The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Been to many World Series games this game ranks in the top three Da kids been to series wins againist mets and Atlanta the stadium waz incredible just saw my older brothers mantle growing up with jeter.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    I felt like that teenager who went to many of the playoff games during the late 90's- early 2000's......what a great night. Wish I went now, but watching at home was fun.

Glad the weather held up

where have the years gone? Still remember '95 when Don Mattingly was chasing that elusive title and some skinny kid from Michigan got called and we fell short in the Kingdome.

So many Memories

Truly the end of something I doubt I'll ever see again. Sure the Yankees will win and find talent but for Me it will never feel like this.

Thank You Derek
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited September 2014
    CROJAM95 said:

I felt like that teenager who went to many of the playoff games during the late 90's- early 2000's......what a great night. Wish I went now, but watching at home was fun.

Glad the weather held up

where have the years gone? Still remember '95 when Don Mattingly was chasing that elusive title and some skinny kid from Michigan got called and we fell short in the Kingdome.

So many Memories

Truly the end of something I doubt I'll ever see again. Sure the Yankees will win and find talent but for Me it will never feel like this.

Thank You Derek

I could not agree more. It is going to be a really weird feeling.

I was 12 when Jeter came up. So he has been a constant throughout everything in my life that I have experienced. Good and bad. There was always Jeter on tv and on the radio up at our cottage on the 1,000 Islands. Went to high school, college, met so many new people, have done so much, seen the world, moved to new cities, lost my old man, got married. It sounds dramatic and it probably is but that is sports. Jeter was always a constant and he was always good. I have had so many incredible nights with friends at the hands of Jeter and the Yankees. 2001 with my old man. I was a senior in high school and it was my last 6 months of so of living at home.

My dad had Mantle and Whitey. He would have loved this. I have Mo, Pettitte and Jeter. I hope when I have a kid the Yankees can have another generation of players. Nothing will compare to Jeter. Mattingly was my first favorite player but I was a kid. Jeter is different.

Derek is my last favorite player of sorts. I will always love the Yankees and will have players I like more than others, but I will never look at a player again how I look at Jeter.

Thank you Derek, indeed.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Great words Cliffy... i also lost my Dad way too young in 2007, he was a big fan of the Yankees. He Came to this country in the late 70's....Reggie Jackson era and he and my Uncle were crazy for the Yankees and the Islanders....got to see alot of magic between the 2 Franchises at the time.
    I too had Derek thru my formative years...I was 14 when he came up....17yr old Freshman in College up at good ole' Oneonta State University near Cooperstown...I even remember the Yankees had an affiliate Team up there that I dont think exist anymore.

Even though this wasnt a Jeter moment...I'll never forget the '98 series VS the Padres when Tino took that pitch ( prob strike 3 ;) ) and the very next pitch Jacked a Grand Slam at the old Stadium....I jumped so high with all my Fraternity Brothers and everyone at this house off Campus it was the best thing ever....what a night that was. I bonded with so may people over the years over the Yankees but that night was so vivid and so much fun.

I guess when your 17 and your not suppose to be drinking and you find yourself surounded by awesome peopel, pretty girls and a moment like that....WOW

Also 2009 was sweet....I watched the 1st Game Lee vs Sabathia at the new stadium ( Jay-z was suppose to perform with Alicia but they bumped them to game 2 because of weather..BUMMER And LEE was on and we lost...I left still optimistic but wasnt feeling great.

Then to go down to Philly for the PJ shows and see that we were in a Hornets nest with Ed leading cheers during the shows for Raul, and the ring girl, and the people on the trains giving us shit for rocking Yankee gear..... then to see that Series go our way.....That was a great few weeks, despite Getting that Swine Flu shit that was going around

2000 Subway series, 96 & 99 Braves....2001 heartbreak

Those were the days just like Archy Bunker used to say. :)
    CROJAM95 said:

Great words Cliffy... i also lost my Dad way too young in 2007, he was a big fan of the Yankees. He Came to this country in the late 70's....Reggie Jackson era and he and my Uncle were crazy for the Yankees and the Islanders....got to see alot of magic between the 2 Franchises at the time.
    I too had Derek thru my formative years...I was 14 when he came up....17yr old Freshman in College up at good ole' Oneonta State University near Cooperstown...I even remember the Yankees had an affiliate Team up there that I dont think exist anymore.

Even though this wasnt a Jeter moment...I'll never forget the '98 series VS the Padres when Tino took that pitch ( prob strike 3 ;) ) and the very next pitch Jacked a Grand Slam at the old Stadium....I jumped so high with all my Fraternity Brothers and everyone at this house off Campus it was the best thing ever....what a night that was. I bonded with so may people over the years over the Yankees but that night was so vivid and so much fun.

I guess when your 17 and your not suppose to be drinking and you find yourself surounded by awesome peopel, pretty girls and a moment like that....WOW

Also 2009 was sweet....I watched the 1st Game Lee vs Sabathia at the new stadium ( Jay-z was suppose to perform with Alicia but they bumped them to game 2 because of weather..BUMMER And LEE was on and we lost...I left still optimistic but wasnt feeling great.

Then to go down to Philly for the PJ shows and see that we were in a Hornets nest with Ed leading cheers during the shows for Raul, and the ring girl, and the people on the trains giving us shit for rocking Yankee gear..... then to see that Series go our way.....That was a great few weeks, despite Getting that Swine Flu shit that was going around

2000 Subway series, 96 & 99 Braves....2001 heartbreak

Those were the days just like Archy Bunker used to say. :)

Awesome stuff, man. Good old Oneonta. Grew up in Binghamton and went to school in Albany. Spent many o' evenings in Oneonta. Nope, that team does not exist. They also had a team in Albany for a little while. Bernie played on that team, I know.

That is great. Reminds me of 2003. Also not really a Jeter moment, but a bunch of us were watching game 7. One or two Yankees haters in attendance as well, they were enjoying it greatly for a while. When Boone hit that home run I thought our apartment was going to collapse. Then proceeded to light massive amounts of fireworks on the streets of Albany.

2009 was awesome. Probably my favorite week ever between the shows and the world series. Especially cool since I live here now and my wife and I met in the Spectrum and both love Pearl Jam. Had all my friends from back home down. Had a huge mix of friends from here and friends from home tailgating, drinking and talking shit. Awesome time, especially the outcome.
  • Last night's ending would have been unbelievable if it was 100% absolutely believable because of who it was.

To see the O's standing and watching. Then Jeter taking time out in his on field interview to congratulate them and wish them luck. In about a 30 minute period from the moment Gardner sacrificed to the moment he left the field his whole career and what he is about was so perfectly summed up.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Some pissed off people in Boston tonight I am sure. Not even going to DH tonight.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    From the age of 5 to 23 now, Jeter has been the only shortshop I've known for the Yankees. He is the reason I wanted to play baseball and why I love this sport so much. Not only was he a hero for me as a baseball player but also a hero in life.

I remember watching game one of either the 1998 ALDS or ALCS (maybe ALCS) when he did the run, jump, and throw play to get the runner out at first and being absolutely mesmerized by that. The next day at school, I was asking my friends if they saw what Jeter did and showing them the play. As we know, he made that his signature play. I don't think I'll ever see a season like 1998 again. That was a joy to watch that team all season long. The greatest team, in my opinion.

Game 3 of the 2001 ALDS with the flip play. I was amazed by it then and still to this day. What else can you say about that play?

I remember watching the game against the Sox in 2004 and my cousin and I were instant messaging each other throughout. When Jeter dove, we said to each other, "Did you just see that?! That was unbelievable!"

My own little personal experience with Jeter (if you can call it that): it was my first Yankees game in 1997 and they were playing Montreal. My uncle had two extra tickets from his boss and he invited me and my father. These seats were a few rows back from home plate. During the second time around the line up, Jeter is on deck and my cousin David and I decide to start shouting his name. Before he can turn and see who is calling his name, Rey Sanchez (yes, I had to look that up), grounded out and Jeter went to the plate. Third time around, Jeter is back in the on deck circle and my cousin and I again begin to shout and call his name. As we are calling him, he turns and looks in our direction, smiles and nods his head toward us. You could not believe how excited we were after that. To this day, that is one of the highlights of our lives.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Not sure this was posted before on here, but an article from a few days ago about Jeter not being tossed from a game in his career and different umps talking about him.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11582355/derek-jeter-umps-make-call-captain-career
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Good stuff newch.

Is there anything more jeter than him beating out that infield single yesterday in a meaningless game?
  • Newch91 said:

Not sure this was posted before on here, but an article from a few days ago about Jeter not being tossed from a game in his career and different umps talking about him.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11582355/derek-jeter-umps-make-call-captain-career

I remember watching the game he almost got tossed from. That was an awful call.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    let's get off the Jeter love fest..... ;)

thoughts on the Girardi tirade?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

Had to be said. He's not wrong. Awkward timing but I am sure jeter agrees with him.

Good stuff newch.

Is there anything more jeter than him beating out that infield single yesterday in a meaningless game?

Thanks man.

He was doing what he's always done.
    Very cool
    Can't believe that is it. We are officially done watching jeter play baseball

imalive said:

Had to be said. He's not wrong. Awkward timing but I am sure jeter agrees with him.
    I have also felt the pain of bad Beltran.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    I thought Bernie was going to play a 3 hour version of Take Me Out To The Ballgame
    I miss igotid88
    edited September 2014
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    The O's took care of the Tigers quick. Wish we could have done that
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

baseball thread, dude....baseball thread.

Tigers are the buffalo bills of MLB.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

igotid88 said:

But my point is Yankees related
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

imalive said:

igotid88 said:

But my point is Yankees related
    ahhhhh.....gotcha.

but, at this point, your yanks are kinda irrevalent

:-S

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I'm more sad that Mattingly won't get a chance for a ring, than Jeter's retirement.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

I'm more sad that Mattingly won't get a chance for a ring, than Jeter's retirement.

Maybe he shouldn't have sat his best player
  • igotid88 said:

I don't understand that at all.

igotid88 said:

I don't understand that at all.
    Not at all.