The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    imalive wrote:
    youk????? :shock: :lol:
    :fp: Please tell me that's not true.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this thread is becoming more and more like what phillies thread has become over the last couple years :lol:

Arod for ryan howard deal would be forum gold!

:lol:
    I completely disagree. Yes, they got some value from the contract...but why is it necessary to land a player of his caliber by agreeing to pay him over $25,000,000 up until he's 42? Everybody cringed at that thought the day he signed that contract. What's wrong with offering a contract until he's 38-39 and renewing if he proves his worth? How many productive 42 year old third basemen are there?

Yeah, its the Yankees, and that (and their money) make it easier to digest, but this year they are going to struggle with that $189 mil cap. They bit off more than they could chew and its by far the worst contract in sports. But seriously, i'd love for his to prove us otherwise...The guy is off steroids and constantly hurt. Hit around .270 with a dozen or so homers the last few years, looked like shit in postseason and acted as if he didnt care. So, for the 2013 season (already injured), 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...its not a bad contract if the guy gets paid $25,000,000 to ride the pine and hit .250? its going to be ugly. His timing is fucked and he's older and off steroids. Done, put a fork in him and flush that last $100,000,000+ down the toilet. terrible contract.

i think you are missing my point ... everyone agrees that the contract sucks ... but this is the NY Yankees - they won't be missing a dime of it ... when they signed him - he had just come off a mvp year and they hadn't won a title since 2000 ... he would have gotten a horrible contract from some other team ... for the yankees - it's all about WS ... they got one in 2009 ... what's that worth in the grand scheme of things? ... and they've been in the post season every year since ...
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I still think the Yankees will never achieve the 189 cap...and if they do...that team is going to be the highest paid but ugly team in the history of MLB.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    I completely disagree. Yes, they got some value from the contract...but why is it necessary to land a player of his caliber by agreeing to pay him over $25,000,000 up until he's 42? Everybody cringed at that thought the day he signed that contract. What's wrong with offering a contract until he's 38-39 and renewing if he proves his worth? How many productive 42 year old third basemen are there?

Yeah, its the Yankees, and that (and their money) make it easier to digest, but this year they are going to struggle with that $189 mil cap. They bit off more than they could chew and its by far the worst contract in sports. But seriously, i'd love for his to prove us otherwise...The guy is off steroids and constantly hurt. Hit around .270 with a dozen or so homers the last few years, looked like shit in postseason and acted as if he didnt care. So, for the 2013 season (already injured), 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...its not a bad contract if the guy gets paid $25,000,000 to ride the pine and hit .250? its going to be ugly. His timing is fucked and he's older and off steroids. Done, put a fork in him and flush that last $100,000,000+ down the toilet. terrible contract.

i think you are missing my point ... everyone agrees that the contract sucks ... but this is the NY Yankees - they won't be missing a dime of it ... when they signed him - he had just come off a mvp year and they hadn't won a title since 2000 ... he would have gotten a horrible contract from some other team ... for the yankees - it's all about WS ... they got one in 2009 ... what's that worth in the grand scheme of things? ... and they've been in the post season every year since ...

No, I get your point. I kinda agree...And like I said, yes, they got a WS. was it worth $275,000,000 for 2-3 productive years and WS though? Some might think so, but I dont. And Postseason appearances are quickly forgotten -- and Arod is going to really hope they forget aboutt he last few postseasons.

I think you're missing my point actually, that clearly a better contract could've been reached, and if they made this same mistake on a few more players contracts, this would be a different discussion and the yankees would be in the cellar for 2012-2015...if its ok for them to eat so much money, why not just sign CC, Tex, and Cano until they're each 42 years old and not worry about it now? My point is that the absurdity has to stop somewhere and although the Yanks have a lot of dough to deal with, I'd bet they are not happy with the Arod situation/contract and will be quite embarrassed about the whole thing come 2017. You dont think they've reconsidered the way they've handled contracts recently? Its starting to show already. And Arod is only HALF way through his contract and things arent looking good for him.

By the way, here's an approximation:
    Arod 2012 -- .270 18 HR (pathetic post season) $25,000,000+
    Chavez 2012 -- .280 12 HR (in half the at bats as Arod) $900,000

Seriously, is anyone thinking that for the remainder (HALF) of the guys contract, he'll be anywhere worth $25 mil per year? If not, then we're just going to assume that Arods contract was paying him 50 million a year for the first few years and the rest is just a throw away.

Are there any other players in MLB that are signed until age 42 for anywhere near $25 mil?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Newch91 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I would just rather lose
    Newch91 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I would just rather lose

Ehh. For me it's how they perform as a Yankee I care about it. Boggs, Clemens, Damon, etc all did pretty well and became fan favorites.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DS1119 wrote:

I would just rather lose

Ehh. For me it's how they perform as a Yankee I care about it. Boggs, Clemens, Damon, etc all did pretty well and became fan favorites.[/quote]

I didn't hate those guys, so it wasn't hard, well the only thing i regretted was losing Boomer for Clemens but i understood it. Fuck Youk! Youk and A-rod on the same team,playing the same position, That'll be great for chemistry in the clubhouse. :fp:
    DS1119 wrote:

I would just rather lose

Ehh. For me it's how they perform as a Yankee I care about it. Boggs, Clemens, Damon, etc all did pretty well and became fan favorites.

I didn't hate those guys, so it wasn't hard, well the only thing i regretted was losing Boomer for Clemens but i understood it. Fuck Youk! Youk and A-rod on the same team,playing the same position, That'll be great for chemistry in the clubhouse. :fp:[/quote]

Hopefully that wont be a problem since I'm hoping AHip doesn't come back. :lol:
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    They want to get under $189 million because they don't want to pay revenue sharing.
    I miss igotid88
    I think you're missing my point actually, that clearly a better contract could've been reached, and if they made this same mistake on a few more players contracts, this would be a different discussion and the yankees would be in the cellar for 2012-2015...if its ok for them to eat so much money, why not just sign CC, Tex, and Cano until they're each 42 years old and not worry about it now? My point is that the absurdity has to stop somewhere and although the Yanks have a lot of dough to deal with, I'd bet they are not happy with the Arod situation/contract and will be quite embarrassed about the whole thing come 2017. You dont think they've reconsidered the way they've handled contracts recently? Its starting to show already. And Arod is only HALF way through his contract and things arent looking good for him.

no ... i think i get your point ... your looking at the numbers and yeah - the guy sucks now (no one is arguing that) ... but at the time he came off an mvp season and the reality is that he was gonna get a shitty for any team contract regardless ... it's no different that pujols contract ... there are a ton of them out there ... and it's why i have always said mlb has the least amount of parity of all the major sports ... it basically allows the yanks, red sox, etc ... to compete ... the reality for the jays was that without spending - it was always gonna be hard to compete in the al east ... so, the yankees will always overpay because they can ... there isn't a lot of options if they wanted to keep him as all you need is 2 or 3 other teams that are prepared to spend spend spend to drive up the market ... look at greinke ... he's likely gonna be one of the highest paid pitchers - does he really deserve to be?
  • polaris_x wrote:

no ... i think i get your point ... your looking at the numbers and yeah - the guy sucks now (no one is arguing that) ... but at the time he came off an mvp season and the reality is that he was gonna get a shitty for any team contract regardless ... it's no different that pujols contract ... there are a ton of them out there ... and it's why i have always said mlb has the least amount of parity of all the major sports ... it basically allows the yanks, red sox, etc ... to compete ... the reality for the jays was that without spending - it was always gonna be hard to compete in the al east ... so, the yankees will always overpay because they can ... there isn't a lot of options if they wanted to keep him as all you need is 2 or 3 other teams that are prepared to spend spend spend to drive up the market ... look at greinke ... he's likely gonna be one of the highest paid pitchers - does he really deserve to be?

True, and I forgot about Pujols..but at least he might still have something left to contribute in a few of his later years. Spending is just at an all time high and although it makes it tough for smaller market teams, the yankees have to to realize that huge contracts dont guarantee anything. Also, the yankees picked up Arod, then Tex and CC with big contracts all in a few years...trhey need to learn form these mistakes. My guess is that they will be good, but wont be a championship contender for several more years. Too much money tied up in crap like Arod, and they leave themselves out of the running for pitchers like Grienke.

As Cliffy said, we can blame Levine and Hank...I dont fault Arod at all for the conract...but I'd be willing to bet if they were in the position to get a high performance player like Hamilton or Cabrera or someone, they will be more cautious simply because they cant have more than one 42 year old taking up space on the bench and hogging all the girls by the dugout! ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

True, and I forgot about Pujols..but at least he might still have something left to contribute in a few of his later years. Spending is just at an all time high and although it makes it tough for smaller market teams, the yankees have to to realize that huge contracts dont guarantee anything. Also, the yankees picked up Arod, then Tex and CC with big contracts all in a few years...trhey need to learn form these mistakes. My guess is that they will be good, but wont be a championship contender for several more years. Too much money tied up in crap like Arod, and they leave themselves out of the running for pitchers like Grienke.

As Cliffy said, we can blame Levine and Hank...I dont fault Arod at all for the conract...but I'd be willing to bet if they were in the position to get a high performance player like Hamilton or Cabrera or someone, they will be more cautious simply because they cant have more than one 42 year old taking up space on the bench and hogging all the girls by the dugout! ;)

This is one of the reasons why I don't think the 189 will happen. Yankee fans crave being in every free agent negotiation. Give this about a month...the fans are already restless...if this goes into next season...look out. When people stop showing up to the park that may be an eye opener for management. And to those that think the fans won't show up to Yankee Stadium just look at some photos from the 80's and early 90's of the Stadium...and that's when seats were more than affordable...not like now where it's a $100 a head just for a lessthan average seat.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Newch91 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I can still remember cliffy's (I think) eloquent description of youk's batting stance from a few years back :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

crikey ... pujols contract is way worse ... dude's salary actually climbs the later it gets ... at least ARod's declines in the final years ... dude is gonna get $30 million when he is 41 ...

they are all absurd ... all i know is that as bad as the contracts seem ... the yankees have been in the post season every year in a tough division (except for 2008) ... ARod is part of that ... however small or big ...
    polaris_x wrote:

crikey ... pujols contract is way worse ... dude's salary actually climbs the later it gets ... at least ARod's declines in the final years ... dude is gonna get $30 million when he is 41 ...

they are all absurd ... all i know is that as bad as the contracts seem ... the yankees have been in the post season every year in a tough division (except for 2008) ... ARod is part of that ... however small or big ...

These teams would have had the same results since ACheater came on board with the Yankees. I honestly believe that. He has added absolutely zero to the team.
    DS1119 wrote:
    These teams would have had the same results since ACheater came on board with the Yankees. I honestly believe that. He has added absolutely zero to the team.

c'mon ... dude hit over 30 hrs with over 100 rbis from 2008-2010 ... how can you say he has added absolutely zero? ... and please ... i beg you guys ... i think he's a major douchebag and how i ended up defending him is making my stomach turn ... :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    i think he's a major douchebag and how i ended up defending him is making my stomach turn ... :lol:

I'm getting a little queasy, myself :sick:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

c'mon ... dude hit over 30 hrs with over 100 rbis from 2008-2010 ... how can you say he has added absolutely zero? ... and please ... i beg you guys ... i think he's a major douchebag and how i ended up defending him is making my stomach turn ... :lol:

How many other 3B hit 30 hr's and delivered 100 RBI (when it actually did happen for AHole) during that time and were paid 27 million a year? Also considering the other talent that surrounded him at that time period....he should have been carrying the team...not being carried which is a fact.
    anyway.....opening day.....who's gonna catch, be at third, SS and OF? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    imalive wrote:
    anyway.....opening day.....who's gonna catch, be at third, SS and OF? :?

Don't be silly. Why the fuck would we talk about that when we can talk about everything arod?

Fucking joke.
  • http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new- ... ngs-120412

Where the hell are the Yankees?

Not at the winter meetings. At least, not in any place where there is news other than a 37-year-old third baseman breaking down.

Oh, the Yankees will tell you they have their pitching in order after re-signing free agent Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera for a combined $37 million.

But that would be Kuroda, 37; Pettitte, 40; and Rivera, 43 — and Rivera is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee.

Meanwhile, the catchers are all backups. The right fielder is a player to be named. And the left side of the infield — shortstop Derek Jeter, 38, and third baseman Alex Rodriguez, 37 — is about to be condemned by the City of New York.

Ah, that’s unfair to Jeter, who is expected to return from surgery on his left ankle by Opening Day; Rodriguez, preparing for surgery on his left hip, will be out until at least May and possibly July.

Whatever, the Yankees are in the process of building a team that could prove not only unsuccessful but also unwatchable — a double whammy in an era in which regional television networks are the lifeblood of big-market teams.

Frankly, I’m waiting for some right-minded Yankees executive to stand up and shout, “HELLO? IS ANYBODY HOME? WHY ISN’T JOSH HAMILTON ALREADY IN PINSTRIPES?”

If there isn’t debate in the front office over the Yankees’ self-imposed austerity kick, there darned well should be.

The late George Steinbrenner would spend his offseasons money-whipping the rest of baseball, then blather on about Yankee pride, Yankee tradition and Yankee excellence.

Steinbrenner’s son Hal, on the other hand, seems intent only on getting the Yankees under the $189 million luxury-tax threshold by 2014 and realizing a series of significant financial benefits under the new labor agreement.

Never mind that the Yankees, after winning 95 games in the regular season, were swept by the Detroit Tigers in the American League Championship Series.

Never mind that the Toronto Blue Jays made a blockbuster trade last month, or that the Boston Red Sox are also acting “uber-aggressive” in the words of one rival executive.

Someone print up new T-shirts: “$189M or bust!” — and sell them for $65 as official Yankees merchandise.

It’s not as if the Yankees are experiencing financial difficulty — they recently sold 49 percent of the YES Network to News Corp., the owners of FOX, for $500 million. After three years, News Corp. may acquire an additional stake that would raise its ownership to 80 percent.

But these days, the Los Angeles Dodgers are the Yankees, and the Yankees are the Bronx Bombers turned Coupon Clippers.

Yes, the Yankees still will field one of baseball’s largest payrolls next season, if not the largest. But that’s mostly due to past mistakes, not intelligent new spending.

Meanwhile, the low-revenue, pawn-every-player Cleveland Indians offered $44 million to free-agent outfielder Shane Victorino, only to lose him to the Red Sox.

And, lest anyone forget, the Pittsburgh Pirates recently outbid the Yankees for catcher Russell Martin in baseball’s ultimate man-bites-dog story.

The Yankees, though, just keep picking through scraps.

Pondering role players such as infielder Jeff Keppinger and outfielder Scott Hairston — but only if they’re affordable.

Mulling the returns of 30-something veterans such as third baseman Eric Chavez and outfielders Raul Ibanez and Ichiro Suzuki — players who would be valuable one-year cogs in the team’s $189 million crusade.

Agents are dumbfounded. Players are dumbfounded. Rival executives are dumbfounded.

Barring a sudden reversal, the Yankees seem intent on bringing back the same club they had last season — a lesser club, actually.

Who, pray tell, is going to watch?

Maybe this is all misdirection, with the Yankees masking their true intentions as part of a larger negotiating strategy. The Yankees of old — say, two years ago — would routinely pull stunts like that, claiming to be out on a player, then signing him the next day.

Those Yankees made no apologies for their financial muscle, but you had to admire them — they were rascals.

These Yankees? They’re accountants.

And they’re putting all of us to sleep.

Maybe mistakes/contracts like Arod's are why the Yankees are not presently pursuing anything that will make a difference? Its still early though..
    Hopefully AHip retires. Please please please.
  • Eric Chavez to the Diamondbacks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Keppinger to the White Sox.

Only a matter of time now.
    DS1119 wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I don't think the 189 will happen. Yankee fans crave being in every free agent negotiation. Give this about a month...the fans are already restless...if this goes into next season...look out. When people stop showing up to the park that may be an eye opener for management. And to those that think the fans won't show up to Yankee Stadium just look at some photos from the 80's and early 90's of the Stadium...and that's when seats were more than affordable...not like now where it's a $100 a head just for a lessthan average seat.

Sweeny Murti is basically talking about my point right now on Francesa. Makes me feel smart.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    omg the indians almost got victorino? *drool*

G Steinbrenner didnt care about maximizing profits to be afraid to swing and miss. Kevin Brown, Giambi, R. Johnson, Irabu, etc. He also hit it big sometimes, but those times were often middle-type players who were good in support of the mid-late 90s nucleus.

This guy seems like he kind of wants to maximize profits. Honestly though, not one ounce of me feels bad for Yankee fans. Not trolling, you guys have had it pretty damn good for like 100 years. $189 Million can still put a pretty good ballclub on the field
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    MayDay10 wrote:
    omg the indians almost got victorino? *drool*

G Steinbrenner didnt care about maximizing profits to be afraid to swing and miss. Kevin Brown, Giambi, R. Johnson, Irabu, etc. He also hit it big sometimes, but those times were often middle-type players who were good in support of the mid-late 90s nucleus.

This guy seems like he kind of wants to maximize profits. Honestly though, not one ounce of me feels bad for Yankee fans. Not trolling, you guys have had it pretty damn good for like 100 years. $189 Million can still put a pretty good ballclub on the field

last i read, they wanted to avoid penalties
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    well penalties cut into profits.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Keppinger to the White Sox.

Only a matter of time now.

until? :? :?