The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    162....we have seen arods last at bat
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    That's bullshit.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    just wow.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Newch91 said:

That's bullshit.

I don't understand how someone can be suspended for 162 games for a first offense without a positive test. Not defending arod in the least, just don't get how mlb or the arbitrator can do this

Newch91 said:

That's bullshit.

I don't understand how someone can be suspended for 162 games for a first offense without a positive test. Not defending arod in the least, just don't get how mlb or the arbitrator can do this
    Exactly. That's my problem with this, too. First offense is 50 for a positive test, which he hasn't been tested positive yet.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • I think this actually helps the Yankees, but I don't understand it. There must be some evidence that we have not seen. Otherwise, this makes no sense. So, let's see the evidence already and be done with this saga.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.

I think this actually helps the Yankees, but I don't understand it. There must be some evidence that we have not seen. Otherwise, this makes no sense. So, let's see the evidence already and be done with this saga.

I mean arod is never playing for the Yankees again and it helps the 189 plan but I don't see how they can fill his production with what's out there. Think Drew will play 3rd or think jeter will move to 3rd?

No excuse to not get tanaka now
  • I think this actually helps the Yankees, but I don't understand it. There must be some evidence that we have not seen. Otherwise, this makes no sense. So, let's see the evidence already and be done with this saga.

I mean arod is never playing for the Yankees again and it helps the 189 plan but I don't see how they can fill his production with what's out there. Think Drew will play 3rd or think jeter will move to 3rd?

They've already replaced it at other spots. Not apples to apples. Yes arod would have been better than anybody they get for 3B but they already planned for this or a similar eventuality. The fact is even last year he was in and out of the lineup so the chances of him playing anywhere near 162 was remote.

Focusing on pitching is more important with the order they have now. So all things considered including his baggage this is good for them.

Still makes no sense in the surface though.
  • Wait. It's not just 162. It includes playoffs. Wow. Semantics bc it's not like the Yankees would roster him, but this ruling seems to have so many holes it that they want it be tossed. Nobody else had such an open ended suspension. Will be interstimg to see of the courts tak this on. They typically don't get involved in collectively bargained arbitration, but this case seems to have a lot if irregularities. There has to be other evidence they are basing this on.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy, just curious, why do you say arod wont play again? Injuries? He's under contract still til 2017 isn't he? What do you think happens to him for 2015?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    60 Minutes tonight may shed some light on this. I do not expect to hear one truthful word out of arod.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Cliffy, just curious, why do you say arod wont play again? Injuries? He's under contract still til 2017 isn't he? What do you think happens to him for 2015?

Just don't see the Yankees bringing him back and think he'll be cut at some point.. He will be just about 40 when he is trying to return after essentially missing 2 full seasons. I think the Yankees are a better team with him this year, but after missing a year, I don't think that would necessarily be true in 2015 and I don't think the Yankees care to have that circus around for whatever he may or may not provide. I also think if the Yankees cut him he will be black balled harder than Barry Bonds was.

I think this actually helps the Yankees, but I don't understand it. There must be some evidence that we have not seen. Otherwise, this makes no sense. So, let's see the evidence already and be done with this saga.

They've already replaced it at other spots. Not apples to apples. Yes arod would have been better than anybody they get for 3B but they already planned for this or a similar eventuality. The fact is even last year he was in and out of the lineup so the chances of him playing anywhere near 162 was remote.

Focusing on pitching is more important with the order they have now. So all things considered including his baggage this is good for them.

The thing is, they didn't replace his production already because they lost Cano and Granderson. So what they got may have replaced them. Definitely couldn't expect him to play 162 but him 100 games of .250/.350/.415 is better than anything they are going to get. Shit knock each of those numbers down 10 points and it still MUCH better than anything they have.

The infield they have right now is absolutely repulsive. Don't know what you are going to get out of Tex. Roberts/Johnson is fucking horrible, love Jeter but can't expect anything out of him and who knows at 3rd. That is horrible and it would be a whole lot better if Arod were part of it.

Don't like the guy as a person, but the Yankees could use him as a player.
    edited January 2014
    imalive said:

60 Minutes tonight may shed some light on this. I do not expect to hear one truthful word out of arod.

Of course not. He is full of shit and is definitely cheater but that doesn't make the biggest PED punishment in the history of the sport any more acceptable for a first time offense that didn't even have a positive test.

imalive said:

Of course not. He is full of shit and is definitely cheater but that doesn't make the biggest PED punishment in the history of the sport any more acceptable for a first time offense that didn't even have a positive test.
    that is true..... as I said, 60 Minutes may shed some light.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

. I also think if the Yankees cut him he will be black balled harder than Barry Bonds was.

how would that be possible? Bonds was still a decent player in his last year with the Giants and he got not one nibble.... even after saying he would play for minimum.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

. I also think if the Yankees cut him he will be black balled harder than Barry Bonds was.

how would that be possible? Bonds was still a decent player in his last year with the Giants and he got not one nibble.... even after saying he would play for minimum.

Very true.
  • Cliffy, just curious, why do you say arod wont play again? Injuries? He's under contract still til 2017 isn't he? What do you think happens to him for 2015?

Just don't see the Yankees bringing him back and think he'll be cut at some point.. He will be just about 40 when he is trying to return after essentially missing 2 full seasons. I think the Yankees are a better team with him this year, but after missing a year, I don't think that would necessarily be true in 2015 and I don't think the Yankees care to have that circus around for whatever he may or may not provide. I also think if the Yankees cut him he will be black balled harder than Barry Bonds was.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I assume the Yankees would be eating that 25 mil? or is it 50 mil? yikes.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Bullshit

Newch91 said:

That's bullshit.

Based on this ruling lets say Ortiz fails another test in ST does he get 65(Braun) or closer to Arod 162?

The thing is, they didn't replace his production already because they lost Cano and Granderson. So what they got may have replaced them. Definitely couldn't expect him to play 162 but him 100 games of .250/.350/.415 is better than anything they are going to get. Shit knock each of those numbers down 10 points and it still MUCH better than anything they have.

The infield they have right now is absolutely repulsive. Don't know what you are going to get out of Tex. Roberts/Johnson is fucking horrible, love Jeter but can't expect anything out of him and who knows at 3rd. That is horrible and it would be a whole lot better if Arod were part of it.

Wanna bet they score more runs this year than last?

Grandy is overrated. His closest career statistic similars are Ron Gant and JD Drew.

I like how you don't know what you're going to get out of 34 yo Mark Teixeira, but unjuiced 38 yo A-Rod would be a boon to the team.

And what if we told you no Tanaka if A-Rod was on the books for 2014? (I don't know this to be the case one way or the other)

Again, so many variables, but on balance, the Yankees are better off without a declining A-Rod. Still doesn't make the judgment fair or right. But, it's not 2009 anymore.

Cano is the huge loss they need to hopefully replace. But, I'm not expecting them to do that at 2B in the next 50 years. They'll have to do it elsewhere. (And then again, in 4 years, I don't think he'll be the same player HE is today. We are back to the classic Age 27 rule. No more Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, A-Rod getting BETTER in their mid to late 30's. That ship has sailed).

Cliffy6745" said:
    Sooo, Arod getting off would be best case scenario at this point, huh?

Before not having him would free up salary for other people. Now I feel like they need his bat, whatever that is.
    Always was. The more I look at this, though is they knew the Cano think was happening and that resulted in the Ellsbury signing. It's not an exact trade off obviously, but I'm guessing while they wouldn't have minded Cano coming back at that point, they signed the Ellsbury contract assuming he wasn't.

As for A-Rod - Always helps to have another bat.

Bump.

Tex is coming off a wrist surgery that almost made Ortiz retire, so it really has nothing to do with his age and more to do with the specific injury. I am not comparing Tex and Arod. I am comparing Arod and whatever the fuck they are going to do about 3rd base. As you always say, don't care about the money, the Yankees are a better team this year with him at 3rd base.

Also, I'd say Arod coming back would give them a better chance at landing Tanaka in some ways since they would have had no chance at $189 with Arod, period. Now that he is off the books, Hal can get cheap and get under the 189 if he wants.

imalive said:

imalive said:

that is true..... as I said, 60 Minutes may shed some light.

What a joke that was. MLB got a free 20 minute commercial from CBS

Bullshit

Newch91 said:

That's bullshit.

Based on this ruling lets say Ortiz fails another test in ST does he get 65(Braun) or closer to Arod 162?
    He gets 50, you know this. haha

Cliffy, just curious, why do you say arod wont play again? Injuries? He's under contract still til 2017 isn't he? What do you think happens to him for 2015?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I assume the Yankees would be eating that 25 mil? or is it 50 mil? yikes.

$61 mil. They will eat it.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760

Bullshit

Newch91 said:

That's bullshit.

He gets 50, you know this. haha
    He gets a plaque in the Hall of Fame and his number retired by all teams
    I miss igotid88
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    edited January 2014

Take your .270/18/57 that ARod got in 2012 (120 games - age 36) and project to 2014 and you have Kelly Johnson (.235/16/52 in 118 games last year age 31 - consistent with his 2011). Move the lefty (Johnson) to Yankee Stadium - is he really that much worse than what you expect to get from A-Rod? Add in a Righty platoon partner, and you might even end up with a better 3B option. And no drama about batting him 8th where he belongs.

You are right - forget the money (but not the baggage). They are better off without A-Rod any way you look at it.

EDIT: And btw, Johnson's advanced defensive metrics are better than A-Rod's the last 2 years, as well (realize before last year he played mostly 2B, but those advanced metrics account for that).
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on

no fan of big sloppy, but I don't think he has ever failed a test.

he also told reporters, "I'll get back to you on that" and, of course, never did.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

he also told reporters, "I'll get back to you on that" and, of course, never did.

I think he failed that 2003 test.
  • Newch91 said:

imalive said:

I think he failed that 2003 test.
    He sure did and here's his quote
    I want to talk about this situation and I will as soon as I have more answers. In the meantime I want to let you know how I am approaching this situation. One, I have already contacted the Players Association to confirm if this report is true. I have just been told that the report is true. Based on the way I have lived my life, I am surprised to learn I tested positive. Two, I will find out what I tested positive for. And, three, based on whatever I learn, I will share this information with my club and the public. You know me - I will not hide and I will not make excuses.