The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Leyritz was traded for a guy who never made it to the major leagues. How is that not a win?

Mondesi was traded for a guy who ended up with a whole 2.2 big league innings. How is that not a win?

Sierra was better than Thames at that point but that one is debatable.

With Mondesi if you count taking on a huge salary who didn't really do anything hile with the Yankees or after as a win...ok. Leyritz was a bit part in his second tenure with the team and really didn't do anything either. And Sierra was a fourth outfielder in his second swing through town with another big contract. I really don't consider those wins to be honest. Some necessary moves maybe throughout a season to fill holes but nothing earth shattering. What I am looking through now is some of the talent the Yankees have let go in the Cashman tenure and the players they took on. :o

I hear you. I liked Mondesi more than most. I saw him absolutely gun someone at third going first to third in person. It was awesome. Fair points, but I would make those trades to fill the holes they needed any day of the week.
    On a side note, I am trying not to get too worked up, but the Steinbrenners are really pissing me off from everything I have read.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    On a side note, I am trying not to get too worked up, but the Steinbrenners are really pissing me off from everything I have read.

I was reading the Indians might make Youk a multi-year offer and he would be reunited w/ Francona, so lets hope that's true. Not that the Fucker couldnt help us.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was reading the Indians might make Youk a multi-year offer and he would be reunited w/ Francona, so lets hope that's true. Not that the Fucker couldnt help us.
    god i hope this is true. I wont watch the yankees this year if he's on the team.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

god i hope this is true. I wont watch the yankees this year if he's on the team.

sure you will....after his first HR, you'll go buy a youk bobblehead ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:

Are they on sale yet? :lol:
    If the report is true, maybe they aren't so cheap. Another soriano situation? I wish they would let cashman do his job but if the reports for years and dollars are true so far, no reason not to get involved. Stay tuned
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    imalive wrote:

:nono: :nono:

I could easily follow the nationals this season and come back to the yankees after that douche is gone.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If the report is true, maybe they aren't so cheap. Another soriano situation? I wish they would let cashman do his job but if the reports for years and dollars are true so far, no reason not to get involved. Stay tuned

Is this what you're referring to?

Yankees Checking In On Josh Hamilton

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 7 at 7:41am CST]

The Winter Meetings are over and the top free agent position player remains unsigned. Josh Hamilton has drawn serious interest from the Mariners and Rangers, and the Red Sox continue checking in on the outfielder. As it turns out, there's at least one other American League team interested...
    •A rival general manager says Yankees people other than GM Brian Cashman are quietly running a background check on Hamilton, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter). Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio recently suggested the Yankees should be viewed as a potential destination for Hamilton. However, the team aims to lower payroll below $189MM by 2014, so some creativity would be required to add a premium player such as Hamilton.
    •Joel Sherman of the New York Post "will only believe the Yankees are truly out" on Hamilton when he's at a press conference wearing another team's jersey. While GM Brian Cashman has discussed the importance of remaining patient, Sherman senses that the Yankees are "incredibly touchy" to recent criticism and could pursue the slugging outfielder.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The Winter Meetings are over and the top free agent position player remains unsigned. Josh Hamilton has drawn serious interest from the Mariners and Rangers, and the Red Sox continue checking in on the outfielder. As it turns out, there's at least one other American League team interested...
    •A rival general manager says Yankees people other than GM Brian Cashman are quietly running a background check on Hamilton, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (on Twitter). Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio recently suggested the Yankees should be viewed as a potential destination for Hamilton. However, the team aims to lower payroll below $189MM by 2014, so some creativity would be required to add a premium player such as Hamilton.
    •Joel Sherman of the New York Post "will only believe the Yankees are truly out" on Hamilton when he's at a press conference wearing another team's jersey. While GM Brian Cashman has discussed the importance of remaining patient, Sherman senses that the Yankees are "incredibly touchy" to recent criticism and could pursue the slugging outfielder.

Yes. I mean, I wish they would let Cashman do his job, but I like that there are signs of life. I am sure the chances this happens are still very slim and I am scared as hell as to what ownership/Levine might give him, but with where the market seems to be at, no reason to not hop in.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yes. I mean, I wish they would let Cashman do his job, but I like that there are signs of life. I am sure the chances this happens are still very slim and I am scared as hell as to what ownership/Levine might give him, but with where the market seems to be at, no reason to not hop in.

I just knew the outside pressure of the fans would force the team to act or at the very least make it look like they're trying to act..
    DS1119 wrote:

I just knew the outside pressure of the fans would force the team to act or at the very least make it look like they're trying to act..

Yeah, I hear you. Could be an interesting day/weekend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

It's awesome. Not to sure about Hamilton but when he's on he's a monster...it's just if he can be on is the question.

I'd at least like to see Youk in the mix. I really can't imagine this team going into next season with Nunez at third base. The defense of that side of the field even with Jeter back has the potential to be just brutal. :fp:
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would be shocked if the yanks didn't have at least 1 or 2 major FA signings this offseason ... maybe 1 if everyone else in the AL East stood pat ... but knowing what the jays did and that the red sox are surely after the same people ... the yanks could be on the verge of missing the post season since forever ...
    DS1119 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

youkilis.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    imalive wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

youkilis.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

It's awesome. Not to sure about Hamilton but when he's on he's a monster...it's just if he can be on is the question.

I'd at least like to see Youk in the mix. I really can't imagine this team going into next season with Nunez at third base. The defense of that side of the field even with Jeter back has the potential to be just brutal. :fp:

I want absolutely nothing to do with Youkilis. There are three players on Boston that I could never get over them being on the Yankees and they are Beckett, Papelbon, and Youk. Probably Pedroia as well. Just can't do it. I would be really frustrated if the Yanks signed him. Irrational? Maybe, but I don't really give a shit. Hell, I breifly wrote for a site that was dedicated to hating him.

Hamilton is definitely interesting. I have said all along I want nothing to do with him at big dollars but the market isn't really big dollars just yet. Don't get me wrong, he is going to get paid a lot annually but if they can keep it to 4 years, gotta go for it. I do wonder if they are possibly looking at this as a Granderson or Hamilton situation. Maybe they see Hamilton as a better option than Granderson for the next few years until Williams is ready. Maybe they trade Granderson if they sign Hamilton.

I will say, an outfield with Granderson and Hamilton in it. Your head would explode. Thats 80+ home runs right there. :lol:
    polaris_x wrote:
    i would be shocked if the yanks didn't have at least 1 or 2 major FA signings this offseason ... maybe 1 if everyone else in the AL East stood pat ... but knowing what the jays did and that the red sox are surely after the same people ... the yanks could be on the verge of missing the post season since forever ...

Well, since 2008. We shall see.
    I don't think Granderson is with the Yankees next year. Just a feeling I have and to be honest I won't miss him.
    DS1119 wrote:
    I don't think Granderson is with the Yankees next year. Just a feeling I have and to be honest I won't miss him.

That would mean they sign or trade for someone good, I would think. Already down almost 50 home runs not including Arod, can't add another 40 to that without replacing them. As much as you don't like the home run, that is a lot of power to lose.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

That would mean they sign or trade for someone good, I would think. Already down almost 50 home runs not including Arod, can't add another 40 to that without replacing them. As much as you don't like the home run, that is a lot of power to lose.

I never said I don't like the homerun...I don't like depending on it to win. And yes if he's traded they would need to replace him.

I would be satisfied with a trade of Granderson and bringing Hamilton and Youk on board. I'd be happy with that. Youk provides that backup at first as well. God if Tex ever went down with an injury... :fp:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I never said I don't like the homerun...I don't like depending on it to win. And yes if he's traded they would need to replace him.

I would be satisfied with a trade of Granderson and bringing Hamilton and Youk on board. I'd be happy with that. Youk provides that backup at first as well. God if Tex ever went down with an injury... :fp:

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUK :twisted:

But yeah, I hear you.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I want absolutely nothing to do with Youkilis. There are three players on Boston that I could never get over them being on the Yankees and they are Beckett, Papelbon, and Youk. Probably Pedroia as well. Just can't do it. I would be really frustrated if the Yanks signed him. Irrational? Maybe, but I don't really give a shit. Hell, I breifly wrote for a site that was dedicated to hating him.

not irrational....it would've been like the giants signing garvey, back in the day.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

not irrational....it would've been like the giants signing garvey, back in the day.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NrPOMBKnw
    Youk is a done deal with the Yanks. Enjoy the weekend cliffy. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

they're not booing....they're saying "YOOOOOOOOOOOK!" :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    DS1119 wrote:

You fucking with me? Where you seeing this? I dont see it.

Alright so this is you just saying it's going to happen? I just literally scanned every baseball site and twitter account.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Alright so this is you just saying it's going to happen? I just literally scanned every baseball site and twitter account.

I just wanted to de-sensitize you a little if/when it happens. :lol: :wave:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I just wanted to de-sensitize you a little if/when it happens. :lol: :wave:

:lol:

Yeah, so I now have confirmation that I am not going to like it if/when it happens. My heart skipped a beat, I think. :lol:

PICK THE INDIANS
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, so I now have confirmation that I am not going to like it if/when it happens. My heart skipped a beat, I think. :lol:

PICK THE INDIANS