The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    And for all the knock on Jeter's power, there will be only 6 shortstops in the Hall of Fame with a higher slugging percentage, of which only 2 have a higher batting average.

igotid88 said:
    haha--i was just going to post that.

so, you guys agree? is derek jeter overrated? pretty compelling case...
    It is not a compelling case. Jeter is overrated and underrated at the same time. It seems like no one has a sane opinion on the case.

Olbermann cherry picked stats. To put Willie Randolph in the same breath as Jeter is idiotic. Jeter's peak was never as high as other players, which is all Olbermann really pointed out, but he was so damn good for so long.

5th in Yankees all time WAR, 4th in offensive WAR, 1st in hits, 8th in batting average, 2nd in runs scored, 3rd in total bases, 1st in doubles. Oh and only 6th in the history of baseball in hits.

If Jeter sucks, how come there are 5 people in the history of baseball with more hits than him?

Olbermann can go fuck himself and stop trolling. He and the Yankees clearly had some sort of falling out, it has been going on for a year now.
    Bumping this up because it got stuck on the last page. Fuck Keith Olbermann.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    http://nypost.com/2014/09/22/hypocritical-jeter-always-somehow-comes-out-on-top/

He’s pushing it, isn’t he?
    The commemorative patch occupying the Yankees’ uniform for three weeks. The “2” flags encircling Yankee Stadium. The over-the-top Gatorade commercial.
    Yet in what is almost certainly his final week as a major leaguer, Derek Jeter still reigns as baseball’s perfect man because he’s so darn smooth at walking the tightrope. At making people feel good about giving him their money or their time in return for a handshake, a photo or simply sharing a large room with him with hundreds of other people.

On Monday, Jeter pushed it some more, appearing at a midtown Manhattan theater where fans paid a range of four-figure prices to pose for a photo (the higher end) or just witness a mildly entertaining, half-hour conversation between the Yankees’ retiring shortstop and notorious memorabilia schlockmeister Brandon Steiner (the lower end). “The Captain’s Farewell,” they called it. Again, he emerged unscathed. Then he headed to the Bronx and contributed a two-run double, a walk and an RBI groundout to the Yankees’ 5-0 blanking of the Orioles.
    Can any other modern-day athlete have his cake and eat it, too, as gracefully as Jeter? He has repeatedly indicated he doesn’t want to make a spectacle of his last lap. Then he has repeatedly participated in or not blocked spectacle-like actions. And forget about not getting hurt by such choices. He seems to benefit from them.

Steiner, whose Steiner Sports has ensnared the Yankees as well as marquee players like Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte, brought in all the clientele and then propped up his golden boy, acting like a schnook and providing Jeter with easy opportunities for words of wisdom and one-liners, most of which generated loud ovations from the crowd. (Thanks to Hennessy, the event’s co-sponsor, for inviting me.)
    Steiner asked Jeter if this last year had gone as he imagined it. “I didn’t want to go into it imagining anything,” Jeter responded. “I just wanted to experience it.”
    Steiner mentioned the possibility of the Yankees closing out their season with seven straight victories. “We have to win today,” Jeter said. Loud claps thundered.
    Most impressive of all, Jeter jabbed Steiner for turning the Stadium into one gigantic Steiner Sports warehouse, pointing out how each time Jeter returns home from a Yankees road trip, he finds a new seat and nameplate at his locker, the previous ones having already been put up for sale. As the patrons laughed and a grinning Steiner shook his head, a confident Jeter asked: “Am I lying?”
    So just to break this down: Jeter pointed out the absurdity of the memorabilia industry while both elevating it and profiting from it, too. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and his inept, arrogant team of public-relation gurus should study Jeter to learn the art of verbal pirouetting.
    Really, you could argue that the hardest part of Jeter’s farewell tour has proven to be the activity he professes to love the most: the baseball. When Steiner asked Jeter if he would reconsider retiring, the 40-year-old replied, “I feel like I could. I feel fine. But I don’t want to.” The Yankees would find themselves in quite a pickle if Jeter and his .256/.304/.313 slash line actually wanted an encore, his recent surge notwithstanding.
    edited September 2014
    MayDay10 said:

http://nypost.com/2014/09/22/hypocritical-jeter-always-somehow-comes-out-on-top/

He’s pushing it, isn’t he?
    The commemorative patch occupying the Yankees’ uniform for three weeks. The “2” flags encircling Yankee Stadium. The over-the-top Gatorade commercial.
    Yet in what is almost certainly his final week as a major leaguer, Derek Jeter still reigns as baseball’s perfect man because he’s so darn smooth at walking the tightrope. At making people feel good about giving him their money or their time in return for a handshake, a photo or simply sharing a large room with him with hundreds of other people.

On Monday, Jeter pushed it some more, appearing at a midtown Manhattan theater where fans paid a range of four-figure prices to pose for a photo (the higher end) or just witness a mildly entertaining, half-hour conversation between the Yankees’ retiring shortstop and notorious memorabilia schlockmeister Brandon Steiner (the lower end). “The Captain’s Farewell,” they called it. Again, he emerged unscathed. Then he headed to the Bronx and contributed a two-run double, a walk and an RBI groundout to the Yankees’ 5-0 blanking of the Orioles.
    Can any other modern-day athlete have his cake and eat it, too, as gracefully as Jeter? He has repeatedly indicated he doesn’t want to make a spectacle of his last lap. Then he has repeatedly participated in or not blocked spectacle-like actions. And forget about not getting hurt by such choices. He seems to benefit from them.

Steiner, whose Steiner Sports has ensnared the Yankees as well as marquee players like Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte, brought in all the clientele and then propped up his golden boy, acting like a schnook and providing Jeter with easy opportunities for words of wisdom and one-liners, most of which generated loud ovations from the crowd. (Thanks to Hennessy, the event’s co-sponsor, for inviting me.)
    Steiner asked Jeter if this last year had gone as he imagined it. “I didn’t want to go into it imagining anything,” Jeter responded. “I just wanted to experience it.”
    Steiner mentioned the possibility of the Yankees closing out their season with seven straight victories. “We have to win today,” Jeter said. Loud claps thundered.
    Most impressive of all, Jeter jabbed Steiner for turning the Stadium into one gigantic Steiner Sports warehouse, pointing out how each time Jeter returns home from a Yankees road trip, he finds a new seat and nameplate at his locker, the previous ones having already been put up for sale. As the patrons laughed and a grinning Steiner shook his head, a confident Jeter asked: “Am I lying?”
    So just to break this down: Jeter pointed out the absurdity of the memorabilia industry while both elevating it and profiting from it, too. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and his inept, arrogant team of public-relation gurus should study Jeter to learn the art of verbal pirouetting.
    Really, you could argue that the hardest part of Jeter’s farewell tour has proven to be the activity he professes to love the most: the baseball. When Steiner asked Jeter if he would reconsider retiring, the 40-year-old replied, “I feel like I could. I feel fine. But I don’t want to.” The Yankees would find themselves in quite a pickle if Jeter and his .256/.304/.313 slash line actually wanted an encore, his recent surge notwithstanding.

Steiner is the worst. He is everywhere.

I don't really get this article though. Is there a professional athlete alive who doesn't make money off this market?
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2014

igotid88 said:
    haha--i was just going to post that.

so, you guys agree? is derek jeter overrated? pretty compelling case...
    It is not a compelling case. Jeter is overrated and underrated at the same time. It seems like no one has a sane opinion on the case.

Olbermann cherry picked stats. To put Willie Randolph in the same breath as Jeter is idiotic. Jeter's peak was never as high as other players, which is all Olbermann really pointed out, but he was so damn good for so long.

5th in Yankees all time WAR, 4th in offensive WAR, 1st in hits, 8th in batting average, 2nd in runs scored, 3rd in total bases, 1st in doubles. Oh and only 6th in the history of baseball in hits.

If Jeter sucks, how come there are 5 people in the history of baseball with more hits than him?

Olbermann can go fuck himself and stop trolling. He and the Yankees clearly had some sort of falling out, it has been going on for a year now.
    Bumping this up because it got stuck on the last page. Fuck Keith Olbermann.
    He is a self-indulgent asshole.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
    They are basically going to wait as long as they possibly can tomorrow to get the game in.
    "You ought to see where the shortstop is playing"
    -John Sterling, Yankees Radio Play By Play
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    Hughes needed 1 more out for $500k bonus and the rain screwed him twice. But if doesn't pitch again, he'll have the record for best strikeout to walk ratio
    I miss igotid88
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    my buddy is going to a game or two in Boston. I dared him to chant "o-ver ra-ted" :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    so.....overrated then, huh?

haha
    www.myspace.com

so.....overrated then, huh?

haha

No
    get a hold of yourself, cliffy! :))

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

get a hold of yourself, cliffy! :))

I CAN'T
    Just occurred to me.......#2 is the only single digit yankee number not retired. Cosmic.

Cliffy must be hyperventilating by now....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

Just occurred to me.......#2 is the only single digit yankee number not retired. Cosmic.

Cliffy must be hyperventilating by now....

Yep, here it goes. I'll be back at some point
  • I will laugh if he doesn't play in Boston.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2014
    Awww shit, I thought he got it.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
    That happened
  • That happened

So close.

That happened

So close.
    Yeah stadium would have fallen down if that went out. I'll take an RBI double anytime though

That happened

So close.
    Yeah stadium would have fallen down if that went out. I'll take an RBI double anytime though
    I missed it. I assume they grooved a pitch? ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

That happened

So close.
    I missed it. I assume they grooved a pitch? ;)
    3-1 count so yeah, inside fastball. Turned it around and hit the top half of the wall in left center.
    O's will tie it.

Jeter will win it.

Bud has the script.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11