Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    DC29940 said:

Love me some DBT. Big Wreck are grossly underrated. Have not heard catch my disease in a while. And that Presidents album looks vaguely familiar. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 638
    pjpjpaul said:
    DC29940 said:

Love me some DBT. Big Wreck are grossly underrated. Have not heard catch my disease in a while. And that Presidents album looks vaguely familiar. 
    Haha, I bet it does. Plan on spinning that tomorrow.

BW is such an incredible band. Seen them twice - once in '98, and once last fall. Incredible both times.I hope they get to reissuing the rest of their albums on vinyl, would love to have the complete discography.

The DBT and Ben Lee are from the sale New West Xmas in July sale they had a couple of weeks ago. Got all three for under $34. Too good to pass up. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717

Nice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 144

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,784
    edited August 2020
    My local record joint has been posting all these import records. Colored unreleased or reissue lps. Surely unofficial boots, but what's up with that? They were selling a white yield and an unofficial unplugged, a colored soundgarden.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2020
    Loujoe said:
    My local record joint has been posting all these import records. Colored unreleased or reissue lps. Surely unofficial boots, but what's up with that? They were selling a white yield and an unofficial unplugged, a colored soundgarden.
    Yup, seeing it here as well. They seem to have no problem with it either.  I saw a bootleg version of Into the Wild last week. 
    Some people have no probs with the boots, they get posted on here all the time. I just have concerns where my honest, hard earned dollar is going for unofficial purchases. Like all knock-off shit, it’s probably not where you would want it. 
  • Options
    Yeah. I don't buy it.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Loujoe said:
    I noticed more bootleg or “fan club” pressings showing up at a couple shops. Saw a PJ20 on silver wax yesterday with a price of $79 and one of the 2003 Santa Barbara show yesterday.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Tricky. Cheapens record collecting imo. The ones I saw were advertised as imports and asking like 40 bucks. Idk. Confusing to the average collector. I guess if they put 'unofficial' in the sales line it would be more fair. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2020
    Loujoe said:
    Tricky. Cheapens record collecting imo. The ones I saw were advertised as imports and asking like 40 bucks. Idk. Confusing to the average collector. I guess if they put 'unofficial' in the sales line it would be more fair. 
    Another local store owner had a boot copy of 10,000 Days by Tool. I knew it... but I played dumb and asked if this was unofficial.  He said “It’s unofficial here not in Europe”.  WTF? 
    I never went back.  Bad enough you sell knock offs... now you are going to play me for an idiot? 

I agree with you Lou. It cheapens the hobby. Now everyone has to be even more diligent. 
    I bought a copy of Siamese Dream that looked official, except the runout isn’t listed on Discogs except for another person asking the question in the comment section. Maybe no one has taken the time to post the version we have, maybe I was duped into buying a knock off.
    Using the Discogs app, I scanned the barcode and it showed the official release. Get home and the runout doesn’t match. Unentered variant? Second Pressing? Boot? No idea. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Yup, seeing it here as well. They seem to have no problem with it either.  I saw a bootleg version of Into the Wild last week. 
    Some people have no probs with the boots, they get posted on here all the time. I just have concerns where my honest, hard earned dollar is going for unofficial purchases. Like all knock-off shit, it’s probably not where you would want it. 

I avoid that knock off shit like the plague.  Most if not all are shitty copies made off CD's. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 638

A little bit all over the place this weekend. And yeah, I know I’ll get shit for the Creed. Hey, enjoy what you enjoy!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,766
    Loujoe said:
    Another local store owner had a boot copy of 10,000 Days by Tool. I knew it... but I played dumb and asked if this was unofficial.  He said “It’s unofficial here not in Europe”.  WTF? 
    I never went back.  Bad enough you sell knock offs... now you are going to play me for an idiot? 

I agree with you Lou. It cheapens the hobby. Now everyone has to be even more diligent. 
    I bought a copy of Siamese Dream that looked official, except the runout isn’t listed on Discogs except for another person asking the question in the comment section. Maybe no one has taken the time to post the version we have, maybe I was duped into buying a knock off.
    Using the Discogs app, I scanned the barcode and it showed the official release. Get home and the runout doesn’t match. Unentered variant? Second Pressing? Boot? No idea. 

I find that same deal with older records too. there are unlisted varients...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,655
    US Girls-a poem unlimited 
    TV on the Radio-Seeds
    new Fontaines DC
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    brianlux said:
    Loujoe said:

I avoid that knock off shit like the plague.  Most if not all are shitty copies made off CD's. 

I'm with you.  That's exactly what they are. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,987
    edited August 2020
    I was close to picking up Nirvana Incesticide on yellow vinyl at a used record store, before stopping myself and double checked - and yes it was an unofficial pirated copy.

My local store atleast keeps all the unofficial releases in it's own box - so you know what you are doing if you buy a livebootleg or a pirated PJ Harvey - Rid of me
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Was chatting with the manager of a local shop yesterday about business during the pandemic. Couple of things: 1. Mentioned that the postponement of Record Store Day was a major blow to their business. RSD was the equivalent of Black Friday and the two weeks before Christmas combined for this store. 2. The amount of used records being brought in has dried up, to almost nonexistent over the past 4-5 months.

might be a reason for the uptick of bootlegs/fan club pressings we’re seeing. Offering something different at reasonable prices to make a buck.
  • Options
    Why arent you saying anything about me buying Paul Stanleys 1978 solo album
  • Options
    Because everyone already has 4 copies of that.  You want a US version, Canada, UK and Japan.  Everyone knows this. 
  • Options
    For the jazz lovers out there, preorder in place for Love Supreme and Ballads by Coltrane.  Both are coming from some new UME group focused on audiophiles.  Mastered from original analog tapes at Sterling Sound.  Impulse label still, pressed at QRP (always the best).  I just did my preorder.
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=detail&Title_ID=153918
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    For the jazz lovers out there, preorder in place for Love Supreme and Ballads by Coltrane.  Both are coming from some new UME group focused on audiophiles.  Mastered from original analog tapes at Sterling Sound.  Impulse label still, pressed at QRP (always the best).  I just did my preorder.

Awesome!  I have a 2015 Impulse reissue of A Love Supreme that sounds marvelous so not needing that one, but I lost, let go of, or had swiped a nice early pressing of Ballads a good while back.  Great album. 

If you don't have it, check out Thelonious Monk's Monk's Music.  That's such a fine album and I really like Trane's contributions to that band.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Because everyone already has 4 copies of that.  You want a US version, Canada, UK and Japan.  Everyone knows this. 
    Why are you leaving out the German version with the alternate non-nazi logo?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Why are you leaving out the German version with the alternate non-nazi logo?

I've been searching for the uncensored Nazi version. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Awesome!  I have a 2015 Impulse reissue of A Love Supreme that sounds marvelous so not needing that one, but I lost, let go of, or had swiped a nice early pressing of Ballads a good while back.  Great album. 

If you don't have it, check out Thelonious Monk's Monk's Music.  That's such a fine album and I really like Trane's contributions to that band.
    I will check that.  I only have a few Monk records.  I love his unusual style 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    I preordered Getz/Gilberto that’s part of the same release series.

UMe is behind the Blue Note and Tone Poet represses as well, which are great.

Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I preordered Getz/Gilberto that’s part of the same release series.

UMe is behind the Blue Note and Tone Poet represses as well, which are great.

That's good info, I didn't realize it.  Both are wonderful series.  I was a little worried since I don't have anything from UME directly, but now I'm feeling better.  Although QRP protects its brand well, so I don't think they would take on a crappy project. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Good mail day!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    dankind said:
    Good mail day!

Still waiting on FTBC and BVSC. That is a good mail day for sure. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2