Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my gord downie collection is almost complete. got all of his solo records just now, save for Secret Path, which I bought when it came out. now just need the record he did with the Sadies (which was sold out at the time i ordered these). 

his earlier stuff is a bit weird when i first heard it, but i was going in expecting something Hip-like, which it is absolutely not. going in with an open mind is key. but it's good stuff. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:7
    mickeyrat said: msg
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice. I just picked up Brothers and Sisters as well. Jessica is one of my happy songs.

1st year pressing too.
    Is there a way to tell if it is a 1st year pressing. I am out of town now, but will look at mine when I get home if you have any clues about that. I got mine used as well.

discogs lists the data found etched or stamped in the dead wax. pain in the ass searching through each of the various pressings in a given year but lets you know where it was pressed and all that.

you gotta look closely too, some etchings are so slight they can be missed.
    I tried what you said on Discogs. I think mine is a first pressing as well. But not fully sure I did it right. I found the etching and did a search for it. I hope I deciphered the info correctly. 
    Discogs is great, but sometimes it gets complicated as to which version I have.

be great if you could search using the dead wax info instead of looking through each entry for a given albim...
    I'm sure I've done this.  Does it never work for you?
    correct. unless I was doing it wrong
    I just did a test on this one..  PRLP - 7188-A KPG@CA

That's the runout groove for Lush Life cut by Kevin Gray.  There should be two different AP versions that come up, one numbered and one not.  Try it out.  Works for me in the search bar. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Cool Will try that too. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice. I just picked up Brothers and Sisters as well. Jessica is one of my happy songs.

1st year pressing too.
    Is there a way to tell if it is a 1st year pressing. I am out of town now, but will look at mine when I get home if you have any clues about that. I got mine used as well.

discogs lists the data found etched or stamped in the dead wax. pain in the ass searching through each of the various pressings in a given year but lets you know where it was pressed and all that.

I tried what you said on Discogs. I think mine is a first pressing as well. But not fully sure I did it right. I found the etching and did a search for it. I hope I deciphered the info correctly. 

be great if you could search using the dead wax info instead of looking through each entry for a given albim...

That's the runout groove for Lush Life cut by Kevin Gray.  There should be two different AP versions that come up, one numbered and one not.  Try it out.  Works for me in the search bar. 
    learned me something new today.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

Now that I know this, I can see myself wasting an entire weekend day plugging in every album I own just to see what comes up.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

Now that I know this, I can see myself wasting an entire weekend day plugging in every album I own just to see what comes up.

i tried using the barcode to search instead of searching through 49 different versions to find it. it didn't work for me. does it only work for vinyl but not cd's?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

i tried using the barcode to search instead of searching through 49 different versions to find it. it didn't work for me. does it only work for vinyl but not cd's?
    Bar code works sometimes for vinyl.  Never tried cd.
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

It's tough.  First you have to read it correctly.  Sometimes it's hard to see.  I think it's space sensitive too. 
  • Options
    This one arrived today:

These 2 are on the way:

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    Quality-wise, how does the new Giant Steps reissue compare to the Ballads and A Love Supreme reissues or the tone poet series reissues? 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    Quality-wise, how does the new Giant Steps reissue compare to the Ballads and A Love Supreme reissues or the tone poet series reissues? 
    It doesn't compare.  The new QRP are clear A's. Tone poet is just a step below that. Giant steps is good.  But it's definitely not as good sound quality wise.  The jacket is also standard cardboard,  not tip on jacket.  So call it a B/B-. Don't listen back to back with the QRP, otherwise you'll be happy.  It's great music though. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    It doesn't compare.  The new QRP are clear A's. Tone poet is just a step below that. Giant steps is good.  But it's definitely not as good sound quality wise.  The jacket is also standard cardboard,  not tip on jacket.  So call it a B/B-. Don't listen back to back with the QRP, otherwise you'll be happy.  It's great music though. 
    I knew I could count on you for solid, well-informed information. Thanks! 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Little bit of an ordering mishap..

@mrussel1 I didn’t want to derail the other thread.  So after a few days are you thinking the 9 lp is worth it?  I’m on the fence.  I really want wildflowers live on vinyl but don’t think I need all the extra alternates and home demos unless there is just an unfathomably amazing alternate take. A 5lp wildflowers and all the rest  plus wildflowers live would have been my sweet spot.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Little bit of an ordering mishap..

@mrussel1 I didn’t want to derail the other thread.  So after a few days are you thinking the 9 lp is worth it?  I’m on the fence.  I really want wildflowers live on vinyl but don’t think I need all the extra alternates and home demos unless there is just an unfathomably amazing alternate take. A 5lp wildflowers and all the rest  plus wildflowers live would have been my sweet spot.
    The live is really good.  Home demos are very good.  I mean it's really hard to say.  You have teh 2014 box, so the main album won't be any different.  "The rest" consists of 5 songs that were on She's the One, and you can get the three vinyl set for under $40.  There's something to be said about the box itself and the book.  If I'm not mistaken, the only way you can get the live will be either digital or the going 7 vinyl for $167 (I think that's the price on Amazon).  There's nothing that will just blow you away, but it's all so good it's a cumulative effect.  
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I just preordered the new Lucero album. Loving the first single and can’t wait to hear the whole thing. Their last album was easily one of my favorites that’s come out in the last 10 years.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Weird- copy and pasting photos flatten everything on my computer.  The record is actually square and I am long, lol!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    my gord downie collection is almost complete. got all of his solo records just now, save for Secret Path, which I bought when it came out. now just need the record he did with the Sadies (which was sold out at the time i ordered these). 

FFS. after i had thought i had placed this order, i didn't receive any email confirmation or anything. so i contacted the website folks, and they said they had no orders under my cell number i provided them.

today i got my second box of all of these records. now i remember....when i had placed my first order, it had auto-completed with my old cell number, which changed this summer. i didin't realize it when placing the order. so when they told me they had no record of my order, i placed it again. 

now i have two of almost every gord downie vinyl. SMFH
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

Oh man thats awesome.  I thought about you today when i was spinning mine.  I know you’re a big mascis fan.  (Big mats fan too!).  Awesome. Enjoy it
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

@WildFly desrves a share in credit for this..  ..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Nice to see nice deeds. Good for you Brian, and kudos to Mr. Rat.

picked up the Drive by Truckers Live from Austin City Limits. The sound is not great, but love me some DBT.

Not a record, but pretty cool still. The legendary First Avenue & 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis is getting their ass kicked, like all music venues. Since nothing’s happening they are rehabing some of the venue. Today they put up for sale sections of the original stage from the Entry. This is/was the 250 capacity spot any and all local and national upcoming music artists got the chance to prove themselves. Prince, the Replacements, Husker Du, the Hold Steady, and loads of others played on this stage. So I bought a piece. It’s a place that’s near and dear to me and my wife. Excited to stick this on the wall when it arrives.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

This photo makes me so happy. These days it is sometimes hard to remember that there is still so much decency in the world, and we can still do kind things for each other. Enjoy the record, Brian. Nicely done, Mickeyrat.

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    edited October 2020
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

That’s so awesome Brian!
    Take a bow @mickeyrat, that’s such a great thing to do :clap:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

Fantastic! That’s the true spirit of the 10c right there. 👍
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Good stuff!!!

Give it awaygiveitaway give it awaynow
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    That’s fucking awesome! Good on you, Mickey!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    WildFlyWildFly Posts: 210
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

brianlux- Love the pic, your excitement says it all.  Glad you received, now go spin dat Shit!!!!! 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    WildFly said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

brianlux- Love the pic, your excitement says it all.  Glad you received, now go spin dat Shit!!!!! 
    KOOL !!
  • Options
    WildFly said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Oh
    my
    GOD!
    Mickyrat, you rock!!!

PM sent but I'll say it here too, THANK YOU!  :smiley:
    I'm a happy DIno Fan!

• Options