Big East Basketball thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    it's nice to see these original schools show a little backbone finally too. perhaps they were just waiting for all the shoes to drop to the point where they had the votes to dictate a move...not like they have a lot of other choices though

Yeah, it's about damn time. All the non-football schools have kinda just had to sit back and see what happens with all of this ridiculous conference realignment. Nice to see them band together like this.

Also- my DePaul Blue Demons won't be a pushover this year. Picked up a surprising road win last night at ASU. I know it's not much, but exciting considering the state of the program the past 4-5 years.

this rumored league would seem better than what's leftover of the big east too...assuming uconn bolts in year or two.

good for depaul.

i always hate watching games in that building they play in though. it's so dark and weird looking on tv.
    www.myspace.com
  • this rumored league would seem better than what's leftover of the big east too...assuming uconn bolts in year or two.

good for depaul.

i always hate watching games in that building they play in though. it's so dark and weird looking on tv.

Yeah, I think they just have to go with all non-football schools for this new league so they don't have to worry about any more teams leaving and all that shit.

Oh man, you should try going to a game at Allstate Arena. What a piece of shit that place is. I had season tickets when I was there and a few years after I graduated, but I just couldn't do it anymore. The team sucked, the arena sucked, everything sucked. So depressing to be in a crowd of 2-3K in an arena that could hold 16-17K. They are talking about possibly building their own place in the city near campus which would be great for me since I live in the area.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I love Big East basketball (what's left of it).

Are you fucking kidding me with that shot????
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah, crazy shot. Cadougan (who sucks) is playing out of his mind.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    pureoc wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah, crazy shot. Cadougan (who sucks) is playing out of his mind.
    Marquette doesn't make a 3 all game and makes one at the end of the regulation and one in OT. Nuts.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Rebounding is terrible for UConn and will come back to haunt them like tonight.
    giddy up :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Syracuse game was fucking awesome
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Louisville really pissed themselves at the end.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    :x
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    pureoc wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Louisville really pissed themselves at the end.

For sure, turnovers on the last two possessions. Big win for Syracuse though. Pretty wild season overall so far
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

looks like the split will take place in the summer of '14.

catholic 7 plus xavier, butler and maybe vcu might actually be about as competitive as the remaining teams left in the big east...
    www.myspace.com
    Fitting end to the UConn/Syracuse rivalry. :D
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    yes...yes it was. Suck U
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8931014/big-east-seven-catholic-schools-hope-split-summer-2014-source-says

looks like the split will take place in the summer of '14.

catholic 7 plus xavier, butler and maybe vcu might actually be about as competitive as the remaining teams left in the big east...

Just add Butler & Xavier for 9 teams. Then they can play Home & Home for 16 League games. Team that wins regular season gets a bye for the League Tourney and play the winner of 8/9 game in the first round.
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Fitting end to the UConn/Syracuse rivalry. :D
    went to that one....was fun
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Mike Aresco is a joke of a "commissioner."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    sad what has happened to the Big East. college hoops will never be the same in the northeast. so many great memories. fuck football
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Hoyas as a #1 seed in CBS's latest bracket.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    catholic 7 have the last laugh....

agreed on the football comment, mr hawks.
    www.myspace.com
    Notre Dame went to ACC or are thinking of going, right?
    Newch91 wrote:

they are not supposed to join acc until 2014. so if they cannot get in early, they will try to get into the new big east for a year.
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

they are not supposed to join acc until 2014. so if they cannot get in early, they will try to get into the new big east for a year.
    I can see them staying in the new Big East if they join for a year.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I can see them staying in the new Big East if they join for a year.

i guess it leaves the door open in case something happens with the acc in the short term or long term.
    www.myspace.com
    Now with UConn going to be without a league, I hope they join the ACC. My cousins think I'm crazy for saying that, but I think it would be exciting to see UConn-Duke and UConn-UNC every year and also continuing the rivalry with Syracuse.

This is the best UConn-Duke moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duu3JLjVMZY :D
    Newch91 wrote:
    Now with UConn going to be without a league, I hope they join the ACC. My cousins think I'm crazy for saying that, but I think it would be exciting to see UConn-Duke and UConn-UNC every year and also continuing the rivalry with Syracuse.

...maybe they can try to get into the big east.
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Newch91 wrote:

...maybe they can try to get into the big east.

I don't think they well becuz of FOOTBALL DOLLARS($$$$). I think if UCONN was still 1-AA in Football, like they use to be, then i could see them joining. Though, i would like to see them stay in the Big East.
    i was kidding....however if they cannot get into the acc when they expand again, i can see them trying to get back with the old b. e. schools and moving football to the mac or something.

again, fuck college football.
    www.myspace.com
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    My Louisville Cardinals are getting no love? We got it going on in all sports!
    "It's all happening"
    pretty cool article. nice slideshow of top big east moments at the bottom too...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... 7/1965187/

Syracuse's Boeheim is bullish on 'Catholic 7' basketball

Eric Prisbell, USA TODAY Sports3:40p.m. EST March 5, 2013
    Orange's longtime coach says Big East breakup was 'inevitable'

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said that the new Big East conference will be among the nation's best
    The basketball schools are also expected to announce a television deal with the new Fox Sports 1 channel
    Xavier and Butler are also expected to join the league from the Atlantic-10

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, who has been in the Big East since its inception in 1979, said that the new Big East basketball conference, when it begins competition in the fall, will be among the nation's preeminent basketball conferences.

"I think it will be as good as any league," Boeheim told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. "I think it can be a top basketball league, I really do. They have the TV deal. Their fear, which is not going to happen, is that (football) schools break away from the NCAA and form some big deal. But I don't see that happening."

The new league, which will keep the Big East name, will consist of the Catholic 7: Georgetown, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence, DePaul, St. John's and Villanova. Xavier and Butler are also expected to join the league from the Atlantic-10. And the league could expand further, perhaps to include Creighton and/or Saint Louis, among other candidates.

VIDEO: Boeheim's best moments with the media

The basketball schools are also expected to announce a television deal with the new Fox Sports 1 channel today, USA TODAY Sports reported.

"They will end up with a really good league," Boeheim said. "They'll have some money coming in, and looks like they have a TV contract. And they don't ever have to worry about football juggling them around again. That was always going to happen.

"It was a miracle the Big East stayed together for so long. And football-basketball schools need to be together. And basketball-only schools need to be together. It [the breakup] was inevitable. It just took a long time because of Dave Gavitt and Mike Tranghese holding it together all those years."
    www.myspace.com