The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    So far we're 0-2 with Japanese starting pitchers. Unless I'm forgetting someone
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:

Kuroda

igotid88 said:

Kuroda

Yea but at least we knew what he could do in the Majors. Maybe not AL but it wasn't a big risk.
    I miss igotid88
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    edited January 2014
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Kuroda

Yea but at least we knew what he could do in the Majors. Maybe not AL but it wasn't a big risk.
    There were 6 or 7 teams that were offering over 100mm so a lot of teams think he's the real deal . He's definitely a risk but less so for the Yanks and with our rotation and what was left out there it was a no brainer considering his upside.
    Post edited by Bronx Bombers on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    your infield still stinks.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

Your team still stinks

Your team still stinks

haha

despite all the big moves the yanks have made, wouldn't you agree that this is still an 80-85 win team or so?
    www.myspace.com

Your team still stinks

haha

despite all the big moves the yanks have made, wouldn't you agree that this is still an 80-85 win team or so?
    I think they are better than 85 but don't think they are completely there quite there yet. They are clearly going to need more infield help, which it seems will be a mid-season thing and they need another arm or two in the pen. If they can get a decent infielder and a decent arm or two, I think they are a very solid team. You know what they have now isn't going to be what they settle on.

The lineup is not bad at all, some health issues for sure though. Replace Roberts at some point with something better (can either be 3rd base or 2nd) and I am very comfortable with that.

Ellsbury
    Jeter
    Beltran
    Tex
    McCann
    Soriano
    Kelly Johnson
    Roberts
    Gardner

Starting rotation is pretty good, some question marks, but could be really good if things fall right and could be poor if there are some bad breaks.

CC
    Kuroda
    Tanaka
    Nova
    Pineda/Warren/etc.

Pen needs help.

Teams have done well and won with much worse.

"some health issues" is putting it mildly, cliff. i think a lot has to break the right way for them to win more than 85. but we'll see.

either way, with football dying down and a foot of snow sitting on my deck, pitchers and catchers can't get here soon enough.
    www.myspace.com
    edited January 2014

"some health issues" is putting it mildly, cliff. i think a lot has to break the right way for them to win more than 85. but we'll see.

either way, with football dying down and a foot of snow sitting on my deck, pitchers and catchers can't get here soon enough.

The two real health issues in the lineup are Jeter and Tex. Tex's wrist worries me a lot, almost made Ortiz retire and he says it is still tight and is going to get a bit of a late start to spring training. I don't think you can expect much out of Jeter. Who cares about Roberts, he'll be gone by June. Tex is the wild card.

Word. I can't wait.
    yeah but ellsbury gets hurt every other year. and beltran will be 37 in april. gotta figure he will start falling apart soon or at least his production is bound to start slipping this year. that's half of the lineup.
    www.myspace.com
    edited January 2014
    fucking double posts.
    www.myspace.com
    And I'd like to add that Boston is clearly worse than the

yeah but ellsbury gets hurt every other year. and beltran will be 37 in april. gotta figure he will start falling apart soon or at least his production is bound to start slipping this year. that's half of the lineup.

Slightly worried about Beltran's knees but being able to DH should help. I don't like him in the 3rd year of the deal at all, but not terribly worried about this year.

No concern over Ellsbury. All freak accidents and nothing that will nag.

• yeah but ellsbury gets hurt every other year. and beltran will be 37 in april. gotta figure he will start falling apart soon or at least his production is bound to start slipping this year. that's half of the lineup.

Beltrans production should go up due to his pull tendencys playing in the NYS, that along with his ability to DH should be a huge plus keeping him in the lineup

Busch vs NYS

Right Field 375 vs 353
    Right Field Line 335 vs 314

Heyman, who is basically Boras so take it with a gigantic grain of salt, said that the Yankees may sign Drew. Yeah, I would most definitely be on board with that. Would be a huge boost for the infield.
    And just like that Rosenthal says it's not happening. Fucking Heyman.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    edited January 2014
    K Law's farm system rankings came out today. Yankees at 20. Highlighted the injuries and the step back for players who weren't hurt. Also mentions this is a big year since everyone should be healthy going into the year so they need some rebounds this year. Nothing surprising in any of that.
    Was up in New York for the first time in a while today. Really surprised at the lack of Super Bowl stuff, especially around Penn Station. Some of the vendors had signs but other than that there was really only a few volunteers and one big sign giving directions.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893

Your team still stinks

they both stink. phillies probably more so than yanks.

;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Was up in New York for the first time in a while today. Really surprised at the lack of Super Bowl stuff, especially around Penn Station. Some of the vendors had signs but other than that there was really only a few volunteers and one big sign giving directions.

I think by Wednesday there might be more . But then again this NYC. A lot of stuff going on.

I miss igotid88
    imalive said:

Your team still stinks

;)
    What was that?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/rankings/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants
    igotid88 said:

I think by Wednesday there might be more . But then again this NYC. A lot of stuff going on.

No doubt, but this is the Super Bowl.
  • igotid88 said:

No doubt, but this is the Super Bowl.
    You are 100% correct. I actually pass through Penn Station and work in Newark. Even yesterday when media day was basically up the block from my office, you barely noticed anything. A couple helicopters in the morning and afternoon (Assume going to Manhattan to transport Mike Francessa :)) ), but other than at the Pru Center, you wouldn't have known anything was going on. Yeah, you're starting to see jerseys pop up, and theres some yellow vested "guides" hanging around. But, quite frankly, even to my surprise - NYC is actually too big for the Super Bowl. It just got swallowed up. Maybe by this afternoon, I'll notice more. And I may head up to check out 6th Ave before I head home. But, like everything else in NYC, there's so much more going on, that if you didn't care, the Super Bowl doesn't even exist.

I was even at the Garden Monday night for Billy Joel, and you would have no idea that a block away the NFL was having their biggest party of the year. A Monday night and it didn't make an impression!!!! What's it going to be overwhelmed by on a typical Friday in the city?

Maybe, it's the disjointed fact of where the stadium actually is. Jersey is trying hard to claim the Super Bowl but the NFL won't let them, and NYC doesn't really care (though I'm sure up at the NFL Experience, stuff is happening. But, outside that bubble it's just another thing going on in NY). I even drove past the Stadium on the Turnpike Monday, and other than a few extra trailers in the parking lot, you wouldn't even know anything special is about to happen there. It's just so out in the boonies that there's no reason to go there except for the actual game. I'd ask folks in other cities where the Super Bowl has been - is it a bigger deal when the Super Bowl is in town there? Or, it is completely over hyped and over whelmed as it seems to be here in NYC/Jersey/Swamp Stadium.

Maybe, the Super Bowl does belong in places like Indy, SD, etc. where big stuff like this doesn't happen pretty much on a daily basis.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • BronyBrony Posts: 631

Maybe, the Super Bowl does belong in places like Indy, SD, etc. where big stuff like this doesn't happen pretty much on a daily basis.

i completely agree

i wouldn't think most people would arrive until thursday and friday though...
    www.myspace.com
    edited January 2014
    No doubt to everything. There just wasn't anything around Penn Station that screamed Super Bowl week, regardless if the fans are there yet or not. I was a bit surprised is all.

I don't know if this is the best comparison and granted there are a whole lot more people in town for the marathon, but I feel like you know something big is going on during marathon weekend. That definitely has to do with the location as well.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893

imalive said:

Your team still stinks

;)
    What was that?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/rankings/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants

that was LAST year. my boys excel in EVEN # years.... 2010, 2012....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The YES Network announced today that on February 10, at 7 p.m. ET, it will broadcast the June 9, 2013 Nippon Professional League game between the Rakuten Golden Eagles and the Yomiuri Giants. Why? Because Masahiro Tanaka started the game for the Golden Eagles and threw seven shutout innings. The YES broadcast will be provided in partnership with ONE World Sports, the TV home of the Yomiuri Giants.

Along with the broadcast announcement, YES passed along Tanaka scouting reports from John Flaherty, Ken Singleton and Al Leiter based on video they’ve seen.

John Flaherty
    “His fastball looks like it has a little more movement than I heard it did. It sinks in a bit on right-handed hitters; not enough to call it a sinker, but enough that the hitter will pay attention. He threw a lot of sliders-cutters in this game. It looks like he has a lot of confidence in it and he threw it for strikes when he was behind in the count. That tells me that this is his off-speed pitch that a catcher can call anytime and have confidence that it will be a strike. Kind of a get-me-back-in-the-count pitch. … His curve ball might not be a strikeout pitch, but it could be used for a get-me-over strike on the first pitch of an at-bat. The split looks like the best swing-and-a-miss pitch for him. I thought he would throw it more but he picked his spots in this game. You can see how a catcher will go to that pitch when the game is on the line. … His delivery is simple and he loads up on his back leg well. He is quick to the plate out of the stretch, so Brian McCann is going to love that. It also looks like he is a good athlete and fields his position well.”

Ken Singleton
    “I was impressed with his control. He is constantly working the corners with all of his pitches. Tanaka has enough fastball, a good curve, a slider and a top-shelf splitter. He was not afraid to use his curve and slider when behind in the count. All his pitches were quality.”

Al Leiter
    “I think Masahiro Tanaka’s repertoire and “stuff” plays very well. His fastball velocity will sit at the 91-93mph mark and occasional touch 95. He has a very good split that has great late action with good velocity. His split finger is his main secondary pitch and his slider is better than his curveball. … I really like his mound presence and disposition. He pitches with a fire in his belly and is emotionally involved. … I think Tanaka can be a front-end starter once he gets acclimated to the routine of American baseball.”

Alex drops both lawsuits
    I miss igotid88