Options

LOST- 6th and Final Season (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    I thought it was a solid episode, and kind of explained the Jacob/man in black story more. I read that the writes/producers of the show were concerned that a lot of people were reading more into the show when some of the ides are pretty simple. After last night, I am leaning more towards it is a good vs evil type thing going on there, and the Island is kind of a prison.

I did enjoy Ricardo's story.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,629
    The "hell" thing seems like it may be a lot more than just a way to manipultae Ricardo

or maybe not
  • Options
    cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Stray observations:
    I was SO pissed when I thought it was going to be Hell and whatnot. Way to mess with my emotions, Darlton! :evil:
    I'm gonna say the latter half of the episode was much, much stronger...though I liked the Richard backstory, did we *really* need the obligatory "someone coughs up blood on a handkerchief and dies immediately" thing? I really hate that in TV/film. :roll:
    Oh and I am totally lusting after the Man in Black. Yes I know that is kind of weird. :shock:
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I have to say maybe I built the episode up in my head too much, but I was actually disappointed. It really did not give much in way of direction (at least to me)
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,384
    The man in black looks a bit too much like Richard Hatch, maybe its cause he's on an island manipulating people. :mrgreen:

The good vs evil thing may not be strictly good vs evil, I get the feeling that these two may be two beings (maybe even brothers) abandoned on the island from some other race (Greek Gods, aliens, Creed fans, who knows) who are just manipulating people throughout the centuries for their own amusement...something about Jacob's line to Johnny Cash that the wine will "help pass the time".
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I have to say maybe I built the episode up in my head too much, but I was actually disappointed. It really did not give much in way of direction (at least to me)
    I think it mostly confirmed stuff we had surmised over time, Richard being on the Black Rock, not aging and working for Jake. It did give you a sense of closure on the "mystery" of Richard.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    the good thing is that we getting answer quickly from now..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

You and your "high standards". :roll: :lol:

I think it was heavy on mythology and light on plot...I'm ok with that, but I think this episode will probably be a pretty divisive one.
  • Options
    FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    Any Spanish speakers notice that Richard and the Priest were speaking the Mexican dialect of Spanish? Wasn't the Black Rock originally supposed to be coming from Africa??

Maybe that ship wasn't the black rock....

In the scene from "The Incident" (S5Ep18), when Jacob and MIB are on the beach at the beginning, there is no storm....

Also, I'm starting to think the writers of Lost messed up with the statue. They might have meant for the statue to be Anubis, due to Richard saying "el diablo" as soon as he sees it. The statue is of the god of Fertility. The only thing related to fertility about the island is that it provides a re-birth sort of. I guess it provides eternal life now too.
  • Options
    I don't think in the scene from Ep 5- that they ever said that the ship was the black rock, it is possible it was just another one that Jacob brough there. They indicated that they have been doing that for some time.
  • Options
    MK1980MK1980 Nottingham, UK Posts: 291
    Thought the episode was good. My own theory is the island is an eden...with the two 'angels' guarding it, (Jacob/'Locke') but that is what I have presumed from day one. They maybe constanly warring, but in the end good will out. Hurley may just be the only sane one left...
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • Options
    MK1980 wrote:
    Hurley may just be the only sane one left...
    my thought too
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Oh yeah...the statue....WTF.
    Are we supposed to believe that the ship demolished 3/4 of that giant statue, while not being broken into shards itself? Was that statue made out of homemade plaster by a 3rd grade art class??
    Or was it implied that the storm is what demolished it? Either way....uh....yeah, not so much. :?

edit: ALSO.....Richard becomes the property of one Magnus Hanso!!! :shock:
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I wasn't disappointed but it didn't strike me as one of the all-time greats. I did kind of like having Richard's story told in a fairly linear (guylinear?) fashion instead of flashing back and forth in time. Atypical for Lost. There was some melodrama to his story but the acting helped overcome that.

I don't think the ship smashed the statue, the storm did. A tsunami that would deposit the ship in the middle of the island could take out the statue as well. I still want to know how the statue got there in the first place and what does ancient Egypt have to do with all this? :? :think:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I wasn't disappointed but it didn't strike me as one of the all-time greats. I did kind of like having Richard's story told in a fairly linear (guylinear?) fashion instead of flashing back and forth in time. Atypical for Lost. There was some melodrama to his story but the acting helped overcome that.

I don't think the ship smashed the statue, the storm did. A tsunami that would deposit the ship in the middle of the island could take out the statue as well. I still want to know how the statue got there in the first place and what does ancient Egypt have to do with all this? :? :think:

Sometimes I think there are just questions I should keep in my head. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    cdp1223 wrote:

Sometimes I think there are just questions I should keep in my head. :lol::lol::lol:
    Nah, I thought that too last night. If the ship hit the statue, it looked awfully intact afterwards! :roll:
  • Options
    I say if a cloud of black smoke can stalk people and take them out on that island, than a ship on a tidal wave could also knock over that statue. ;)
  • Options
    I say if a cloud of black smoke can stalk people and take them out on that island, than a ship on a tidal wave could also knock over that statue. ;)
    True! The laws of time and space don't exactly apply to that island! :lol:
  • Options
    So I got a question, do you think the list of candidates pre determined back when Richard came to the island and how does Desmond fit in to all this? Does he have the ability to see between all the different time warps and have the ability to change things?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    So I got a question, do you think the list of candidates pre determined back when Richard came to the island and how does Desmond fit in to all this? Does he have the ability to see between all the different time warps and have the ability to change things?
    Wow, I'm gonna need more coffee before I can tackle that one. :crazy:

Srsly, Desmond has always been a puzzle to me, brothah! He's so clearly a big part of the story but where he fits in, I'm not sure. :eh: :problem: :think:
  • Options
    Bird33Bird33 Posts: 120
    Poncier wrote:
    They certainly detailed Richard's past. Will discuss at length in the AM when everyone is up to snuff.
    yeah that's fair...
    So we all meet here at what time? :P ;)

My only comment for tonight is that they still didn't explain his manscara. :think: :eh: :problem:

just an fyi...richard does not wear manscara. this was discussed in the extras that came with the s5 boxset.
  • Options
    Bird33 wrote:

just an fyi...richard does not wear manscara. this was discussed in the extras that came with the s5 boxset.

I am loving your avatar!!
  • Options
    Bird33 wrote:
    My only comment for tonight is that they still didn't explain his manscara. :think: :eh: :problem:

Um thanks, but I was aware of that. From what I understand the actor gets asked about that in every role he plays.
    It's just a running joke with Losties.
  • Options
    Bird33Bird33 Posts: 120
    cdp1223 wrote:
    Bird33 wrote:

I am loving your avatar!!

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    FirstExit wrote:
    Any Spanish speakers notice that Richard and the Priest were speaking the Mexican dialect of Spanish? Wasn't the Black Rock originally supposed to be coming from Africa??

Maybe that ship wasn't the black rock....

In the scene from "The Incident" (S5Ep18), when Jacob and MIB are on the beach at the beginning, there is no storm....

Also, I'm starting to think the writers of Lost messed up with the statue. They might have meant for the statue to be Anubis, due to Richard saying "el diablo" as soon as he sees it. The statue is of the god of Fertility. The only thing related to fertility about the island is that it provides a re-birth sort of. I guess it provides eternal life now too.
    The setting was the canary Islands in 1867, it was displayed on the screen.

The ship was the Black Rock, the many shots of the back showing "Black Rock, Portsmouth" make that fairly evident.

It wasn't Richard who said "El Diablo", it was one of the other slaves who was looking out and telling Richard what he saw.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I enjoyed watching the episode last night. I was surprised at the hell/purgatory/death story line appeared after the producers/creators said early on that was not the case. However, even then I knew that they had no choice but to deny it even if that was true. Fessing up at that point would have ruined the rest of the series.

In retrospect I was a little disappointed in Richard's history. I was thinking Egyptian or pirate or something more interesting than a poor guy in the Canary Islands. I was also thinking that he had been there longer than 1867, I guess because of my Egyptian thought.

Also, I am thinking for the most part that Jacob is good, except for the conversation with Richard that he brings people to the island and when Richard asked where they were he said they were all dead. Combine that with his earlier discussion with MIB that the same thing happens over and over again and everything in between is progress, he sounds kind of callous and uncaring. Not something you associate with good.

And I can' remember the part of Jake's conversation with Richard about the people that he brings there have to choose to do what is right and he can't help them decide, they have to do it on their own. I would like to see or hear that part again.

And if that is really hell, then what happens to the people that appear to die on the island?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    I

And if that is really hell, then what happens to the people that appear to die on the island?
    nice question this one..
  • Options
    I

nice question this one..

I don't think it is *actually* hell...I think they were teasing us because they know so many people have been thinking that. It is not "just an island" but it is also not, I don't think, LITERALLY hell and I don't believe that they are dead.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,754
    Maybe not hell. But maybe something like purgatory, where a soul is judged as to which place it should go. Maybe that's why everyone gets second chances on the island - to either atone for past mistakes or prove they're incapable of changing... I don't think we can discredit all the references to the survivors being dead, there's got to be some truth to that even if they aren't literally dead (yet).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Personally I agree with someone earlier that this is all a space to keep MIB from getting to the real world...
    GoiMTvP.gif