Options

THE OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    So, what do you guys think about the possibility of Reyes batting 3rd until Beltran comes back?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    The Champ wrote:
    So, what do you guys think about the possibility of Reyes batting 3rd until Beltran comes back?

well its a sure fire way to get backman as manager before june

my 2010 lineup till beltran comes back

1. reyes
    2. pagan
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. pitcher
    9. Castillo

my 2010 lineup after beltran comes back

1. reyes
    2. beltran
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. castillo
    9. pitcher
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

1. reyes
    2. pagan
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. pitcher
    9. Castillo

1. reyes
    2. beltran
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. castillo
    9. pitcher

So you're projecting a guy who didn't hit .250, has an on-base percentage of under .300 the last few seasons, struck out 132 times in 434 at-bats last season, to be the fifth hitter and every day first baseman. I have nothing against the guy and could see him making the team, but I don't see him as the regular first baseman over Murphy.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    :lol::lol:

this thread is the funniest thing on the AET

I agree. I really don't care about the Mets but watching a train wreck is always good. The combination of the champ's and metfan's posts, set against the Phillies' guys heckling will usually brighten my darkest mood.

I'm jealous that my suck ass team can't sustain a thread... :think:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

I agree. I really don't care about the Mets but watching a train wreck is always good. The combination of the champ's and metfan's posts, set against the Phillies' guys heckling will usually brighten my darkest mood.

Let's be fair, I own the Philly gang in here and in their thread ;) ....and I enjoy taking jabs at Metsy too when there is a lull :D ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    The Champ wrote:
    and I enjoy taking jabs at Metsy too when there is a lull :D ..

punching Metsy is like Tyson in his prime taking on me. just not much of a contest there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    and I enjoy taking jabs at Metsy too when there is a lull :D ..

punching Metsy is like Tyson in his prime taking on me. just not much of a contest there.
    you and jiggy are like ali's punches when he was past his prime. Your so bad you make boston lou look funny. That's how much your material sucks. Lol

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

1. reyes
    2. pagan
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. pitcher
    9. Castillo

1. reyes
    2. beltran
    3. wright
    4. bay
    5. jacobs
    6. francoeur
    7. barajas
    8. castillo
    9. pitcher

So you're projecting a guy who didn't hit .250, has an on-base percentage of under .300 the last few seasons, struck out 132 times in 434 at-bats last season, to be the fifth hitter and every day first baseman. I have nothing against the guy and could see him making the team, but I don't see him as the regular first baseman over Murphy.

I'd rather have a true 1st baseman then some guy who was drafted at 2nd base and failed and then was put in LF and failed and is now at 1st base and looks horrible. If murphy is so good then why is keith teaching him. Jacobs also has more power then murphy and the mets need all of it they can get. Murphy is a nice bench player and that's all is he.

• Options
    good counter argument, all valid points, I personally think Murphy could have used another year where he starts in the minors and then gets promoted if he's any good. With Jacobs, I don't think he would be awful, but in terms of recent history and that includes his defense, Murphy has the slight edge in the organization's view.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    I personally think Murphy could have used another year where he starts in the minors and then gets promoted if he's any good. With Jacobs, I don't think he would be awful, but in terms of recent history and that includes his defense, Murphy has the slight edge in the organization's view.
    I fully agree with that. They coulda very easily put him up in buffalo for a year and let him get to know 1st base and bulk up a little more. They mets have handle this wrong from the start. Yea I don't have much faith with this organization view of talent. They thought milladge(sp) was the next big thing or f-mart.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    imalive wrote:

step right up and.... :mrgreen::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :mrgreen: Citi Field Falling Apart
    From the New York Post:

Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.

A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan. 25 -- more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is falling.

Citi Field is apparently plagued by an array of design issues with falling concrete, flooding, and poor wiring throughout the entire park. Utley's Corner remains immaculately groomed, however.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    just ran across this in regards to fantasy drafts....
    Household Name: David Ortiz, DH, BOS: ADP 184.27: The face of the Red Sox organization since 2003, Ortiz is revered in Sawx Nation to the point where most New Englanders have taken his admittance of using PEDs with the same trivial plight of being unable to find a parking spot on a Saturday night in downtown Boston. His peculiar inability to hit the long ball during the first two months of last season was well documented (his first homer came on May 21), as was his power resurgence in the second half (20 HR, 63 RBI). It would be foolish to draft Papi for his volatile power numbers again this year, and it will be a struggle for him to hit above the Mendoza line when all is said and done. A perfect example of drafting a name over (declining) skills.

Cheaper Alternative: Daniel Murphy, 1B, NYM - ADP 329.64: Murphy's second-half stats (.283/.478/.796, 7 HR, 39 RBI) provide reason for excitement in 2010. He saw a massive power spike in the second half, and a very promising uptick in flyball ratio. Despite playing in a "pitcher"s park, Citi Field's shortest porch is the right field fence at 330 ft., which will certainly benefit the left-handed Murphy. His relatively high flyball rate means the power is there, and his elevated line drive rate in the second half may indicate his batting average will hover around .270-.280, rather than the .242 he hit during the first half. With Carlos Delgado (hip surgery) still unsigned and on the shelf for at least four months, he'll have first base all to himself, with only the underachieving Nick Evans and possibly Mike Jacobs behind him to take minimal at-bats. This may be the 25 year-old's time to shine, and it wouldn't surprise me to see his power numbers rival or exceed Big Papi's by the end of the year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    :mrgreen: Citi Field Falling Apart
    From the New York Post:

Opening day is a month away, and the Mets are already falling apart.

A giant piece of the marquee Citi Field sign came crashing down on Jan. 25 -- more evidence for beleaguered Met fans that the sky really is falling.

Citi Field is apparently plagued by an array of design issues with falling concrete, flooding, and poor wiring throughout the entire park. Utley's Corner remains immaculately groomed, however.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    they should just rename it shea stadium already. Its already got the charm like shea does. To bad citi field doesn't have the drunks in the upper deck. Something citi field is missing badly.

• Options
    The young prospects have been impressive thus far:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/sport ... 7mets.html
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

hope springs eternal in spring training.....

well, expcet for the Pirates...everybody knows they are going to suck again. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    when has a met prospect ever been good since strawberry. who could ever forget the great Anthony Young or generation K or jay payton. Ike Davis looks good, but Manuel would rather have Murphy at 1st base then davis :roll: .

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    when has a met prospect ever been good since strawberry. who could ever forget the great Anthony Young or generation K or jay payton. Ike Davis looks good, but Manuel would rather have Murphy at 1st base then davis :roll: .

I seem to recall that David Wright was highly touted and Gregg Jefferies would have been good if he could have grown a pair when dealing with some veteran members of the scum bunch.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Reyes out 2-8 weeks with a thyroid problem. Who the hell even knows what their thyroid levels are?? The kid is a 26 year old professional athlete..what a fucking joke....should kick myself for expecting different results with this shitty team..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    The Champ wrote:
    Reyes out 2-8 weeks with a thyroid problem. Who the hell even knows what their thyroid levels are?? The kid is a 26 year old professional athlete..what a fucking joke....should kick myself for expecting different results with this shitty team..
    Paper said that Thyroid gets affected from PED's
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I seem to recall over the years I was the one calling for reyes to be traded and everyone laughing at me and saying you can't trade away a franchise player. Well do you all still feel that way bout him now

Can we now say reyes is a BUST

He's becoming like that islanders goaltender that's always getting hurt

• Options
    The Champ wrote:

I know. My mom is a thyroid cancer survivor for 10 years. She takes a medication called synthroid every morning.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

I know. My mom is a thyroid cancer survivor for 10 years. She takes a medication called synthroid every morning.

Glad your mom is okay! Still, I have never heard of a hyper thyroid problem or whatever sidelining a professional athlete in his prime....only the fucking Mets..lol....players used to be so much tougher back in the day..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Paper said that Thyroid gets affected from PED's

Reyes needs to shoot something else right into his neck and get his little bitch ass back on the field..so tired of this pussy shit with him..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    I seem to recall over the years I was the one calling for reyes to be traded and everyone laughing at me and saying you can't trade away a franchise player. Well do you all still feel that way bout him now

Can we now say reyes is a BUST

He's becoming like that islanders goaltender that's always getting hurt

If this season doesn't pan out for him, yeah he'll be a bust for sure....and our team will suck..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Glad your mom is okay! Still, I have never heard of a hyper thyroid problem or whatever sidelining a professional athlete in his prime....only the fucking Mets..lol....players used to be so much tougher back in the day..

Thanks. We've been laughing at the Mets for this, saying all Reyes has to do is take his daily thyroid medication and he'll be fine.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    lol

If this was anyother player I doubt it be a big deal

If I were the mets I'd seriously consider drafting a SS in this years 1st round draft or within the first few rounds. Its time to turn the page on reyes.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    lol

If this was anyother player I doubt it be a big deal

If I were the mets I'd seriously consider drafting a SS in this years 1st round draft or within the first few rounds. Its time to turn the page on reyes.

There is a pretty damn good kid on the market that the yankees are making a hard run at.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

i know a could people who have a thyroid condition. its not a lot of fun. your weight really can fluctuate. it's not too common so thats why champ may not have heard about a pro athlete having it though.

either way....i LOVE this thread for comedy relief! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

step right up aaaaand.... :lol::lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg