The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Sounds like the marlins are going real hard after Abreu.

Gerrit cole starting a game 5..ugh
  • According to industry sources, the Yankees are going to be serious players in the Masahiro Tanaka bidding battle next month, hoping to fill crater-sized holes in their rotation with a Japanese pitcher who wowed scouts this year.

A person familiar with the Yankees’ offseason strategy said Tanaka is a priority in the wake of Andy Pettitte retiring, the uncertain future of Hiroki Kuroda and the physical question marks smothering Michael Pineda and Manuel Banuelos.

Not only would landing Tanaka improve the rotation, it would appease a wary fan base.

“The Yankees have seen him a lot,’’ said a talent evaluator who watched the 24-year-old right-hander pitch late last month for Japan’s Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles. “Boston, Texas and the Dodgers will be there, too. This guy is very good.’’

The Yankees sent assistant general manager Billy Eppler and respected pro scout and former Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu to watch Tanaka pitch extensively this season.

General manager Brian Cashman refused comment Thursday when asked about the Yankees’ interest in Tanaka.
    Tanaka, who went 22-0 with a 1.23 ERA in the regular season for the Pacific League champions, isn’t eligible for free agency, so he has to go through the posting process that can’t begin before Nov. 1 — which is Tanaka’s 25th birthday. If the Japanese series goes seven games, it will end Nov. 3.

Based on several executives’ opinions, the posting price to the Golden Eagles will be in the $60 million range. If the team accepts the bid, the winning team has to sign Tanaka to a contract. If they can’t reach a deal, Tanaka goes back to the Golden Eagles.

A big plus for the Yankees, whose goal is stay under $189 million next season, is the posting fee doesn’t count toward a team’s payroll. However, the contract does, and it could be five years for $60 million.

What is Tanaka worth?

Based on one scout’s opinion, more than Yu Darvish, who cost the Rangers $111.7 million. The Rangers bid $60 million then signed Darvish to a six-year deal worth $51.7 million.

“He is better than Darvish because he is a strike thrower,’’ the scout said. “Overall, Darvish’s stuff might be a little bit better, but this guy knows how to pitch. He is like Kuroda, he has a lot of guts. He throws four pitches but when it gets to [stone]-cutting time, it’s fastball and splitter.’’

Late in games this year Tanaka’s fastball reached 95 mph, and he features an overhand curveball that is 20 mph slower than the fastball.

Some evaluators believe Tanaka could be the best pitcher ever to come from Japan.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/yankees-ex ... e-pitcher/

Hopefully 3rd times the charm
  • http://tier10.com/Mariano-Rivera/

This is pretty cool
  • Being Mariano a 90 min doc airs Sunday afternoon on Fox :corn:

http://youtu.be/XgLIX8-QbQY
  • NEW YORK -- While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' desire to cut the team's yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have them going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees will begin their organization meetings Monday where they will settle on a strategy that they believe can cut payroll to $189 million while spending big on free agents.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... rc=desktop

:mrgreen:
    NEW YORK -- While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' desire to cut the team's yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have them going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees will begin their organization meetings Monday where they will settle on a strategy that they believe can cut payroll to $189 million while spending big on free agents.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... rc=desktop

:mrgreen:

I likey...didn't sign your boy though. Big commitment
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,896
    NEW YORK -- While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' desire to cut the team's yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have them going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

it's good that they stay hateable :thumbup:

:x
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    Damn. The Yankees should have waited before re-signing Girardi. Looks like Mattingly might not be back in LA
    I miss igotid88
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I wants another precioussssss.

:cry:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Yankees just announced they've re-signed Jeter to a one-year deal for 12 million.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Yankees just announced they've re-signed Jeter to a one-year deal for 12 million.

Wasn't the option for 9 million? How are they saving to go under 189?
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 wrote:
    Yankees just announced they've re-signed Jeter to a one-year deal for 12 million.

Had Jeter triggered the option, it would have counted as the fourth year of a $60.5 million deal, meaning the Yankees would have been taxed based on the annual average value of the deal, which would have been $15.125 million.

Instead, the 39-year-old Jeter will earn more money next season than he would have under the option, yet the luxury tax hit will be less for the Yankees, who are trying to stay beneath the $189 million threshold.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z2jQrsJ8N8
    igotid88 wrote:

Had Jeter triggered the option, it would have counted as the fourth year of a $60.5 million deal, meaning the Yankees would have been taxed based on the annual average value of the deal, which would have been $15.125 million.

Instead, the 39-year-old Jeter will earn more money next season than he would have under the option, yet the luxury tax hit will be less for the Yankees, who are trying to stay beneath the $189 million threshold.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... z2jQrsJ8N8

I'm hearing that's not true
    I miss igotid88
  • Unless Clayton Kershaw signs a new contract with the Dodgers, he will become a free agent at the end of the 2014 season — something he admitted to being curious about Saturday.

"I think any player, that's the reward of baseball, to make it to that point," Kershaw said. "I think any player gets curious when you get close, for sure."

That doesn't mean Kershaw will ever test the open market. Co-owner Magic Johnson said last month that he was confident the Dodgers and Kershaw would come to an agreement on a multiyear deal this winter.

Asked if he was hopeful the situation could be resolved soon, Kershaw replied, "I really don't know what to expect. I'm just kind of open-minded going into the off-season. Whatever happens, I'll be coming back next year anyway. I'm just trying to prepare for that."

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/ar ... -78032592/

We can dream right :lol:
    Mariano named Comeback Player of the Year
    I miss igotid88
  • Is it opening day yet?
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • I think the Dodgers give him $300 million before he hits free agency. what is he, 25?
  • Granderson rejects qualfying offer. I thought it was a win/win to either get him back on a 1 year deal, and hope he had a strong walk year after last years clusterfuck, or get a compenation back if he signs elsewhere. If he does indeed move on, his power will be missed, but his 230 average and 220 K's shan't be hard to replace
  • Looks like the posting system change is done basically if they bid 70 million and the next team bids 50 million the fee would be 60 million and the winning bidder retains sole negotiating rights. If dodgers get involved yankees are probably going to need to bid 75+ to land tanaka.
  • David Freese, maybe says the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1515663
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Major League Baseball is withdrawing its proposal for a new bidding system with Japan, making it uncertain whether prized pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will be on the market this offseason.

MLB Chief Operating Officer Rob Manfred said Japanese officials had not acted quickly enough on MLB’s proposal for a new agreement and that a new proposal will be forwarded.

Manfred said MLB owners were concerned that bidding under the old system had raised prices to a level many clubs could not afford.

Tanaka, a 25-year-old right-hander, went a 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA during the regular season for the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League.

Without an agreement, Japanese players would not be able to sign with MLB until they had nine years of service time and could become free agents.

Fuck this would suck :fp:
    ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Major League Baseball is withdrawing its proposal for a new bidding system with Japan, making it uncertain whether prized pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will be on the market this offseason.

MLB Chief Operating Officer Rob Manfred said Japanese officials had not acted quickly enough on MLB’s proposal for a new agreement and that a new proposal will be forwarded.

Manfred said MLB owners were concerned that bidding under the old system had raised prices to a level many clubs could not afford.

Tanaka, a 25-year-old right-hander, went a 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA during the regular season for the Rakuten Golden Eagles of Japan’s Pacific League.

Without an agreement, Japanese players would not be able to sign with MLB until they had nine years of service time and could become free agents.

Any idea where this stands?

Sounds like they are talking to Cano this week. Going to be an interesting couple months coming up.
    David Freese, maybe says the Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1515663

No thanks.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Major League Baseball is withdrawing its proposal for a new bidding system with Japan, making it uncertain whether prized pitcher Masahiro Tanaka will be on the market this offseason.

Any idea where this stands?

Sounds like they are talking to Cano this week. Going to be an interesting couple months coming up.

Looks like no change to the system hopefully the posting will take place soon. I still think the yanks are going to get him but dodgers could easily bid 100mm so this is no sure thing.

In other news looks like JayZ is trying to get the mets in on cano :lol:

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1521605
  • NEW YORK -- General manager Sandy Alderson acknowledged meeting with Jay Z and his associates about free agent Robinson Cano on Monday night but portrayed the likelihood of the New York Mets signing the second baseman as virtually nil.

Marchand Jay Z and CAA appear desperate in their bid to get a record deal for Robinson Cano as the Yankees are standing strong, Andrew Marchand writes. Blog

"They requested a meeting," Alderson said Tuesday afternoon. "We had a nice dinner. They made a presentation. We talked generally. And that was it. As I said, we were approached."

Alderson, who was joined by Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon and assistant GM John Ricco at the dinner meeting, reiterated what he said last week at the GM meetings: The Mets already have one $100 million-plus contract with captain David Wright and are highly unlikely to add a second contract at that level -- much less a deal in the neighborhood Cano is seeking, which is reported to be $310 million.

"I had said last week that I didn't foresee contracts in the $100 million range for the Mets this offseason," Alderson said. "I think that statement still pertains. On the other hand, we are committed to improving the team. And we will explore whatever possibilities arise, however remote the eventual outcome."

Alderson said no contract terms were discussed during the meeting, which also included Jay Z associate Brodie Van Wagenen.

"It was a well-prepared presentation designed to sell us and presumably other teams on Cano's value," Alderson said. "We certainly have a high regard for Robinson Cano as a player. So in that sense, the presentation was a little bit overdone.

"But, again, it was a very preliminary meeting. They're having, or hope to have, preliminary meetings with a number of different teams."

Word of the meeting leaked to media shortly after it took place, presumably to try to create pressure on the New York Yankees to increase their bidding to retain Cano. The Yankees have been averse to bidding against themselves.

Alderson said he calculated the fact that the Mets could be used for such a purpose into whether to accept Jay Z's invitation. Ultimately, Alderson decided that meeting the agent would be worthwhile.

"It wasn't terribly surprising that the fact of the meeting became known within minutes of dessert," Alderson said. "Yeah, we factored that in. On the other hand, there are very few things that you can expect to be kept confidential.

"I think you have to go into these situations with the understanding that at some point they will become public. But at the same time, we felt it would be useful enough for us to meet Jay Z and Brodie, whether it's in connection with Robinson Cano or some future client that they may have. So I'm not surprised it became public. And that certainly factored into our decision to have the meeting, but didn't deter us."

Alderson said Jay Z was active in pitching his client, not deferring to his baseball-tested colleagues.

"He was actively engaged," Alderson said. "… PowerPoint. Books. Pamphlets." :lol:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... inson-cano

:lol: at Jay Z trying to use the Mets for leverage he must be smoking crack again, even funnier is him comparing Robbie to MJ. Yankees should just wait it out and lowball him in the end no ones even going to come close to giving him 150.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... -1.1521429
  • A-Rod storms out of hearing today. Not a fan of his at all and I 150% think it's his own damn fault for being in this situation in the first place. However, in the situation, I tend to agree with him and think its BS. Selig should have to at least make 1 appearance given the process.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • A-Rod storms out of hearing today. Not a fan of his at all and I 150% think it's his own damn fault for being in this situation in the first place. However, in the situation, I tend to agree with him and think its BS. Selig should have to at least make 1 appearance given the process.

Not surprising he won't testify under oath, that piece of shit is a bigger liar than Arod.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,896
    A-Rod storms out of hearing today. Not a fan of his at all and I 150% think it's his own damn fault for being in this situation in the first place. However, in the situation, I tend to agree with him and think its BS. Selig should have to at least make 1 appearance given the process.

Not surprising he won't testify under oath, that piece of shit is a bigger liar than Arod.

I'd say they're about equal on the liar and POS scale.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    imalive wrote:
    A-Rod storms out of hearing today. Not a fan of his at all and I 150% think it's his own damn fault for being in this situation in the first place. However, in the situation, I tend to agree with him and think its BS. Selig should have to at least make 1 appearance given the process.

I'd say they're about equal on the liar and POS scale.

...but not Bonds, though, right? ;)