The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    [

Its is a bit much sometimes...but at the same time, I wonder if we'd dish out so much criticism if we didnt know how much his contract was worth. Is it really necessary to make their contracts public record? I never criticize players for taking big contracts -- shit, if its offered, why not take it? But it just seems this one instance, the contract is just flabbergasting...and the subsequent lack of production and injuries can be frustrating no matter who you are.

And im not trying to be a dick or get a rise by saying this, but I equate Arods contract to how much Nickelback earns. I just dont get it. I dont know why someone would pay for it. Its gets old really fast, and you dont get much for your money in the long run. I think contracts like Arods are a big problem with baseball in the last 5+ years. it just makes it hard to feel any compassion for them.

And this is a fine question we can talk about. My problem is with post after post knowing full well it doesn't do anything. The ones that just call him names and tell him to go away. I mean, that's what 12 year olds do.

Yeah, the contract sucks. There's no question. The baseball people in the Yankees had little to do with it and it was a terrible decision. They were obviously banking on him breaking the record, not gonna happen. I dig analyzing contacts because I love the business side of baseball, but it's not my money (aside from my pacakge), so I don't really give a shit how much they get paid. The money is there. These guys are entertainers. If they don't get the money, the Steinbrenners will. I guess the point is, yeah, the contract sucks, but I'm not going to hate on the guy for getting paid a lot of money by people with even more money. At the end of the day, someone has to make it and yeah, his performance doesn't live up to it, but everyone knew that before the ink was dry.

Does Arods contract have a negative impact on the Yankees? Most definitely to a degree, but they have been planning for this scenario for a long time. They knew this was going to happen, it's just happening a good two years too early. If you have a problem with how much they are getting paid, the only solution is really to not watch it or give them any money.

Who says have compassion for baseball players? Fuckers are getting paid millions to play a game. My problem is just with post after post of the same bullshit.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, the contract sucks. There's no question. The baseball people in the Yankees had little to do with it and it was a terrible decision. They were obviously banking on him breaking the record, not gonna happen. I dig analyzing contacts because I love the business side of baseball, but it's not my money (aside from my pacakge), so I don't really give a shit how much they get paid. The money is there. These guys are entertainers. If they don't get the money, the Steinbrenners will. I guess the point is, yeah, the contract sucks, but I'm not going to hate on the guy for getting paid a lot of money by people with even more money. At the end of the day, someone has to make it and yeah, his performance doesn't live up to it, but everyone knew that before the ink was dry.

I see what you're saying Cliffy, I agree with a lot of it. And yeah, maybe it could be more productive if we talk about the contract. I also have some disdain because I remember the day that the contract was announced. I was excited for the Yankees to have a premier player, but it was an instant red flag. How can the people in the Yankees organization have allowed this? Was it the only way to lock the guy in, to give him obscene amounts of money as a 42 year old? Were they just assuming the last few years they'd be throwing out 50 million just as the rest of us noticed?

How many productive 42 year-olds have there been as everyday players?
    Its almost as if Arod is in on some big joke.

Also, what are the stipulations in his contract if he's hurt so much? Anything? I assume he gets paid no matter what. And if he sits the bench for half the year and comes back and hits .239, should he retire?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I see what you're saying Cliffy, I agree with a lot of it. And yeah, maybe it could be more productive if we talk about the contract. I also have some disdain because I remember the day that the contract was announced. I was excited for the Yankees to have a premier player, but it was an instant red flag. How can the people in the Yankees organization have allowed this? Was it the only way to lock the guy in, to give him obscene amounts of money as a 42 year old? Were they just assuming the last few years they'd be throwing out 50 million just as the rest of us noticed?

Also, what are the stipulations in his contract if he's hurt so much? Anything? I assume he gets paid no matter what. And if he sits the bench for half the year and comes back and hits .239, should he retire?

Like I said, I think they were banking on making a boat load of money in the home run chase. Remember the contract was before the steroids relevation so that would have been a big deal. A Yankee, possibly thought to be clean breaking the home run record and giving the title back to the Yankees. That would have been a huge story and would have made them a shit load of money. If he wasn't as productive in the last couple years they could live with that because of the chase and the money coming in.

The dude was a monster in 2007. They were hoping for that guy for longer than 2 years. Didn't happen. Hopefully he can get his hip fixed and be a productive DH. They say he will have no limitations moving foward but we'll see.

Yeah, of course. Baseball players wouldn't have any health stipulations in the contract aside from vesting options. It was a band contract. He's not going to retire or get paid one penny less than what is promised in that contract. It's funny that the hatred is always towards Arod with the contract and not Levine or Hank. It's their fault.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Like I said, I think they were banking on making a boat load of money in the home run chase. Remember the contract was before the steroids relevation so that would have been a big deal. A Yankee, possibly thought to be clean breaking the home run record and giving the title back to the Yankees. That would have been a huge story and would have made them a shit load of money. If he wasn't as productive in the last couple years they could live with that because of the chase and the money coming in.

The dude was a monster in 2007. They were hoping for that guy for longer than 2 years. Didn't happen. Hopefully he can get his hip fixed and be a productive DH. They say he will have no limitations moving foward but we'll see.

Yeah, of course. Baseball players wouldn't have any health stipulations in the contract aside from vesting options. It was a band contract. He's not going to retire or get paid one penny less than what is promised in that contract. It's funny that the hatred is always towards Arod with the contract and not Levine or Hank. It's their fault.

Ahh, I see. I guess I just assumed that once Barry bonds broke the all time HR record that a second person breaking (presumably Arod) it shortly after was kinda like the excitement when Bonds broke the single season record...kinda uneventful. Maybe its time they give up on stupid record feats and get someone who can hit in the post season...aka, someone clutch.

And whats even scarier, is how the discussions surrounding Arod will be going into his final year if he plays it out. I cant even speculate the disappointment level. In fact, (again not trying to be a dick), I think he's done. I dont think he'll ever hit over .260 again, and I dont think he'll ever hit homers regularly. flush that money down the toilet. I'd like to see him prove me wrong though.

I dont know much about Levine and Hanks place in the contract, but I think they'll be hiding under a rock in the coming years...how embarrassing.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Honestly dude, why do you feel the need to be so god damn annoying about this shit? Are you just trolling?

Fuck, we know you don't like arod. Repeating it over and over does nothing but annoy people. WE FUCKING GET IT. No one is arguing with you about him anymore and you aren't going to convince me or anyone else here who likes him to not.

Fucking give it up. It's brutal. If you are just trying to get a rise out of people, congrats. Fucking a.

It's actually kind of weird how much you seem to think about the guy. :think:

Here, if you want it said again....

DS does not like Arod and does not want him on the Yankees.

That sum it up? Good. Can we end this nonsense now?

I wouldn't piss down AChoke's throat if his soul was on fire.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Honestly dude, why do you feel the need to be so god damn annoying about this shit? Are you just trolling?

Fuck, we know you don't like arod. Repeating it over and over does nothing but annoy people. WE FUCKING GET IT. No one is arguing with you about him anymore and you aren't going to convince me or anyone else here who likes him to not.

Fucking give it up. It's brutal. If you are just trying to get a rise out of people, congrats. Fucking a.

:shock:

scared me off :lol:

honestly, I just think it's a fascinating story right now......plus, this board is dead.

And that's fine, it is interesting and is an important thing to talk about but over and over and over and over and over and over for months on end gets really fucking old. If that's what the Yankees thread is now, then fine, just tell me and I can have baseball conversations some place else.

He adds nothing, adds no conversation about what they should do to replace him at third...just nonsense. Edit: Well an occasional suggestion.

If he wants to take a jab to be funny here and there, fine, that's cool. I can live with that. You don't have to like the guy, but dominating a fucking thread for months on end with nonsensical bullshit about Arod is just annoying.

It's like the Philly guys and the Howard talk.

Last time I checked this is a Yankee thread right?
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good, glad to see you realized you were 12 and not pushing 40.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Good, glad to see you realized you were 12 and not pushing 40.

:lol:
    You are always one with the insults. Kind of funny how you always do that buy I'm the immature one.

Btw if ASlob was on my porch cold and hungry...he would starve and freeze.
    If you are insulted by someone telling you that you are acting like a child, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck, I guess.
  • in all honesty DS, it does get a bit old. I mean criticize the guy all you want for his field performance (lack thereof), but we don't know the guy as a person. talk about pissing on him, starving, freezing?? Come on man. Cliffys got a point, it says nothing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    If you are insulted by someone telling you that you are acting like a child, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck, I guess.

This coming from the guy that complains the stadium has lost its persona because he's not allowed to stand on the seats and yell at players...but then again in the immature one.

AHip please retire.
    in all honesty DS, it does get a bit old. I mean criticize the guy all you want for his field performance (lack thereof), but we don't know the guy as a person. talk about pissing on him, starving, freezing?? Come on man. Cliffys got a point, it says nothing.

You have read the papers and seen the photos correct? He's taking this team for a ride and laughing all the way to the bank. Why is it when he doesn't perform it's always because he has a booboo. It's never his fault. There's always a reason. Who is it it took him two and a half months for surgery? It's so he could have an off season. People can spin this whole strengthen his hip crap all they want. He's selfish.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I really don't see how anyone can say ARod's contract is poor!?

I mean this is the NY fucking Yankees ... they can pay whatever the heck they want ... they got a WS championship out him ... dude's been like hammering the stat sheets since becoming a yankee ... who cares that he's a douche!? ... so what if he's sucked the last few seasons!? ... it's only money and in terms of mlb and the yankees ... they got lots ...

if the royals signed arod to a contract like that - it would definitely be bad ... but for the yankees - there really aren't really bad contracts ... especially considering they've been in the post season nearly every year he's been on the team and he's given them a couple of mvp's and a ws championship ...
    polaris_x wrote:

I mean this is the NY fucking Yankees ... they can pay whatever the heck they want ... they got a WS championship out him ... dude's been like hammering the stat sheets since becoming a yankee ... who cares that he's a douche!? ... so what if he's sucked the last few seasons!? ... it's only money and in terms of mlb and the yankees ... they got lots ...

if the royals signed arod to a contract like that - it would definitely be bad ... but for the yankees - there really aren't really bad contracts ... especially considering they've been in the post season nearly every year he's been on the team and he's given them a couple of mvp's and a ws championship ...

Hammering the stat sheets? :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

dude's been with the yanks since 2004 ...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    polaris_x wrote:

Aren't you a Blue Jays fan?
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I realize that. And his production has gone down yearly to the point if he didn't have such a big contract the Yankees would have sent his ass packing years ago.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

This coming from the guy that complains the stadium has lost its persona because he's not allowed to stand on the seats and yell at players...but then again in the immature one.

AHip please retire.

You want a baseball game to feel like a cricket match? 99% of what I yell at baseball games is all in good fun.

ya!? ... and?

don't get me wrong ... i would hate to have this guy on my team ... probably the biggest douchebag player there is ... but objectively speaking ... the yanks can overpay ... so ... i don't see it as a bad contract ...
    polaris_x wrote:

This is pretty much what I was getting at. Yes, it is technically a bad contract, but the Yankees still have more money than any other team by probably 4 or 5 times. They can deal with it.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    polaris_x wrote:

ya!? ... and?

don't get me wrong ... i would hate to have this guy on my team ... probably the biggest douchebag player there is ... but objectively speaking ... the yanks can overpay ... so ... i don't see it as a bad contract ...

:lol: and Nothing! just establishing the facts. BTW Polaris 500 more post and you are part of the exclusive 10,000 Club!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

AHip please retire.

You want a baseball game to feel like a cricket match? 99% of what I yell at baseball games is all in good fun.

Kind of like here I guess. But on the other hand I guess this is a serious place..not fun. A place for serious baseball discussions. Save acting immature for when Simeon is in public.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Kind of like here I guess. But on the other hand I guess this is a serious place..not fun. A place for serious baseball discussions. Save acting immature for when Simeon is in public.

Come on man. Big difference between having some fun and taking over a thread with arod bullshit at the drop of a hat for the last 2 months. How many posts have you had telling him to go away? We know you don't like him and want him gone. And he is not reading it, so it's doing nothing to further your cause. Post after post just isn't necessary or at all amusing. All I am saying.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    this thread is becoming more and more like what phillies thread has become over the last couple years :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Do we have to fight every day about A-Rod? We all know DS doesn't like A-Rod. This bickering gets old and has gotten old very fast. I don't like Girardi but I don't go posting about it every day. A-Rod's last great season was 2009 and he was a big part of why they won the World Series that year (plus he was dating Kate Hudson, which I think also helped the team win :P ). He's won 2 MVPs since he joined the team, a World Series, an All-Star every year except 2 years. Yes he has done stupid stuff, but if a lesser-known player did the same stupid stuff he's done, would they get the media attention and scrutiny that A-Rod gets? He plays in New York and like I said earlier, he will be criticized for stuff and he has. He did first deny that he did steroids, but when his name leaked that he did, he approached the situation like a man and admitted that he did (at least he didn't go the Clemens route). He manned up and took responsibility for it.

I come to this thread to talk about the greatest sports franchise on the face of the Earth and have fun talking about the team and games, not to argue about it. Is this what has become of the Yankees and their fans?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    DS1119 wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I realize that. And his production has gone down yearly to the point if he didn't have such a big contract the Yankees would have sent his ass packing years ago.

Didn't the Yankees have that chance already? (when he opt-out of his contract).

The Yankees are the one's who gave him that BIG contract.
    cutz wrote:

Didn't the Yankees have that chance already? (when he opt-out of his contract).

The Yankees are the one's who gave him that BIG contract.

They did and it was easily the biggest mistake in franchise history slightly ahead of tearing the old Stadium down. AChump managed to pull the wool over some eyes to get that big new contract. I fear who they bring in to replace him while he's "rehabbing" his hip since that player's production will in all likelihood be far superior to anything AChump has to offer and will just create a controversy when he comes back...if he comes back....please don't come back.
  • polaris_x wrote:

I completely disagree. Yes, they got some value from the contract...but why is it necessary to land a player of his caliber by agreeing to pay him over $25,000,000 up until he's 42? Everybody cringed at that thought the day he signed that contract. What's wrong with offering a contract until he's 38-39 and renewing if he proves his worth? How many productive 42 year old third basemen are there?

Yeah, its the Yankees, and that (and their money) make it easier to digest, but this year they are going to struggle with that $189 mil cap. They bit off more than they could chew and its by far the worst contract in sports. But seriously, i'd love for his to prove us otherwise...The guy is off steroids and constantly hurt. Hit around .270 with a dozen or so homers the last few years, looked like shit in postseason and acted as if he didnt care. So, for the 2013 season (already injured), 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017...its not a bad contract if the guy gets paid $25,000,000 to ride the pine and hit .250? its going to be ugly. His timing is fucked and he's older and off steroids. Done, put a fork in him and flush that last $100,000,000+ down the toilet. terrible contract.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    polaris_x wrote:
    but objectively speaking ... the yanks can overpay ... so ... i don't see it as a bad contract ...

I know what you mean, x, but it's still bad if it's taking up a spot on the bench and counting toward the cap.

if, if, if the yankees were to buy a-rod out, would that count towards the cap?

you're right, the yankees can afford to pay an average 3B/DH $28M/yr but that doesn't mean they want to. even rich guys don't like flushing $114M

so.......the yankees.....I just see them as getting another year older at every position. Who's gonna catch? is raul coming back? what's the outfield look like? they won 95 games last year.....they won't suck, but I don't see them as elite. we shall see.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16