Options

2017 Buffalo Bills - The hunt for a playoff berth

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Rex Ryan was the best hire possible. No matter what the talent gap was he knew how to coach against belichick and brady. Knows the dolphins. Knows and hates the jets with much to prove. He is a very good head coach saddled with a circus in ny. Great fit for the bills and he is a players' coach. Just what they need after an Unpopular marrone
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Good hire for Buffalo. He does know defense and he does know how to inspire a team. The franchise's profile is also instantly raised nationally. Rex is an attention magnet. That raised profile may help get a new stadium built.

I don't know if Rex will be a success in western New York but I do know he won't be boring. Enjoy the ride, Bills' fans.

- A Pats Fan

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Rex Ryan is a clown who will someday again make a fine defensive coordinator for somebody.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I don't give a fuck if he can keep a game close against the patriots. He doesn't win. He's a quick killer. Brady and belechick aren't going to be in NE forever. Fuck buffalo for this.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    hahahahahahahaha!

Orton knew what he was doing after all!

BzSKlv2IAAAAIim.png
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Don't get me wrong, I want the team to be successful and will surely admit if I am mistaken. I just don't see it. This does nothing for our offense and QB struggles.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want the team to be successful and will surely admit if I am mistaken. I just don't see it. This does nothing for our offense and QB struggles.

They also gave him player/personnel powers. We are fucked. He's proven he can't draft. I'm so pissed. I'm seriously considering bailing in Buffalo now. Wtf? How depressing.
  • Options
    null
    Word is he is going to bring in Greg Roman for the oc position so theoretically the offense will get better
  • Options
    So depressing.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any report that says they gave him personnel decision power. I also don't know where he has proven he can't draft.

They interviewed the top 12 candidates for head coach. Ryan was there choice after speaking to all those people. Who did we want that us availabe and so much better?

I like the hire. It plays right into our strength. This defense is better than the jets' defense wHo went to 2 afc championship games. He is bringing on Greg Roman apparently who is top shelf of offensive coordinators right now, certainly a hell of a lot better than marrone and hackett.

Rex Ryan is a good coach. Was a loudmouth and did a lot of growing up. With tanenbaum and idzik he had no chance for success with the jets. Zero.
  • Options
    He took Eric Manginis team to the afc championship game twice, that was not his team. By the time his third year rolled around in NyJ, we would get a real chance to see what he could do. Which was nothing, absolutely nothing. Except keep couple of games close against new england. They may have even won one. But most of the time, he was getting blown out by Brady and bill.

He fucked around with a decent defense and turned the into an average defense at best. Buffalo right now has a top 3 or 4 defense. This schmuck is going to come in and waste a first round pick on a cornerback. Do we need a corner back? Naa. Do we need an offensive tackle? Or a QB? Or a RB?

We've seen what he can do with a young, unproven qb. Nothing. He turns them into JV players. Sanchez had success in Philly because chip Kelly knows how to coach a young guy. Rex doesnt.

I hope to god or Allah or Buddha that I'm 100% wrong. I want to see them win more than anyone. They are my fucking team and dammit, I want the playoffs. I just don't think Rex can do it. Buffalo was blinded by the light that the freight train that is Rex ryan rolled in to on. Ryan sees a team not at all unlike the jets. Except we have a better defense and better, young offensive threats. Please don't fuck it up.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    MayDay10 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any report that says they gave him personnel decision power. I also don't know where he has proven he can't draft.

They interviewed the top 12 candidates for head coach. Ryan was there choice after speaking to all those people. Who did we want that us availabe and so much better?

I like the hire. It plays right into our strength. This defense is better than the jets' defense wHo went to 2 afc championship games. He is bringing on Greg Roman apparently who is top shelf of offensive coordinators right now, certainly a hell of a lot better than marrone and hackett.

Rex Ryan is a good coach. Was a loudmouth and did a lot of growing up. With tanenbaum and idzik he had no chance for success with the jets. Zero.

I'm not sure how good a coach he is, but he was clearly hampered by Tanenbaum and Idzik. The guy knows defense, though. That is for sure. Bringing in Roman is huge. If he lets Roman have full control of the offense, this could work for you guys.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-is-now-the-jets-worst-nightmare/
    He’s baaaaaaack.
    And lo and behold, he’s baaaaack from Rexile as Woody Johnson’s worst nightmare.
    He is Buffalo Rex, no longer as big as a buffalo, about to plow through the snow and find himself a new tattoo parlor and pick up where Doug Marrone left off before Marrone left off with his $4 million bounty hoping to replace Rex as HC of the NYJ.
    And lo and behold: Rex will need a veteran quarterback, and Mark Sanchez is a free agent! Is it likely? No. Is it impossible? Have you seen the free-agent quarterback crop?
    And what if … what if Darrelle Revis decides to put his money where his mouth is and leave Belichick for a reunion with his beloved Rex? The Bills’ new owner, Terry Pegula, does not harbor Johnson’s distaste for annual renegotiations, as far as we know. The Bills are projected as of this moment to have at least $16 million in cap room, and there is no John Idzik in the building who is interested in keeping it in his pockets. Just look at the way they traded up with the Browns to land wide receiver Sammy Watkins last year. Rex may not have a No. 1 pick, but he has his first legitimate, young No. 1 receiver.
    You better believe Rex will be looking to raid the Jets for a few of his favorite disciples.
    If you subscribe to the theory a head coach will be better the second time around (see Bill Belichick), then the pressure on Johnson to find a can’t-miss replacement for Rex has been ratcheted up immeasurably.
    The key for Rex, as always, will be an offensive coordinator (Greg Roman?) who knows what the hell he’s doing, and help Rex at least with the perception that he is head coach of the entire team, not just the defense.
    The tortured history of the Jets virtually guarantees that Rex will turn into Vince Lombardi, and every Play Like A Bill exclamation from him is certain to puncture the eardrums of long-suffering Jets fans.
    Rex had to go out with Idzik, four consecutive years out of the playoffs meant it was time, but remember that he was at his best when he blew into our town six years ago and changed the culture with the full force of his bravado and braggadocio. Rex II will be a dangerous foe as he starts anew again now.
    The Falcons were a better fit for him, mostly because of Matt Ryan versus EJ Manuel, but the Bills made him an offer he couldn’t refuse (five years, $27.5 million), and he inherits a formidable defense that will keep him in every game.
    The Bills must let Rex be Rex.
    Even if it means that he shows up talking about shaking hands with the president at his introductory press conference.
    Turn him loose, and let him blow into One Bills Drive and send out storm warnings to the rest of the AFC East.
    And oh — he won’t be coming there to kiss Belichick’s rings.
    Blunt force trauma, even if he has decided that guarantees are Broadway Joe’s domain.
    The death of Coachspeak.
    Rex could have escaped Belichick, and chose to keep trying to topple him instead. How’s that for moxie?
    Bills players will want to run through a snow drift for him. They will rally around his you-take-a-swipe-at-one-of-ours, we’ll-take-a-swipe-at-two-of-yours defiance and bravado.
  • Options
    Ill post my feelings now since Im not limited by mobile.

I love this hire. He was my first choice. When he first got to the Jets, I was highly irritated by him and wanted him to fail. I also remember admitting to Jets friends that "I wish we had him". He has learned and grown up a bit since then. He isnt a loose cannon anymore.

So he knows how to play the Pats, Belichick, and Brady no matter the talent gap. We may have a team with more talent than the Pats right now. The coaching gap that perpetually exists between these 2 teams has closed a great deal. He also seems to be driven to be and beat Belichick. Which other of these coordinators being interviewed has as much experience against our #1 rival/threat as well as vested interest in overcoming the rival.
    You can also add the Jets there. I am sure on a very personal level he is going to want to beat his old team and prove to them they made a mistake. He also knows the current personnel. He knows the Dolphins as well and has prepared for Philbon and Tannehill a number of times now.

He is a defensive coach. That plays into our strength. Maybe some of those guys will really dig him. He seems to be popular with players and perhaps that will be the glue that can keep the bones of the unit together. Keeping Schwartz is awesome and will provide continuity, players seem to like him, and they will maintain that hard hitting, almost undisciplined "edge"

Then add in Roman and Callahan as offensive coaches. Cant get much better than that. Roman was awesome at Stanford in assisting Harbough turn that program around, and also did the same with the 49ers. Salvaged Alex Smith's career or at least had a hand in it. Probably had a lot to do with Kaepernick's success as an NFL QB. If you look at Stanford too, even though Harbough was on the scene already, they didnt become good until Roman got there as well as a QB called Andrew Luck, who Roman helped groom. Not to mention Bill Callahan who probably is the best O-Line coach in the world.

It certainly doesnt guarantee success, but Rex Ryan, along with these coordinators checks so many boxes, and provide so much that a leap of faith into a coordinator does not provide. I have not heard 1 option that would be better. A lot of people were turned off to Ryan years ago due to his personality... but to me, personality is better than the typical stock answers of nothingness. For this reason I think Buffalo/WNY will eat him up. We have been fed guys with no personality forever.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Finally, a real NFL coach, Playoffs next year- book it
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Let me be the first 49ers fan to apologize to you for Greg Roman if he becomes your OC as everyone is predicting. I am very happy to see him leave 49er land but wouldn't wish him upon my worst enemy. Good luck with Rex.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I don't understand the need to fill the spot before the superbowl. You never know who will become available once the season ends. John Fox is one example. I understand the need to get a coach quickly but to say they interviewed every possible candidate and Rex was the best isn't accurate.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    He took Eric Manginis team to the afc championship game twice, that was not his team. By the time his third year rolled around in NyJ, we would get a real chance to see what he could do. Which was nothing, absolutely nothing. Except keep couple of games close against new england. They may have even won one. But most of the time, he was getting blown out by Brady and bill.

He fucked around with a decent defense and turned the into an average defense at best. Buffalo right now has a top 3 or 4 defense. This schmuck is going to come in and waste a first round pick on a cornerback. Do we need a corner back? Naa. Do we need an offensive tackle? Or a QB? Or a RB?

We've seen what he can do with a young, unproven qb. Nothing. He turns them into JV players. Sanchez had success in Philly because chip Kelly knows how to coach a young guy. Rex doesnt.

I hope to god or Allah or Buddha that I'm 100% wrong. I want to see them win more than anyone. They are my fucking team and dammit, I want the playoffs. I just don't think Rex can do it. Buffalo was blinded by the light that the freight train that is Rex ryan rolled in to on. Ryan sees a team not at all unlike the jets. Except we have a better defense and better, young offensive threats. Please don't fuck it up.

I thought you were a Bears fan???? Now the juggler is going to get upset.
  • Options
    It was a very quick hire.

• Options

I thought you were a Bears fan???? Now the juggler is going to get upset.

My team is Buffalo. I follow the bears as I grew up in NW Indiana. I like to see them win. But the Bills have been my favorite team ever since I can remember.
  • Options
    looks like Jim Schwartz is gone. I understand that, and Im also glad we wont see butting heads and the media circus that would come with it.

The Bills basically ran Rex Ryan's defense under Pettine anyways.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote: »
    It was a very quick hire.

Word is, Atlanta seemed to want Ryan, then dragged their feet a bit and it was important to Ryan that the Bills wanted him right away and set their attention into getting him a contract.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-fickle-falcons-led-rex-ryan-bills-job-article-1.2074037
    Ryan, an eternal optimist, was confused in the aftermath of what he believed was a productive five-hour interview with Falcons president Rich McKay, general manager Thomas Dimitroff and assistant GM Scott Pioli last Tuesday. Owner Arthur Blank left the meeting early to attend to his ailing mother.

Blank’s personal circumstances struck a chord with Ryan, who reached out to the owner’s assistant, Dimitroff and Pioli Wednesday night to offer condolences after Molly Blank died.

Ryan would have canceled his trip to Buffalo Thursday morning if the Falcons had committed to bringing him back for a second sit-down, according to sources, but there was hesitation on the team’s part.

Whispers about strong interest in Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who had a history with former Bill Belichick disciples Dimitroff and Pioli, irked him. (Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles impressed the Falcons brass in a five-hour session Saturday.)

With the Bills coming on strong, Rex Ryan wasn't willing to wait on the Falcons or 49ers.
    Ryan didn’t harbor any ill will toward Dimitroff after getting snubbed in 2008. “I’m going to take it out on the rest of the league,” he thought at the time before landing the Jets job a year later.

The past was the past. No hard feelings. He was ready to build a winner with Dimitroff, Pioli and Blank. Let’s fix the defense fast, flip this thing and win the damn championship, he told them. He already had the biggest piece to the puzzle in place: An established quarterback in Matt Ryan.

The charismatic coach would have been the ideal PSL pitchman for a $1.4 billion retractable-roof stadium scheduled to open in 2017. He would have also provided an element of toughness to the team that Blank desires.

Dimitroff told friends that he came away from the Tuesday interview with a favorable impression of Ryan. So, what was the holdup? Ryan didn’t understand.

This was the right job at the right time for personal reasons, too. His wife, Michelle, would have been a couple hours away from their son, Seth, a Clemson sophomore. The family had a house a few hours away in Tennessee.

Four days after the interview, Ryan just didn’t believe that Dimitroff was in his corner, according to sources. He didn’t want to be teased again only to miss out.

Ryan had tried to convince himself that television might be the way to go, but he was fooling himself. ESPN and CBS executives were impressed in meetings, but he made it clear that finding a head coaching job was his top priority.

He was a coach’s son. Walking away from that, even temporarily, proved to be too difficult.

Ryan had waited so long for his first head coaching opportunity. There was no guarantee that he would get a second chance in 2016 or ever again if he went the TV route. He also wanted to give his son a chance to coach with him like his dad, Buddy, did for him. He had learned more in those two seasons with the Cardinals than all his previous stops. “I want to do that for my son one day,” Ryan told the Daily News recently.
  • Options
    Adios Jim Schwartz, shitty human being but a decent DC
  • Options
    Rex Ryan presser today at 12est, should be fun
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote: »

I don't know much about Schwartz, why is he a shitty huma being? Does he park in handicapped spaces without a sticker?
  • Options
    I hope I'm wrong about Rex. I can see why he got hired. He talks a great game.
  • Options
    davidtrios wrote: »

I don't know much about Schwartz, why is he a shitty huma being? Does he park in handicapped spaces without a sticker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWvZGR5xfXw
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSDvpzFfpE
  • Options
    I hope I'm wrong about Rex. I can see why he got hired. He talks a great game.

His introductory press conference with the Jets was probably a top five highlight of his tenure there.

• Options
    I don't see how Schwartz arguing with harbaugh makes him a horrible person. Planning to be carried off the field after beating your old team is just being a douche. He seems like a lonely person.