Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited October 2020
    Is there a good website to buy vinyl?  I was looking for Black Crowes' Southern Harmony LP...Amazon lists it but people are saying the sound isn't good.  
    There are plenty of good websites to buy vinyl.  The key is knowing which pressing to buy.  Buying vinyl pressed from cd is just a waste of money in my opinion.  While pure analog is the best, there are digital  cuts that can sound wonderful, so long as they were mastered for vinyl.  To know what to buy, you always use Discogs to find the specific version, read the comments and the notes about the pressing.  It's an invaluable resource to avoid wasting money.  Everyone here can help you start that journey on how to use the resource.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Little bit of an ordering mishap..

ordering or shipping mistake?
    Ordering... all on me.  I'll be sending back the 2 seven records and keep the nine. 

dunno man, if you can sit on them a minute, may be able to make a few bucks
    Yeah, I think the 7/9LP sets are gonna be massive this holiday season. But I also think in the next 6 months its gonna be OOP, with only the 3LP staying in print. 

I might sit on it.  Havent' decided.  I do have until Jan 21 to return, which is crazy.  
    For those interested, I did read a post by Ryan Ulayte (co producer) who confirmed that the 'standard' WF 2x:LP is the same master and EQ as the 2014.  They did cut a new lacquer for it, but it's still AAA.  This makes sense as I noticed it was slightly different than my 14, but still sounded great.  All of the extra material started as tape, was put into pro tools at 32bit, and then re-cut to analog for the mix and master.  He also discussed that audio was squished pretty good for streaming but the HD FLAC is full range.  I can confirm that it's really nice as well. 
    There's also a Dolby Atmos version out there, exclusive to Amazon HD audio or something that will get a wider release soon.  https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ryan-ulyate-mixing-tom-pettys-wildflowers-dolby-atmos

They went all out.  No corners cut. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mrussel1 said:
    Is there a good website to buy vinyl?  I was looking for Black Crowes' Southern Harmony LP...Amazon lists it but people are saying the sound isn't good.  
    There are plenty of good websites to buy vinyl.  The key is knowing which pressing to buy.  Buying vinyl pressed from cd is just a waste of money in my opinion.  While pure analog is the best, there are digital  cuts that can sound wonderful, so long as they were mastered for vinyl.  To know what to buy, you always use Discogs to find the specific version, read the comments and the notes about the pressing.  It's an invaluable resource to avoid wasting money.  Everyone here can help you start that journey on how to use the resource.  
    cool...thanks
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1038342234

Does this look ok?  It's a 2015 reissue, 180g, not sure of the pressing....I assume not recorded from CD?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798

Does this look ok?  It's a 2015 reissue, 180g, not sure of the pressing....I assume not recorded from CD?
    American Recordings is Rick Rubin....
    save a few bucks on this one

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  Gern - Back to Black (your post) is pretty spotty in my opinion.  I'm not sure either will be great and it's always suspect when zero information is available on the master and pressing,  but I would go with the American. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Agreed.  Gern - Back to Black (your post) is pretty spotty in my opinion.  I'm not sure either will be great and it's always suspect when zero information is available on the master and pressing,  but I would go with the American. 

and this one has reviews the one you.posted doesn't.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    got it...thanks guys

• Options
    Saw it mentioned that music on vinyl releases often has bad looking covers? As in low quality/low rez? 

Anything you have experienced? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Saw it mentioned that music on vinyl releases often has bad looking covers? As in low quality/low rez? 

The MOV covers do have a tendency to be a made/printed on a lighter cardboard stock. That being said, MOV does produce very nice pressings. I’ve been happy with all the MOV albums I own.
  • Options

The MOV covers do have a tendency to be a made/printed on a lighter cardboard stock. That being said, MOV does produce very nice pressings. I’ve been happy with all the MOV albums I own.
    Thanks, yeah. Seeing the two AIC MTV Unplugged discs stacked together into one single sleeve didn't feel premium.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Awesome box set.  Every second of it is great. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    I picked up Mad Season Above on MOV Monday. It sounds great. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Awesome box set.  Every second of it is great. 

2018 repress. 150 plus tax and shipping.

been listening to the stream on apple. couldnt not get it.....

ebay has this bootleg of this chicago show with "two men talking" on it. thinking about pulling the trigger on that but its a radio broadcast thing....

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    I have some beat up 'dead' radio bootleg from capital theater. It sounds horrid, but it's a piece of history and I spin it often for what it's worth. It only cost 50cents anyway. Wouldn't spend fat cash on a crummy recording. Imo
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I have some beat up 'dead' radio bootleg from capital theater. It sounds horrid, but it's a piece of history and I spin it often for what it's worth. It only cost 50cents anyway. Wouldn't spend fat cash on a crummy recording. Imo

petty's youtube channel has this show up in single videos...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:

What year is it?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:

What year is it?

03?

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655

McCartney III Third Man Records Red Edition 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my gord downie collection is almost complete. got all of his solo records just now, save for Secret Path, which I bought when it came out. now just need the record he did with the Sadies (which was sold out at the time i ordered these). 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    ^^ Very nice! Never delved into Gord’s solo stuff too much. I’m thinking it’s about time. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice. I just picked up Brothers and Sisters as well. Jessica is one of my happy songs.

1st year pressing too.
    Is there a way to tell if it is a 1st year pressing. I am out of town now, but will look at mine when I get home if you have any clues about that. I got mine used as well.

discogs lists the data found etched or stamped in the dead wax. pain in the ass searching through each of the various pressings in a given year but lets you know where it was pressed and all that.

you gotta look closely too, some etchings are so slight they can be missed.
    I tried what you said on Discogs. I think mine is a first pressing as well. But not fully sure I did it right. I found the etching and did a search for it. I hope I deciphered the info correctly. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    edited October 2020

Acoustic Sound Series. Been looking forward to these. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said: msg
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

Nice. I just picked up Brothers and Sisters as well. Jessica is one of my happy songs.

1st year pressing too.
    Is there a way to tell if it is a 1st year pressing. I am out of town now, but will look at mine when I get home if you have any clues about that. I got mine used as well.

discogs lists the data found etched or stamped in the dead wax. pain in the ass searching through each of the various pressings in a given year but lets you know where it was pressed and all that.

I tried what you said on Discogs. I think mine is a first pressing as well. But not fully sure I did it right. I found the etching and did a search for it. I hope I deciphered the info correctly. 
    Discogs is great, but sometimes it gets complicated as to which version I have.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:7
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

be great if you could search using the dead wax info instead of looking through each entry for a given albim...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

be great if you could search using the dead wax info instead of looking through each entry for a given albim...
    I'm sure I've done this.  Does it never work for you?
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

Acoustic Sound Series. Been looking forward to these. 
    They will not disappoint
  • Options
    Just got my first paycheck post going from 80% to 100% work. 

Time to celebrate with some vinyl.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

1st year pressing too.

I'm sure I've done this.  Does it never work for you?
    correct. unless I was doing it wrong