Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213

Wouldn't surprise me to see a 20 game improvement next year. Turn around will happen a lot faster than people think.

umm that would still put them in the bottom 5 teams in the NBA (only 4 won less than 30 this year). is that a turn around in your definition?
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see a 20 game improvement next year. Turn around will happen a lot faster than people think.

umm that would still put them in the bottom 5 teams in the NBA (only 4 won less than 30 this year). is that a turn around in your definition?
    why is it so hard for you to comprehend that they're not going to win the championship in two years? it just doesn't happen like that in the nba
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

why is it so hard for you to comprehend that they're not going to win the championship in two years? it just doesn't happen like that in the nba
    i am the only one comprehending how far away they still are away. As i said above I think they are at least 5 years away, if things break right, from the possibility of being considered really good. Juggler said a turnaround will happen faster than people think. moving from the worst team in the NBA to the 4th or 5th worst apparently is a big deal to him.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

The Fixer said:

pjhawks said:

i am the only one comprehending how far away they still are away. As i said above I think they are at least 5 years away, if things break right, from the possibility of being considered really good. Juggler said a turnaround will happen faster than people think. moving from the worst team in the NBA to the 4th or 5th worst apparently is a big deal to him.
    Impossible to know how long it will take. Rebuilding takes time. Worst thing they can do is try to rush through things (which is what I'm scared they will do).

A few astute moves and they could expedite their timeframe to contention. If they do things right they should be able to time their contention with the end of Lebron's prime. That's what I'd be doing if I had all of this young talent and incoming assets. That's what Hinkie was doing.

It's an exciting time to be a sixers fan. It's all going to come to fruition -- no one knows when because it depends on what they do. Getting the number one pick is a great next step.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    pjhawks said:

Winning 20 more games than the year before would actually be the definition of a turn around. A pretty big one. And a hell of a first step towards bigger and better things.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited May 2016
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Lakers were never losing that pick

which is exactly how I hoped it would play out.

perfection

All because of Hinkie. RIP SH
    Why would you not want the 4th pick this year?

Lakers won't be as bad next year
    draft class sucks this year.

Lakers will be terrible again next year -- and hopefully next year's draft class is better than this year (scouts are saying it will be). So even if the lakers improve I think there's a good chance that the sixers will get a better player next year, even if the lakers pick isn't as high as the 4th or 5th pick they could have gotten this year.

Also, the sixers are already implementing the first pick, simmons, embiid, and saric -- along with the two late first round picks. I think it's better to have a steady influx of talent each year than to have all of these assets cash in at once.

Plausible that they can have two top ten picks next year. Then two more first round picks in 2018. Then a bunch of second round picks on top of all of that.

Hinkie left them stacked. My biggest fear is the shithead colangelos screwing this all up

These videos in this article are great

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/5/17/11696630/sixers-fans-went-absolutely-nuts-no-1-pick
    Celebrating like you just won a championship over a number 1 pick is beyond embarrassing. Of all people, I'm surprised you'd think that's cool. I get being excited, but come on.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm looking forward to the ESPN 30 for 30 on "the process" in 10 years.

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Need a capable shooter and pg pronto. I'm good with Simmons or Ingram and glad we won that opportunity. I was really hoping for a shot at Murray or Dunn as well. I'm sure the Lakers will try to spend this year. Any reasonable PG's available in FA?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    That video from xfinity live was great.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

pjhawks said:

Winning 20 more games than the year before would actually be the definition of a turn around. A pretty big one. And a hell of a first step towards bigger and better things.
    man i love this theory. tank to have the 2nd worst record in the history of the NBA then act like getting up to the 5th worst team in the league is some kind of great achievement. the bar has never been so low in this town for some fans. kind of sad really.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    What's ironic is the guy who seems to be "comprehending" better than the rest us is the guy who types in run-on sentences. I love seeing a block of text, reading the first four words, then goin' NOPE.
  • Options

What's ironic is the guy who seems to be "comprehending" better than the rest us is the guy who types in run-on sentences. I love seeing a block of text, reading the first four words, then goin' NOPE.

Hurts that a guy who cheered a man getting cancer doesn't want to read my brilliance. #stayclassy
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I get both sides but a 20 win improvement would be nice. That means nothing though if you don't continue to improve.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Lakers were never losing that pick

which is exactly how I hoped it would play out.

perfection

All because of Hinkie. RIP SH
    Why would you not want the 4th pick this year?

Lakers won't be as bad next year
    draft class sucks this year.

Lakers will be terrible again next year -- and hopefully next year's draft class is better than this year (scouts are saying it will be). So even if the lakers improve I think there's a good chance that the sixers will get a better player next year, even if the lakers pick isn't as high as the 4th or 5th pick they could have gotten this year.

Also, the sixers are already implementing the first pick, simmons, embiid, and saric -- along with the two late first round picks. I think it's better to have a steady influx of talent each year than to have all of these assets cash in at once.

Plausible that they can have two top ten picks next year. Then two more first round picks in 2018. Then a bunch of second round picks on top of all of that.

Hinkie left them stacked. My biggest fear is the shithead colangelos screwing this all up

These videos in this article are great

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/5/17/11696630/sixers-fans-went-absolutely-nuts-no-1-pick
    Celebrating like you just won a championship over a number 1 pick is beyond embarrassing. Of all people, I'm surprised you'd think that's cool. I get being excited, but come on.
    It's more than just one pick. It's the culmination of three years of tanking. It was imperative to get the 1 or 2 pick in this draft.

Certainly doesn't fix everything, but it's a great step for this franchise.

More than any of the other major sports, I think having the first pick in the NBA is a huge deal
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Need a capable shooter and pg pronto. I'm good with Simmons or Ingram and glad we won that opportunity. I was really hoping for a shot at Murray or Dunn as well. I'm sure the Lakers will try to spend this year. Any reasonable PG's available in FA?

conley. apparently the spurs are going after him. not sure if there are any others.

I'm worried that the sixers are going to throw max money at derozen, who I wouldn't touch
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    someone's gotta go no?

embiid, saric, ingram/simmons, okafor, noel ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

someone's gotta go no?

plenty of time to figure that out. I love how people say they have to do this or they have to do that. The rebuild isn't going to happen overnight. Plenty of time and plenty of roster options. This stuff will work itself out, but it doesn't have to happen tomorrow.

I'm all for trading Okafor's fat ass. Keep seeing the rumor of Okafor and the Lakers pick for Jimmy Butler.
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

someone's gotta go no?

plenty of time to figure that out. I love how people say they have to do this or they have to do that. The rebuild isn't going to happen overnight. Plenty of time and plenty of roster options. This stuff will work itself out, but it doesn't have to happen tomorrow.

I'm all for trading Okafor's fat ass. Keep seeing the rumor of Okafor and the Lakers pick for Jimmy Butler.
    for sure there's plenty of time ... it's just a question of whether you can develop all those guys at the same time ...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

man i love this theory. tank to have the 2nd worst record in the history of the NBA then act like getting up to the 5th worst team in the league is some kind of great achievement. the bar has never been so low in this town for some fans. kind of sad really.
    Are you an idiot? Do you expect nothing short of a 50 game improvement in ONE season? Come on man....

Nothing wrong with setting realistic expectations. Like with the Phils. I'm totally fine with them winning 70-74ish games this year and watching their young players come up and give us hope for the future. You seem okay with that too. Next year with the Sixers would literally be the exact same situation.

This team's in better shape than they've been for much of the last 30 years.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited May 2016

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Are you an idiot? Do you expect nothing short of a 50 game improvement in ONE season? Come on man....

Nothing wrong with setting realistic expectations. Like with the Phils. I'm totally fine with them winning 70-74ish games this year and watching their young players come up and give us hope for the future. You seem okay with that too. Next year with the Sixers would literally be the exact same situation.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with that last sentence. They went to the finals much more recently than that. Are they setting themselves up for success? Sure, but to say that they are in a better spot than when they were one of the last 2 teams standing, nah. Basically, a finals appearance would be an outstanding outcome from this rebuild.

Edit: Missed the "for much of"....
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited May 2016

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

where the fuck did i ever say i expected huge improvement in a short time? jezzus man you said and i quote ""Wouldn't surprise me to see a 20 game improvement next year. Turn around will happen a lot faster than people think."

that's a direct quote from you. I said 3 years to be decent and 5 years to be really good. i mean wtf dude who is being unrealistic? that quote from you is what i have been responding to. my expectations are based in the reality of the situation.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

where the fuck did i ever say i expected huge improvement in a short time? jezzus man you said and i quote ""Wouldn't surprise me to see a 20 game improvement next year. Turn around will happen a lot faster than people think."

that's a direct quote from you. I said 3 years to be decent and 5 years to be really good. i mean wtf dude who is unrealistic?

Haha. Well I think them winning another 20 games next year would be a good start to that turn around. Wouldn't shock me to see them be in the mix for the 8th seed for a while as well. But wins and losses next year take a back seat to actually seeing the fruits of the last few season's labor on the floor together finally--they'll just have so much more talent that it will be hard not to be significantly better. And '17/'18 they should be a playoff team for sure.

God bless Sam Hinkie. They can now let these seeds start to sprout and get better while still have a shot at not one but two top ten picks over the next couple years.

Future's bright, my friends.

Go Sixers
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with that last sentence. They went to the finals much more recently than that. Are they setting themselves up for success? Sure, but to say that they are in a better spot than when they were one of the last 2 teams standing, nah. Basically, a finals appearance would be an outstanding outcome from this rebuild.

Yeah the edit is a huge deal. Other than a five year AI run and a few decent Barkley years (that '89/'90 team is still one of my all time fav teams of any sport) they are in better shape than the rest of those years going back to the early '80's.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Haha. Well I think them winning another 20 games next year would be a good start to that turn around. Wouldn't shock me to see them be in the mix for the 8th seed for a while as well. But wins and losses next year take a back seat to actually seeing the fruits of the last few season's labor on the floor together finally--they'll just have so much more talent that it will be hard not to be significantly better. And '17/'18 they should be a playoff team for sure.

God bless Sam Hinkie. They can now let these seeds start to sprout and get better while still have a shot at not one but two top ten picks over the next couple years.

Go Sixers

the underlined above is delusional and frankly utterly insane. so in 2 years they are going from 10 wins to a playoff team? sorry but that's utterly fucking absurd unless they sign a top 10 level free agent to add to the mix of young guys.

I guess you didn't quite understand the first time i mentioned that winning 20 more games next year still puts them in the bottom 5 of the NBA and nowhere near close to the playoffs. I think you are setting yourself up for a big letdown next year and the following year. Yes they will have a big talent upgrade but it will be incredibly young and inexperienced. It took OKC with Durant 3 years to make the playoffs. The T'Wolves with the last 2 NBA Rookies of the Year only won 29 games this year (albeit in a much tougher conference). and you expect this team and franchise to get 40 some wins in 2 years?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Yeah the edit is a huge deal. Other than a five year AI run and a few decent Barkley years (that '89/'90 team is still one of my all time fav teams of any sport) they are in better shape than the rest of those years going back to the early '80's.

yep, I agree. Larry Brown's whiny ass was never going to win a title here with Iverson as their best player. The run in '01 was fun, but it's not a coincidence that was the only run that team made.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Go Sixers

the underlined above is delusional and frankly utterly insane. so in 2 years they are going from 10 wins to a playoff team? sorry but that's utterly fucking absurd unless they sign a top 10 level free agent to add to the mix of young guys.

I guess you didn't quite understand the first time i mentioned that winning 20 more games next year still puts them in the bottom 5 of the NBA and nowhere near close to the playoffs. I think you are setting yourself up for a big letdown next year and the following year. Yes they will have a big talent upgrade but it will be incredibly young and inexperienced. It took OKC with Durant 3 years to make the playoffs. The T'Wolves with the last 2 NBA Rookies of the Year only won 29 games this year (albeit in a much tougher conference). and you expect this team and franchise to get 40 some wins in 2 years?
    are you aware that teams can make trades in the nba? doesn't seem like you are
  • Options
    this is the eastern conference here ... and the nba which is driven by top end talent ... if you are gonna name the top 5 players in the league ... a lot of peeps gonna pick lebron, steph, westbrook and durant ... and they are all in the CF ... raptors could have been any team in the east to be quite honest ... sixers could easily make playoffs next year because the east is that bad ...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    polaris_x said:

this is the eastern conference here ... and the nba which is driven by top end talent ... if you are gonna name the top 5 players in the league ... a lot of peeps gonna pick lebron, steph, westbrook and durant ... and they are all in the CF ... raptors could have been any team in the east to be quite honest ... sixers could easily make playoffs next year because the east is that bad ...

they could add 7 lottery picks to their roster over the next three years

embiid, saric, simmons/ingram this year
    sixers pick, lakers pick next year
    sixers pick, kings pick the following year

also have the most cap space in the league. conceivable at some point that they can add two max free agents

possibilities for adding talent are endless. they could definitely make playoffs next year -- all depends on what the offseason looks like. Again, I just hope they don't rush things to get into the playoffs.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    My God - 3 of the 4 sports teams had/have the top 2 picks within 3 months of each other. That sucks and is so awesome at the same time.
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

they could add 7 lottery picks to their roster over the next three years

embiid, saric, simmons/ingram this year
    sixers pick, lakers pick next year
    sixers pick, kings pick the following year

also have the most cap space in the league. conceivable at some point that they can add two max free agents

possibilities for adding talent are endless. they could definitely make playoffs next year -- all depends on what the offseason looks like. Again, I just hope they don't rush things to get into the playoffs.
    for sure looks like a great situation ... the only thing i would say is that basketball isn't like hockey or baseball ... you only play 10 guys of which your top 5 get most of the run ... within that top 5 - you need 2.5 elite talents (0.5 elite being your 6th man) and role players ... you also need continuity ... if this was hockey/baseball ... i'd say you are set up for a nice long run ... but because of salary caps and the smaller roster - the window to figure this out isn't as long as you think ...