The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    imalive wrote:
    here's my completely unsolicited :lol: take on what's wrong with the yankees....

the stadium....I've never been there but it looks like you bought a bill of goods for $1.5B....maybe it's got steakhouses and strip clubs but on TV it's an unappealing, symmetrical, blue blob. you NEVER hear of it in a "best ballpark" rating. I know it was built 10 years earlier, but the Giants did their park for $320M. is "the stadium" :roll: really 4-5 times nicer? don't think so. just about every other new stadium has standing room...yankee stadium? poofy seats. every other new stadium has an interesting quirkiness (only the marlins are gimmicky). yankee stadium appears to have NO charm. bottom line...it's a corporate environment for a very corporate product. I do give you props for not jumping on the rally rag, thunderstick bandwagon but you gotta do something to breathe some life into that place. fuck, import some oakland fans :lol:

the team....it's all been said before. mercenaries. you have three homegrowners of any consequence. every other starter is there for a paycheck. if any of these guys have any personality, I've never seen it. the appearance code is ridiculous....you play in the most diverse place on earth and your players look like bumfuck, iowa. there seems to be no fan-player connection because these guys are mostly overpaid robots. my giants have had a few overpaid and/or under producing guys in the past few years but we liked them because they cared (zito), hustled (rowand) or at least tried (huff). on top of that, they were allowed to show some personality. are the yanks the only big spenders? no...but I think the sox have seen the light and their next team will be much more appealing to the fans, win or lose. the phillies spent a boatload too but a lot of that was on homegrown guys. the angels? fuck them, too :lol:

you're stuck with a-fraud and tex. jeter, too, to an extent. IMHO, the yankees would be better better off in eating as much bad payroll as they can and essentially starting over. it's not gonna get any better with THIS bunch.

I think a lot of the cost for the new Stadium in all fairness was it's location. It's not easy getting to thatlocation with big machinery, big materials, etc. all while keeping the other stadium fully operatinal right next door. Factor in all of the unions, New York CIty wheels to be greased, etc. it was expensie.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,914
    DS1119 wrote:

I think a lot of the cost for the new Stadium in all fairness was it's location. It's not easy getting to thatlocation with big machinery, big materials, etc. all while keeping the other stadium fully operatinal right next door. Factor in all of the unions, New York CIty wheels to be greased, etc. it was expensie.

I thought of that....but SF is a huge union town, land is mega expensive, there was a big money environmental cleanup involved and the stadium itself was more of a building challenge.

then again, the giants paid for their stadium while yours had tax dollars involved :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    imalive wrote:
    here's my completely unsolicited :lol: take on what's wrong with the yankees....

the stadium....I've never been there but it looks like you bought a bill of goods for $1.5B....maybe it's got steakhouses and strip clubs but on TV it's an unappealing, symmetrical, blue blob. you NEVER hear of it in a "best ballpark" rating. I know it was built 10 years earlier, but the Giants did their park for $320M. is "the stadium" :roll: really 4-5 times nicer? don't think so. just about every other new stadium has standing room...yankee stadium? poofy seats. every other new stadium has an interesting quirkiness (only the marlins are gimmicky). yankee stadium appears to have NO charm. bottom line...it's a corporate environment for a very corporate product. I do give you props for not jumping on the rally rag, thunderstick bandwagon but you gotta do something to breathe some life into that place. fuck, import some oakland fans :lol:

the team....it's all been said before. mercenaries. you have three homegrowners of any consequence. every other starter is there for a paycheck. if any of these guys have any personality, I've never seen it. the appearance code is ridiculous....you play in the most diverse place on earth and your players look like bumfuck, iowa. there seems to be no fan-player connection because these guys are mostly overpaid robots. my giants have had a few overpaid and/or under producing guys in the past few years but we liked them because they cared (zito), hustled (rowand) or at least tried (huff). on top of that, they were allowed to show some personality. are the yanks the only big spenders? no...but I think the sox have seen the light and their next team will be much more appealing to the fans, win or lose. the phillies spent a boatload too but a lot of that was on homegrown guys. the angels? fuck them, too :lol:

you're stuck with a-fraud and tex. jeter, too, to an extent. IMHO, the yankees would be better better off in eating as much bad payroll as they can and essentially starting over. it's not gonna get any better with THIS bunch.

Regarding the ballpark. I like the building, hate the atmosphere. Wish the upper level was closer to the field. My one physical complaint.

And without going sentence by sentence, do you know how many times all of that has been said since 2001? Probably every year they didn't win it all. Now granted they have only one one world series, but they have been in the playoffs all but one year. Every fucking year they are too old, don't care, primadonna free agents, this, that, and everything else. And every.fucking.year they are in the playoffs. People loved the 2009 team just fine, right? When you win everyone loves you, when you lose everyone has something to say. If this team was hitting walk off after walk off there would be plenty of fan connection, but it has been a really strange season. The Phillies? Really? The Red Sox, really? When criticizing the Yankees you bring up the biggest two choke jobs of the year? You are absolutely insane to think the next Red Sox team isn't going to be built on free agency. That is the exact reason they made that trade.

And all it has to be is the appearance of hustling, right? Arod, when healthy, busts his ass on every play. So just because Rowand was actually terrible but looked like he was hustling (but actually just sucked) makes it different from Arod who everyone thinks doesn't care and isn't hustling just because he is struggling and gets paid more than anyone.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    chavez cleanup

gardner leading off
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And without going sentence by sentence, do you know how many times all of that has been said since 2001? Probably every year they didn't win it all. Now granted they have only one one world series, but they have been in the playoffs all but one year. Every fucking year they are too old, don't care, primadonna free agents, this, that, and everything else. And every.fucking.year they are in the playoffs.

true. I just think they're aging badly and the arod/texeira contracts become worse with every passing year.

they won in 2009. they're older and they're not winning now. I really think it's time to blow this thing up as much as possible (which probably isn't much).

you're a baseball guy, cliffy....I totally respect that...just had to add my 2 cents to this year's most fascinating postseason story ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    chavez cleanup

gardner leading off

Say what?!?!? 7 hours till the game...the lineup is out?
    imalive wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I thought of that....but SF is a huge union town, land is mega expensive, there was a big money environmental cleanup involved and the stadium itself was more of a building challenge.

then again, the giants paid for their stadium while yours had tax dollars involved :roll:

Also the Deegan runs about an 1/4 of a mile from the Stadium. WHen you go there you'll see. It had to be a nightmare to build. There was just no easy way to get shit to it.
    I know tonight's not game isn't game 7 but it sure feels like it.
    DS1119 wrote:

Also the Deegan runs about an 1/4 of a mile from the Stadium. WHen you go there you'll see.

what makes you think I ever want to go there? :shock: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    imalive wrote:

the stadium....I've never been there but it looks like you bought a bill of goods for $1.5B....maybe it's got steakhouses and strip clubs but on TV it's an unappealing, symmetrical, blue blob. you NEVER hear of it in a "best ballpark" rating. .

doesn't help when the place empties after the opposing team grabs a 3 run lead. :lol:

sorry--i couldn't resist.
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

And without going sentence by sentence, do you know how many times all of that has been said since 2001? Probably every year they didn't win it all. Now granted they have only one one world series, but they have been in the playoffs all but one year. Every fucking year they are too old, don't care, primadonna free agents, this, that, and everything else. And every.fucking.year they are in the playoffs.

true. I just think they're aging badly and the arod/texeira contracts become worse with every passing year.

they won in 2009. they're older and they're not winning now. I really think it's time to blow this thing up as much as possible (which probably isn't much).

you're a baseball guy, cliffy....I totally respect that...just had to add my 2 cents to this year's most fascinating postseason story ;)

I hear you, but they have been too old every year. Shit, it's just because they aren't hitting. Last year they played less games and I don't recall this much hysteria. I always say, winning a world series, unless you are clearly the best team in baseball is all about being a good team and getting hot a the right time. The Yankees went into their biggest slump of the season at the worst possible time. The fact of the matter is that this team is likely going to end up a couple wins away from going to the World Series with an offense that disappeared for the past 2 weeks.

Arod contract is terrible. Nothing you can do about it. When healthy, he is still an above average third baseman though. Nothing anyone can do about it at this point. Tex's contact is too much, but this team spends more than anyone, they can handle it, and he is still a fine first baseman. The Arod one blows, no two ways about it, but he's not going anywhere. Point being, these guys contracts are not stopping the Yankees from winning it all.

Swisher is gone after this year, it seems. Soriano is likely gone this year. Granderson, great guy, but I hope is gone after next year. Arod, Tex, CC, Jeter (for the near future) and hopefully Cano are here for the long haul.

Yankees are goign to have a few bucks to spend this offseason, even with the $189 million which isn't going to happen.
    DS1119 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Also the Deegan runs about an 1/4 of a mile from the Stadium. WHen you go there you'll see. It had to be a nightmare to build. There was just no easy way to get shit to it.

It is also just a massive structure. There are a lot of things that contributed to the high cost, the location being a big one of them.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    there really is no such thing as a bad contract as far as the yankees go ... they don't need to derive value out of their players ... they just need to win ... at the end of the day ... that money has given them consistent post season experiences and in baseball where only a fraction make the playoffs - that's money well spent ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    there really is no such thing as a bad contract as far as the yankees go ... they don't need to derive value out of their players ... they just need to win ... at the end of the day ... that money has given them consistent post season experiences and in baseball where only a fraction make the playoffs - that's money well spent ...

Exactly.
    imalive wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Also the Deegan runs about an 1/4 of a mile from the Stadium. WHen you go there you'll see.

what makes you think I ever want to go there? :shock: :lol:

I don't know. I guess I was just trying to be polite instead of saying you've never been there etc. :lol:

It's just a tough spot. Major road next to it...fully functioning stadium right next to it...subayw line running right behind the outfield wall so they gave height restrictions...they essentially built a network of underground roads and shit to get to the location. It was a nightmare. :fp:
    imalive wrote:

the stadium....I've never been there but it looks like you bought a bill of goods for $1.5B....maybe it's got steakhouses and strip clubs but on TV it's an unappealing, symmetrical, blue blob. you NEVER hear of it in a "best ballpark" rating. .

doesn't help when the place empties after the opposing team grabs a 3 run lead. :lol:

Like I said, I like the building physically, hate the atmosphere right now

And I must say, once the outcome of the game is pretty much determined, I often leave my seats and just watch in standing room near the exit to make life easier. Would probably be different if I wasn't travelling so far though and didn't go to so many games.
    OK...it COST $1.5 billion; not WORTH $1.5 billion ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i like sitting maybe swish and starting gardner.
    the lineups not up yet , is it ?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Yeah, I think I would go with whoever has the best numbers off righties, or Verlander specifically. Lots of lefty bat options so who knows. Arod would probably actually be the best bet to sit, but we'll see.

Maybe?

Ichrio
    Swisher
    Tex
    Cano
    Ibanez
    Granderson
    Chavez
    Martin
    Nix

7 lefty bats in a row :lol: Yeah, not gonna happen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Yeah, I think I would go with whoever has the best numbers off righties, or Verlander specifically. Lots of lefty bat options so who knows. Arod would probably actually be the best bet to sit, but we'll see.

I think I herd this morning that ARod has the best numbers career wise against Verlander but he's not touching that fastball right now. :fp:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Like I said, I like the building physically, hate the atmosphere right now

And I must say, once the outcome of the game is pretty much determined, I often leave my seats and just watch in standing room near the exit to make life easier. Would probably be different if I wasn't travelling so far though and didn't go to so many games.

alcs, game 1...you are leaving down 4 in the 8th inning? no excuse for that cliff. entire sections in the upper level were empty for those extra innings.

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    alcs, game 1...you are leaving down 4 in the 8th inning? no excuse for that cliff. entire sections in the upper level were empty for those extra innings.

:lol:

I'm not justifying anything. As I said about 952 times in the past 24 hours, the energy has been sucked out of that place by a combination of the Yankees offense and the no fun police. I did leave my bleacher seat for the bottom of the 13th in game 4 but didn't miss a pitch.
    i saw a lineup on espn ..but i was across the room

gardner
    ichiro
    arod
    chavez
    cano
    tex
    swish
    martin
    nix

maybe it was someone's idea and not the real thing
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    no core 4 in the lineup

:(
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life

gardner
    ichiro
    arod
    chavez
    cano
    tex
    swish
    martin
    nix

Arod third? He must have pictures of Girardi with a goat or something. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:

gardner
    ichiro
    arod
    chavez
    cano
    tex
    swish
    martin
    nix

:lol: I don't think that is the real lineup. None of the beat writers have it yet.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

gardner
    ichiro
    arod
    chavez
    cano
    tex
    swish
    martin
    nix

:lol: I don't think that is the real lineup. None of the beat writers have it yet.

it was on espn ....but maybe it was what someone THOUGHT they should do?
    i don't know

it was on espn ....but maybe it was what someone THOUGHT they should do?
    i don't know

Most likely. They have a lot of time to fill.
  • DS1119 wrote:

gardner
    ichiro
    arod
    chavez
    cano
    tex
    swish
    martin
    nix

:lol::lol: Better not be MY goat. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Where's ibanez in that lineup, no way that's real.