The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• By mid-day Friday, Seattle had heard that some team bid nine years and $225 million for Robinson Cano, so the Mariners upped their bid to $240 million and 10 years before apparently realizing the initial bid had come from themselves, too.

http://deadspin.com/the-mariners-may-ha ... 1479755692

Too funny if this is true :lol:
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    By mid-day Friday, Seattle had heard that some team bid nine years and $225 million for Robinson Cano, so the Mariners upped their bid to $240 million and 10 years before apparently realizing the initial bid had come from themselves, too.

:lol::lol: Please be true. :lol::lol:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    By mid-day Friday, Seattle had heard that some team bid nine years and $225 million for Robinson Cano, so the Mariners upped their bid to $240 million and 10 years before apparently realizing the initial bid had come from themselves, too.

Sadly that was the Yanks during the Arod negotiations... :fp:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • "A lot of the people I've met in New York have always said true New Yorkers are Mets fans," the former Yankees outfielder said after being introduced at the Winter Meetings. "So I'm excited to get a chance to see them all out there."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1543419

Way to suck up Curtis but this should go over well with the fans of the JV team. :lol:
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Yankees plan to retire number 6 at somepoint, cashman said today. He definitely deserves it but how many can they do from that team?

42, 2, 6 are definites. What do you do with 20 and 46? 5 from one era seems like a lot
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yankees plan to retire number 6 at somepoint, cashman said today. He definitely deserves it but how many can they do from that team?

42, 2, 6 are definites. What do you do with 20 and 46? 5 from one era seems like a lot
    21 is honorably retired.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    I am not necessarily in the trade Gardner camp, but if they can turn Gardner into Justin Masterson, I think I would most definitely be down with that. Coming off a big year though, hope it isn't sell high on Masterson.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

21 is honorably retired.

People will wear 21 again. Latroy Hawkins already has.
  • 21is unofficially retired. When Hawkins requested it, he got shit from fans and teammates. He quickly requested another number. I think 51 should be considered too.
    21is unofficially retired. When Hawkins requested it, he got shit from fans and teammates. He quickly requested another number. I think 51 should be considered too.

You can't retire 7 numbers from 1 team. I love the Yankee history and all, but that's absurd.

And while we're at it. Can Maris' number be unretired?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

On one hand i hear ya, but on the other, hasn't the Maris family been fucked over enough by baseball.
    besides i like Barry Pepper
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    21is unofficially retired. When Hawkins requested it, he got shit from fans and teammates. He quickly requested another number. I think 51 should be considered too.

51 should be retired over 21 anyday. i'm insulted as a yankee fan that the organization has not had a bernie williams day yet. fuck... i know the two sides didn't part on the best terms, but swallow some pride and honor the man. give him his day, retire his number. what makes it most upsetting is they should have done this in 2008 before they tore down the old place where he played every single game.

my favorite yankee of all time bar none and top 10 yankee in my book. survived those horrendous early 90's teams, was there when this team was in the dumps. was the only guy on all of those championship teams that was around pre-torre / wild card era.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

On one hand i hear ya, but on the other, hasn't the Maris family been fucked over enough by baseball.
    besides i like Barry Pepper

Ha, yeah, it was a good movie and you are right about his family and all. It just never should have been retired in the first place.
    rival. wrote:

51 should be retired over 21 anyday. i'm insulted as a yankee fan that the organization has not had a bernie williams day yet. fuck... i know the two sides didn't part on the best terms, but swallow some pride and honor the man. give him his day, retire his number. what makes it most upsetting is they should have done this in 2008 before they tore down the old place where he played every single game.

my favorite yankee of all time bar none and top 10 yankee in my book. survived those horrendous early 90's teams, was there when this team was in the dumps. was the only guy on all of those championship teams that was around pre-torre / wild card era.

Would you go 51 over 20?

It's just so tough with everyone on those teams.
    It definitely is tough to decide who gets their number retired for those late '90s/2000s teams. Obviously 2 and 42 (already) because of what they accomplished, both 5 rings, Jeter as the Captain, ROY, WS and AS MVP in the same year, and first Yankee to get 3,000 hits are just some of his accomplishments. Mo because he was dominant and a key part of those teams, all-time saves leader, and just because he was Mo. I'm in agreement with rival about having Bernie's number retired. He made good points and I'm also agreeing because he was my second favorite Yankee growing up after Jeter.

If you look at those late '70s teams, they had 4 numbers retired from those teams: Thurm, Reggie, Gator, and Billy Martin, probably more for managing than as a player. That's what I believe. So it's very possible those late '90s/2000s teams could 4 numbers retired as well, maybe more.

That's my thinking for all this.
  • rival. wrote:

Love Bernie, but that bothers Yankee fans more than 31? He was 10 times the player Bernie was (sorry). I guess that also shows why all these numbers shouldn't be getting retired "just because" of WS wins. Bernie won't even stay on the HoF ballot more than 2 years. Winfield was a no doubter.

Anyway - Winfield should have had his day long ago. Though I guess he gets joy every 3 years when old Georgie boy gets rejected (and rightfully so) by the Veterans committee.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    edited December 2013
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would you go 51 over 20?

absolutely. hate to compare numbers, but bernie's career & postseason numbers kill jorge's. jorge wasn't the #1 guy behind the plate until '99? not downplaying him, but i just think bernie has a little more ownership out of those championship rings than jorge does. tough to compare as they both played two of the most important positions on the diamond.

but at the end of the day, bernie was always one of the premier centerfielders in the american league and once griffey went to the reds, he was THE premier centerfielder in the american league.

jorge... switch hitting catcher, durable, respectable average, fantastic relationship with his pitchers. but that's what you wanted and expected from a catcher. but i don't think he was ever one of the premier guys in the league and sure you can find a home for him in the top 20/25 yankees of all time.

the only numbers i would retire from that era, in order would be:

51 > 46 > 21 > 20

edit: the above numbers obviously don't include 2 and 42 as those are so obvious they don't need to be mentioned or argued :lol:
    Post edited by rival. on
  • Newch91 wrote:
    It definitely is tough to decide who gets their number retired for those late '90s/2000s teams. Obviously 2 and 42 (already) because of what they accomplished, both 5 rings, Jeter as the Captain, ROY, WS and AS MVP in the same year, and first Yankee to get 3,000 hits are just some of his accomplishments. Mo because he was dominant and a key part of those teams, all-time saves leader, and just because he was Mo. I'm in agreement with rival about having Bernie's number retired. He made good points and I'm also agreeing because he was my second favorite Yankee growing up after Jeter.

If you look at those late '70s teams, they had 4 numbers retired from those teams: Thurm, Reggie, Gator, and Billy Martin, probably more for managing than as a player. That's what I believe. So it's very possible those late '90s/2000s teams could 4 numbers retired as well, maybe more.

Not too hard - 2, 6, 42 Done.

That's it. You should be a HoF no doubter or with mitigating circumstances (Thurman) to get retired. While we're at it, we could put a few more numbers back in circulation. It was never meant to be these are my favorite Yankees.
  • rival. wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would you go 51 over 20?

absolutely. hate to compare numbers, but bernie's career & postseason numbers kill jorge's. jorge wasn't the #1 guy behind the plate until '99? not downplaying him, but i just think bernie has a little more ownership out of those championship rings than jorge does. tough to compare as they both played two of the most important positions on the diamond.

but at the end of the day, bernie was always one of the premier centerfielders in the american league and once griffey went to the reds, he was THE premier centerfielder in the american league.

jorge... switch hitting catcher, durable, respectable average, fantastic relationship with his pitchers. but that's what you wanted and expected from a catcher. but i don't think he was ever one of the premier guys in the league and sure you can find a home for him in the top 20/25 yankees of all time.

51 > 46 > 21 > 20

Bernie is definitely ahead of Jorge. The primary C on the first 2 teams and the 50% on the 3rd WS (he went 2 for 8 in the WS that year) is now the Manager. Jorge wasn't unquestioned primary C until 4th WS. Girardi deserves his number retired more than Jorge if that's your basis.
    rival. wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would you go 51 over 20?

51 > 46 > 21 > 20

edit: the above numbers obviously don't include 2 and 42 as those are so obvious they don't need to be mentioned or argued :lol:

I would argue that Jorge was really underrated on all of the teams. Every player has always said Jorge was the vocal leader while Jeter lead by example. I would tend to agree with you about the above but I would probably go Jorge over O'Neill. It is not easy to find a catcher with an OPS well above .800 for a career.
    Newch91 wrote:

Not too hard - 2, 6, 42 Done.

That's it. You should be a HoF no doubter or with mitigating circumstances (Thurman) to get retired. While we're at it, we could put a few more numbers back in circulation. It was never meant to be these are my favorite Yankees.

Yeah, no doubt. I would much prefer to go this route then retiring a team full of players just because of one hell of a dynasty.

And yeah, way too may number retired. Reggie and Maris are first on my list to go.
    it's fun and a fortunate situation yankee fans are in where you have to argue what numbers should be UNRETIRED to make room for those that SHOULD be retired :lol:

unlike my NY rangers where you try and find reason to retire ANY number that was on the 1994 squad. "steve larmer had two goals and an assist in game three of the eastern conference quater-finals... RETIRE HIS NUMBER!"
    edited December 2013
    Love the deal Corey hart got. Wish the Yankees got him on that deal over Beltran for 3 years
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    The colon contract on the other hand is hysterical
    Pete Rose on Cano: "Jay Z got him the money but also 30 days off in Oct."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m
    #yankees turned down a brandon phillips for brett gardner offer. #reds
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 2m
    #yankees turned down a brandon phillips for brett gardner offer. #reds

Thank fucking god
    Newch91 wrote:

Phenomenal
  • Newch91 wrote:
    that's a very funny line.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    @JonHeymanCBS NL source: before yanks turned down phillips-for-gardner bid asked to re-open his contract (add $) to agree to deal
    I miss igotid88