Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Bye Ish.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    JK_Livin said:

Bye Ish.

thank god. last year's move to bring him back is one of the worst sixers trades ever.

I like the bayless pickup. Please, for the love of god, do not sign rondo. that's like banging a girl to intentionally give yourself AIDS
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,555
    edited July 2016
    Here's the stats for Furkan KORKMAZ, in the 2015 19U World Championships.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2015/Furkan-KORKMAZ
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,300
    Sixers are gonna have one hell of a Euro league team
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    I think Bayless is a good signing and he should play well with Simmons. Finally shooters!
    Kinda want Crabbe too (don't think he signed anywhere yet?) although I also think Covington will be better with better players around him. Plus his contract is such a steal.

Nice debut for the kid last night. He really sees the whole floor. Some of those passes were ridiculous.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Sixers get Gerald Henderson. I saw him play a lot at Episcopal Academy with Wayne Ellington. Those 2 were fun to watch play.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/sixers/Sixers-to-sign-local-standout-Gerald-Henderson-Jr-.html
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    If anything they have some semblance of an NBA backcourt with Bayless, Henderson and Sergio Rodriguez.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options

If anything they have some semblance of an NBA backcourt with Bayless, Henderson and Sergio Rodriguez.

Yup. All reasonable contracts too (shocking in today's NBA!), ahead of next year's deep back court draft.

Really liking Colangelo's work thus far...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Philadelphia 76ers Ben Simmons showing signs of superstar status?

by Kevin Pelton on 2016-07-13

Can an NBA player be a superstar without being an elite scorer?

That's the question Ben Simmons, the No. 1 overall pick of this year's NBA Draft by the Philadelphia 76ers, might end up posing.

During two games with the summer Sixers in the Utah Jazz Summer League, Simmons didn't do much scoring. But as Philadelphia prepares to head to Las Vegas for the NBA Summer League and a Saturday night showdown against the L.A. Lakers and No. 2 pick Brandon Ingram, Simmons has certainly shown the potential that made him the top pick last month.

Here's a thumbnail scouting report of Simmons' first two games as a pro:

Playmaking

Above anything else, Simmons' passing has stood out in Salt Lake City. Not necessarily in terms of assists, though Simmons had five in his debut Monday night and six more Thursday. Those numbers still can't do justice to the quality of Simmons' passing.

At times, Simmons finds open teammates before they even know they're open. When Simmons gets to training camp, expect a lot of passes bouncing off unaware teammates who aren't yet used to his court vision.

Few of Simmons' assists have been of the kind any player can get out of the flow of the offense. Instead, he throws high-value passes that tend to lead to layups -- Sixers center Richaun Holmes got two of those off Simmons feed in the first quarter alone Thursday night -- or open 3s.

And when Simmons spots the defense tilting his direction, leaving a shooter uncovered on the weak side, he's capable of whipping the ball crosscourt at high velocity with either hand -- something really only LeBron James does among veteran NBA players.

All of this suggests Philadelphia is wise to look at Simmons as a point guard, no matter which position he defends at the other end of the court. The 76ers signing Jerryd Bayless to a three-year contract suggests they're committed to this plan. Bayless will likely defend point guards while helping Simmons initiate the offense, and he's capable of playing off the ball when Simmons is running the show.

As a point guard, Simmons will have to avoid overdribbling and running down the shot clock, an occasional tendency presumably left over from the 30-second shot clock in the NCAA game.

Scoring

After scoring 10 points on Monday night before leaving due to calf cramping midway through the fourth quarter, Simmons had just six on Thursday. That's partially a function of Simmons driving to dish rather than to score, but he also shot 4-of-17 from the field in the two games.

On Monday, Philadelphia had success putting Simmons at the elbow, where a pull-up jumper is within his range and he can also use his quick first step to get to the basket. But even those midrange attempts weren't falling for Simmons on Thursday, reinforcing his weakness as a shooter.

We also saw Simmons struggle at times to score in traffic. The quality of rim protection is one of the biggest differences between the college game and the NBA, even in summer league, and that will be an adjustment for Simmons -- especially when opponents start playing him for the pass and staying home defensively.

Simmons will get points in the flow of the game, but at this stage of his career he's not a particularly good scorer.

Defense

Perhaps the most encouraging part of Simmons' debut was how well he competed at the defensive end. At LSU, Simmons' energy level on defense waned toward the end of the season as hopes of an NCAA tournament berth slipped away.

Physically, Simmons has the tools to defend either forward position. I particularly liked the way he used his long arms defending against guards on switches, playing off far enough to prevent penetration while still having the ability to contest a pull-up jumper.

Since the Sixers won't need a traditional point guard with Simmons, they could potentially put three wings on the court and switch any picks involving those players and Simmons.

Alas, that defensive effort didn't quite carry over on Thursday night. We didn't see Simmons in a defensive stance as consistently, and this time Utah journeyman Dionte Christmas beat him off the dribble when Simmons switched on to him. Keeping Simmons' defensive intensity up during his rookie season will be one of Brown's biggest challenges coaching him.

Overall

My college projections pegged Draymond Green as the closest comp for Simmons' freshman year, and after watching him in person this week I'm increasingly convinced that's the case -- on offense.

Obviously, Simmons doesn't have the same motor or basketball IQ that makes Green one of the league's top defenders, although he's bigger. In terms of how Simmons can impact a game offensively, however, I think Green (who ranked 10th in the league in offensive rating in ESPN's Real Plus-Minus) is a good parallel.

It took the Golden State Warriors a few seasons to figure out how to maximize Green as a point forward. That didn't really happen until this past season, in fact. Philadelphia can use that example to speed up the process with Simmons. Given his importance to the franchise, there's no other choice for the 76ers.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'd actually like to see him shoot a little more. The interview with Tom Chambers during the broadcast was very enjoyable. I taped the game then FF when Simmons is on the bench.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
  • Options
    Saric named Tournament MVP at Turin OQT

http://www.fiba.com/oqt/italy/2016/news/saric-named-tournament-mvp-at-turin-oqt

TURIN (2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments) - Dario Saric was named the Most Valuable Player at the 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) in Turin, after helping Croatia qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

The 2.07m forward averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds and 2.2 assists over the course of the competition and saved some of his best performances for when it mattered most. He had 16 points and 8 rebounds in a 66-61 Semi-Final win over Greece on Friday and followed that up with 18 points, 13 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals in Saturday's 84-78 overtime defeat of tournament hosts Italy.

Saric, 22, led all players in rebounding and ranked 7th in scoring.

FIBA
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Saric signing Friday.

It's all happening...

Also--can you imagine how attractive this team will be to free agents moving forward? Simmons is the exact kind of player they would want to play with. So excited for the future of this team.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Saric's plane is due to land around 4pm in Philly
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832
    JK_Livin said:

Saric's plane is due to land around 4pm in Philly

And John Clark will be there.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,300

Saric signing Friday.

It's all happening...

Also--can you imagine how attractive this team will be to free agents moving forward? Simmons is the exact kind of player they would want to play with. So excited for the future of this team.

yes, which makes it a good thing Hinkie is no longer around since you know every agent hated him and wouldn't let their players work out for him.
  • Options
    Coup in Turkey, Dario got out just in time! Always figured the instability of that area would play a role in his decision to take less money, initially, to play in NBA.

Great time to be a Sixers fans, folks.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Saric signing Friday.

It's all happening...

yes, which makes it a good thing Hinkie is no longer around since you know every agent hated him and wouldn't let their players work out for him.
    Hinkie died for our sins.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,265

Coup in Turkey, Dario got out just in time! Always figured the instability of that area would play a role in his decision to take less money, initially, to play in NBA.

guess you can now change the "tanking" part :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited July 2016

guess you can now change the "tanking" part :wink:
    Definitely. How bout "The Offical 2020 NBA Champion Sixers Thread?"

Haha
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    What a block by Saric to seal the win for Croatia. Big upset.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Only a couple months away!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Iverson is the god damn man.

That is all
  • Options
    Going to the home opener with a good size group. Should be a good time.
  • Options
    See you there Clifton
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

See you there Clifton

Word. Should be a good time.
  • Options

See you there Clifton

Been looking forward to it for about 3 years now. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

See you there Clifton

haha, yeah, no doubt. I think they are going to have a massive clean up of the court before the game when 12k people splurge when Simmons is announced.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832

See you there Clifton

haha, yeah, no doubt. I think they are going to have a massive clean up of the court before the game when 12k people splurge when Simmons is announced.
    What a mental image.