Options

THE OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Anyone else catch our fumbling idiot of a GM on SNY's Mets Hot Stove last night? He made a few good points about expectations from our current pitching staff and how some of the mediocre free agent pitchers available this year like Pineiro were comparable to the current staff, especially when considering 2007 and 2008 performances....Lackey would have been nice though.....and Omar is still a fucking idiot..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Looks like Murphy is putting in a lot of work.....but enough with the platoon with Tatis shit....just let the kid have a legitimate shot for a season and enough with the fucking games..

Mets need to give Murphy 'first' shot

By KEVIN KERNAN

Last Updated: 10:28 AM, January 28, 2010

Posted: 3:06 AM, January 28, 2010

PORT ST. LUCIE -- The Mets need to cut the Carlos Delgado cord and allow Daniel Murphy to play first base with Ike Davis just around the corner in the minor leagues.

Murphy was the only "regular" to show up for the Mets' three-day voluntary mini-camp. He has re-invented himself as a player. He is quicker and stronger. He knew he had to do something to improve his skills.

The left-handed hitting Murphy, who could wind up sharing the position with Fernando Tatis, always has been about doing extra work in the batting cage in the offseason. As a result, he didn't put the time in to improve defensively, but this offseason Murphy made a major change in his workout program. He knew he had to get quicker and stronger, so he basically signed up for an NFL-type workout in Jacksonville, using the same tools and gym that some Jacksonville Jaguars use.

"I got focused more on footwork type drills," Murphy told The Post, noting that he was doing the same kind of drills in the workout facility as Jaguars defensive linemen Greg Peterson and Quentin Groves. "I really feel a difference. I've got a little more balance, a little more feeling on my feet."

That's made him quicker around the bag.

"I started working out earlier, running earlier, I didn't focus on hitting as much," Murphy said. "I would just go out to hit two days a week, not try to be in midseason form in spring training."

As a result, there is a physical difference, too. Murphy is weighing in at 215, about seven pounds heavier than last season, but he has less body fat and more muscle.

Hitting coach Howard Johnson said Murphy has made some major adjustments and is no longer trying to hit the inside pitch the opposite way. He is pulling the pitches he needs to pull and going away with pitches that are away, in essence, using the entire field, something he did not do last season when he batted .266.

"I think people are underestimating his impact," Johnson said. "I feel like he's on target to do some really big numbers."

Johnson said he believes Murphy can double his home-run output from 12 to 24 as a result of the changes. The Mets need to get as much power from Murphy as possible. They recently scouted Delgado in Puerto Rico, but he did not play the field. Delgado is sitting on 473 home runs and desperately wants to reach the 500 level. The Mets must get power from somewhere.

Murphy produced 38 doubles last season, and with a little better approach, some of those doubles can be home runs.

"Making adjustments at the plate is going to be big for him, which I thought he did at the end of last year," manager Jerry Manuel said, adding Murphy could become a multi-positional player like Mark DeRosa.

Murphy, 24, said last season was a struggle. "I felt like I wasn't doing anything at all and that's a helpless feeling," he said. "But I just kept grinding."

First base is a much more natural fit for Murphy than the outfield.

"I'm just more comfortable in the dirt," he said. "I'm just going to prepare myself as if I'm going to be playing first base, trying to help this team win, but any move they make, they are going to have the best interests of the team in mind.

"I think our motto is 'just do your job', if everybody does their job we'll be right where we need to be."

Murphy has two roommates back home in Jacksonville: his younger brother, Jonathan, a center fielder for Jacksonville University, and Johnson's son, Glen, an infielder on that team. Murphy worked out two hours a day at The HIT (High Intensity Training) Center and also worked at Jacksonville University.

"I'll be back here on Super Bowl Sunday [Feb. 7]," Murphy said. "I can't wait to get going."

The Mets need to give him the opportunity to succeed at first base.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:kevin.kernan@nypost.com">kevin.kernan@nypost.com</a><!-- e -->
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    The Champ wrote:
    Anyone else catch our fumbling idiot of a GM on SNY's Mets Hot Stove last night? He made a few good points about expectations from our current pitching staff and how some of the mediocre free agent pitchers available this year like Pineiro were comparable to the current staff, especially when considering 2007 and 2008 performances....Lackey would have been nice though.....and Omar is still a fucking idiot..
    the whole front office are fucking idiots. this team will never be good as long as the coupon family are owners. this franchise was and always will be a mickey mouse organization. just once i'd like the mets to go out and be like the yankees. the coupons fuck up everything.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,797
    edited January 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    the whole front office are fucking idiots. this team will never be good as long as the coupon family are owners. this franchise was and always will be a mickey mouse organization. just once i'd like the mets to go out and be like the yankees. the coupons fuck up everything.

Ya mean how they didn't spend money on Beltran, K-Rod, Delgado(yeah, it was a trade, but they paid it other than '06), Wagner, Perez(which didn't make a lick of sense), Pedro and Tom Glavine back in the day? Yeah, those Mets are real cheap skates. I fucking love it.

EDIT: I'll keep adding names to this list as I see fit. :thumbup:
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Ya mean how they didn't spend money on Beltran, K-Rod, Delgado, Perez(which didn't make a lick of sense), Pedro back in the day? Yeah, those Mets are real cheap skates. I fucking love it.
    i meant spend wisely. yea they spend money but on guys who are over the hill or suck or don't even wanna come here like beltran. kinda funny how no one wanted to give k-rod a contract. what does that tell you bout k-rod, over-rated. you forgot the great tom glavine and mo vaughn and who can ever forget signing bobby bonilla not once but twice. now where gonna bring in smoltz, oh joy. i don't want a fucking brave on this team.

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,797
    metsfan wrote:
    Ya mean how they didn't spend money on Beltran, K-Rod, Delgado, Perez(which didn't make a lick of sense), Pedro back in the day? Yeah, those Mets are real cheap skates. I fucking love it.
    i meant spend wisely. yea they spend money but on guys who are over the hill or suck or don't even wanna come here like beltran. kinda funny how no one wanted to give k-rod a contract. what does that tell you bout k-rod, over-rated. you forgot the great tom glavine and mo vaughn and who can ever forget signing bobby bonilla not once but twice. now where gonna bring in smoltz, oh joy. i don't want a fucking brave on this team.

Alright, good. If you want to call them inept, fine. BUT DON'T YOU DARE CALL THEM CHINTZY!
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

Alright, good. If you want to call them inept, fine. BUT DON'T YOU DARE CALL THEM CHINTZY!
    :lol::lol:

ok

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    beat the mets. beat the mets. step right up and...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Wow, already? Let's calm down and see how the season unfolds....one damn championship in God knowns how many years for Philly and they act like they're the Jets and talk like Rex Ryan ;) .....still obsessed with NYC and the Mets though....anyway, enjoy your weekends, fuckers..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    The Champ wrote:

Wow, already? Let's calm down and see how the season unfolds....one damn championship in God knowns how many years for Philly and they act like they're the Jets and talk like Rex Ryan ;) .....still obsessed with NYC and the Mets though....anyway, enjoy your weekends, fuckers..

love it :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

love it :lol::lol:

'It,' as in what exactly?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    seen Jose tearing up a strength and conditioning program
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    I really like the mike jacobs signing. Let's hope he can beat out murphy for the job. To think I was feel for the mets kool aid of murphy.

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    metsfan wrote:
    I really like the mike jacobs signing. Let's hope he can beat out murphy for the job. To think I was feel for the mets kool aid of murphy.

I wouldn't give up on Murphy just yet, especially since he's working on his fielding with Keith Hernandez, the best fielding first baseman in Met history.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

I wouldn't give up on Murphy just yet, especially since he's working on his fielding with Keith Hernandez, the best fielding first baseman in Met history.

I agree...and I hope the Mets give him a legitimate shot this year. One full year at first base and we'll all know for certain....though I'm sure the Mets will fuck this up by platooning him with Tatis and Jacobs..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

I agree...and I hope the Mets give him a legitimate shot this year. One full year at first base and we'll all know for certain....though I'm sure the Mets will fuck this up by platooning him with Tatis and Jacobs..
    just last year your were calling murphy a bum and now this. funny how we changed feelings on murphy.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    just last year your were calling murphy a bum and now this. funny how we changed feelings on murphy.

Things change fast around here! I warmed up to Murphy at the end of last season and I don't think it's fair to dick him around..give him a legitimate shot, or don't....besides, I bought the damn Murphy hat to go with all my Beltran shirts ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Things change fast around here! I warmed up to Murphy at the end of last season and I don't think it's fair to dick him around..give him a legitimate shot, or don't....besides, I bought the damn Murphy hat to go with all my Beltran shirts ;) ..
    he dicked himself around by playing so poorly in left field. his numbers are ok for a bench player. jacobs gives us a legitimate home run threat unlike murphy whose a doubles hitter. 8 of 12 murphys homers were when september call ups happened. i hope to god ike davis is the real deal or else where fucked at 1st base next year like this year.

• Options
    next time i sit in left field and murphy's playing, I'm going to heckle him by yelling - "You're a 5, You're a 5"..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    next time i sit in left field and murphy's playing, I'm going to heckle him by yelling - "You're a 5, You're a 5"..
    LMAO!!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    LMAO!!!

wonder if anyone else will get that reference?
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    LMAO!!!

wonder if anyone else will get that reference?

Sounds familiar..Seinfeld?
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    8 of 12 murphys homers were when september call ups happened.

haha, you seriously need to stop listening to Francesa, or at least stop blatantly plagiarizing him ;) ....he is a Met and Jet hater and makes his living tweaking the schmucks who follow them....maybe Murphy's late season improvement can be attributed to playing a position that he can handle and doesn't cause him embarrassment on a daily basis...perhaps that led to him hitting the ball more consistently at the plate as well...or maybe he just, you know, got better with more experience as young players tend to do....but no, it can only be because of the September call-ups according to Fatso....you drink his coke filled koolaid like us Jet fans suck on Ryan's tit ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol::lol:

this thread is the funniest thing on the AET
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    metsfan wrote:

technically his HR count by month was

April - 1
    May - 3
    June - 1
    July - 1
    August - 1
    September - 4
    October - 1

come on metsy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    LMAO!!![/quote]

wonder if anyone else will get that reference?[/quote]

Sounds familiar..Seinfeld?[/quote]

ask black diamond, he knows it.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

April - 1
    May - 3
    June - 1
    July - 1
    August - 1
    September - 4
    October - 1

come on metsy

This is what happens when you accept Mike Francesa's bullshit as fact ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    81 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

April - 1
    May - 3
    June - 1
    July - 1
    August - 1
    September - 4
    October - 1

come on metsy

This is what happens when you accept Mike Francesa's bullshit as fact ;) ..
    kinda like jet fans beliving ryan's bs as fact ;);). 12 homers is still poor for a 1st basemen. Jacobs will have that many in april and may. Also I hear barajas is close to being signed. That be a great move.

Btw- where the hell is yosi and tgh or was it thc. Can't remember that board members name. I hope yosi is doing well.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    kinda like jet fans beliving ryan's bs as fact ;);). 12 homers is still poor for a 1st basemen. Jacobs will have that many in april and may. Also I hear barajas is close to being signed. That be a great move.

Btw- where the hell is yosi and tgh or was it thc. Can't remember that board members name. I hope yosi is doing well.

So now with your first sentence you sort of plagiarized me too as I just made that very comparison ;) ...you are a barrel of laughs Metsy....and let's not forget that Murphy led the team with those 12 homers...pathetic but true......and yeah, not sure where those fuckers you mentioned are..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    The Champ wrote:
    and let's not forget that Murphy led the team with those 12 homers

that is bad...even the suckass pirates had 4 guys hit 12 or more :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg