The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    3:07pm: The Mariners may have topped the Yankees' offer to Cano, a source tells Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News. That same source indicated to McCarron that the Mariners are pursuing Cano "guns-a-blazing," and making the pitch to Cano that he can either be a Yankee legend or be a baseball legend by helping the Mariners win their first World Series.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    It makes no difference what he is technically worth. It is what he is worth to the Yankees. When you factor in WAR, he will not live up to the contract. BUT the Yankees don't give a shit about money so it makes no difference what he makes.

It's not what he is worth to 29 other teams, it is what he is worth to the Yankees. If I were a fan of 28 or so other teams and they did this, I would be annoyed. We are not talking about the Kansas City Royals. Would he be worth $153 mil to them? Fuck no. But it doesn't make a bit of difference.

As I mentioned, it only matters if his salary was going to hold them back from doing other things and is being overpaid. Francesca wouldn't shut up about this today and about his contract is going to handcuff them. Bullshit. Like I said, if they are making moves like this with $100 million of Arod left and all the other bloated contracts they have, then it sure as hell isn't going to stop them from signing another big name when they need him.

By the way. MLBTR and Fangraphs both predicted a 7 year $150 mil contract for Ellsbury
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Does anyone else feel like Cano is going to follow the money to Seattle?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Newch91 wrote:

the contracts in this sport are so asinine. a quarter of a billion dollars for a 31 year old 2nd baseman?
    www.myspace.com
    Newch91 wrote:

the contracts in this sport are so asinine. a quarter of a billion dollars for a 31 year old 2nd baseman?
    It's insane.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    Could this be the end of Ca-Yes?
    I miss igotid88
    What the fuck is jay z doing. Fuckers are desperate
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Jay Z is 1) a homer 2) a fucking retard.

So much for his career in sports.
  • 235+ million tied up for Ellsbury and McCann but won't exceed 170 for a home grown guy who's much more durable and a #3 hitter?? I'm totally against the initial demands of Cano and mega 10 yr contracts but come on stripes you're losing me here
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    What the fuck is jay z doing. Fuckers are desperate

Amateur hour but what else do you expect when you hire a former crack dealer to represent you :lol:
    235+ million tied up for Ellsbury and McCann but won't exceed 170 for a home grown guy who's much more durable and a #3 hitter?? I'm totally against the initial demands of Cano and mega 10 yr contracts but come on stripes you're losing me here

I get why cano is annoyed at the ellsbury contract, he should be. The thing is the Yankees are willing to give out a lot of really really big contracts but won't do idiotic contracts like arod anymore.

This is a fucking mess
    Great stuff from feinsand on twitter. Mariners thought they were set, jay z asked for a 10th year and the CEO "exploded" and ended the meeting
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    235+ million tied up for Ellsbury and McCann but won't exceed 170 for a home grown guy who's much more durable and a #3 hitter?? I'm totally against the initial demands of Cano and mega 10 yr contracts but come on stripes you're losing me here

I get why cano is annoyed at the ellsbury contract, he should be. The thing is the Yankees are willing to give out a lot of really really big contracts but won't do idiotic contracts like arod anymore.

This is a fucking mess
    Thanks Hank for that idiotic contract.
    The thing is, none of this makes any sense. You don't fire boras, the guy who has basically negotiated every big deal ever and hire jay z if you are trying to chase every last penny. You hire jay z to make money in New York. Just fucking sign
    :corn: This is just entertaining now.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Great stuff from feinsand on twitter. Mariners thought they were set, jay z asked for a 10th year and the CEO "exploded" and ended the meeting

And up it to 252, which I think is the bigger deal. The uneducated will believe anything, and obviously Cano see "JAY Z"!!!! and creams himself.

How do you fire the best guy in the business for maxing deals for a rapper? How is that guy even allowed to lead these negotiations?
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

This is a fucking mess

I don't. You make $170 million, why does it matter if someone else makes $153? He's being a baby if he's upset. He's entitled to make any decision he wants. He can take Seattle's money and I hold nothing against him. Purely business decision and that's fine. It would be a TERRRIBLE business decision (how much are regional commercials paying in Seattle?), but it's his decision to make.

The Yankees need to pony up another $5 to $10 million to salve the wound and allow him and Jay to save face and move on. It's like Ross and Rachel. Everyone knows they're going to end up together (even though in real life it's completely inexplicable - wait. That was just Ross and Rachel. Cano staying put makes all the sense in the world for both sides, especially Cano - the Yankees get to continue to be the Yankees. Cano only has 1 chance to be relevant).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

And up it to 252, which I think is the bigger deal. The uneducated will believe anything, and obviously Cano see "JAY Z"!!!! and creams himself.

How do you fire the best guy in the business for maxing deals for a rapper? How is that guy even allowed to lead these negotiations?

Eh. Jay is looking for a way out of this (or is it Mr. Z?). He totally f'd this up and needs to save face. He never intends to put a player in Seattle, so he doesn't care if he pisses the owner off. He's a commercial retailer, not a sports agent.
  • Enrique Rojas/ESPN ‏@Enrique_Rojas1 3m
    #Mariners and Cano agree. $240 million/10 years. Physical next monday in Seattle
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • I don't. You make $170 million, why does it matter if someone else makes $153? He's being a baby if he's upset.

I get it to some degree, although players really should only be concerned about themselves. But this is somewhat why I was annoyed at the Ellsbury contract. Paying him that much is setting/changing a standard.
    If you buy a house, they check comparable prices in the area to judge what its worth. I'd bet that this happens to some degree in the business of baseball too. Everyone sees the ridiculous Ellsbury contract. And now if they dont get ridiculous with Cano, they risk losing him.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • I don't. You make $170 million, why does it matter if someone else makes $153? He's being a baby if he's upset.

I get it to some degree, although players really should only be concerned about themselves. But this is somewhat why I was annoyed at the Ellsbury contract. Paying him that much is setting/changing a standard.
    If you buy a house, they check comparable prices in the area to judge what its worth. I'd bet that this happens to some degree in the business of baseball too. Everyone sees the ridiculous Ellsbury contract. And now if they dont get ridiculous with Cano, they risk losing him.

Wow. I was dead wrong. Cano took the money. Good luck.
    Wow. Shocked. Enjoy selling umbrellas
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    Ca-Nooooo
    I miss igotid88
  • Maybe, they threw in free tickets to tonight's show. Ed's the official welcoming party.
  • You gotta be fucking kidding me. I am still surprised though.
    Ok, let me see how this sounds: Go Mets? Go Marlins? Yeah, fuck the Yankees. I'm picking a new team. :evil:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    My mind is blown
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    espn.com's saying something about a "snag" :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    espn.com's saying something about a "snag" :?

Where is this?
  • actually, never mind...that was stupid what I said. I dont blame the Yankees for not wanting another ARod mistake. But I gotta wonder how much this terrible Ellsbury contract ruined their chances.
    actually, never mind...that was stupid what I said. I dont blame the Yankees for not wanting another ARod mistake. But I gotta wonder how much this terrible Ellsbury contract ruined their chances.

Zero, the Yankees stated from the beginning they weren't going above $200 or even close to that.