Options

THE OFFICIAL NEW YORK METS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    *YAWNS*

tcaporale wrote:
    So are you guys going to get Bay?

I'm a Yankees fan, and as such I usually hate the Mets, but now I'm kind of rooting for them for some reason.

Yeah, it's called pity.
    We don't need your stinking Pity!!
    +1
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    metsfan wrote:
    *YAWNS*

+1

:mrgreen: Three words:

Shit......eating....grin.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    metsfan wrote:
    *YAWNS*

+1

LMFAO

Mets will still have 85 wins
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

LMFAO

That's right. Baby steps.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    metsfan wrote:

LMFAO

That's right. Baby steps.

so that's what....3rd place?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Biggest signing since the Santana trade and not one mets fan in here is excited??
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Yankee fan, but...... Jason Bay is a huge PJ fan so he is OK in my book. I think that is why Theo signed him in the first place.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Still no Mets fans excited? Isn't there someone around these parts named "metsfan"?

I will say...what a horrible signing. A guy with gigantic holes in his swing, strikes out 150 times a season, absolutely horrendous in the field (playing in Citi Field at that) and health questions...for possibly 5 years and $80 mil...ouch. Should have given up the cash for Holliday.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Biggest signing since the Santana trade and not one mets fan in here is excited??
    Nope even metsfan changed his name to Islanders fan. Sad day when there only true fan cant take it anymore.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Nope even metsfan changed his name to Islanders fan. Sad day when there only true fan cant take it anymore.

lets face it: the mets are irrelevant at this point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Extremely excited about this signing...Bay fits the park pretty well and we know already that he'll handle the New York pressure as he excelled filling in for Manny in Boston...
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

lets face it: the mets are irrelevant at this point.

Let's face it, the Mets now have the best outfield in baseball..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

162-0. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Not even close..aside from Santana, our rotation is a fucking mess..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Not even close..aside from Santana, our rotation is a fucking mess..

That's why they should've opened the check book up on Lackey and Pineiro. Just like Busch Stadium enhances pitchers, so will Citi Field.

On a related note, it's funny how Fenway bolsters players stats. Hence, why Jim Rice doesn't belong anywhere near the Hall of Fame. Along with many other Boston players....
  • Options
    I like Bay, but I don't get this signing. I know that Mets have serious power issues (less than 100 HR's last year), but still, what is adding another bat going to do against the Phillies?

It's too bad.... Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Bay looks very good, but it will be wasted 4 out of 5 games.
  • Options
    That's why they should've opened the check book up on Lackey and Pineiro. Just like Busch Stadium enhances pitchers, so will Citi Field.

On a related note, it's funny how Fenway bolsters players stats. Hence, why Jim Rice doesn't belong anywhere near the Hall of Fame. Along with many other Boston players....

Yeah well can't really expect the Met organization to be completely competent..though I'll give Omar a little credit here as he did a good job with the Bay signing..

And it's pretty funny to hear a Philly fan talk about a ballpark bolstering player stats ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I like Bay, but I don't get this signing. I know that Mets have serious power issues (less than 100 HR's last year), but still, what is adding another bat going to do against the Phillies?

It's too bad.... Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Bay looks very good, but it will be wasted 4 out of 5 games.

Well they desperately needed pop and a left fielder..Bay is a solid player and his pull swing fits the dimensions of the ballpark pretty well, in terms of knocking them out....you're right though, the rotation is pretty fucking shitty..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

Yeah well can't really expect the Met organization to be completely competent..though I'll give Omar a little credit here as he did a good job with the Bay signing..

And it's pretty funny to hear a Philly fan talk about a ballpark bolstering player stats ;) ..

That's why I roll my eyes at The Bank comments. I never understood problem with The Bank other than the wall only being about 7 feet high in left field. It's at least 330 down each line compared some other atrocious parks (Yankee stadium is no more than 318 down either line - old and new - with 6 foot high walls). And Philly was 16th in HR factor this past season. If there's anything that's overblown in baseball right now, it's the reputation of Citizens Bank Park. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

And not to mention every Phil's numbers are just as good on the road as at home. They're a beast.

And what's more surprising is Omar didn't sign a player with a Z at the end of his name.

EDIT: Actually Citi was higher on the list than The Bank. Probably because of "Utley's Corner." Remember, named by your announcers.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

That's why I roll my eyes at The Bank comments. I never understood problem with The Bank other than the wall only being about 7 feet high in left field. It's at least 330 down each line compared some other atrocious parks (Yankee stadium is no more than 318 down either line - old and new - with 6 foot high walls). And Philly was 16th in HR factor this past season. If there's anything that's overblown in baseball right now, it's the reputation of Citizens Bank Park. http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

And not to mention every Phil's numbers are just as good on the road as at home. They're a beast.

And what's more surprising is Omar didn't sign a player with a Z at the end of his name.

Touchy subject ;) ....yup, I guess it's a common misconception as it's widely accepted that your team plays in a sandbox..oh well..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Touchy subject ;) ....yup, I guess it's a common misconception as it's widely accepted that your team plays in a sandbox..oh well..

Bandbox. Bandbox is the term these worthless cretins on TV use. Yes, touchy subject. :D
  • Options
    Fenway gives and takes away. it's usually pretty neutral. Bay hit more home runs on the road -21 than at home -16. But hey, bust on the Sox cause it's fun.

21st in HR. Higher Doubles rate. Are you saying that Rice made the hall of fame for his doubles? :roll:
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Fenway gives and takes away. it's usually pretty neutral. Bay hit more home runs on the road -21 than at home -16. But hey, bust on the Sox cause it's fun.

21st in HR. Higher Doubles rate. Are you saying that Rice made the hall of fame for his doubles? :roll:

No, he made it because of his home stats. Look at his stats away from Fenway - .277/.330/.459. Yeah, they're hall of fame worthy. :roll: My point is he was marginally borderline that never deserved to cross the border.

The dude got used to pulling the ball, which made him even worse away from Fenway. Plus, he spent a third of his career at the DH - and that'll be like more than one punter getting into Canton. Edgar should be the only one ever allowed in for that position - so far at least.

And referring to Bay - I'm not exactly talking about HR's. We were talking about HR's when it came to Citi Field. You can score a lot of RBI's when the balls clanking off a 90 foot wall.

EDIT: And, yes, most HOF's have nearly the same, if not more, doubles than HR's. Doubles are more of a sound stat - other than at Fenway - of a good hitter than triples or HR's.
  • Options

No, he made it because of his home stats. Look at his stats away from Fenway - .277/.330/.459. Yeah, they're hall of fame worthy. :roll: My point is he was marginally borderline that never deserved to cross the border.

The dude got used to pulling the ball, which made him even worse away from Fenway. Plus, he spent a third of his career at the DH - and that'll be like more than one punter getting into Canton. Edgar should be the only one ever allowed in for that position - so far at least.

And referring to Bay - I'm not exactly talking about HR's. We were talking about HR's when it came to Citi Field. You can score a lot of RBI's when the balls clanking off a 90 foot wall.

EDIT: And, yes, most HOF's have nearly the same, if not more, doubles than HR's. Doubles are more of a sound stat - other than at Fenway - of a good hitter than triples or HR's.
    Most hitters hit better away from their home park. Very few don't. He has a pronounced split, but not of Coors Field proportions.

You're saying that his home stats are aided by Fenway and it's wall. I was merely pointing out that many Home Runs become doubles/singles and a few pop outs become HR at Fenway. It does play to a certain hitter, but most ballparks do. It may be unusual, but the Monster does not create HOF numbers, otherwise the park effect as a whole would be crazy and Boston would have a lot of HOF players. It creates extra doubles, and I maintain that doubles alone are not why he made it in to the HOF.

Rice may be borderline. I could see you saying that. You might be right. But you seem to have a position on the DH, one that obviously not everyone shares. You're pissed at Rice because you don't like the Sox, The DH, or Fenway.

Bay got a lot of RBI's because people got on base in front of him, a lot. Not because of Fenway, but because that's what the Sox players do. I happen to agree that his stats will go down and he'll be slightly overpaid. His best skill is RBI and that is a skill of opportunity. but he does have power, so for the first few years it'll be a decent deal. Just don't blame the whole drop in production on Fenway. He'll miss the rest of the Sox line up too.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options

Most hitters hit better away from their home park. Very few don't. He has a pronounced split, but not of Coors Field proportions.

You're saying that his home stats are aided by Fenway and it's wall. I was merely pointing out that many Home Runs become doubles/singles and a few pop outs become HR at Fenway. It does play to a certain hitter, but most ballparks do. It may be unusual, but the Monster does not create HOF numbers, otherwise the park effect as a whole would be crazy and Boston would have a lot of HOF players. It creates extra doubles, and I maintain that doubles alone are not why he made it in to the HOF.

Rice may be borderline. I could see you saying that. You might be right. But you seem to have a position on the DH, one that obviously not everyone shares. You're pissed at Rice because you don't like the Sox, The DH, or Fenway.

Bay got a lot of RBI's because people got on base in front of him, a lot. Not because of Fenway, but because that's what the Sox players do. I happen to agree that his stats will go down and he'll be slightly overpaid. His best skill is RBI and that is a skill of opportunity. but he does have power, so for the first few years it'll be a decent deal. Just don't blame the whole drop in production on Fenway. He'll miss the rest of the Sox line up too.

I'm not pissed at Rice, the Sox, or Fenway. I respect all three. But if you're gonna put Rice in, you better put Dick Allen in.
  • Options
    I can be hit or miss on the somebody else should be in because.........is. I mean I know Rice is borderline, but in a low power era he was a feared power hitter.

I assume because of the difference in stats you are thinking that Rice's inflated numbers equal Allen's ;pwer numbers? :D

Maybe, but Fenway depresses HR. It seems like I'd like that Allen guy too.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    The Champ wrote:

The Mets still suck! You heard it hear first.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:

The Mets still suck! You heard it hear first.

Not exactly groundbreaking news....anyway, you're from fucking Erie Pennsyltucky..pipe down ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I know I'm crazy, but I'm actually getting excited about the upcoming season..check out the potential lineup:

1. Reyes
    2. Castillo
    3. Wright
    4. Beltran
    5. Bay
    6. Delgado
    7. Francoeur
    8. Molina

That's pretty fucking good..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I know I'm crazy, but I'm actually getting excited about the upcoming season..check out the potential lineup:

1. Reyes
    2. Castillo
    3. Wright
    4. Beltran
    5. Bay
    6. Delgado
    7. Francoeur
    8. Molina

That's pretty fucking good..

...until you compare it to the back to back nl champs lineup. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg