Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

just heard tanaka referred to as a #3 starter

That comment by cash is so overblown he was obviously trying to temper expectations for the guy,now if he turns out to be a 3 than the yanks made a huge mistake
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited February 2014

imalive said:

That comment by cash is so overblown he was obviously trying to temper expectations for the guy,now if he turns out to be a 3 than the yanks made a huge mistake
    Definitely trying to temper expectations a bit, but Tanaka is definitely a 3rd starter on this team behind CC and Kuroda. Also, he is not really projected to be a true ace and more of a 2 ceiling. He isn't as good as Darvish, even with the video game stats. Glad they got him though. Also, there is a bit of a transition so it is going to take time for him to adjust.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • imalive said:

Definitely trying to temper expectations a bit, but Tanaka is definitely a 3rd starter on this team behind CC and Kuroda. Also, he is not really projected to be a true ace and more of a 2 ceiling. He isn't as good as Darvish, even with the video game stats. Glad they got him though. Also, there is a bit of a transition so it is going to take time for him to adjust.
    I definitely think tanaka will pitch better than hk this year but slotting him in at the 3 spot initially will make the transition easier for him like you said. I think our rotation is going to be really good expect a big bounce back from CC this year and Pineda looks like he's ready to go he came in camp early and is in shape so it would be really disappointing if he's not with the team come OD.

imalive said:

I definitely think tanaka will pitch better than hk this year but slotting him in at the 3 spot initially will make the transition easier for him like you said. I think our rotation is going to be really good expect a big bounce back from CC this year and Pineda looks like he's ready to go he came in camp early and is in shape so it would be really disappointing if he's not with the team come OD.
    Fairly bold statement saying Tanaka will be better than HK, no? Dude has had a late season let down both years but has been one of the best pitchers in the game over the past couple years. That said, I agree, if Pineda is healthy, I am very comfortable with this rotation.

Now, I just don't understand why Drew isn't on this team.

Loved how he opened.
  • imalive said:

Fairly bold statement saying Tanaka will be better than HK, no? Dude has had a late season let down both years but has been one of the best pitchers in the game over the past couple years. That said, I agree, if Pineda is healthy, I am very comfortable with this rotation.

The 2nd half letdowns are a real concern and he's not getting any younger but really it's just a gut feeling about Tanaka. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think we're getting the real deal with this guy and with his makeup I think he's going to be a real force from the get go. A big plus in this is that we have McCann as well as his fellow countryman kuroda on the staff that he can learn from and both should make the transition a lot easier for him.

imalive said:

The 2nd half letdowns are a real concern and he's not getting any younger but really it's just a gut feeling about Tanaka. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I think we're getting the real deal with this guy and with his makeup I think he's going to be a real force from the get go. A big plus in this is that we have McCann as well as his fellow countryman kuroda on the staff that he can learn from and both should make the transition a lot easier for him.
    I hope you are right. I don't think we should be let down though if he looks like a 3 this year and a good 2 next. I do love his attitude and absolutely love that he chartered that jet to get here. I'm gonna be a big fan. Gonna be such a weird team this year. No arod, cano but McCann, ellsbury and Beltran. Gonna be fun. Really looking forward to this season
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891

we have McCann as well as his fellow countryman kuroda on the staff

mccann and kuroda are country men?

your syntax is garbled....you may have even dangled a participle

;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Welp, my day was just ruined
  • qq Posts: 97

:((
  • i just read that jeter is retiring after this season.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,891

He wasn't going to play forever.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Welp, my day was just ruined

Ugh lets hope he can stay healthy and get one more shot at another ring

Ugh lets hope he can stay healthy and get one more shot at another ring
    For sure. Wow, Mo and Jeter back to back. Brutal
    I love Mo and I know that a lot of Yankees fans have Mo as their favorite player ever, and I can't really argue with that but Jeter is on another level for me. There is just something different about an everyday player for me. And it's fucking Jeter. God damn.
  • Wonder if the Stephen Drew announcement is coming next week. Seems a strange time and way to announce such a thing. Smart getting out ahead of the questions. And good for him for assessing his situation so the Yanks could prepare. Just wondering if preparation starts with the Drew signing realizing he (Drew) will play 3rd for a year.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

Wonder if the Stephen Drew announcement is coming next week. Seems a strange time and way to announce such a thing. Smart getting out ahead of the questions. And good for him for assessing his situation so the Yanks could prepare. Just wondering if preparation starts with the Drew signing realizing he (Drew) will play 3rd for a year.

There is really no excuse for Drew not being on this team yet. None.
  • Wonder if the Stephen Drew announcement is coming next week. Seems a strange time and way to announce such a thing. Smart getting out ahead of the questions. And good for him for assessing his situation so the Yanks could prepare. Just wondering if preparation starts with the Drew signing realizing he (Drew) will play 3rd for a year.

That's why while there needs be no ulterior motive for Jeter to do anything, I still think there's a connection. I wonder if Cash got a call from Drew's agent saying - you can have him for 3 years/$24, 2/$16 or whatever the below market he seems to be at at the moment - but Cash wouldn't do it (or wasn't able to) without clear direction from Jeter. Not saying Jeter is running the team, but clearly he's a different player that you let do what he wants to do (for the most part). He's earned it.

And, let's be honest. Having an in-house quality back up for SS this year wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Wonder if the Stephen Drew announcement is coming next week. Seems a strange time and way to announce such a thing. Smart getting out ahead of the questions. And good for him for assessing his situation so the Yanks could prepare. Just wondering if preparation starts with the Drew signing realizing he (Drew) will play 3rd for a year.

That's why while there needs be no ulterior motive for Jeter to do anything, I still think there's a connection. I wonder if Cash got a call from Drew's agent saying - you can have him for 3 years/$24, 2/$16 or whatever the below market he seems to be at at the moment - but Cash wouldn't do it (or wasn't able to) without clear direction from Jeter. Not saying Jeter is running the team, but clearly he's a different player that you let do what he wants to do (for the most part). He's earned it.

And, let's be honest. Having an in-house quality back up for SS this year wouldn't be such a bad thing.

I don't think there is anything too this. I think he just feels it's time. Sounds like he told Hal this morning. Also, Drew's agent is Boras.

That said, Drew needs to be on this team

I don't think there is anything too this. I think he just feels it's time. Sounds like he told Hal this morning. Also, Drew's agent is Boras.

That said, Drew needs to be on this team
    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Jeter's retirement itself has anything to do with it. It just seems odd the timing and the way (Jeter's Facebook) it was announced. Is he doing a spring training field farewell tour, also? He wanted to give all the teams an extra month to think about how to one up themselves over what they gave to Mo last year? He wanted to do it just in case he gets injured in Spring Training?

Maybe, I'm completely off. But the timing, the way, the abruptness just seems to be weird to me.

Or, maybe, it's not. I'm totally guessing. And I understand the Boras doesn't cut deals angle you're alluding to. But, having a guy that is a more than a solid major leaguer that can (I would imagine) play 3B this year while being an insurance policy for a guy that's probably only going to play 100-120 in the field AND a ready replacement in 2015 just makes too much sense. And if Drew were signed and Jeter said nothing, what would the media frenzy be on that one?

So, I'm sticking with my theory that the timing (and not the actual retirement itself) of the announcement is tied with the Drew signing.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    whelp... looks like i will be flying home to the bronx often this summer...

• UGG Da Kids Day just turned for the worst!
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    yanks have six games in six nights out here in chicago in may. two against the cubs, four against the sox. that is when my farewell tour starts!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466

UGG Da Kids Day just turned for the worst!

say that again?
    www.myspace.com
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    If there was a place for him to end on the road i'm glad its Boston. Fierce rivalry, but nothing but respect for Jeter.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    edited February 2014
    Started the day on a really high note and ended it on a sad note. Jeter is all I've known in baseball since I started watching when I was five in '96. My all time favorite player.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful