The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    actually, never mind...that was stupid what I said. I dont blame the Yankees for not wanting another ARod mistake. But I gotta wonder how much this terrible Ellsbury contract ruined their chances.

Zero, the Yankees stated from the beginning they weren't going above $200 or even close to that.

Well, they'll have fun filling those seats this year. Is Youklis coming back? :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    actually, never mind...that was stupid what I said. I dont blame the Yankees for not wanting another ARod mistake. But I gotta wonder how much this terrible Ellsbury contract ruined their chances.

Zero, the Yankees stated from the beginning they weren't going above $200 or even close to that.

Well, they'll have fun filling those seats this year. Is Youklis coming back? :lol:

We saw this year that Cano doesn't put players in the seat alone. They need to win. They are going to have to sign a few guys. Infante should be a Yankee tomorrow.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    as a non-Yankees fan my question is isn't Cano at $24 million better than Ellsbury at $21 million per year? cano is a better player and Ellsbury is often hurt. from the outside sure seems like they chose the wrong guy.
    edited December 2013
    pjhawks wrote:
    as a non-Yankees fan my question is isn't Cano at $24 million better than Ellsbury at $21 million per year? cano is a better player and Ellsbury is often hurt. from the outside sure seems like they chose the wrong guy.

Obviously not, but the Yankees aren't doing 10 year deals anymore. It wasn't one or the other. They weren't signing Cano to a 10 year contract regardless of Ellsbury.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    When will this sport stop paying for past performance?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Obviously not, but the Yankees aren't doing 10 year deals anymore. It wasn't one or the other. They weren't signing Cano to a 10 year contract regardless of Ellsbury.

I bet they would go 10 for Trout or Harper :corn:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I bet they would go 10 for Trout or Harper :corn:

Well yeah, but they are going to be 25/26 when they hit free agency
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I agree 10 year contracts are crazy but it's not like they went short on Ellsbury either. he got 7 with an option. 7 for Ellsbury is way too long as well. from the outside I think 10 of Cano is a lot better than 7 for Ellsbury. will be interesting to see where the Yanks go next.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Enrique Rojas/ESPN ‏@Enrique_Rojas1 3m
    #Mariners and Cano agree. $240 million/10 years. Physical next monday in Seattle

have fun in obscurity.

and thank you for chasing a paycheck and strengthen the argument that there is zero loyalty and being "homegrown" means jack shit.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    Granderson to the Mets
    I miss igotid88
    looks like the Yankees are going to be a hit and run team next year. Tex will be the only hr threat. At least until Alexcomes back
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    looks like the Yankees are going to be a hit and run team next year. Tex will be the only hr threat. At least until Alexcomes back

We'll be fine Sori and B Mac can bring the lumber both will have more than cano who will be lucky to hit 20 hr playing 80 games in that park.
  • Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Gosh this is has been a great offseason as a Red Sox fan.
    First the Yanks grossly overpay for Jacoby and now this.
    Good stuff.
  • pjhawks wrote:

Forget the avg. salary. Totally meaningless. It's about the total contract. $200 million and 10 years have never worked in a single contract. Yankess smart not to go there.

How does Felix Hernandez fell about his hometown discount now?
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    pjhawks wrote:

Forget the avg. salary. Totally meaningless. It's about the total contract. $200 million and 10 years have never worked in a single contract. Yankess smart not to go there.

A-Rod's first 10 year $250 million contract worked
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

A-Rod's first 10 year $250 million contract worked

Not really he opted out after 7 only one that you could say actually worked was DJ 10/189
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    rival. wrote:
    #Mariners and Cano agree. $240 million/10 years. Physical next monday in Seattle

have fun in obscurity.

and thank you for chasing a paycheck and strengthen the argument that there is zero loyalty and being "homegrown" means jack shit.

Dustin Pedroia signed both of his extensions for way below market value.
  • rival. wrote:

have fun in obscurity.

Dustin Pedroia signed both of his extensions for way below market value.

Thank you for adding some hope to this discussion gregkitefan!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Sooo, Arod getting off would be best case scenario at this point, huh?

Before not having him would free up salary for other people. Now I feel like they need his bat, whatever that is.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Before not having him would free up salary for other people. Now I feel like they need his bat, whatever that is.

Always was. The more I look at this, though is they knew the Cano think was happening and that resulted in the Ellsbury signing. It's not an exact trade off obviously, but I'm guessing while they wouldn't have minded Cano coming back at that point, they signed the Ellsbury contract assuming he wasn't.

As for A-Rod - Always helps to have another bat.
  • How's everyone doing over here?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Always was. The more I look at this, though is they knew the Cano think was happening and that resulted in the Ellsbury signing. It's not an exact trade off obviously, but I'm guessing while they wouldn't have minded Cano coming back at that point, they signed the Ellsbury contract assuming he wasn't.

As for A-Rod - Always helps to have another bat.

Yeah, I'd think they had a pretty good idea this was going to happen.
    How's everyone doing over here?

:lol:

This is what it takes to bring you out of the woodwork?

Not thrilled, to say the least. Screw the Mariners.
  • Yeah, I've been outta the game for a while. Complete coincidence Cliffy, I swear.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Hey cheer up, you got a new 30 year old CF for only $150 million!
    Yeah, I've been outta the game for a while. Complete coincidence Cliffy, I swear.

Yeah, yeah. Hope things are going well. In your hood almost weekly these days. Well, Weston at least. Logan is like my second home.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Great article. And if Cano is of any value he will not be a Marnier past year 4 because of all the reasons he stated about the current state of the team.