The Chicago Cubs..Please Just Go Away!!!

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.....the brewers pound out 26 hits. most ever by a cubs opponent :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Thanks Cubs!

Love,

My fantasy players(Prince, Casey, & Yovanni)
    NERDS!
  • swany24swany24 Posts: 52
    It was certainly great watching the Brewers beat them down tonight.
    Thanks Cubs!

Love,

My fantasy players(Prince, Casey, & Yovanni)

:lol: thankfully, it appears the fleet foxes didn't have any.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cubs fans are the most stubbornly dedicated fans on the planet. I was downtown yesterday and every other person walking around was wearing a Cubs hat or shirt.. When the Sox are playing like shit, I am hesitant to sport Sox gear casually in public. The Cubs organization doesn't deserve the love it gets.

I mean, come on. Even the Bears don't get that love when their season is in the dump.

Sure, if the Cubs do good again, many can prove they aren't bandwagon jumpers, but right now its kind of like being a really big fan of a really crappy TV show..
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Cubs fans are the most stubbornly dedicated fans on the planet. I was downtown yesterday and every other person walking around was wearing a Cubs hat or shirt.. When the Sox are playing like shit, I am hesitant to sport Sox gear casually in public. The Cubs organization doesn't deserve the love it gets.

I mean, come on. Even the Bears don't get that love when their season is in the dump.

Sure, if the Cubs do good again, many can prove they aren't bandwagon jumpers, but right now its kind of like being a really big fan of a really crappy TV show..

I sport my Cubs hat 365 days a year (if I could). Why would you ever hesitant to wear your favorite team's apparel? Sure, I often expect comments from people...but I was born a Cubs fan and I'll die one. I don't care what people think.

Where I draw the line is supporting the team by attending the games while they suck this type of ass.
    This will be the first year in over 20 years that I didn't at least go to one game. They were here in AZ, and I still refused to go. I sure as shit wouldn't go to a game at Wrigley this year!

Even if the Bears go 0-16 this year, I'll still wear my Bears hat too.
    I have a friend who's a Lion's fan, and he wears this dingy Lions shirt all the time.

I don't get what the issue is...
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    ed's at the game again. same seats. i should bought tix! fuck
  • I have tickets for Sundays game against Cincy......

ughhhh..............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    mca47 wrote:

I sport my Cubs hat 365 days a year (if I could). Why would you ever hesitant to wear your favorite team's apparel? Sure, I often expect comments from people...but I was born a Cubs fan and I'll die one. I don't care what people think.

Where I draw the line is supporting the team by attending the games while they suck this type of ass.
    This will be the first year in over 20 years that I didn't at least go to one game. They were here in AZ, and I still refused to go. I sure as shit wouldn't go to a game at Wrigley this year!

Even if the Bears go 0-16 this year, I'll still wear my Bears hat too.
    I have a friend who's a Lion's fan, and he wears this dingy Lions shirt all the time.

I don't get what the issue is...

I gotta agree with you mca47. Obviously not with my Cubs hat, but I always sport my Sox or Bears hats no matter what the record is. Doing anything else would mean I'm embarrassed to be a fan of that team. The best way to voice your displeasure is like you said, not going to any games. Wrigley still draws well, but it should be interesting to see what type of crowds they get the next 2 months now that they're completely out of it. There's goin to be a lot of lost revenue for a team with an extremely high payroll....
    I have tickets for Sundays game against Cincy......

ughhhh..............

can't wait for fridays game :roll:

76 + 9.12 in tax to sit out in the right field bleachs. oh boy. can't wait to be baked by the mid day sun.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    I have tickets for Sundays game against Cincy......

ughhhh..............

can't wait for fridays game :roll:

76 + 9.12 in tax to sit out in the right field bleachs. oh boy. can't wait to be baked by the mid day sun.
    I gave my tickets for Sundays game to a co-worker.

He said he had never been to Wrigley Field, and that he was going to take his 13 year old son, who is a BIG Cubs fan.

COOL.........
    that'll be fun for the kid...you are such a good egg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    Yeah...

The guy I work with was ALL EXCITED!!!!!!
    He looked like a little kid at Christmas.....

He wanted to offer me money...
    But there was no way in hell I was going to take it....

He jumped on his cell phone right away, to call his son and tell him they had Cubs tickets for Sunday....

It was pretty cool to see someone so genuinley thrilled about going to Wrigley for the first time......

It was pretty cool to see someone so genuinley thrilled about going to Wrigley for the first time......

Did you warn him not to use the restrooms? :lol:8-)
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    81 wrote:
    Yeah...

He jumped on his cell phone right away, to call his son and tell him they had Cubs tickets for Sunday....

It will be a day neither of them will ever forget.

Pretty cool indeed.
    Nice shirt.
    81 wrote:
    Yeah...

It will be a day neither of them will ever forget.

Pretty cool indeed.

I still remember my first ball game at the old Comiskey Park. I was 10 years old. I remember the lady behind me beating the hell out of a guy with her umbrella because he stoled the foul ball she was about to catch. lol.

Did you warn him not to use the restrooms? :lol:8-)

what he didn't tell the guy was the seats were right behind a pole
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 5th worst record in all of baseball........
    17 games under .500....

I am now hoping these fuckers go 15-36, just so they can lose 100 games.....
    5th worst record in all of baseball........
    17 games under .500....

I am now hoping these fuckers go 15-36, just so they can lose 100 games.....

They haven't tried in the last month.
    Pathetic...
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I'm going to the Padres/Cubs game tonight at Wrigley . I know what you're thinking- I hate the poor Cubs. but, I am going there to root 2005 Chicago White Sox Hero Jon Garland as he goes on the bump for San Diego.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    I'm going to the Padres/Cubs game tonight at Wrigley

my condolances
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cubs only chance to win is to demolish Wrigley and build a stadium someplace where they wouldn't have so many day games.

I was thinking about this the other day. When my work schedule shifts back and forth I get thrown off. These players get used to 3 to 11 shifts, followed by a night life. When they get a 1 PM game, all of a sudden they have to be ready for practice around 8 or 9 in the morning. Doing this once a week may be no problem, but switching back constantly over a 81 game home season can be tough. Having a routine is the best thing for an MLB player.

Ex Cub players will all agree that Wrigley is a brutal place to play. They can't complain as a current players because it would look like they were making excuses, but it's true.

It comes down to the fans. Do they want a winning team or a beer garden?
    Cubs only chance to win is to demolish Wrigley and build a stadium someplace where they wouldn't have so many day games.

I was thinking about this the other day. When my work schedule shifts back and forth I get thrown off. These players get used to 3 to 11 shifts, followed by a night life. When they get a 1 PM game, all of a sudden they have to be ready for practice around 8 or 9 in the morning. Doing this once a week may be no problem, but switching back constantly over a 81 game home season can be tough. Having a routine is the best thing for an MLB player.

Ex Cub players will all agree that Wrigley is a brutal place to play. They can't complain as a current players because it would look like they were making excuses, but it's true.

i don't buy the too many day game arguement. look at 03, 07 and 08. you are telling me they chocked away the NLCS because they played one to many day games? or they got swept in 07 and 08 because they played to many day games? what about back in the 1910's 20's 30's 40's when nobody played night games? :lol:

here is why the cubs always choke. god is pissed that they built wrigley on a former seminary location
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Wrigley may be tough to play in the daytime (mostly due to the sun's effects on the right side of the field), but the overwhelming majority of baseball players prefer to play in the day with natural light.

Even in my baseball days (now softball days), I'd take a day game any day over a night game. Defensively I was much, much better during the day. I could see, and track the ball much better, and you don't have to worry about the haze of the artificial lights. I also had a much better batting average during the day too.

As a fan, I also prefer to go to a baseball game during the day (except for some late July, early August games).

The Cubs, while they more often than not suck, have had some good years. Besides, when they choked in the playoffs, weren't most of those games night games?
    mca47 wrote:

The Cubs, while they more often than not suck, have had some good years. Besides, when they choked in the playoffs, weren't most of those games night games?

all were night games.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    mca47 wrote:

Wrigley may be tough to play in the daytime (mostly due to the sun's effects on the right side of the field), but the overwhelming majority of baseball players prefer to play in the day with natural light.

Even in my baseball days (now softball days), I'd take a day game any day over a night game. Defensively I was much, much better during the day. I could see, and track the ball much better, and you don't have to worry about the haze of the artificial lights. I also had a much better batting average during the day too.

As a fan, I also prefer to go to a baseball game during the day (except for some late July, early August games).

Easier or not, it's still the routine aspect. They just choked in the playoffs. If they have a more routine schedule, they will get into the playoffs more often. Remember, the other team gets to play in the daytime too with them so that negates that advantage.
    . If they have a more routine schedule, they will get into the playoffs more often.

all things being equal, they should win their division once every 6 years and the wild card once every 13 years.

they went to the playoffs 3 times in the last decade, so they are meeting the playoff target, at least recently. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    . If they have a more routine schedule, they will get into the playoffs more often.

all things being equal, they should win their division once every 6 years and the wild card once every 13 years.

they went to the playoffs 3 times in the last decade, so they are meeting the playoff target, at least recently. :lol:
    Well they have been throwing the money out there in recent years..

Still, in 102 years there has to be some trend thats hurting them. There HAS to be something about Wrigley. Poor management doesn't just last a century.
    81 wrote:

Well they have been throwing the money out there in recent years..

Still, in 102 years there has to be some trend thats hurting them. There HAS to be something about Wrigley. Poor management doesn't just last a century.

you can throw out 1909-1935 as day only games being the issue. first nigt game in mlb was played in 1935.

management plays a huge roll. just look at the Pirates, if they don't change their managment style, they'll go forever without even cracking 500. (18 and counting now)

you can make an arguement for pressure of not having won in forever. that's pretty big. what's the first thing the media will ask the new manager? the curse, the 100 year itch, the pressure of it all.

speaking of the media. that's over blown imo.

i guess you can blame some things on Wrigley, like the lack of work out space, batting practice space etc. but are they that bad, when compared to old yankee stadium or fenway?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Don't worry. Cubs will win the World Series in 2015 against Miami. Robert Zemeckis said so! 8-)
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
This discussion has been closed.