***CHICAGO WHITE SOX***

Comments

• IwasBit10 wrote:
    Thanks for letting us rest our starters the rest of the way, White Sox. Gardy and the Twins OWN you! :lol:

ps- JIM THOME rules! :lol::lol:

Why would you rest your starters?? The Twins have a chance to catch the Yanks/Rays and possibly get home field. Darth was just saying in the Twins thread (you do know that exists, right?) that Gardy resting his players is a main reason the Twins keep flaming out in the ALDS. I guess if that's the case, you're welcome.

If he said that, then he's wrong. What happened the last two years? The Twins had to fight tooth and nail just to get to game 163 and then lost one and won one. They were exhausted last year in Game 1 vs New York and perhaps with some rest, they could have been better situated to face the Yanks. We had to start our 5th starter in the first game since we had to use Baker in game 163. We didn't have a former MVP in our lineup last year either. I'm still worried about that this year. Anyway, the guys were emotionally spent by that point since EVERY game in September was a battle. If memory serves me right, the white sox "flamed out" in a similar situation in 08 losing to the Rays after winning game 163.

Yes we have had some larger division leads in the past few times we have lost in the ALDS but they faced the Yankees twice and even won the first game in both series in 03 and 04. Poor relief pitching, lack of clutch hitting, and bad decisions by Gardy are reasons why we lost those series.

My point is that Cuddyer hasn't had a day off in I can't remember how long and could use a break, we could give Mauer some extra rest, and give some other guys rest in various games so everyone is fresh for the playoffs.

You guys will have plenty of rest after the regular season ends. ;)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.

• If he said that, then he's wrong. What happened the last two years? The Twins had to fight tooth and nail just to get to game 163 and then lost one and won one. They were exhausted last year in Game 1 vs New York and perhaps with some rest, they could have been better situated to face the Yanks. We had to start our 5th starter in the first game since we had to use Baker in game 163. We didn't have a former MVP in our lineup last year either. I'm still worried about that this year. Anyway, the guys were emotionally spent by that point since EVERY game in September was a battle. If memory serves me right, the white sox "flamed out" in a similar situation in 08 losing to the Rays after winning game 163.

Yes we have had some larger division leads in the past few times we have lost in the ALDS but they faced the Yankees twice and even won the first game in both series in 03 and 04. Poor relief pitching, lack of clutch hitting, and bad decisions by Gardy are reasons why we lost those series.

My point is that Cuddyer hasn't had a day off in I can't remember how long and could use a break, we could give Mauer some extra rest, and give some other guys rest in various games so everyone is fresh for the playoffs.

Just to clarify, I never suggested the Twins shouldn't rest guys–-by all means rest some of the starters, just don't do it all at once 3 days in a row. The fact is that Gardy did that in those 03-04 years when the Twins clinched early. Obviously you need some time to re-coup and get the rotation set (which the Twins weren't able to do at all last year).
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Thanks for letting us rest our starters the rest of the way, White Sox. Gardy and the Twins OWN you! :lol:

ps- JIM THOME rules! :lol::lol:

Why would you rest your starters?? The Twins have a chance to catch the Yanks/Rays and possibly get home field. Darth was just saying in the Twins thread (you do know that exists, right?) that Gardy resting his players is a main reason the Twins keep flaming out in the ALDS. I guess if that's the case, you're welcome.

If he said that, then he's wrong. What happened the last two years? The Twins had to fight tooth and nail just to get to game 163 and then lost one and won one. They were exhausted last year in Game 1 vs New York and perhaps with some rest, they could have been better situated to face the Yanks. We had to start our 5th starter in the first game since we had to use Baker in game 163. We didn't have a former MVP in our lineup last year either. I'm still worried about that this year. Anyway, the guys were emotionally spent by that point since EVERY game in September was a battle. If memory serves me right, the white sox "flamed out" in a similar situation in 08 losing to the Rays after winning game 163.

...........and your team will have plenty of rest 3 games after the end of the season.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Kevinman wrote:

...........and your team will have plenty of rest 3 games after the end of the season.

Sure dude, if that's the case, at least we got there. The sux aren't even close to sniffing the playoffs.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Sox are looking pretty damn solid this year, naysayers..

Might get Thome back too..

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=cws

Uhhh, nope.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I hope they resign PK, I can live without AJ, and byebye Freddie

Rox vs Sox 2011 World Series (TuloRUTHski will win MVP for NL and Beckham for AL )
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Davidtrios wrote:

Pauly is a must. I am a little cautious in the fact that he's playing up in his contract year, but I think he's still got a few good years left. And he's an above average fielder. He said he only expects to play about 3 more seasons, and he deserves to finish his career on the South Side. I want AJ back, I think he handles the pitching staff very well and has had some clutch hits throughout the years, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in another direction. Although I don't think they have anyone in-house that could be an everyday catcher yet, so they'd have to make a move through FA or a trade. And if they can get Freddy at a discount, I say keep him. There's no guarantee that Peavy is back and healthy by April. Who would've thought he'd win 12 games this year??

It's a tricky offseason. A lot of young talent that underachieved this year. I really don't think they're too far off, I mean 86+ wins is solid. But some tweaks (particularly at closer) need to be made to get them to the top of the division.

Also not sure where Ozzie and Kenny go from here. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them is gone by Spring Training.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • IwasBit10 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

Pauly is a must. I am a little cautious in the fact that he's playing up in his contract year, but I think he's still got a few good years left. And he's an above average fielder. He said he only expects to play about 3 more seasons, and he deserves to finish his career on the South Side. I want AJ back, I think he handles the pitching staff very well and has had some clutch hits throughout the years, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in another direction. Although I don't think they have anyone in-house that could be an everyday catcher yet, so they'd have to make a move through FA or a trade. And if they can get Freddy at a discount, I say keep him. There's no guarantee that Peavy is back and healthy by April. Who would've thought he'd win 12 games this year??

It's a tricky offseason. A lot of young talent that underachieved this year. I really don't think they're too far off, I mean 86+ wins is solid. But some tweaks (particularly at closer) need to be made to get them to the top of the division.

Also not sure where Ozzie and Kenny go from here. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them is gone by Spring Training.

If they can bring back PK at 2-3 years for 10-12 million per year, they gotta do it. I think AJ will be coming back for a 1 year deal if he agrees to it....Tyler Flowers isn't ready to be an everyday catcher just yet. Bringing back Freddy as an insurance policy will cost them next to nothing so I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

I'd like to see Jenks and Quentin gone. Jenks makes way too much $$ for not being a very reliable closer and Quentin is a mental midget. Quentin has tons of talent, but it's all in his head and if he hasn't figured it out at this ponit, I dont think he ever will.

Should be an interesting offseason. Oh yeah, and if they bring Kotsay back, I might just lose my fucking mind. Please Kenny go out and get a real fucking DH!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i thought manny was taking over DH
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    manny is a free agent. i don't think he's done enough here for the sox to offer him a viable contract.
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    manny is a free agent. i don't think he's done enough here for the sox to offer him a viable contract.

Yeah, I highly duobt they will bring him back. Unless he gets no interest in the FA market, they could maybe bring him back on the cheap.
  • http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/n ... id=5875860

Adam Dunn coming to the South Side

Also, they gave Alexei his raise, so he's back. As for Jenks, he gone.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    still need to sigh some players. Dunn more or less replaces Pauly.

still need a DH and some outfield help as well as anouther solid IF. Still don't get why they picked up Tehan.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Jenks gone too.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Dunn and konerko. Damn!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Dunn and konerko. Damn!

pauly is a free agent. i've not seen any news about him resigning with the sox
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bizarro wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Dunn and konerko. Damn!

pauly is a free agent. i've not seen any news about him resigning with the sox

read he sent texts to teammates today saying it's a done deal.
    well in that case, that's a nice little pick up for the sox. kept the 1st base intact and fixed the DH spot.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Bizarro wrote:
    well in that case, that's a nice little pick up for the sox. kept the 1st base intact and fixed the DH spot.

for sure. I don't think konerko will have the same year as last year but that's not a bad lineup.
  • Welcome, Adam Dunn. Now let's get Paulie and Putz resigned!
  • Resigned AJ as well, which I like a lot.

Kenny said that resigning Paulie is his #1 priority, so I bet that he's back too.

I'm not sure if they're going to add any IF. They're set at 1B, 2B and SS, and I could see them going with a rotation of Vizquel, Morel and maybe Viciedo at 3rd. I wish they'd just cut Teahan, but they might try to work him in too.

They absolutely need another OF (and maybe move Quentin) and some RP. Maybe a closer, but I wonder if they're gonna give Thornton a shot at it.
    I'm glad we have a full time DH again. Adam Dunn will see better pitching in the AL but he will be productive at the Cell. As far as the strikeouts are concerned, they seem a lot worse than they really are. I'd rather see a guy whiff than tap into a double play.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,747
    Well "Dunn" Chicago on getting Adam :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Well "Dunn" Chicago on getting Adam :lol:

3.5/10 on pun quality
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • phardinphardin Posts: 133
    Jenks gone too.

So is Thornton the closer now, or are they going to give Sale a shot? I've heard Sale my compete for the 5th starting spot with Peavy out, but I think it would be stupid to take a strong arm out of an already weak bullpen.
    I think they want to move Sale to the rotation

I figure it's pretty much thorton's job to lose, with Sergio as the 8th inning guy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    just heard on thr score 670 that Jenks is a Red Sox....it's a sad day
  • So you guys aren't happy about losing Jenks? You guys are already stocked in the bullpen and Thornton's a star in waiting. I would think this helps you guys in the long run.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    i love Bobby. he's a white sox hero to me. they shouldve resigned him bc when healthy, he can be dominant.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i love Bobby. he's a white sox hero to me. they shouldve resigned him bc when healthy, he can be dominant.

Jenks blows. everytime he took the mound last year, you had to cross your fingers and toes in hope that he didn't walk the bases loaded and give up the go ahead hit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg