club, ehhh, I would have been everywhere on ESPN because I will rip his guts. But he was talking about me. I can take that.

“Just be careful about what you say about Oney because Oney will say stuff he’s not supposed to be saying. That’s just a warning for him. Just stay away and don’t name Oney for this because it will be pretty ugly.”

Jenks didn’t mention Oney Guillen in the latest round of sparring.

As for his former White Sox teammates, two were asked Saturday if they had Jenks’ number.

“Nope,” said one.

“No,” said another. “But if I did, I’d call Bobby and tell him to shut up.”

Read more: http://dailyherald.com/article/20110226 ... z1FGtUixy7
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Thoughts on this 81?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Thoughts on this 81?

Jenks sucks. :lol:

his teammates don't like him.

where is his wife in all this? she couldn't handle the kids? maybe a teammates wife could have took them if Mrs. Jenks works or was out of town?

Maybe this is why he couldn't pitch his way out of a wet paper bag last season. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Well, he certainly underperformed last season and friction in the clubhouse never helps. I think he's still young enough and the role he'll play on the Sox this season will be conducive to a bounce-back year for him. With everything I've read about his past in Chicago, it appears to be one of those situations where both teams will benefit. I think the White Sox bullpen will benefit from addition thru subtraction.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Well, he certainly underperformed last season and friction in the clubhouse never helps. I think he's still young enough and the role he'll play on the Sox this season will be conducive to a bounce-back year for him. With everything I've read about his past in Chicago, it appears to be one of those situations where both teams will benefit. I think the White Sox bullpen will benefit from addition thru subtraction.

he wasn't loved in chicago by his teammates or mgmt and when that happens, as a player, you often lose that fire in the belly. but that said, it sounds like he brought a lot of it on himself.

i don't seem him being a great closer again. in the setup role, with less pressure, he could flourish.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    So does Thornton become the guy in Chicago? Doesnt Ozzie like that other guy better? What's the word out of camp right now regarding the 2011 closer? I like Thornton and I think he deserves the full-time role.
  • Options
    So does Thornton become the guy in Chicago? Doesnt Ozzie like that other guy better? What's the word out of camp right now regarding the 2011 closer? I like Thornton and I think he deserves the full-time role.

I must admit, i haven't followed much of any spring training stuff.

I would assume it will go

Sales - 7th inning
    Santos - 8th Inning
    Thorton - closer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    I think sale is gonna dominate...i would give him the 8th inning role...the only thing that concerns me (aside from his youth) is that funky throwing motion...i cringe everytime he throws bc it looks like it could really affect his elbow.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I must admit, i haven't followed much of any spring training stuff.

I would assume it will go

Sales - 7th inning
    Santos - 8th Inning
    Thorton - closer.

It may be Thornton. But it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Ozzie went with Sale as the closer and left Thornton in his setup role that he's so good at.
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Got my season opener tickets. Can't wait, it's been a long winter. Hope it warms up soon. It's been nice watching the Hawks and Bulls in the mean time though.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    Kevinman wrote:
    Got my season opener tickets. Can't wait, it's been a long winter. Hope it warms up soon. It's been nice watching the Hawks and Bulls in the mean time though.

Yep, at least we have the Bulls and Hawks. All those winters in the later 90s and early 2000s were awful when the Hawks and Bulls both sucked.

Peavy looked good for 3 and 2/3 innings today. Bring on baseball!
  • Options
    Is spring training over yet? God I can't wait for the season to start!
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Were gonna be sick this season. Assuming we stay healthy. Pale Hose/Phillies World Series...
  • Options
    Were gonna be sick this season. Assuming we stay healthy. Pale Hose/Phillies World Series...

That sounds good to me. I can't wait for Friday to get here.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262

Hope you do better when it matters...vs. your spring standings. 11-20. :D
    Yeah, I know spring doesn't mean anything... but do you really think you're going to truly compete this year? Can you take down the Twins? Can you stay competitive in the AL all season? Detroit can be a spoiler, and well...the rest of your division blows
    I think if your rotation stays healthy and your key relievers can step up, you have a decent shot at the Twins. I'm not entirely sold on your offense as I am your pitching and D.
    Only time will tell!

Good luck Sox fans. Hope to see you dirty fuckers in the series!!!!! :lol:
  • Options
    Is it 3:05 yet!???? Damn this week has creeped by...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

Hope you do better when it matters...vs. your spring standings. 11-20. :D
    Yeah, I know spring doesn't mean anything... but do you really think you're going to truly compete this year? Can you take down the Twins? Can you stay competitive in the AL all season? Detroit can be a spoiler, and well...the rest of your division blows
    I think if your rotation stays healthy and your key relievers can step up, you have a decent shot at the Twins. I'm not entirely sold on your offense as I am your pitching and D.
    Only time will tell!

Good luck Sox fans. Hope to see you dirty fuckers in the series!!!!! :lol:

You cant be talking about the World Series right???? Cubs fans... I give them credit, They still have hope... :?
  • Options
    Nice start so far!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    HR and double for Dunn!

Is he Dunn yet! :lol:
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    2 HRs for Dunn!

Is he Dunn yet! :lol:

when did he hit the second?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg