Options

*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

The Fixer said:

Reading that letter makes you realize that nothing he did was done irrationally - everything he does/did was well thought out and had a very sound explanation.

Now it's all going to A) be reaped by a bunch of dipshits so other dipshits can be like, "SEE IT DIDN'T WORK YOU IDIOTS THIS IS REAL BASKETBALL", or B ) be totally torn apart.

Can't wait to trade away Saric's rights, Embiid, and one of our 1st round picks for Jeff Teague!

Exactly dude. Best comp I have for all of this is when I used to live in the city and it would snow. Spend hours digging out a parking spot for my car. Then when I move my car some dipshit takes my spot.

I loved the abe lincoln quote as well. 'give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four hours sharpening my axe.' Perfect summary of The Process.
    Haha, I cannot get down with that comparison, though, as a full-fledge resident of the city on a tiny street - if you're my neighbor and you shovel out that spot, you've gone to work, and there's isn't anything else available for me on the block - go pound sand (this all went down this past winter with the storm we had). And if you key my car the war is on. Luckily, my neighbors are reasonable people - I helped shovel your walk so go fuck yourself.

Absolutely - I think he went a little overboard with the, "this great person said this quote once" thing, but it helped drive home his points.
    Yeeeeeeah, fuck people saving parking spots
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited April 2016
    JK_Livin said:

This ownership group is a disaster. Whoever leaked that letter is a scumbag.

Yep. Fans should revolt.

This offseason will be terrifying.

Depressing. Really can't think of another time as a philly fan where I went from being super excited about the future of a team to feeling like it ended before it even started.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options

The Fixer said:

Reading that letter makes you realize that nothing he did was done irrationally - everything he does/did was well thought out and had a very sound explanation.

Now it's all going to A) be reaped by a bunch of dipshits so other dipshits can be like, "SEE IT DIDN'T WORK YOU IDIOTS THIS IS REAL BASKETBALL", or B ) be totally torn apart.

Can't wait to trade away Saric's rights, Embiid, and one of our 1st round picks for Jeff Teague!

Exactly dude. Best comp I have for all of this is when I used to live in the city and it would snow. Spend hours digging out a parking spot for my car. Then when I move my car some dipshit takes my spot.

I loved the abe lincoln quote as well. 'give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four hours sharpening my axe.' Perfect summary of The Process.
    Haha, I cannot get down with that comparison, though, as a full-fledge resident of the city on a tiny street - if you're my neighbor and you shovel out that spot, you've gone to work, and there's isn't anything else available for me on the block - go pound sand (this all went down this past winter with the storm we had). And if you key my car the war is on. Luckily, my neighbors are reasonable people - I helped shovel your walk so go fuck yourself.

Absolutely - I think he went a little overboard with the, "this great person said this quote once" thing, but it helped drive home his points.
    I disagree, though I will say I guess it depends on how much snow you have to shovel. If I spend a few hours shoveling out a spot I will fight to the death if someone ganks my spot.

This is one of the few things I don't miss about city living.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

I disagree, though I will say I guess it depends on how much snow you have to shovel. If I spend a few hours shoveling out a spot I will fight to the death if someone ganks my spot.

Thing is, it's not "your" spot. Nothing on the street is a driveway
  • Options

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

I know, but if someone spends hours shoveling out a spot they should have temporary ownership of the area that they shoveled out. It's common courtesy
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Man, the years prior to Hinkie must have been really bad for you 76ers fans if his concept of "the process" was a viable path forward. Hinkie basically tried to do on purpose what the Cleveland Browns have been doing, for what seems like, my entire life.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    He was hired to do a job.
    He did that job to perfection.
    Now, right when the job is all but over with the next phase literally weeks away, he's basically forced out in favor of Collangelo's son.

I take back any good words I had about this ownership group.

This team is in such a good spot to succeed right now. Probably better than at any point in the last 30 years. It's a shame Hinkie won't be around to enjoy the spoils of 3 years worth of his grunt work.

And fuck Collangelo for leaking his letter to the investors. What a snake.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

I know, but if someone spends hours shoveling out a spot they should have temporary ownership of the area that they shoveled out. It's common courtesy
    Gonna have to disagree - once you leave that spot you accept that that spot may not be there when you get back. It's also the downfall of this city are people "owning" spots. Thank god I don't have a car anymore - so much less hassle.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213

He was hired to do a job.
    He did that job to perfection.
    Now, right when the job is all but over with the next phase literally weeks away, he's basically forced out in favor of Collangelo's son.

I take back any good words I had about this ownership group.

This team is in such a good spot to succeed right now. Probably better than at any point in the last 30 years. It's a shame Hinkie won't be around to enjoy the spoils of 3 years worth of his grunt work.

And fuck Collangelo for leaking his letter to the investors. What a snake.

perfection? wow umm ok.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/15150647/did-sam-hinkie-help-hurt-philadelphia-76ers-nba
    Sam Hinkie leaves the Sixers better than he found them

Whatever you think of Sam Hinkie's method for rebuilding the Philadelphia 76ers over his three years as the team's general manager and president of basketball operations before stepping down Wednesday, there's one inescapable conclusion: Hinkie leaves the organization in better shape than he found it.

Because of the young players and draft picks the 76ers have amassed, their next general manager -- likely Bryan Colangelo, son of team chairman of basketball operations Jerry Colangelo, sources told ESPN's Marc Stein -- will be better positioned to succeed than Hinkie was when he took over the team in May 2013.
    What Hinkie inherited

The Sixers, who had won a playoff series a year earlier, in 2012, gave up star Andre Iguodala and recent draft picks Maurice Harkless and Nikola Vucevic as well as a future first-round pick in a trade for center Andrew Bynum during the summer of 2012. Bynum never took the court in the City of Brotherly Love and Philadelphia slipped to the lottery at 34-48.

Because of the Bynum trade, as well as one with the Miami Heat for Arnett Moultrie, when Hinkie arrived the 76ers had full control over just two of their first-round picks over a six-year span dating back to 2011.

Philly's 1st-round picks as of May 2013Year Status
    2011 Traded to Orlando (Vucevic)
    2012 Traded to Orlando (Harkless)
    2013 Owned by Philadelphia
    2014 Traded to Miami (lottery protected)
    2015 Owned by Philadelphia
    2016 Traded to Orlando (lottery protected)

Philadelphia still had some young talent on the roster in 2010 No. 2 overall pick Evan Turner, 2012 All-Star Jrue Holiday and Thaddeus Young, but of the group only Turner remained on his cost-controlled rookie contract. The Sixers were devoid of the cheap young talent that is the lifeblood of rebuilding organizations. So Hinkie set out to acquire it in extreme fashion.
    "The Process"

During his interview with ESPN's Zach Lowe on Tuesday's "Lowe Post" podcast, Hinkie disputed Lowe's assessment that Philadelphia had gone "all-in" on the draft. More than anything else, the 76ers' trades and the way the team made use of its cap space resulted in the 76ers piling up draft picks.

When Hinkie took over, Philadelphia was a net minus-two in terms of future draft picks potentially owed (to the Heat and Magic). But the Sixers will end up with both picks, since the lottery protection on the one traded to the Heat expired this season (Philadelphia will instead send a pair of second-round picks to the Boston Celtics, who inherited them in a subsequent trade with Miami) and the team reacquired the pick sent to Orlando in the Elfrid Payton-Dario Saric swap during the 2014 draft.

In addition to having all their own first-round picks, the 76ers acquired six additional first-round picks on Hinkie's watch -- two from the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for Holiday, used on Nerlens Noel and Payton; two in this year's draft from the Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder along with potentially a third from the Los Angeles Lakers that is top-three protected; and one coming from the Sacramento Kings in either 2018 or 2019.

Of course, Philadelphia also tried to maximize the value of its own picks by putting non-competitive teams on the court the past three seasons. The 76ers landed the No. 3 overall pick each of the past two seasons, drafting centers Joel Embiid and Jahlil Okafor.

The sum total of "the process" is that if the Sixers land the Lakers' pick this June, draft four players who join the team immediately and add Saric, Philadelphia could have as many as eight players -- more than half the roster -- on rookie contracts.
    Philly's 1st-round picks at presentYear Player/Status
    2013 Nerlens Noel
    2014 Joel Embiid
    2014 Dario Saric
    2015 Jahlil Okafor
    2016 Philadelphia
    2016 Miami
    2016 Oklahoma City
    2016 L.A. Lakers (protected)

While the Sixers' first-round picks have yet to yield the surefire superstar who can anchor the next great Philadelphia team, their sheer abundance gives the new front office a variety of paths to acquiring such a talent -- or that player might already be on the roster.

There's the possibility that one of the picks already on hand -- such as Embiid, considered a possible No. 1 overall pick in 2014 before the diagnosis of the fractured navicular that has kept him off the court the past two seasons -- develops better than expected. This year's 76ers selection could produce a star. Or Philadelphia could package multiple players and picks to trade for an established player.
    2016 NBA draft

Then there's the Sixers' cap space. By virtue of the rookie contracts on the books, along with minimum deals for role players such as Robert Covington, T.J. McConnell and Hollis Thompson, Philadelphia figures to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 million under the cap this summer -- enough to fit in a pair of max contracts for players with fewer than 10 years of experience.

Given their W-L record, it's tough to see the 76ers competing for such star players right away, but Jerry Colangelo's close relationship with stars thanks to his position as managing director of USA Basketball's Senior Men's National Team could eventually pay off in free agency.

The Colangelos certainly have difficult decisions ahead. Hinkie prioritized talent over fit, meaning Philadelphia has drafted three players in the lottery (Embiid, Noel and Okafor) who are naturally centers. Noel and Okafor had a difficult time coexisting this season, and adding Embiid would make the fit only more awkward.

To maximize their potential, the Sixers might have to trade one or more of the three players.

Still, having too much talent at one position is a better problem than the problems Philadelphia faced three years ago. Painful as they were, the past three seasons have put the 76ers much closer to building a contender than they were after the Bynum trade. And that, more than the results on Hinkie's watch, should determine his legacy in Philadelphia.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Like I said when he was hired, Hinkie is the best thing to happen to the sixers since they traded for moses. Now he's gone. Harris needs to sell the team.

This article sums it up...

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/4/7/11388576/sixers-rebuild-jerry-colangelo-sam-hinkie-bryan-colangelo

• Options
    edited April 2016
    “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”

Robert F. Kennedy, 1966

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/04/10/sam-hinkie-dared-to-be-great-for-sixers/

In mathematics this is frequently referred to as a J-Curve. It’s called that because, well, when the x-axis is defined as time and the y-axis as growth, it looks like a J.

It’s something that private equity guys, like the Sixers owners, are certainly familiar with. That the investment in the first couple of years is going to drastically outweigh the return, but will set you up for incredible future growth, growth potential that would not be possible without those initial down years.

It’s something that exists in the NBA as well, especially with the rules currently in place, which make the presence of a superstar even more rewarding than it otherwise would have been.

The problem is, the rules in the NBA also make the acquisition of a superstar harder than it normally would have been. So while the Sixers pursued a path — by dumping just-solid players with big contracts, chasing ping-pong balls, and taking long-term gambits with high upside — that virtually guaranteed hitting the dip in the above graph, the upside was never guaranteed, all the Sixers could chase was an improved probability.

Is it a possibility that none of these work out? That Joel Embiid can’t stay healthy, that Dario Saric isn’t a difference maker (or, worse, never comes over), that the Sixers fall to 4 in the draft, the Lakers pick ends up at 5th, Jahlil Okafor never improves his defense enough to turn a franchise around, and the cap space the Sixers have so meticulously kept can’t be used to attract a free agent, and these three years created a run to the lowest levels without the growth to be worthwhile? Of course.

That downside is easier for fans, and media members, to envision right now, because we’re in the middle of it. Growth is always hardest to identify when you’re in the trough. Pressure is at its maximum. Decisions, especially when driven by fear, pressure, and self-preservation, are at their worst.

That maximum upside, the best-case-scenario growth, is already less than in a perfect world. Fate has a way of doing that, which is no more readily evident for Sixers fans than turning on a Minnesota Timberwolves game and watching Karl-Anthony Towns, and dreaming what he might become over the years.

But there’s still quite a bit of upside left in the Sixers’ rebuild, upside that makes the risk worth it.

Joel Embiid still has the potential to be the most dominant big man this city has seen since Moses Malone, and that’s being conservative. Nerlens Noel the best defender since Dikembe Mutombo. If Embiid can’t stay healthy, either Brandon Ingram or Ben Simmons, of which the Sixers currently have a 50% chance of getting, an almost unheard of probability in these kind of things, would bring the best non-Embiid prospect since Allen Iverson.

This kind of upside, the upside of the possibility of Towns, Simmons, a healthy Embiid, is enough that I would happily go through the last three years of losing to chase once again. The upside is worth it. The economic reality of the NBA encourages it.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    all kinds of conspiracy theories floating around that silver promised the sixers a top 2 pick if they got rid of hinkie. probably far fetched, but not the craziest nba draft rumor I've ever heard

because I am a sixers fan and always will be, I'm sure I will get past the treatment of hinkie. I am not a fan of the colangelos, and never have been, but they just got a golden ticket based on where the sixers franchise currently is and how well they are set up for future success. A few deft moves and this team could get really good really fast. It sucks that these ass holes will get all of the credit for hinkie's hard work, but at the end of the day I will be pulling for these dickheads to make the right moves.

it all still feels like a kick in the balls though.

also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the celtics hire hinkie. In the resignation letter he practically gets on his knees while talking about danny ainge. And stevens is a big proponent of analytics. From the outside looking in, I think there is a natural fit there. And I'm sure Hinkie would like nothing more than to stick it to the sixers (I know I would if I were him).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    dysfunction running rampant. what a god damn mess

and for the record, mike d'antoni SUCKS as a coach. In my mind he's pretty much the worst possible scenario. Only time I've been a fan of his was when he was helping to ruin the knicks

man this blows...

http://www.libertyballers.com/2016/4/14/11430730/sixers-fire-brett-brown-or-not-mike-dantoni-bryan-colangelo-jerry-colangelo
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Awful.

Big coin flip today. Let's go Kings!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Awful.

Big coin flip today. Let's go Kings!

sure is. pulling for the heat as well right? I believe they have a four-way coin flip with the three other teams they tied with
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it won't take much to be a powerhouse in the eastern conference ... but one thing all good teams need is continuity ... you have to settle on a core and build around it ... who's that core?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    polaris_x said:

it won't take much to be a powerhouse in the eastern conference ... but one thing all good teams need is continuity ... you have to settle on a core and build around it ... who's that core?

TBD. Ton of assets in form of future picks, players who have yet to play for them (saric, embiid), ability to make trades, guys stashed overseas, and most cap space in the league.

I hope they trade okafor's fat ass this offseason
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

TBD. Ton of assets in form of future picks, players who have yet to play for them (saric, embiid), ability to make trades, guys stashed overseas, and most cap space in the league.

embiid looks like damaged goods ... franchise needs to make a commitment to a core group playing someone's system ... firing the coach sets you back ...
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

do you think anyone in this year's draft is going to be a better NBA player than Okafor? Unless you are absolutely certain Embiid will be healthy, and no one can know that, how can you trade Okafor? he is your only legitimate top level NBA prospect at the moment.
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

embiid looks like damaged goods ... franchise needs to make a commitment to a core group playing someone's system ... firing the coach sets you back ...
    I don't know if brett brown is the answer long term, but I know for a fact that d'antoni sucks. Hiring him is worst case scenario.

The roster is still taking form. They don't have a core yet, but it's coming. The next year or two years are going to shape the roster.

I'm still optimistic about embiid becoming a star. If he is healthy, they should trade okafor and re-sign nerlens. Grant and Holmes could be rotational pieces off the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsuQfRBQJUc
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

agree and they have had 3 drafts so far and don't seem committed to any of those players they drafted (well except maybe for the ones who have never played an NBA game). at some point you have to decide who the core is you are going to start with and build around it.
  • Options
    Guys...the "core" argument today is literally exactly the same as it was every single time this was brought up in the past year. Assets are coming over the next few months. The next phase is about deciding who the core is.

Collangelo lucked into such a good spot here. All the dirty work has been done for him.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Guys...the "core" argument today is literally exactly the same as it was every single time this was brought up in the past year. Assets are coming over the next few months. The next phase is about deciding who the core is.

Collangelo lucked into such a good spot here. All the dirty work has been done for him.

and you said the same thing last year, and the year before that so why would i suspect next year will be different. oh and the Celtics who are already much better have what 3 1st rounders this year? yea but great shape here.
  • Options
    in a way ... you guys are kind of like the oilers ... drafting forwards and no d or in this case guards ... you guys drafted a bunch of FCs over the past 3 years ... something's gotta give ... can't play noel, saric, embiid and okafor at the same time ...
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

and you said the same thing last year, and the year before that so why would i suspect next year will be different. oh and the Celtics who are already much better have what 3 1st rounders this year? yea but great shape here.
    Nope. Go back to what I said the last time this popped up. Always been about this summer. Literally nothing has changed since that Decemberish discussion we had.

Celtics are in good shape, sure. Last year people cited the Bucks as a team the Sixers should emulate. Yeah, that's not working out too well. Only problem with this process thus far is the Sixers have not had as much luck as one would like. Hopefull that changes in the next few weeks.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

in a way ... you guys are kind of like the oilers ... drafting forwards and no d or in this case guards ... you guys drafted a bunch of FCs over the past 3 years ... something's gotta give ... can't play noel, saric, embiid and okafor at the same time ...

And they won't. They have been drafting best player available in hopes one of them turns into a star. Just so happens they are all big men. Next season is when you will finally have all these pieces on the floor together. The ones that fit will stay. The ones that don't will get traded for better fits.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016

polaris_x said:

And they won't. They have been drafting best player available in hopes one of them turns into a star. Just so happens they are all big men. Next season is when you will finally have all these pieces on the floor together. The ones that fit will stay. The ones that don't will get traded for better fits.
    also more difficult to find big men than guards --- and the three big men they took were the correct picks. the only one you can really argue with is okafor over porzingis (I think both of them are overrated -- porzingis moreso due to the nyc hype)

I don't understand why people have such a hard time grasping The Process. It's not rocket science...was never going to happen overnight, especially when you consider the platter of shit that hinkie was served when he took over.

They are in great shape (as long as colangelo doesn't fuck it up, which is a distinct possibility). It's just going to take time. Any smart fan (an oxymoron in philadelphia) isn't looking for a quick fix here.

Sure there have been bumps in the road (embiid, missing the heat and thunder picks each by one spot in the standings last year, etc), but things are still on track. I love this picture as a visual -- might help some people understand better

http://www.encognitive.com/files/images/success--the road to success.preview.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Fixer said:

polaris_x said:

also more difficult to find big men than guards --- and the three big men they took were the correct picks. the only one you can really argue with is okafor over porzingis (I think both of them are overrated -- porzingis moreso due to the nyc hype)

I don't understand why people have such a hard time grasping The Process. It's not rocket science...was never going to happen overnight, especially when you consider the platter of shit that hinkie was served when he took over.

They are in great shape (as long as colangelo doesn't fuck it up, which is a distinct possibility). It's just going to take time. Any smart fan (an oxymoron in philadelphia) isn't looking for a quick fix here.

Sure there have been bumps in the road (embiid, missing the heat and thunder picks each by one spot in the standings last year, etc), but things are still on track. I love this picture as a visual -- might help some people understand better

http://www.encognitive.com/files/images/success--the road to success.preview.jpg
    Nice pic
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer